Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) (36103 Views)

Soludo Gives Okpoko-onitsha Slum A Face Lift After Many Years / Air Peace Provides Food Items For Hundreds Of Less Privileged In Makoko, Ajegunl / Makoko My Beloved Slum - Aerial Drone Documentary About The Floating Slum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by rayornb(m): 2:24pm On Jan 30
I dey look for Gerard roofing sheet

Omo....

Traffic congestion still dey dere oo

Naina which way,.

Little wonder Lagos was ranked No. 1 in traffic congestion in d world
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by ariesbull: 2:30pm On Jan 30
Largest floating slum ....this description funny shaaa

3 Likes

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Rahkman: 2:34pm On Jan 30
I bin knack 1 babe wey dey stay makoko b4 na Benin Republic girl she set die
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Moniya4Real(m): 2:38pm On Jan 30
Pls, do remember to add Afghanistan to the list in Asia

God1000:
Beautiful scenery

My plan and wish is to visit at least 50 countries before I grow old

20 countries in Africa

10 in Europe

10 in Asia

8 in south America

2 in north America
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by NairaMaster1(m): 2:38pm On Jan 30
God1000:
that's how you see it man

The government can do better for them. It can also be turned to a tourist destination bro.
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by LowKeyManny: 2:40pm On Jan 30
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by GboyegaD(m): 2:41pm On Jan 30
Remember visiting some few times with my mom. She had a former church member of their church who was a tailor living there. The woman will always claim she loved the community while I never did because you have to park your car, take a bus and a canoe to get to her house.
She would gladly serve popo garri and those tiny dishes (I don't know what they are called).
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by alizma: 2:46pm On Jan 30
Ovokoo:
I visited MAKOKO for the first time a few days ago and it was an eye opener.

Makoko is a community in ya area of Lagos state and a third of the community is made up of a floating slum where mainly Egun people from Badagry and Benin Republic live.

WATCH the Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yDFEQxZKpY
The first few minutes was awesome with the introduction and that background music but thereafter, everything look like nothing special and non interesting

1 Like

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by PrinceOfLagos: 2:46pm On Jan 30
Only In Lagos

1 Like

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Angelfrost(m): 2:46pm On Jan 30
Sigh.... How can people live like this?!!

First off, what if someone falls off from the plank bridges or canoes into the filthy water?!!

...And some of these ones go dey beat chest say dem dey live for Eko! undecided
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Oboto700(m): 2:49pm On Jan 30
Who is that simp saying don't worry grin
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by HONESTMD: 2:52pm On Jan 30
Angelfrost:
Sigh.... How can people live like this?!!

First off, what if someone falls off from the plank bridges or canoes into the filthy water?!!

...And some of these ones go dey beat chest say dem dey live for Eko! undecided

The inhabitants can swim.
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Angelfrost(m): 2:53pm On Jan 30
ariesbull:
Largest floating slum ....this description funny shaaa

I mean... It's bad enough that it's a slum.

It's also floating on a river of filth and human waste. embarassed

1 Like

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by obinna58(m): 2:55pm On Jan 30
If a fish doesn’t survive on the water then the place is uninhabitable, diseases upon diseases
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Angelfrost(m): 2:56pm On Jan 30
HONESTMD:

The inhabitants can swim.

Of course they can... But, swim inside that filth?!!

Imagine rushing to work and falling in there.

Shall we talk about the sheer number of pests and disease vectors like Mosquitoes!

1 Like

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by lolu2019: 2:57pm On Jan 30
God1000:
that's how you see it man
don't mind him.u r healthy,u r healthy.if u like stay in glass house.disease will still come.good nutrition is the way to good health.
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by lolu2019: 3:00pm On Jan 30
Zeebuy:
Those clowns screaming "go back to your state", na here most of them dey live
are u sure there is internet in that area.most people living in that area, don't have time for internet.
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by ngmoses17(m): 3:00pm On Jan 30
Does the place smell?
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by rspy: 3:04pm On Jan 30
what is beautiful Nigerians and pretence sha, how can a country so rich, yet its people so poor, and Nigerians just to make Nigeria look good would be calling mediocrity a beautiful adventure

2 Likes

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by SisterAnn(f): 3:05pm On Jan 30
Floating slum... sounds sexy
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Pootle: 3:06pm On Jan 30
God1000:
Beautiful scenery

20 countries in Africa

10 in Europe

10 in Asia

8 in south America

2 in north America

jus say you wan use visit japa undecided
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by CHAQUR: 3:08pm On Jan 30
Get the drone view.
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by spacechuks(m): 3:08pm On Jan 30
I could perceive the smell from my phone

1 Like

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by IamAtikulate: 3:10pm On Jan 30
Our Yorubas brothers are waiting for Igbos or other non-indigenes to develop the place for them
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Felaincarnated: 3:11pm On Jan 30
Op hope u visited d hospital after ur adventure? Awon RONU I raise nyansh for una

1 Like

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by obaidan: 3:15pm On Jan 30
People are living in filth, in the midst of plenty resources......nothing beautiful about this life they live. But yea, quite a revelation

1 Like

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Olaforwardmo: 3:20pm On Jan 30
Worrisome !!!
Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by realmindz: 3:26pm On Jan 30
God1000:
Beautiful scenery

20 countries in Africa

10 in Europe

10 in Asia

8 in south America

2 in north America

Enjoy, but some places are dangerous. So enjoy but be careful in your choice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Queengee: 3:31pm On Jan 30
most people living there there aren't poor as u think, they literally doesn't wanna pay bills like house rent bills, etc. most Beninese and togolese are like that, stingy people who make money in Lagos but don't wanna spend it here except their country

1 Like

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by Cromagnon: 3:37pm On Jan 30
Paystack:

This is beautiful?

A Slum?

Houses literally built on top Gutters?

They literally live where people defecate.

A normal human can't spend a night in that pit of hell located in Lagos without developing permanent disease.
Really
A white man lives there
A professor
Stop Talking

1 Like

Re: I Visited MAKOKO, The Largest Floating Slum In Africa (pics, Video) by pocohantas(f): 3:41pm On Jan 30
Some of them do not look poor.
Why did they choose to live there or ehy are they still there? Are the houses free?

Where do they get clean water for bathing or cooking?

Too many questions I wanna ask.

Queengee:
most people living there there aren't poor as u think, they literally doesn't wanna pay bills like house rent bills, etc. most Beninese and togolese are like that, stingy people who make money in Lagos but don't wanna spend it here except their country

Thank you for this. I thought I was seeing wrong. They don't look poor!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Truck Crushes Everything In A Shop Except The Owner (Photos) / The Top 10 World’s Most Powerful Passports In 2019 / Why Women Leave Their Husbands Abroad After They Both Japa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.