Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,464 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? (17232 Views)

Ask For Ur American & Japanese Vehicle's Parts Including Bumper & Lights / The Dubai Police Force Has The Largest Collection Of Luxury Cars In The World. / Collections Of Luxury Cars In Dubai Police Force Fleet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Beniyke1: 4:29pm On Dec 16, 2023
Ofcourse they do have every right to request for your drivers license sir. It’s part of law enforcement which is their duty and responsibility, meanwhile it’s not peculiar to Nigeria only, it’s the general practice all over the world. Infact in any of your dealing with the police on the road as a road user the first thing you are asked about or the first thing requested from you is your Drivers License to determine if you are even licensed to drive or not in the first place.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by NaijaCover(m): 4:30pm On Dec 16, 2023
Welcome To Nigeria, My Dear Brother
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by correctguy101(m): 4:31pm On Dec 16, 2023
Oh..

They could if there's cause to do so.

Ah, what am I even saying?

In this country, it's normal things. Argue away your precious time you'd still be made to provide it and bail it from them cheesy

And if it's not up to date, you'd be in serious trouble, you must reach station..cheesy
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Dec 16, 2023
blaise26abj:

Did you have your license or not ? Because how could you have wasted so much time there if you had it . You still paid on top . You cannot be driving if you don’t have a license.
Clearly he doesn't na why he pay 5k, which means he has also enjoyed from the corrupt system which he criticises.

5 Likes

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Beniyke1: 4:33pm On Dec 16, 2023
For whatever reason you are pulled over or stopped on the road by the police or any other law enforcement agency, the first thing required from you; the first thing you are asked for is your Drivers License to determine first and foremost that you are even licensed to drive or not, then any other thing as regards the reason you were stopped can then follow

Na wa oh! Imagine asking who gave the police the jurisdiction to ask for your Drivers License. Same as asking who also the police the right to request to see your vehicle registration documents. You would’ve also ask what amended laws gave the police the right to enforce Law and Order.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by spencekat(m): 4:35pm On Dec 16, 2023
Thundafireseun:
No Nigerian has any rights
Only rich and connected guys.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by ghostcenturion(m): 4:35pm On Dec 16, 2023
YES ,
they'll ask for that,
thats what identifies you as the owner of vehicle not vehicle particulars.

you may have particulars which does not align with your ID
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by nedekid: 4:35pm On Dec 16, 2023
Bros, why did you get delayed for unites and the have to pay 5k?
Is it that you do not have a valid drivers license?
Anyway, police around the world, Nigeria I believe inclusive may ask to see your drivers license of which you are obligated to produce, failure to which your vehicle could be impounded. In situations you are not with it in person, you are given eg a week to present it at the nearest police station( atleast that it how it was back in the day in the uk).
With modernity, if you are not with your license, you can open the nigeriadriverlicence.org website and show evidence you have a current valid license.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Mitsurugi(m): 4:36pm On Dec 16, 2023
SmartyPants:
Per Section 4 (d) of the Police Act, there is no offence the police cannot investigate and arrest for. And driving without a licence is an offence is it not?

The police has the most generic powers. Even in State Security or drug matters they can arrest before the relevant authorities claim jurisdiction

4 Likes

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by blaise26abj(m): 4:39pm On Dec 16, 2023
Lukepeter:

Clearly he doesn't na why he pay 5k, which means he has also enjoyed from the corrupt system which he criticises.

Abi . E no get , e Dey argue with police , wasted time instead of settling fast and going to his event to make money or connection for more money . By law his fine should have been 20,000 Naira . Police collect 5k and e still Dey pain am !

Yet he will be the first to complain that politicians are breaking the law or are corrupt .
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by InvertedHammer: 4:41pm On Dec 16, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:
Do police have the jurisdiction to demand nor ask for driver's license?

I was highly frustrated today, while I was on my way rushing to an event to meet up with the 10:00 AM deadline for the event which I was also the chairman, a group of some fiercely-looking police officers flagged down my vehicle and I slowed down.

