Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,256 members, 7,829,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? (17233 Views)

Ask For Ur American & Japanese Vehicle's Parts Including Bumper & Lights / The Dubai Police Force Has The Largest Collection Of Luxury Cars In The World. / Collections Of Luxury Cars In Dubai Police Force Fleet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by biggz82: 5:44pm On Dec 16, 2023
Why will you drive without your license, if you truly have a license i believe you would not waste time showing your telent rather you will present it and go your way.

Police have right to check anything and everything about vehicle documents including license.

Bros go do you license to avoid embarrassment.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by spencekat(m): 5:49pm On Dec 16, 2023
Thundafireseun:

Saraki , Rochas were both humiliated several times before us
Political persecution is different naa
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by advanceDNA: 5:53pm On Dec 16, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:

Is there any amended law(s) that granted the police force that power?

Oga .....
Police can ask for your license under the random stop and search policy as a means of identifying yourself and to link you to the ownership of the car...... u could be driving a stolen vehicle.....

2 Likes

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Whatisurproblem(m): 5:56pm On Dec 16, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:
Do police have the jurisdiction to demand nor ask for driver's license?

I was highly frustrated today, while I was on my way rushing to an event to meet up with the 10:00 AM deadline for the event which I was also the chairman, a group of some fiercely-looking police officers flagged down my vehicle and I slowed down.

One of the officers came towards my vehicle, ordered me to come out from the car and started demanding for my driver's license. I was like, what is going on?

In as much as I am aware that police officers have taken it upon themselves to be asking people for their vehicle particulars, which is a good way of tracking stolen cars, they asked for it and I provided it, but asking people for their driver's license is what I think is out of the picture.

I tried to exercise my right as a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria by briefly dragging it with them initially, which I think this issue of police asking for driver's license had raised dust sometime ago, but I realized that I'm still in Nigeria, last last, I settled with 5k, this is with abeg o, after several hours and minutes had gone by, I arrived the event place by 01:15 PM, an event slated for 10:00 AM.

like I said earlier, asking for car particulars from people by the police is good, but asking for driver's license is where I think the issue lies. I thought anything that has to do with checking of drivers license is strictly under the jurisdiction of the FRSC?

I'm feeling nothing but anger and cheated which gave rise to many questions going through my mind;
Who gave the police officers the jurisdiction to be asking for driver's license?

why you no get drivers license? Every security agency has the right to demand for your driver's license, they're not taking it from you, just checking it for identification. You can't have everything required by Law and beg police to pay Kobo. So you are wrong.

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by composure: 6:05pm On Dec 16, 2023
SURE
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by composure: 6:07pm On Dec 16, 2023
MrDoGood:
Next time, just park, smile, commend them for doing great job (they know say na lie sha, just praise them),

Then ask if they want to check papers or make you gift them small thing?

As far as your papers are correct, you have no issue. NO dey frown at them as if you guys have pending issues grin grin grin

This guy is a clever Nigerian

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Thundafireseun: 6:12pm On Dec 16, 2023
spencekat:
Political persecution is different naa

Any how you want to look at it it’s fine….

Truth remains that no Nigerian has rights
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Gajagojo: 6:26pm On Dec 16, 2023
TheFacelessMan:
grin

" License and registration please ?"

A police officer to Rick Ross in " Speeding" video featuring R.Kelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCeEN-VVSac?si=chG1-i-FJKVJsrVf

People like you form tigers here in Nigeria, you are docile as kittens abroad. You will even add " Yes Sir, Good morning" when the guy doesn't greet you.

The bribe is what they shouldn't ask for. But yes, they are within their rights to flag you down.

Reminds me of the idiot that ran a security checkpoint because he said he was on his way to Germany and was shot. In Germany, I am 100% he wouldn't have done something that daft.
We do not need any external reference to discuss NIGERIAN law

seeking external validation and abusing an imaginary person tells us where the inferiority complex lies
The question is simple and straightforward

In Nigeria are police authorised by law to demand to see drivers licence
Yes or no
If yes by what law. That is more helpful and informative than unnecessary externalization of self loathing
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by ppogba: 6:31pm On Dec 16, 2023
E be like say you just buy the car ni.

