Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,768 members, 7,813,548 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? (17098 Views)

Ask For Ur American & Japanese Vehicle's Parts Including Bumper & Lights / The Dubai Police Force Has The Largest Collection Of Luxury Cars In The World. / Collections Of Luxury Cars In Dubai Police Force Fleet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by DamnnNiggarr: 4:01pm On Dec 16, 2023
Do police have the jurisdiction to demand nor ask for driver's license?

I was highly frustrated today, while I was on my way rushing to an event to meet up with the 10:00 AM deadline for the event which I was also the chairman, a group of some fiercely-looking police officers flagged down my vehicle and I slowed down.

One of the officers came towards my vehicle, ordered me to come out from the car and started demanding for my driver's license. I was like, what is going on?

In as much as I am aware that police officers have taken it upon themselves to be asking people for their vehicle particulars, which is a good way of tracking stolen cars, they asked for it and I provided it, but asking people for their driver's license is what I think is out of the picture.

I tried to exercise my right as a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria by briefly dragging it with them initially, which I think this issue of police asking for driver's license had raised dust sometime ago, but I realized that I'm still in Nigeria, last last, I settled with 5k, this is with abeg o, after several hours and minutes had gone by, I arrived the event place by 01:15 PM, an event slated for 10:00 AM.

like I said earlier, asking for car particulars from people by the police is good, but asking for driver's license is where I think the issue lies. I thought anything that has to do with checking of drivers license is strictly under the jurisdiction of the FRSC?

I'm feeling nothing but anger and cheated which gave rise to many questions going through my mind;
Who gave the police officers the jurisdiction to be asking for driver's license?
Is there any amended law(s) that granted the police force that power?

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Thundafireseun: 4:07pm On Dec 16, 2023
No Nigerian has any rights

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Aminobrown(m): 4:14pm On Dec 16, 2023
This is Nigeria, where we only knw our rights but cannot exercise it. Nxt time, don't bother to argue with dem, rather jst provide whatever it is they are requesting for.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by adeniyi997: 4:21pm On Dec 16, 2023
Yes now , ahhah

7 Likes

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by DaddyYankee: 4:21pm On Dec 16, 2023
Yes Obidient

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by MrDoGood(m): 4:21pm On Dec 16, 2023
Next time, just park, smile, commend them for doing great job (they know say na lie sha, just praise them),

Then ask if they want to check papers or make you gift them small thing?

As far as your papers are correct, you have no issue. NO dey frown at them as if you guys have pending issues grin grin grin

105 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by JoshTim: 4:22pm On Dec 16, 2023
They do....

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by TheFacelessMan: 4:22pm On Dec 16, 2023
grin

" License and registration please ?"

A police officer to Rick Ross in " Speeding" video featuring R.Kelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCeEN-VVSac?si=chG1-i-FJKVJsrVf

People like you form tigers here in Nigeria, you are docile as kittens abroad. You will even add " Yes Sir, Good morning" when the guy doesn't greet you.

The bribe is what they shouldn't ask for. But yes, they are within their rights to flag you down.

Reminds me of the idiot that ran a security checkpoint because he said he was on his way to Germany and was shot. In Germany, I am 100% he wouldn't have done something that daft.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Ekiti360(m): 4:23pm On Dec 16, 2023
This is Nigeria, anything goes. Do not argue with a man with a gun grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Hamachi(f): 4:23pm On Dec 16, 2023
No, however, in the U.S. the first thing a cop asks you when stoped are 'licence and registration please'.

4 Likes

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by damosade(m): 4:23pm On Dec 16, 2023
yes naa, how do they know ur face, name compare with the vehicle particulars and if you are not the owner you will explain. and if you dont show them wetin your eyes go see dont come nairaland come explain because no one can prove law in this part of the world.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Jesusmystrength(f): 4:23pm On Dec 16, 2023
No
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by ogaontop(m): 4:23pm On Dec 16, 2023
They can ask for a licence to identify you in case of any offence.
A licence juxtaposed with the vehicle registration can easily tell them the car is not yours in the case of a stolen car.

