Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,132 members, 7,821,872 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? (1891 Views)

Does Life Continue After Death. Psalm 146 Vs 4, Genesis 3 Vs 19, Job 14 Vs 14 Ex / Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? / What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:26pm On Dec 13, 2023
Aemmyjah:

Tctrills says that God cursed Adam and Eve and pronounced death to show he loves them
Ask him to reciprocate such love to his son na

He is not bothered about what anyone says as long as they're not insisting he obey the same rules with them. So anybody is OK no matter their religion except JWs because we insist that once you're not obedient to our line of thought you can't be a worshiper of our God. wink
Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by Janosky: 9:40pm On Dec 13, 2023
Emusan:

Matt 28:19 has always been part of the inspired Word of God.

But for NWT of JWs, definitely it added so many spurious words that were never part of any known manuscripts in possession today to sugarcoat their many unsupported doctrines.

Emusan LYING miscreant.
WAILER DECEIVING HIMSELF.
grin grin gringrin
Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by Babinski: 11:50pm On Dec 13, 2023
oteneaaron:

Interesting.

Pray tell, how I am being deceitful when I was only sharing that the Catholic Church themselves admitted in their Encyclopedia that they did change the wordings of Matthew 28 VS 19?

I took my time to check out the references you shared, but unfortunately, the issue still persist.

The Quora link you shared contained numerous opinions for and against the notion that the Catholic Church altered Matthew 28 VS 19.

George E. Howard in 1985, published a translation of Shem Tob's Hebrew Gospel of Matthew.

I couldn't get my hands on this translation by George E. Howard - if you have it can you show me what Matthew 28 VS 19 says in that translation?

William L. Peterson of the Pennsylvania State University, Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies published a paper titled - Some Observations on a Recent Edition of and Introduction to Shem-Tob's "Hebrew Matthew"

In the paper, this is the only thing he said about Shem Tob's version of Matthew 28 VS 19:

If you have the translation, please share with me exactly what Matthew 28 VS 19 says.

Here is a link to the paper - http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/vol03/Petersen1998a.html

The fact still remains the the Catholic Church themselves made clearly said this in their own Encyclopedia:

So what gives?

To me, where the deceit comes in on this issue is the attempt to mixup events and blur timelines.

The original Matthew Gospel was written in Aramaic (losely referred to as Hebrew) in the 1st Century AD. Shortly after, Greek translations appeared with the earliest dating to the 1st Century and all these Greek translations contained the Trinitarian formula in their reproduction of Matthew 28:19

The Shem-Tob's Hebrew Matthew Gospel which did not contain the Trinitarian formula and which is the cornerstone of your argument was written in the 14th Century, more than 1200 years after the original Matthew Gospel and the early Greek translations. The fact that it is written in Hebrew does not erode the huge gap between it and the original that it purports to reproduce which leave ample room for errors. How can a reproduction with such wide gap in years be expected to be taken as closer to the original than the translations and reproductions that appeared only decades after the original?

I have seen some people falsely try to date Shem-Tob's Hebrew Matthew Gospel to the period of the original Matthew Gospel (which was written in Aramaic with the Aramaic language being labeled as Hebrew) and then allude to it being a more exact version of the original Matthew Gospel on the basis of language, particularly when it is the oldest existing Hebrew version of the Matthew Gospel. Mind you, while Aramaic and Hebrew belong to the same Linguistic classification of Northwest Semitic languages, the two are not exactly the same language. Therefore Shem-Tob's Hebrew Matthew Gospel is also a translation, and a translation made more than 1200 years after the original Gospel was written.

Also, note that Shem-Tob's Hebrew Matthew Gospel was first discovered included in a 14th-century work Eben Boḥan (The Touchstone) which is an anti-Christian treatise written by a Spanish Jewish Rabbi Shem-Tov ben Isaac ben Shaprut. In the book the Rabbi argued against the fact that Jesus is God, which is essentially an argument against Trinity. So his inclusion of a version of Matthew Gospel that does not contain elements of Trinitarian doctrine is not strange based on his objectives.

