Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:47 AM

I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) (36066 Views)

Soludo Gives Okpoko-onitsha Slum A Face Lift After Many Years / Air Peace Provides Food Items For Hundreds Of Less Privileged In Makoko, Ajegunl / Makoko My Beloved Slum - Aerial Drone Documentary About The Floating Slum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Ovokoo: 6:42pm On Dec 17, 2023
I visited MAKOKO for the first time a few days ago and it was an eye opener.

Makoko is a community in ya area of Lagos state and a third of the community is made up of a floating slum where mainly Egun people from Badagry and Benin Republic live.

WATCH the Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yDFEQxZKpY

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Ovokoo: 6:42pm On Dec 17, 2023
More pics
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by God1000(m): 6:52pm On Dec 17, 2023
Beautiful scenery

My plan and wish is to visit at least 50 countries before I grow old

20 countries in Africa

10 in Europe

10 in Asia

8 in south America

2 in north America

42 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Politicstoday: 7:07pm On Dec 17, 2023
Wow what a great adventure here.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Ovokoo: 9:12pm On Dec 17, 2023
Politicstoday:
Wow what a great adventure here.
It was a great adventure indeed.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by flokii: 9:16pm On Dec 17, 2023
I wonder how young girls and women go about their hygiene in areas like this.. where do they dispose their 'you know what' and other sanitary items.
Lagos Government needs to model a place and relocate the residents of Makoko.

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Paystack: 9:18pm On Dec 17, 2023
God1000:
Beautiful scenery

20 countries in Africa

10 in Europe

10 in Asia

8 in south America

2 in north America

This is beautiful?

A Slum?

Houses literally built on top Gutters?

They literally live where people defecate.

A normal human can't spend a night in that pit of hell located in Lagos without developing permanent disease.

82 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by God1000(m): 9:23pm On Dec 17, 2023
Paystack:

This is beautiful?

A Slum?

Houses literally built on top Gutters?

They literally live where people defecate.

A normal human can't spend a night in that pit of hell located in Lagos without developing permanent disease.
that's how you see it man

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by SensetionalGoal(m): 9:38pm On Dec 17, 2023
Makoko! Spits...

3 Likes

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Prigidypogodo(f): 6:51am On Dec 18, 2023
cheesy

most of their inhabitants dey nairaland dey scream our Ragos cheesy
hiohiohiohio

86 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by wiseoneking: 2:48pm On Dec 18, 2023
God1000:
Beautiful scenery

20 countries in Africa

10 in Europe

10 in Asia

8 in south America

2 in north America
First, start with your Bush village and go from there

2 Likes

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by God1000(m): 4:14pm On Dec 18, 2023
wiseoneking:
First, start with your Bush village and go from there
Lol, cheesy
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Raskimonojendor: 4:27pm On Dec 18, 2023
Egun and Togolese people are the inhabitants of those floating shacks. Lagos needs to do something about this African Venice..

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Ovokoo: 4:29pm On Dec 18, 2023
Raskimonojendor:
Egun and Togolese people are the inhabitants of those floating shacks. Lagos needs to do something about this African Venice..
What do you suggest they do?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by simpleseyi: 4:45pm On Dec 18, 2023
Prigidypogodo:
cheesy

most of their inhabitants dey nairaland dey scream our Ragos cheesy
hiohiohiohio

Show us your father's compound if he has any

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Prigidypogodo(f): 5:05pm On Dec 18, 2023
simpleseyi:

Show us your father's compound if he has any
gbamputu gbamputu
igba nni na ofe
hahahahaha
e dey pain you ooo
e dey pain them bayi

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Goodvibes007: 5:06pm On Dec 18, 2023
Prigidypogodo:
gbamputu gbamputu
igba nni na ofe
hahahahaha
e dey pain you ooo
e dey pain them bayi
How are you KamwuliaExtra

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Sevenworldpower(m): 5:11pm On Dec 18, 2023
Ovokoo:
I visited MAKOKO for the first time a few days ago and it was an eye opener.

Makoko is a community in ya area of Lagos state and a third of the community is made up of a floating slum where mainly Egun people from Badagry and Benin Republic live.

WATCH the Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yDFEQxZKpY

Mynd44 lalasticlala Seun

And governments is wasting money on Eko Atlantic city. Makoko should be reclaimed.

4 Likes

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Goodvibes007: 5:15pm On Dec 18, 2023
Sevenworldpower:

And governments is wasting money on Eko Atlantic city. Makoko should be reclaimed.
Makoko is lagoon. Atlantic city is ocean. People pay premium for ocean view and not lagoon view. It's strictly investor driven initiatives.

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Sevenworldpower(m): 5:20pm On Dec 18, 2023
Goodvibes007:

Makoko is lagoon. Atlantic city is ocean. People pay premium for ocean view and not lagoon view. It's strictly investor driven initiatives.
Why venice is so beautiful. Government should pay attention to makoko. It can actually be a beautifully place. It is not far from atlantic ocean in lagos as well

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Gadafii: 5:41pm On Dec 18, 2023
If Lagos state govt was serious Shey be they will clear this slum once and for all, instead they are pulling down structures worth billions of naira all in the name of blocking drainage, meanwhile makoko is an eyesore, environmental hazard and what not

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Ovokoo: 9:31am On Dec 21, 2023
Gadafii:
If Lagos state govt was serious Shey be they will clear this slum once and for all, instead they are pulling down structures worth billions of naira all in the name of blocking drainage, meanwhile makoko is an eyesore, environmental hazard and what not
Hmmm

lalasticlala Mynd44 Seun
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by FalseProphet1(m): 2:16pm On Jan 30
I remember this place it's around yaba. I once had a spiritual center there, but locals almost wrecked me with begging. Women would send their teenage daughters to my house around 10pm to come and beg for money.

If not that I left, I would have been very wretched by now.

Anyways I see the Lagos State government demolishing all the shanties there and building an expensive world class estate.

This I have seen.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by PriNceNova(m): 2:17pm On Jan 30
All I see is extreme poverty, cholera, malaria, zero health care! Nigerians are extremely poor but politicians are sharing Billions of dollars amongst themselves...

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by sofeo(m): 2:17pm On Jan 30
Good of you Sister.

1 Like

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by INTEGRITYA1(m): 2:17pm On Jan 30
That's good of you.

1 Like

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Zeebuy: 2:23pm On Jan 30
Those clowns screaming "go back to your state", na here most of them dey live

21 Likes

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by ednut1(m): 2:24pm On Jan 30
I can imagine the smell 🤮

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

New Lagos BRT Buses Begin Operations At The New Oshodi Bus Terminus - Photos / Which States Have The Best Capital Cities In Nigeria? / Food Item Not Allowed To Take When Traveling From Nigerian To Other Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.