Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,787 members, 7,813,602 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) (19833 Views)

South Africa's Mamelodi Sundowns Wins Inaugural Africa Football League PICS) / Rwanda Signs New Deal With French Football King PSG - #visitrwanda / Victor Moses: From An Asylum-Seeking Orphan To Premier League Winner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 8:23pm On Dec 13, 2023
Newly crowned CAF 2023 African Player of The Year, Victor Osimhen, on Tuesday penned a gratifying message to celebrate his top prize, PUNCH Sports Extra reports.

In an extended message posted on his X account, the Napoli striker told an inspiring story of how he started as a hawker on the streets of Olusosun in Lagos to becoming a global icon in football.

On Monday, the Napoli striker beat Morocco’s Achraf Hakimi and Egypt’s Mohamed Salah to the star prize at the awards ceremony in Marrakech.

Reflecting on his journey to stardom, the 24-year-old wrote,
“As a young boy who came from the streets of Olusosun, who had to hawk in traffic almost every day of the week while growing in order to survive the numerous challenges my family and I were facing, becoming a Treasure in Africa and World Football was a wild dream. Words can’t express the joy in my heart; this is a very special moment for me.

“My football journey has been a rollercoaster of highs, tough lows and emotions. The goals, echoes and jubilation of victories keep me going even when the critics, hate and pain of defeats hit me hard in the chest. The support of my amazing family, my fans most especially my Nigerian supporters and the love for the beautiful game of football motivates me to aim higher daily.”

He added,
“Losing my dear parents in the course of this journey leaves a scar in my heart as they have always been my major driving force for success since I was a kid, may their souls continue to rest in peace.

“To my wonderful family thanks for always having my back and loving me so much. I wouldn’t have made it this far without your esteemed support.

“To my fans and Nigerian supporters, your dedication in supporting me on the good days and bad days do not go unnoticed, even amidst the arrows of hatred thrown at me y’all still stood by my side. I am grateful.

“Winning the CAF Best African Player 2023 is a testament to my hard work, your love and support. I am so proud of myself for achieving this prestigious award.

“Thank you CAF, to all the coaches I have played under both local and international, your wisdom and knowledge have played huge roles in guiding my footballing career, thank you so much.

“I am sure my parents in heaven are smiling at me, this is for you.

“I also congratulate Chiamaka Nnadozie and Asisat Oshoala for their prestigious awards. Dreams do come true! Thank you, everyone, GOD is the greatest.”

PUNCH

77 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Bliss62: 8:26pm On Dec 13, 2023

Never knew he is an orphan

May his parents continue to rest in peace

More grace and accolades I wish him

104 Likes 9 Shares

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Zxcvbnmghtr: 8:35pm On Dec 13, 2023
lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by UselessBuharist: 8:41pm On Dec 13, 2023
Grace, mercy and hard work

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by kcdendelo: 8:41pm On Dec 13, 2023
Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by festacman(m): 8:42pm On Dec 13, 2023
Our own star boy!

If you understand how tough the career prospect of a typical young Nigerian grassroot football player is, you will appreciate how CRUCIAL the moment Emmanuel Amuneke chose him over other strikers in camp was.

Little wonder he recognized Amuneke's role in his acceptance speech in spite of a video that was mischievously circulated before the award.

I wanted to say: now let's go get the African Cup of Nations but then I remembered that we have Peseiro as coach and his brother Uzoho as goalkeeper. grin

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Helpfromabove1(m): 8:42pm On Dec 13, 2023
Every one had a story before glory

Go through the story to get to the glory

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Toluabigr8(m): 8:42pm On Dec 13, 2023
SHARE FOR OSIMHEN LIKE FOR YAKUBU AYEGBENI grin

20 Likes 50 Shares

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Hustle4Naira(m): 8:43pm On Dec 13, 2023
Very Inspiring
Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Emperormartin(m): 8:43pm On Dec 13, 2023
All of us will live to tell our stories...

For now, we keep striving

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Sucre6: 8:43pm On Dec 13, 2023
Omo ologo cool

One chukwu goziri cool

#AgbaBaller
Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Hendrixky: 8:43pm On Dec 13, 2023
Damnnn niggar

Osimhen my niggar

Do not despise the days of your little beginning

Me personally never had it rough when growing up

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by jaksmillioniar: 8:44pm On Dec 13, 2023
Gosh so sad he will feel like crying dat his greatest time his parents are not dere. I know how how it feel. I cry as a baby too on my wedding when I cant see my father to snap pix wit.on d day of our glory our love ones will be dere. Say Amen

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Bimpe29: 8:45pm On Dec 13, 2023
No pain no gain. Congratulations bro!

1 Like

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Wealthoptulent(m): 8:45pm On Dec 13, 2023
Odewaleadesoye:
Newly crowned CAF 2023 African Player of The Year, Victor Osimhen, on Tuesday penned a gratifying message to celebrate his top prize, PUNCH Sports Extra reports.

In an extended message posted on his X account, the Napoli striker told an inspiring story of how he started as a hawker on the streets of Olusosun in Lagos to becoming a global icon in football.

On Monday, the Napoli striker beat Morocco’s Achraf Hakimi and Egypt’s Mohamed Salah to the star prize at the awards ceremony in Marrakech.

Reflecting on his journey to stardom, the 24-year-old wrote,

He added,

PUNCH
We all have a story to tell one day, my background was very good no hawking no face me i face u experiences , had smooth journey till I married a WRONG woman! My ex wife no be human being!

5 Likes

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Rebuker(m): 8:46pm On Dec 13, 2023
Wow, now I understand why Asisat called him my boy from Olusosun. Looks like Asisat Oshola have known each other long before stardom.

https://www.nairaland.com/7938096/come-victor-thats-boy-says

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hziK5LVPB2Y
Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Houseofglam7(f): 8:46pm On Dec 13, 2023
🥺
Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by abobote: 8:46pm On Dec 13, 2023
Very emotional. This is just the beginning, more are coming

1 Like

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by God2man2again(m): 8:46pm On Dec 13, 2023
Inspiring to be converted to movie to inspire others not to lose focus in life.
Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by israelmao(m): 8:47pm On Dec 13, 2023
"You don't need to start great but you can start small to be great"Some young guys are out there living on hard drugs and excessive alcohol because of one little challenge,here is an orphan and hawker who made it against odds.Congratulations Osimhen,your story is a source of inspiration to those who are about giving or have given up.

3 Likes

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by oluadex99(m): 8:48pm On Dec 13, 2023
Ok
Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Shattuck(m): 8:48pm On Dec 13, 2023
A king and more

1 Like

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Shurtman79(m): 8:48pm On Dec 13, 2023
Such is life! Congratulations tongue

1 Like

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Fatbam005: 8:50pm On Dec 13, 2023
Toluabigr8:
SHARE FOR OSIMHEN LIKE FOR YAKUBU AYEGBENI grin
dry joke. We have an inspiring story at hand

1 Like

Re: My Story As Hawker And Orphan To Africa’s Football King – Osimhen (Pictures) by Ykc2(m): 8:50pm On Dec 13, 2023
He hawked in lagos Streets to survive but some people will tell you how they accommodated him in lagos gave him free house gave hih family family free land to build on grin awon accomodators grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Celebrates Golden Eaglets' Victory; Urges Them To Go For The Cup / Amusan Is World Champion, As Nigerian Quartet Breaks 30-Year African Record / PHOTOS: Fans Turn Out For The Bundesliga Trophy In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.