Secondly, baptisms in the early Church were done in the name of Jesus as exemplified by several verses in the Book of Acts of the Apostles such as Acts 2:38. However around the 2nd to 3rd Century, the Catholic Church changed their baptismal formula to align with Trinitarian doctrine. Thus baptisms were now conducted in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. This was the issue referred to in the Catholic Encyclopedia and not any alteration of Matthew 28:19 or any Bible verse.

I presume you are not a Christian, however understanding the difference between changing a religious procedure and altering a Bible verse shouldn't be difficult.

References:

https://restorationministries.angelfire.com/baptism.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shem_Tob%27s_Hebrew_Gospel_of_Matthew
Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by Emusan(m): 8:14am On Dec 14, 2023
Janosky:

Emusan LYING miscreant.
WAILER DECEIVING HIMSELF.
grin grin gringrin

Glad you couldn't counter my point.
Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by OgaNightmare(m): 10:51am On Dec 14, 2023
oteneaaron:
At this point, we have to ask some very important questions:

1. Since we have solid proof that the Catholic Church altered Matthew 28 VS 19, what other Bible verses have they altered?

2. Can we really trust the Bible with this sort of evidence?

3. What if we dug deeper into the Bible and found out that many other verses were altered by the Catholic Church - what happens in that case?

Don't forget that the Bible as we know it today, was practically given to the world by the Catholic Church - it was they who canonized the entire books of the bible.

I knew this way back 2020 when I was active on the Beorean Pickets Forum owned by Exjw Eric Wilson.

It's so funny how the NWT omits and alters some verses because it doesn't appear in some manuscripts but take this as an exception 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Bart Erhmans "THE ORTHODOX CORRUPTION OF SCRIPTURE" has a lot to say about how Christian Scribes had to alter several verses to preserve Orthodoxy. Especially when it has to do with "higher christology".

1 Like

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by OgaNightmare(m): 10:54am On Dec 14, 2023
oteneaaron:
Jehovah's Witnesses as a religious organization are one of few sects of Christianity who have vehemently refused doctrine of the Trinity.

They claim that the doctrine of Trinity is a pagan practice.

But when we check out their own translation of the Bible aka The New World Translation, we find the same alteration from the Catholic Church.

The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses claim that they are the only channel of communication with God in these times we live.

They also claim that the Jehovah's Witness organization is the only true religion.

Now, I have a couple of questions:

1. If they are only true religion and only they are sole channel of communication with God, why couldn't they recognize the alteration of Matthew 28 VS 19 by the Catholic Church?

2. Why did they add the same mistake or alteration to their own translation of the Bible?

3. Why do they follow this exact formula as created by the Catholic Church when practicing baptism in their religion?

4. Does this mean that Jehovah's Witnesses are in reality, in full support of the doctrine of the Trinity?

What do you think?

CC: Janosky, MaxInDHouse, Aemmyjah, Cornelboy, Archoladey, Courz, Emusan, Maynman, tctrills

The average Jw knows nothing of Systematic Theology talkless of advance fields like TEXTUAL & SOURCE CRITICISM.🤣

Their Bible translation was attempted by non-scholars who used a Greek master text made by Wescott & Hort who are Catholic scholars

3 Likes

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by OgaNightmare(m): 11:04am On Dec 14, 2023
oteneaaron:

Was this verse altered during that particular council?

I know for a fact that the doctrine of Trinity was promulgated during that Nicean council.