One of the officers came towards my vehicle, ordered me to come out from the car and started demanding for my driver's license. I was like, what is going on?

In as much as I am aware that police officers have taken it upon themselves to be asking people for their vehicle particulars, which is a good way of tracking stolen cars, they asked for it and I provided it, but asking people for their driver's license is what I think is out of the picture.

I tried to exercise my right as a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria by briefly dragging it with them initially, which I think this issue of police asking for driver's license had raised dust sometime ago, but I realized that I'm still in Nigeria, last last, I settled with 5k, this is with abeg o, after several hours and minutes had gone by, I arrived the event place by 01:15 PM, an event slated for 10:00 AM.

like I said earlier, asking for car particulars from people by the police is good, but asking for driver's license is where I think the issue lies. I thought anything that has to do with checking of drivers license is strictly under the jurisdiction of the FRSC?

I'm feeling nothing but anger and cheated which gave rise to many questions going through my mind;
Who gave the police officers the jurisdiction to be asking for driver's license?
Is there any amended law(s) that granted the police force that power?

/
Driver's license
Vehicle registration
Insurance.

Watch the new Kanayo O. Kanayo video where he explained it per the Police PPRO.

/
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by philkoms: 4:41pm On Dec 16, 2023
damosade:
yes naa, how do they know ur face, name compare with the vehicle particulars and if you are not the owner you will explain. and if you dont show them wetin your eyes go see dont come nairaland come explain because no one can prove law in this part of the world.
Your comment make more sense now and provide answer to OP question.Nobody know everything,I also open the thread to learn.Thanks

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by kay29000(m): 4:44pm On Dec 16, 2023
Hamachi:
No, however, in the U.S. the first thing a cop asks you when stoped are 'licence and registration please'.

True... But police don't have road blocks at every corner over there. At my area in Egbeda, you meet them at Carwash bus stop, Isheri bus stop, and then when you turn around to pipeline bus stop. That's three stops within a 3 minute drive. It's quite frustrating.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by IbnIbrahim: 4:45pm On Dec 16, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:

I was highly frustrated today, while I was on my way rushing to an event to meet up with the 10:00 AM deadline for the event which I was also the chairman, a group of some fiercely-looking police officers flagged down my vehicle and I slowed down.

One of the officers came towards my vehicle, ordered me to come out from the car and started demanding for my driver's license. I was like, what is going on?

In as much as I am aware that police officers have taken it upon themselves to be asking people for their vehicle particulars, which is a good way of tracking stolen cars, they asked for it and I provided it, but asking people for their driver's license is what I think is out of the picture.

I tried to exercise my right as a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria by briefly dragging it with them initially, which I think this issue of police asking for driver's license had raised dust sometime ago, but I realized that I'm still in Nigeria, last last, I settled with 5k, this is with abeg o, after several hours and minutes had gone by, I arrived the event place by 01:15 PM, an event slated for 10:00 AM.

like I said earlier, asking for car particulars from people by the police is good, but asking for driver's license is where I think the issue lies. I thought anything that has to do with checking of drivers license is strictly under the jurisdiction of the FRSC?

I'm feeling nothing but anger and cheated which gave rise to many questions going through my mind;
Who gave the police officers the jurisdiction to be asking for driver's license?

Nothing in the law gives the NPF to demand for vehicle particulars. We just live a lawless country where government officials want to use their privileged position to enrich themselves. It is quite sad.

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by DamnnNiggarr: 4:46pm On Dec 16, 2023
Patriotic9ja:
What offence did you commit to "settle them with 5k"? This is why i don't take one sided narratives seriously
like I said earlier "I was rushing to an event" so I was speeding, which made the police to demand for my driver's license.
the offense is, they charged me for reckless driving and challenging officers on duty. that's what brought about the 5k settlement.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by kay29000(m): 4:47pm On Dec 16, 2023
Patriotic9ja:
What offence did you commit to "settle them with 5k"? This is why i don't take one sided narratives seriously