I don't know if Nigeria has criminalized driving without a licence, but this should basically be the work of FRSC!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Patriotic9ja(m): 4:23pm On Dec 16, 2023
What offence did you commit to "settle them with 5k"? This is why i don't take one sided narratives seriously

29 Likes

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by SmartyPants(m): 4:24pm On Dec 16, 2023
Per Section 4 (d) of the Police Act, there is no offence the police cannot investigate and arrest for. And driving without a licence is an offence is it not?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Mcmichaelin1: 4:24pm On Dec 16, 2023
I think they have the right

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by jaxxy(m): 4:24pm On Dec 16, 2023
Yes they can even abroad cops do same.

but the question u should be asking is can I drive without a valid drivers license? And if I'm held for that am I OK or prepared for the consequences of my actions? undecided

8 Likes

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by IjebuWarrior: 4:24pm On Dec 16, 2023
Of course, they can. This OP must be Okoro Savage. angry

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by ATEAMS: 4:25pm On Dec 16, 2023
Na still government them bi ... ABI
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Johnjanrt: 4:25pm On Dec 16, 2023
grin
Some things you don't need to be told.
Never drag with them.

4 Likes

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by ednut1(m): 4:26pm On Dec 16, 2023
In every developed country police ask for drivers license. Why should Nigeria be different

15 Likes

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by SensualMan: 4:27pm On Dec 16, 2023
Over here hell yeah!

Dunno about that in the zoo. Never been asked of licence in the zoo before, their officers only salute me expecting a tip.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Crumbian: 4:27pm On Dec 16, 2023
Well...

I've seen American films where policemen ask for "license and registrations"

5 Likes

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Houseofglam7(f): 4:28pm On Dec 16, 2023
🫤
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by adisacool: 4:28pm On Dec 16, 2023
The question now is.
1. Do you have a valid drivers license?
2. Why did you settle if all requirements are met?
Please note that drivers license is not required to be asked but it is a necessary tools to have when you mount the steering.
In the presence of an accident that took life or not it can be rendered as break failure if a valid license is provided by the driver but if not the driver will be labeled as a murderer if he does not have a valid one.
Let's be guided and have the necessary document and ID for our own benefits.

4 Likes

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Woodshot: 4:28pm On Dec 16, 2023
Crumbian:
Well...

I've seen American films where policemen ask for "license and registrations"
grin

The Hollywood movies I saw had the cops asking for "license and registrations" and letting you go away when you've I.D yourself. Unlike their Nigerian counterparts where they would mostly demand for bribe before letting you go.

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Whois(m): 4:28pm On Dec 16, 2023
Do you want to teach them their work?
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by HateBigots: 4:28pm On Dec 16, 2023
Nonsense question... only criminals would be scared of showing drivers license.🚨🚨

4 Likes

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by blaise26abj(m): 4:29pm On Dec 16, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:
Do police have the jurisdiction to demand nor ask for driver's license?

I was highly frustrated today, while I was on my way rushing to an event to meet up with the 10:00 AM deadline for the event which I was also the chairman, a group of some fiercely-looking police officers flagged down my vehicle and I slowed down.

One of the officers came towards my vehicle, ordered me to come out from the car and started demanding for my driver's license. I was like, what is going on?

In as much as I am aware that police officers have taken it upon themselves to be asking people for their vehicle particulars, which is a good way of tracking stolen cars, they asked for it and I provided it, but asking people for their driver's license is what I think is out of the picture.

I tried to exercise my right as a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria by briefly dragging it with them initially, which I think this issue of police asking for driver's license had raised dust sometime ago, but I realized that I'm still in Nigeria, last last, I settled with 5k, this is with abeg o, after several hours and minutes had gone by, I arrived the event place by 01:15 PM, an event slated for 10:00 AM.

like I said earlier, asking for car particulars from people by the police is good, but asking for driver's license is where I think the issue lies. I thought anything that has to do with checking of drivers license is strictly under the jurisdiction of the FRSC?

I'm feeling nothing but anger and cheated which gave rise to many questions going through my mind;
Who gave the police officers the jurisdiction to be asking for driver's license?
Is there any amended law(s) that granted the police force that power?

Did you have your license or not ? Because how could you have wasted so much time there if you had it . You still paid on top . You cannot be driving if you don’t have a license.

5 Likes

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by viodemus: 4:29pm On Dec 16, 2023
yes.

If/when the igbos have a country, instead of backwards Nigeria, an ekelebe should ask for license, but those licenses should have a good way of determining that they are authentic, so that the ekelebe don't start asking you stupid validity questions, and delaying people without reason.

They should have situations where they can ask you for your license, either physical or digital. A more in depth way of verification can be explained at a later time. But they should be able to ask for it, including for specific particulars of a car.

What they shouldn't do is unnecessary check points or asking you for how you made your money, including probing for trade secrets that keeps a company ahead, due to intellectual or just a creative way to succeed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Bicycle Restoration Project / How To Know If You Have Been Under-dispensed At The Fuel Filling Station / Trailer Crushes Pregnant Woman, 3 Others In Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.