No

Trinity existed before Nicea as early as the 2nd century. We have info from Apostolic father's like Tertulian;

[/b]First, he strongly emphasizes that these(Father, Son& Holy Spirit) are truly three; none of the three is identical to any other. They are “undivided” in the sense that the Father, in sharing some of his matter, never loses any; rather, that matter comes to simultaneously compose more than one being. The Father is one entity, the Son is a second, and the Spirit is a third. Nor are they parts of any whole; the latter two simply share some of the Father’s divine stuff.[b]

The main issue at the Council of Nicea was the [/b]ARIAN CONTROVERSY[b]

The issue wether the father and the son were of the same [/b] SUBSTANCE[b]
Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by OgaNightmare(m): 11:12am On Dec 14, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
There needs to be definitive evidence to show that this change was made. All those comments amount to hearsay as they do not point to exactly which manuscripts were tampered with by the religion of Christianity — the catholic church its mother church. undecided

It's not hearsay. It's a well known fact in both Evangelical and academic circles among scholars of the New Testament.

You can register a free course on TEXTUAL CRITICISM online from any accredited Seminary and you'll even discover more than this. This is just the to of the iceberg.
Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by OgaNightmare(m): 11:14am On Dec 14, 2023
cornelboy:

Critical thinkers with different beliefs 🤣🤣🤣 do they even believe in any infinite mind like you do?
Thinking rubbish doesn't mean you think critically.

Have you ever experienced that feeling when some kiss your a.s.s?
Max's a.s.s is delicious and I kiss it without hesitation.

So critical thinking means all of them have to be identical?

Are you sure your brain is not on vacation?🙄
Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by cornelboy(f): 12:11pm On Dec 14, 2023
OgaNightmare:

So critical thinking means all of them have to be identical?

Are you sure your brain is not on vacation?🙄
Lol he's claiming that he thinks critically and that's why he believes in an infinite mind, atheist claim the same thing too and conclude on something else, I claim the same thing too and conclude that there's must be a mastermind mind behind the universe.....
So which of us is the real critical thinker, or are we all correct? cheesy cheesy cheesy

I know I have sent your brain on an errand now grin grin grin
Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:56pm On Dec 14, 2023
OgaNightmare:

So critical thinking means all of them have to be identical? Are you sure your brain is not on vacation?🙄
CRITICAL THINKING!

It simply means you questioning your beliefs so what stops you from asking why different beliefs if it's just one God?
Or that doesn't sound CRITICAL enough to you?
Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by OgaNightmare(m): 2:45pm On Dec 14, 2023
cornelboy:

Lol he's claiming that he thinks critically and that's why he believes in an infinite mind, atheist claim the same thing too and conclude on something else, I claim the same thing too and conclude that there's must be a mastermind mind behind the universe.....
So which of us is the real critical thinker, or are we all correct? cheesy cheesy cheesy

I know I have sent your brain on an errand now grin grin grin

Critical thinking involves skillfull conceptualization, evaluating and analysing information gathered from, or generated by, observation.

Otennaranon I guess is a Pantheist and his own definition of "God" is different from that of a regular church goer. And you said atheist claim to think critically but don't believe in an "infinite mind" as if you got any good case against atheism when your cheap "doctrines can't even hold up to scrutiny.

The infinite mind you're talking about is a bloodthirsty psycho worshipped by the ancient Hebrews. His exploits are already recorded in your Old Testament.....which I don't think you even spend time to look into it
Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by OgaNightmare(m): 2:54pm On Dec 14, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

CRITICAL THINKING!

It simply means you questioning your beliefs so what stops you from asking why different beliefs if it's just one God?
Or that doesn't sound CRITICAL enough to you?

Nope

You already started with a conclusion that there's just "One God" which is indeed a logical fallacy of begging the question, because
the premise already assumes the truth of the conclusion.
Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by Kobojunkiee: 3:15pm On Dec 14, 2023
OgaNightmare:
It's not hearsay. It's a well known fact in both Evangelical and academic circles among scholars of the New Testament. You can register a free course on TEXTUAL CRITICISM online from any accredited Seminary and you'll even discover more than this. This is just the to of the iceberg.
If this is not hearsay where is the evidence for the claim made? undecided
Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:23pm On Dec 14, 2023
OgaNightmare:

Nope
You already started with a conclusion that there's just "One God" which is indeed a logical fallacy of begging the question, because
the premise already assumes the truth of the conclusion.