Stupid question on a stupid topic.

Maybe it is Boys Scout that have the right to ask for your DL.

Chairman of occasion running late.

Dey play.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Elsueno: 6:32pm On Dec 16, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:

Yes, they can demand for all necessary vehicle particulars including drivers license...it's mostly to confirm ur identity or something something.... grin
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Elsueno: 6:36pm On Dec 16, 2023
Lukepeter:

Clearly he doesn't na why he pay 5k, which means he has also enjoyed from the corrupt system which he criticises.

And I think the 3 years license is even 6k sef shocked
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by NwaliE01: 6:37pm On Dec 16, 2023
Yes sir. It should be part of their job. In abroad, the second thing police will ask after alcohol breath testing is your driver's licence.
It's in order for the police officer to ask for the driver's license.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by ppogba: 6:37pm On Dec 16, 2023
4ward4:
Yes, just to correspond the papers with the DL.
All is for your good and a sane society, because tomorrow your car might get stolen and the thief , will definitely have some question to answer once both names aren't same. You will be called upon,as all vehicles papers carries owners numbers.

What if the DL does not correspond with the car papers?

Please only say what you know.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by ppogba: 6:44pm On Dec 16, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:
I was just asking questions to learn.

I didn't know until now that police could ask someone for driver's license, because my over 10 years of driving, police has never asked about my driver's license, but they do ask about my car particulars steady.

With all due respect sir, you do not need more than two to three police flag down in a stop and search before they can ask for your DL. Ten years and police never asked for your DL?
The first thing a police officer asks for is your DL in any situation.

Please say another thing.

10 years driving without police ever asking for DL?

Nairaland na wa!
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by rickleye: 6:47pm On Dec 16, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:

I was highly frustrated today, while I was on my way rushing to an event to meet up with the 10:00 AM deadline for the event which I was also the chairman, a group of some fiercely-looking police officers flagged down my vehicle and I slowed down.

One of the officers came towards my vehicle, ordered me to come out from the car and started demanding for my driver's license. I was like, what is going on?

In as much as I am aware that police officers have taken it upon themselves to be asking people for their vehicle particulars, which is a good way of tracking stolen cars, they asked for it and I provided it, but asking people for their driver's license is what I think is out of the picture.

I tried to exercise my right as a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria by briefly dragging it with them initially, which I think this issue of police asking for driver's license had raised dust sometime ago, but I realized that I'm still in Nigeria, last last, I settled with 5k, this is with abeg o, after several hours and minutes had gone by, I arrived the event place by 01:15 PM, an event slated for 10:00 AM.

like I said earlier, asking for car particulars from people by the police is good, but asking for driver's license is where I think the issue lies. I thought anything that has to do with checking of drivers license is strictly under the jurisdiction of the FRSC?

I'm feeling nothing but anger and cheated which gave rise to many questions going through my mind;
Who gave the police officers the jurisdiction to be asking for driver's license?

As I use this phrase “ dey play “ I hope you have calmed down.
My anger towards the police is x10 what you are feeling.
That said
To answer the question

Do the police have the right to check vehicle particles YES - to make sure it isn’t stolen and you have paid your fines and registration isn’t expired.

Do they have the right to check your drivers license - YES to make sure you legally able to drive and drive that type of vehicle.

We are the source of our frustration.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by ppogba: 6:48pm On Dec 16, 2023
advanceDNA:

Oga .....
Police can ask for your license under the random stop and search policy as a means of identifying yourself and to link you to the ownership of the car...... u could be driving a stolen vehicle.....

Your first statement is correct but for the second, it is not a must that the DL must align with the vehicle's papers.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by advanceDNA: 6:51pm On Dec 16, 2023
ppogba:

Your first statement is correct but for the second, it is not a must that the DL must align with the vehicle's papers.

