Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,562 members, 7,812,822 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:00 PM

Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? (17092 Views)

Ask For Ur American & Japanese Vehicle's Parts Including Bumper & Lights / The Dubai Police Force Has The Largest Collection Of Luxury Cars In The World. / Collections Of Luxury Cars In Dubai Police Force Fleet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Litmus: 1:30pm On Dec 17, 2023
Ekiti360:
This is Nigeria, anything goes. Do not argue with a man with a gun grin

Yes o, Nigeria were anything goes. Only argue with armed policie officers outside Nigeria, like US, Brazil, Jamaica, French police etc. grin
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by armadeo(m): 1:44pm On Dec 17, 2023
Patriotic9ja:
What offence did you commit to "settle them with 5k"? This is why i don't take one sided narratives seriously

He doesn't have drivers license or it has expired.. No mind the guy.

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Gajagojo: 1:47pm On Dec 17, 2023
TheFacelessMan:

Report me till you're tired. I am sure next time, you would think twice. That was my intention cheesy

You have gone quiet .........
Wharrapity
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Gajagojo: 1:49pm On Dec 17, 2023
TheFacelessMan:

Report me till you're tired. I am sure next time, you would think twice. That was my intention cheesy
Are you really faceless? Talk na...
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by TheFacelessMan: 3:28pm On Dec 17, 2023
Gajagojo:

Gajagojo to his useless homosexual father and his spermbank wh0re mother
You have gone quiet .........
Wharrapity
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Walelavender(m): 3:29pm On Dec 17, 2023
MrDoGood:
Next time, just park, smile, commend them for doing great job (they know say na lie sha, just praise them),

Then ask if they want to check papers or make you gift them small thing?

As far as your papers are correct, you have no issue. NO dey frown at them as if you guys have pending issues grin grin grin
Correct man
The way I salute Officers on the road hennn, they reciprocate often with a big smile and hardly ask for anything. The ones that eventually ask for vehicle particulars are just the few stubborn ones grin
This life no hard grin
Under the sun or in the rain, e no easy. A show of love could get them elated. They get am for body, but to show love is inexpensive

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by KayB: 4:08pm On Dec 17, 2023
Can you imagine the immaturity, quoting law and jurisdiction over nothing on nairaland.
Who ought to ask for licence? Wasted time and money over trivial issue.
He who knows not but thinks he knows all....OBIDUNCES

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Litmus: 6:26pm On Dec 17, 2023
Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License?

Nigerians can be funny sha.

Let's put it this way, in the Steve Harvey game show, Family Feud; the contestant who says, " Ask For Driver's License!" to the question, "worldwide, what do people say police are primarily known for?" will earn the highest score ever recorded.

In the top ten answers, solving crime would probably be No 10. Unlawful maiming and killing would be No 2. grin
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Psoul(m): 3:59pm On Dec 18, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:
Do police have the jurisdiction to demand nor ask for driver's license?

I was highly frustrated today, while I was on my way rushing to an event to meet up with the 10:00 AM deadline for the event which I was also the chairman, a group of some fiercely-looking police officers flagged down my vehicle and I slowed down.

One of the officers came towards my vehicle, ordered me to come out from the car and started demanding for my driver's license. I was like, what is going on?

In as much as I am aware that police officers have taken it upon themselves to be asking people for their vehicle particulars, which is a good way of tracking stolen cars, they asked for it and I provided it, but asking people for their driver's license is what I think is out of the picture.

I tried to exercise my right as a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria by briefly dragging it with them initially, which I think this issue of police asking for driver's license had raised dust sometime ago, but I realized that I'm still in Nigeria, last last, I settled with 5k, this is with abeg o, after several hours and minutes had gone by, I arrived the event place by 01:15 PM, an event slated for 10:00 AM.

like I said earlier, asking for car particulars from people by the police is good, but asking for driver's license is where I think the issue lies. I thought anything that has to do with checking of drivers license is strictly under the jurisdiction of the FRSC?

I'm feeling nothing but anger and cheated which gave rise to many questions going through my mind;
Who gave the police officers the jurisdiction to be asking for driver's license?
Is there any amended law(s) that granted the police force that power

You settled them with 5k, which means you don't have the license or yours is expired.
Please have all the necessary vehicle papers and don't drag who should or not check. Just give them and then go your way.

What I do is that I pack so many documents relating to the car in one file, even the ones not needed. When I hand it over to them, they'll be so confused on where to start cos I know they are not good in papers. They will just look papers, look me, hand them over to me.
Next thing, Oga anything for the boys.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by SoldierPikin: 7:12am On Dec 22, 2023
ogaontop:
They can ask for a licence to identify you in case of any offence.
A licence juxtaposed with the vehicle registration can easily tell them the car is not yours in the case of a stolen car.

I don't know if Nigeria has criminalized driving without a licence, but this should basically be the work of FRSC!

A point of correction, the care you drive must not be yours.
Most taxi, Bolt, and Uber drovers don't drive their own cars for instance. So saying it is to tell if the care isn't yours is a false motive.

Unless there is a report of a stolen car matching that description, all they are doing is harassing motorists.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by SoldierPikin: 7:29am On Dec 22, 2023
""NO POLICE OFFICER HAS THE RIGHT TO CHECK YOUR VEHICLE PARTICULARS, PHONE, OTHERS" - LAGOS POLICE COMMISSIONER
·
"NO POLICE OFFICER HAS THE RIGHT TO CHECK YOUR VEHICLE PARTICULARS, PHONE, OTHERS" - LAGOS POLICE COMMISSIONER

By Waliu Adeyeri

The Lagos State Police Commissioner, Hakeem Odumosu, has affirmed that the Nigeria Police Force has no right to check drivers' licenses, vehicle particulars, phones, and other gadgets on the road.

Speaking on Saturday, during an interview session on IKD106.1FM. He said "No Police, No Police, I repeat, has the power to check your bag, your phone. It's not our duty.

"Any Police who stops you on the road to check your particulars, we don't check particulars.

"Although, the Police has what it called the 'operation velvet' where it announces its plans in the media before embarking on mass search mission on the road in cases of theft, alleged movement of notorious robbers and others."

He advised the members of the public to report cases of any Police officer infringing on the rights of the citizen by indulging in any of these acts.

"Kindly find a safe spot to hide while you snap the officer during the illegal act and forward to the Lagos State Police headquarters on social media," the Commissioner added.

Odumosu also advised Lagosians to be vigilant and stay cleared of criminal acts. Some of the control room numbers provided by the Police commissioner to call during security distress include:
08024905011, 08063299264, 0812715513
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by SoldierPikin: 7:30am On Dec 22, 2023
October 19, 2016

"Any policeman checking vehicle particulars is on illegal duty – AIG"

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/policeman-checking-vehicle-particulars-illegal-duty-aig/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Bicycle Restoration Project / How To Know If You Have Been Under-dispensed At The Fuel Filling Station / Trailer Crushes Pregnant Woman, 3 Others In Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.