With your so called CRITICAL THINKING why not prove to all religionist claiming they believe in one God that it's not the same God?

CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS is not just about arguing hopelessly and fruitlessly you criticize something hopefully to get a better understanding that will help everyone around you. So are you of the opinion that everyone around you are worshiping the same God or you believe the Gods are numerous?
Prove your thinking skill is superb by presenting a unique conclusion that shows wisdom! wink

1 Like

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by Janosky: 3:25pm On Dec 14, 2023
OgaNightmare:

Critical thinking involves skillfull conceptualization, evaluating and analysing information gathered from, or generated by, observation.

Otennaranon I guess is a Pantheist and his own definition of "God" is different from that of a regular church goer. And you said atheist claim to think critically but don't believe in an "infinite mind" as if you got any good case against atheism when your cheap "doctrines can't even hold up to scrutiny.

The infinite mind you're talking about is a bloodthirsty psycho worshipped by the ancient Hebrews. His exploits are already recorded in your Old Testament.....which I don't think you even spend time to look into it

OgaNightMare's doing "critical thinking" alias cowardice inside OgaNightMare's congregation Worshipping the God YHWH whose "exploits are already recorded in the old testament."

Oga Cowardice !!!!!.

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:25pm On Dec 14, 2023
OgaNightmare:

So you believe the Bible God is a monster.

That sounds critical enough but do you know a better God that we can place side by side with the God of Israel?
You can't condemn something when you've not been able to present a better offer.

The God of Israel has made a promise and He has fulfilled it today so tell me the name of your own God and how better your God is when compare to the Bible God! smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by Janosky: 3:29pm On Dec 14, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

With your so called CRITICAL THINKING why not prove to all religionist claiming they believe in one God that it's not the same God?

CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS is not just about arguing hopelessly and fruitlessly you criticize something hopefully to get a better understanding that will help everyone around you. So are you of the opinion that everyone around you are worshiping the same God or you believe the Gods are numerous?
Prove your thinking skill is superb by presenting a unique conclusion that shows wisdom! wink

No mind that IBERIBEIST forming WOKE.

Dem go dey practice spiritism dey form "critical thinking."
. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:31pm On Dec 14, 2023
Janosky:

OgaNightMare's doing "critical thinking" alias cowardice inside OgaNightMare's congregation Worshipping the God YHWH whose "exploits are already recorded in the old testament."
Oga Cowardice !!!!!.
grin grin grin grin

NO! His account was hacked back then so he has recovered it because no sane human can type such a thing and still come back to say his God doesn't worth worshiping.

Ọmọ you have to be very careful o, it seems we have been chatting with psychopaths on this forum walahi talahi!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by Janosky: 3:58pm On Dec 14, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

NO! His account was hacked back then so he has recovered it because no sane human can type such a thing and still come back to say his God doesn't worth worshiping.

Ọmọ you have to be very careful o, it seems we have been chatting with psychopaths on this forum walahi talahi!

Brother Max you finish work!
Max my Bro get Doctorate Degree to express Sarcasm.

grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:02pm On Dec 14, 2023
Janosky:

Brother Max you finish work!
Max my Bro get Doctorate Degree to express Sarcasm.
grin grin grin grin

I was just trying to REASON with him when i saw the screenshot of his post this same year and i was lost in thought!

2 Likes

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by OgaNightmare(m): 7:21pm On Dec 14, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

You just deviated from the topic to babble nonsense as usual.

You're a living example of an automaton.

2 Likes

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by OgaNightmare(m): 7:22pm On Dec 14, 2023
Janosky:

Oga Cowardice !!!!!.

grin grin grin grin

Dem don use this one brain do rituals.

Read your comment again and see if it makes any sense. I've always known you to be a mentally ill scaliwag.