I never said it must align with vehicle papers..
Na u dey assume wetin you like....
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Realdeals(m): 6:52pm On Dec 16, 2023
You are right, I traveled and was stopped at several checkpoint by Police with different attitude. One stopped me and was just praying for me, to leave sef do me somehow, I just salute him for a job well done and get him something.
Another one was aggressive, asking for my papers which I have complete, he requested I open the bonnet, and was peeping as if checking the engine number. He thereafter check the driver for VIN, last, last, he let me go. Sincerely, I'm not against stop and search, I believe it is necessary, if not, how will they identify stolen vehicles and contraband.
MrDoGood:
Next time, just park, smile, commend them for doing great job (they know say na lie sha, just praise them),

Then ask if they want to check papers or make you gift them small thing?

As far as your papers are correct, you have no issue. NO dey frown at them as if you guys have pending issues grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Xpol: 6:54pm On Dec 16, 2023
Most people just don't know the power given to police. Police na general law enforcement agency..

Can arrest you for any offence.

Police have power to arrest you with or without warrant that's why their ID cards are called warrant card.

Police can search you with or without warrant.

Police can perform military, custom, immigration,ndla, road safety, etc duties.

The power is just too much and that's why they misuse it.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Gajagojo: 7:01pm On Dec 16, 2023
TheFacelessMan:

It's not my fault that your IQ is microscopic and can't make you understand a basic message. grin

Only a very stupid person like yourself
. will still argue the obvious. Your inferiority complex is none of my business. Blame your dad or God for giving you little to work with.

But if and when you choose to misbehave, some of us here will volunteer to cure your lack of hometraining.

Marpol). Rule 2
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by ppogba: 7:02pm On Dec 16, 2023
advanceDNA:

I never said it must align with vehicle papers..
Na u dey assume wetin you like....

Okay sir
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by 4ward4: 7:02pm On Dec 16, 2023
ppogba:

What if the DL does not correspond with the car papers?

Please only say what you know.

Further questions will be asked , car might be seized and owner attention might be needed. How do you think car thiefs are apprehended on the high way?
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by ppogba: 7:04pm On Dec 16, 2023
4ward4:

Further questions will be asked , car might be seized and owner attention might be needed.

I am just trying to correct the impression that it is a must they must align.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by honsule(m): 7:07pm On Dec 16, 2023
Xpol:
Most people just don't know the power given to police. Police na general law enforcement agency..

Police have power to arrest you with or without warrant that's why their ID cards are called warrant card.

Police can perform military, custom, immigration,ndla, road safety, etc duties

In a country like Naija u will be correct. But Stricto sensu police doesn't have the power to do so, the Police Act didn't empower them to do so.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by ppogba: 7:08pm On Dec 16, 2023
Xpol:

Police can perform military, custom, immigration,ndla, road safety, etc duties.

The power is just too much and that's why they misuse it.

You could have started your statement with "most children on Nairaland."
Can you imagine someone asking if the police has the right to ask for DL.?
These are the types of threads that confirm that Nairaland is populated by children.
I wonder why anyone has not asked what law empowers the police to stop and search.

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by 4ward4: 7:15pm On Dec 16, 2023
ppogba:

I am just trying to correct the impression that it is a must they must align.

You can't just drive someone private car provided it isn't commercial and you aren't a car dealer,bearing same,Surname or giving satisfactory answers most especially if you heading towards a boundary state.
Car theft in Northern Nigeria is high compared to other parts, due to lack of checking points.
Once drove my friends car in Port Harcourt, he had to come pick it up physically by himself from police station. For that I gave them kudos tho,despite it ruined my plans for the day.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by benqo01(m): 7:15pm On Dec 16, 2023
Yes do, so they won't strategize your face into 3D
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by uuzba(m): 7:18pm On Dec 16, 2023
The road is a public road and your car is on it.
You are not the one that built the road, so just carry all your documents before using the road with your car.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by FILEBE(m): 7:22pm On Dec 16, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:

Yes of course !!
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Gajagojo: 7:23pm On Dec 16, 2023
TheFacelessMan:

That's your business. Next time you will request to be taught manners by your father.

You wouldn't jump, rush to comment before using the pea sized brain.

Even if I am banned, I will still return for you till you're cured. If you see my comments, you will run next time.
Rule 2
Marpol)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Most Annoying Things People Do While Driving / WARNING!!!! 5 Common Symptoms Of A Bad Fuel Pump. (Photos) / Information On Volkswagen Bora

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.