Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? (11168 Views)

Mum Rejects Car Gift From Son, Questions His Source Of Wealth (Pix, Video) / I've Never Seen A Girl As Dirty As My Cousin Sister / Is It Normal That I Don't Want To Get Married Or Have Kids? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Olodo24: 10:33pm On Dec 17, 2023
Is it normal that no one has ever gifted me anything on special occasions? I'm talking about Valentine, birthday and Christmas. I am 29, and since I became anything close to an adult, I've never had anyone care for me enough to show me love on these special days. Not from family, not from friends.

I am currently not dating and things are really rough for me right now, but I've gifted people in the past. I know some members here will say I'm feeling entitled to the outcome of other people's efforts, but that's really not the point. I just want to experience love and feel loved no matter how small. I can't ask for much.

Having people gift you things is a big flex. I'm not even talking about people coming through for one when one needs help because that one na long story.

So, guys, is this normal? Is it very much normal that feel unloved over this? I'm really over thinking it for sure, but I can't help it.

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Kobojunkie: 11:20pm On Dec 17, 2023
Olodo24:
Is it normal that no one has ever gifted me anything on special occasions? I'm talking about Valentine, birthday and Christmas. I am 29, and since I became anything close to an adult, I've never had anyone care for me enough to show me love on these special days. Not from family, not from friends. I am currently not dating and things are really rough for me right now, but I've gifted people in the past. I know some members here will say I'm feeling entitled to the outcome of other people's efforts, but that's really not the point. I just want to experience love and feel loved no matter how small. I can't ask for much. Having people gift you things is a big flex. I'm not even talking about people coming through for one when one needs help because that one na long story. So, guys, is this normal? Is it very much normal that feel unloved over this? I'm really over thinking it for sure, but I can't help it.
Do you at least give presents to others? Or you expect them to give you first before you give to them? undecided

It is quite normal to not receive particularly when it is not the native culture and when you have not invested in making yourself a giver to those around you, to maybe encourage them to give as well. undecided

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:26am On Dec 18, 2023
Its normal for black men from africa to not have received gifts

157 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Karleb(m): 3:05am On Dec 18, 2023
Remember the parable of the sower? Give like that, however bad it may be, at least one would germinate and someone will reciprocate the gesture.

One important factor is changing of environment. When it comes to people, please don't settle for less. I'm grateful I have been able to change my immediate environment like 3 to 4 times in the past 3 years against all odds. Trust me, some set of people will appreciate you more, especially if you are not a bad person.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by LooneyLester: 3:35am On Dec 18, 2023
Same with me , I don't even celebrate my birthday, I just see my birthday as a normal day, I hate Christmas and everything that has to do with this pagan festival

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by ikeno(m): 4:03am On Dec 18, 2023
You just want to get that feeling of receiving gift from someone. Buy a gift, something you would like, package it well then keep it till it's your special day then give it to any random person to give it to you as a gift from him to you.

18 Likes

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Olodo24: 5:20am On Dec 18, 2023
ikeno:
You just want to get that feeling of receiving gift from someone. Buy a gift, something you would like, package it well then keep it till it's your special day then give it to any random person to give it to you as a gift from him to you.
I don't think that's a good thing to do. Anybody that wants to gift me anything should buy it with his money.

23 Likes

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Olodo24: 5:21am On Dec 18, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Do you at least give presents to others? Or you expect them to give you first before you give to them? undecided

It is quite normal to not receive particularly when it is not the native culture and when you have not invested in making yourself a giver to those around you, to maybe encourage them to give as well. undecided
I have given to people several times in the past. But it seems no one cares when it comes to me

15 Likes

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by ChybuzzDD(m): 6:06am On Dec 18, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Very correct.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Gerrard59(m): 8:54am On Dec 18, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

You are brutal man. Brutal honesty! grin grin grin grin

This life is rigged for the average black African male.

15 Likes

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by We4all: 9:19am On Dec 18, 2023
I have received gifts from family, but not from friends because I don't maintain friendship. One silent act no one talks about is the habit of gifting those who don't need it or already have.

I bet you're still broke and it's the reason no one is gifting you. If you become rich today, you will see so many 'eye service' people queuing up to present you with gifts that you don't need.

86 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Acidosis(m): 9:32am On Dec 18, 2023
Yes. It is normal, when your perception of a gift is limited to a package item with fine gift wrappings.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Magnoliaa(f): 9:51am On Dec 18, 2023
Gerrard59:
You are brutal man. Brutal honesty! grin grin grin grin

This life is rigged for the average black African male.

Really? Smh.

What even in his comment is "brutally honest" or "life nugget-y?"

Today, guys are saying they're men and they don't care and don't want stuff deemed too 'estrogen-y' and 'feminine', tomorrow they're having a problem with the standards they've created and cosplaying ✨ oppression ✨, instead of addressing the source.

I think I have even seen some of your comments sometimes agreeing with Pan that "men create the society, and women integrate into it". So how has men's general noncommittal attitude to celebratory things like birthday/event wishes, getting birthday cakes and gifts, doing photo shoots, coming to a surprise birthday bash and all that something "life" rigged? As if it was out of their control?