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by OgaNightmare(m): 7:25pm On Dec 14, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Is your brain aware of this comment?
No wonder Courz always treat you guys as the morons you are. I thought he was on the extreme but this just proved he's right.

You're a disgrace to adulthood, I wonder the type of children you'll end up raising.

2 Likes

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by OgaNightmare(m): 7:27pm On Dec 14, 2023
Janosky:

Oga Cowardice !!!!!.

grin grin grin grin

Janosky this thing were your papa do you no good.

Which parent's in his right senses will exchange his child's brain for wealth?

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by cornelboy(f): 7:42pm On Dec 14, 2023
OgaNightmare:

.....which I don't think you even spend time to look into it

The infinite mind you're talking about is a bloodthirsty psycho worshipped by the ancient Hebrews. His exploits are already recorded in your Old Testament
Tell this to otenearon 😂😂

So which of the critical thinking is accurate, that the universe came by chance or was designed by an intelligent being?

1 Like

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:26pm On Dec 14, 2023
OgaNightmare:

You just deviated from the topic to babble nonsense as usual. You're a living example of an automaton.
OgaNightmare:

Is your brain aware of this comment?
No wonder Courz always treat you guys as the morons you are. I thought he was on the extreme but this just proved he's right.
You're a disgrace to adulthood, I wonder the type of children you'll end up raising.
You don't have a problem Sir it's me that's my own problem so forgive me Sir God will always give you more knowledge and wisdom to deal with all your enemies! grin

2 Likes

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:29pm On Dec 14, 2023
cornelboy:

Tell this to otenearon 😂😂
So which of the critical thinking is accurate, that the universe came by chance or was designed by an intelligent being?

Have you met professor Wellington before?

Well he is the MOST TALENTED, MOST INTELLIGENT, MOST EDUCATED, MOST OUTSPOKEN and MOST CREATIVE human being on this planet but MOST PEOPLE around him don't know about all these fine qualities simply because Wellington is a mad man! undecided

1 Like

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by Janosky: 10:40pm On Dec 15, 2023
OgaNightmare:

Dem don use this one brain do rituals.

Read your comment again and see if it makes any sense. I've always known you to be a mentally ill scaliwag.

Psalm 94 the decree of JEHOVAH the God of Vengeance descend on you Oga Mumu Coward hiding among JEHOVAH'S people !!!!!

Isaiah 54:17
"No weapon that is formed against you shall prevail, and every tongue that shall arise against you in judgment you shall condemn. This is the inheritance of the Servants of LORD JEHOVAH, and their righteousness is from before me, says LORD JEHOVAH"

Mumu Coward. grin gringrin grin grin
."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by Maynman: 11:12pm On Dec 15, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
Manuscripts of the Gospel of Matthew

You sent papyrus not manuscript, papyrus may not be more than half a paper.
Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by OgaNightmare(m): 1:03pm On Dec 16, 2023
Janosky:

Psalm 94 the decree of JEHOVAH the God of Vengeance descend on you Oga Mumu Coward hiding among JEHOVAH'S people !!!!!

Isaiah 54:17
"No weapon that is formed against you shall prevail, and every tongue that shall arise against you in judgment you shall condemn. This is the inheritance of the Servants of LORD JEHOVAH, and their righteousness is from before me, says LORD JEHOVAH"

Mumu Coward. grin gringrin grin grin
."

You just proved me right once again.

Maggot infested brain 🤣
Re: Was Matthew 28 VS 19 Altered By The Catholic Church? by Kobojunkiee: 8:19pm On Jan 24
OgaNightmare:
■ It's not hearsay. It's a well known fact in both Evangelical and academic circles among scholars of the New Testament.
You can register a free course on TEXTUAL CRITICISM online from any accredited Seminary and you'll even discover more than this. This is just the to of the iceberg.
1. The hearsay of the religious l-minded just that hearsay. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Did Jesus Know When He Will Return Back To Earth Please Bible References. / Why Always Women Falls Under Anointing And Not Men? / Prayer Network Line

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.