I'm guessing the guy didn't have his drivers licence with him.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by 4ward4: 4:48pm On Dec 16, 2023
Yes, just to correspond the papers with the DL.
All is for your good and a sane society, because tomorrow your car might get stolen and the thief , will definitely have some question to answer once both names aren't same. You will be called upon,as all vehicles papers carries owners numbers.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Pootle: 4:50pm On Dec 16, 2023
you on the wrong. you should have provided it with immediate effect and if is not available just squeeze 1k for him hand rather than arguing unnecessarily
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Mosba: 4:53pm On Dec 16, 2023
Yes but on behalf of FREC officers
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Patriotic9ja(m): 4:55pm On Dec 16, 2023
kay29000:

I'm guessing the guy didn't have his drivers licence with him.

Very likely. But they will just rush online to rant without saying the true story. Instead of taking responsibilities for their actions, they look for "part of least resistance" as usual

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Lekan239(m): 4:56pm On Dec 16, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:

driving without a driver licence is an offence that attract some years or month in Kiri Kiri. Or impound of ur vehicle if you can't provide the licence within 24hrs U don't know abi

2 Likes

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Patriotic9ja(m): 4:58pm On Dec 16, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:
like I said earlier "I was rushing to an event" so I was speeding, which made the police to demand for my driver's license.
the offense is, they charged me for reckless driving and challenging officers on duty. that's what brought about the 5k settlement.

So you don commit. Why are you now coming online to rant as if Police should give you freedom to drive recklessly and kill innocent people or even yourself? As a reckless driver, the first thing to be requested by any law enforcement officer is your driver's licence. This is not only limited to Nigeria. So please learn to take responsibility and not look for who to blame

2 Likes

Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by erico2k2(m): 5:07pm On Dec 16, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:

Every Nations of the world, Police have the right to ask for your driving licence. You are required to provide it when asked. You my friend is now one of the problems of Nigeria as you paid the police(bribe) instead of simply providing your driving licence unless you do not have one. Your driving licence is needed to identify you as the person whom you claim you are and driving. You need it for one purpose which is Driving so leave it in your car if you have one!
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by erico2k2(m): 5:09pm On Dec 16, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:
you did not have you licence with you did you? Police cannot charge you with speeding In NIgeria as they do not yet have instruments to measure the speed to which you was traveling on.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by DamnnNiggarr: 5:10pm On Dec 16, 2023
Patriotic9ja:

So you don commit. Why are you now coming online to rant as if Police should give you freedom to drive recklessly and kill innocent people or even yourself? As a reckless driver, the first thing to be requested by any law enforcement officer is your driver's licence. This is not only limited to Nigeria. So please learn to take responsibility and not look for who to blame
I was just asking questions to learn.

I didn't know until now that police could ask someone for driver's license, because my over 10 years of driving, police has never asked about my driver's license, but they do ask about my car particulars steady.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by wolebest: 5:11pm On Dec 16, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:

Those police guys don't have clue about their job........... they like doing traffic duty liike shit.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by vivalavida(m): 5:16pm On Dec 16, 2023
Why did you have to settle with 5k? Is it that you don't actually have a driver's license or what?
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Kelvin30286063(m): 5:19pm On Dec 16, 2023
Your right as a Nigerian is to obey any miscreant in uniform. It shall not be well with all of them.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by zoomzoom(m): 5:31pm On Dec 16, 2023
[quote author=Hamachi post=127515162]No, however, in the U.S. the first thing a cop asks you when stoped are 'licence and registration please'.

The licence is the vehicle license....and in the US, the frsc's job is done by the traffic police.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Angrigowt: 5:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
Abuse of power. No vehicle should be flagged down here in nigeria,unless there was a distress call made. The police has no rights to jist jump and say hey park,then allow other cars go. For what nonsense. Unless your car no get plate number.
Re: Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? by Thundafireseun: 5:41pm On Dec 16, 2023
spencekat:
Only rich and connected guys.

Saraki , Rochas were both humiliated several times before us

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Most Annoying Things People Do While Driving / WARNING!!!! 5 Common Symptoms Of A Bad Fuel Pump. (Photos) / Information On Volkswagen Bora

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.