Let us remove women. Why do men not gift one another as well?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Gerrard59(m): 10:04am On Dec 18, 2023
Magnoliaa:

Really? Smh.

What even in his comment is "brutally honest" or "life nugget-y?"

Today, guys are saying they're men and they don't care and don't want stuff deemed too 'estrogen-y' and 'feminine', tomorrow they're having a problem with the standards they've created and cosplaying ✨ oppression ✨, instead of addressing the source.

Let's just say the average human being is a hypocrite.

Let us remove women. Why do men not gift one another as well?

In my experience, physical gifts aren't what men exchange amongst themselves, but assistance in the form of interest-free loan, connections etc. That is how I see gifting a fellow man. That said too, men if they can afford it buy items for their male friends who have been of immense help/assistance to them. I wager that men gift fellow men watches on certain occasions.

9 Likes

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Magnoliaa(f): 10:04am On Dec 18, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

And is this a good or bad thing?

I mean, they are African men. Why should this matter? Why do they want stuff that their emasculated counterparts in non-African states get from women who have a very high sense of equality and autonomy, and even the equal financial capability that affords them to get thoughtful, unique, and exquisite gifts for a man?

I would think not getting gifts should be a manly thing, given all the other arbitrarily decided standards of masculinity.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Magnoliaa(f): 10:16am On Dec 18, 2023
Gerrard59:
In my experience, physical gifts aren't what men exchange amongst themselves, but assistance in the form of interest-free loan, connections etc. That is how I see gifting a fellow man. That said too, men if they can afford it buy items for their male friends who have been of immense help/assistance to them. I wager that men gift fellow men watches on certain occasions.

Good then.

Let's hope the rest of the opinions this discussion will generate, if it hopefully will, will tow this line of multiple reasons, and not one wrongly focused on gender.

Whether it's the definition of 'gifting' that's the problem here, or it's simply due to culture or economic states, or just individual proclivities. Some people, men or women, just don't think in that manner. It's never occurred to them to be that kind of person.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Nwaokunkpara: 1:20pm On Dec 18, 2023
I haven't received any gifts yet on these occasions too but I count it all blessings to able to gifts to others because I know one day someone special will appreciate me

6 Likes

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by blamingthedevil: 1:20pm On Dec 18, 2023
You must be wicked, stingy human being who is looking forward to receive but never thought of giving to your fellow human being.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by creatormix(m): 1:20pm On Dec 18, 2023
It yourself the gift then
Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Built2last: 1:20pm On Dec 18, 2023
Yes. its normal if you don't celebrate things and you have small circle of friends who don't have much either

6 Likes

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Coder2Client(m): 1:20pm On Dec 18, 2023
I have never experienced such in my life. I don't give and I don't expect.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by WantsandMore: 1:21pm On Dec 18, 2023
Kobojunkie:

You clearly read he has given gift to people in the past

4 Likes

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by ATEAMS: 1:23pm On Dec 18, 2023
Yh
Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Beuberry(f): 1:23pm On Dec 18, 2023
Olodo24:
Is it normal that no one has ever gifted me anything on special occasions? I'm talking about Valentine, birthday and Christmas. I am 29, and since I became anything close to an adult, I've never had anyone care for me enough to show me love on these special days. Not from family, not from friends.

I am currently not dating and things are really rough for me right now, but I've gifted people in the past. I know some members here will say I'm feeling entitled to the outcome of other people's efforts, but that's really not the point. I just want to experience love and feel loved no matter how small. I can't ask for much.

Having people gift you things is a big flex. I'm not even talking about people coming through for one when one needs help because that one na long story.

So, guys, is this normal? Is it very much normal that feel unloved over this? I'm really over thinking it for sure, but I can't help it.
It's spiritual

1 Like

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Emperormartin(m): 1:23pm On Dec 18, 2023
Ok
Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by tommy589(m): 1:23pm On Dec 18, 2023
Are you an introvert?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by Reelmii: 1:25pm On Dec 18, 2023
grin grin
Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by SeedofAbraham: 1:25pm On Dec 18, 2023
Lolz... you're not the only one in this. Only 1 person gifted me money since the past 2 years while I've gifted about 20 - 30 people over the same period of time. I thought of this recently as majority of people remember to call me or chat me up (remember that I still exists) only when they need financial assistance from me. I think a lot of people prefer to receive from others while they find it hard (feel reluctant) to give from the little or much that they have.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by IbileIfe: 1:25pm On Dec 18, 2023
Olodo24:
I have given to people several times in the past. But it seems no one cares when it comes to me
It is strange.
Re: Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone? by valentineuwakwe(m): 1:25pm On Dec 18, 2023
Perhaps you are not yet in love and have not given any gift to anyone to deserve same in return.....
I will give you one gift on Xmas day....pls do remind me

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Barely And Neatly Used Uk Baby Things. / How Do I Kill This Appetite Without Commiting Adultery Or Sin? / Plans changed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.