Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,878 members, 7,813,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

Going Back To School At Age 34 - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Going Back To School At Age 34 (11176 Views)

Go Back To School At Age 40 / Intent On Going Back To My Previous Job / Lady Lists Her Achievements After Leaving Medical School At 28 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Going Back To School At Age 34 by inicyril(m): 11:43pm On Dec 17, 2023
Hello family!
My future is posing so much threat to my mental well-being and calls for serious help.
I've always been of the school of thought that decisions burdening on one's future should be the product of the person's deep thinking and not advice on social media platforms. Alas I was wrong!

THIS IS MY SITUATION
I would be 34 by February next year. I am a graduate of Biochemistry and I have been working as a teacher in a state government owned secondary School for the past 3 years.
Growing up, I've been passionate about studying medicine but couldn't due to financial constraints.
When I got my present job in 2021, the passion started coming back gradually but I ignored it and opted for a side hustle in software engineering. Late last year I got enrolled into alx software engineering program. I'll be done by the 22nd of this month. I've learnt a lot and acquired a lot of skills as well.
Despite this, the passion still keeps staring at me.
The issue here is, at my age is:
1. Is it a great idea going back to school to study medicine?
2. Should I go for computer science so as to boost my chances in the field of software engineering?
3. Or should I settle for PGD in education, then masters, to encourage my career growth in my present job?

I NEED SERIOUS ADVICE PLEASE.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by LikeAking: 11:47pm On Dec 17, 2023
inicyril:
Hello family!
My future is posing so much threat to my mental well-being and calls for serious help.
I've always been of the school of thought that decisions burdening on one's future should be the product of the person's deep thinking and not advice on social media platforms. Alas I was wrong!

Feel free to pursue ya dreams.

Although ALX software engineering na childs play..

Have you built anything?
Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by inicyril(m): 11:55pm On Dec 17, 2023
LikeAking:

Feel free to pursue ya dreams.

Although ALX software engineering na childs play..

Have you built anything?

Yes please. I've been trying to build small projects for my portfolio.
Currently working with a team to build a fully functional e-commerce website. The frontend infrastructure has been fully set. We are 60% into the backend. The server infrastructures has been implemented, with api being the only thing left.

10 Likes

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by LikeAking: 12:37am On Dec 18, 2023
inicyril:

Yes please. I've been trying to build small projects for my portfolio.
Currently working with a team to build a fully functional e-commerce website. The frontend infrastructure has been fully set. We are 60% into the backend. The server infrastructures has been implemented, with api being the only thing left.

Ok!

What do you intend selling with the Econ site?

Also build what people can use in real life.
Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by blackboy(m): 4:45am On Dec 18, 2023
I know a girl finished her first degree and nysc. Her mates had married , had children. She went back to read medicine. Some made fun of her. That was the dream of her dad and also she - to become a doctor. Today she is a doctor.
You need to ask yourself what you really want and if you can , go for it times flies. Many ppl that started school when they are finishing they realise time goes fast.
Just do it

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Lovemeharder(f): 6:27am On Dec 18, 2023
Please you still have time, go and pursue your dreams of studying medicine. Good luck!

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by sageb: 9:07am On Dec 18, 2023
inicyril:
Hello family!

THIS IS MY SITUATION
I would be 34 by February next year. I am a graduate of Biochemistry and I have been working as a teacher in a state government owned secondary School for the past 3 years.
Growing up, I've been passionate about studying medicine but couldn't due to financial constraints.
When I got my present job in 2021, the passion started coming back gradually but I ignored it and opted for a side hustle in software engineering. Late last year I got enrolled into alx software engineering program. I'll be done by the 22nd of this month. I've learnt a lot and acquired a lot of skills as well.
2. Should I go for computer science so as to boost my chances in the field of software engineering?
3. Or should I settle for PGD in education, then masters, to encourage my career growth in my present job?

Go for it if you have the passion and resilience to study it till the end(med/surg is a 6 years course).
I know a fellow here on Nairaland who was in a similar situation like you years ago.
Today, he is a medical Doctor.
No one is too old to learn new things.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by eepeepook: 10:49am On Dec 18, 2023
Honestly, going to school at an older age is better than when young. When older, you are more experienced and less likely to get distracted with social life. You’re also pliable to fit into a routine. God knows I hated waking up early from teenage years into my late twenties. From thirty-four, I saw no problem with maximizing the day aka waking up early.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by farouk2much(m): 11:45am On Dec 18, 2023
At your own risk..... Don't forget there's no job if you graduate

3 Likes

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Opolopoopolonio: 11:46am On Dec 18, 2023
Good
Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Jewessgratitud3: 11:47am On Dec 18, 2023
If you have the wherewithal, pursue your dream so you can be fulfilled and have rest of mind.

Peace of mind above all.

3 Likes

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by whippersnapper(m): 11:48am On Dec 18, 2023
Hope say you never marry. At that age you're likely going to dismantle more kpekus. well all i can say is more power to your odogwu

4 Likes

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by oluwaseyi0: 11:49am On Dec 18, 2023
I doubt you are been taught anything tangible in that ALX that's why you are still asking this question or even considering going to school to study computer science

Bro, concentrate on software development and coding, in a year or two you will be very solid and get nice job, you don't need to go back to study computer science

Concerning medicine, at your age and as a man use your tongue to count you teeth, do you have who will sponsor you? Who will take care of your nuclear family need while you fully face academics because you will finish that school in your late 40s

What about wife and children? Any plan for them?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by marlow1962(m): 11:51am On Dec 18, 2023
Not bad, everything is just focus and determination.
Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by superCleanworks(m): 11:52am On Dec 18, 2023
okay oh. more & more DEGREES
Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Britishpea: 11:52am On Dec 18, 2023
When I was in school, a brother who was about 36 joined us while I was in 200 level, then he was already a microbiology 400 level student of OAU, while he has already served the country(NYSC) as an electrical electronics HND graduate from a poly in Osun state. His rich uncle convinced him to study accounting so that he could take up a role in his company, came to gain admission to my school to start account from 100 level again.

Till now I don’t understand the rationale behind this but a man with ambition Vision is dangerous.

8 Likes

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by ClearFlair: 11:53am On Dec 18, 2023
inicyril:
Hello family!

THIS IS MY SITUATION

You don't need to study Computer Science be a successful software developer

2 Likes

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by money121(m): 11:53am On Dec 18, 2023
Ok
Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by joebeckz(m): 11:54am On Dec 18, 2023
Age is Not a matter to achieve, But the thought of age is a block for achievement. Just throw that thought, break that block and go back to school to achieve your dreams. You really are as old as you feel. . No matter what your age is, it is never too late to pursue your dreams. Age is literally just a number. It all comes down to your mindset.

I have a good friend who became an architect at 44 after working for an architectural firm as an admin professional for 12 years, he decided to get a degree in architecture after falling in love with the profession while working for a firm practicing it. The money his boss made was a drive for him to want to be an architect and today he has switched role to a senior architect in the same firm cos he put all his heart to it.

He now earns above 550k working for the same firm that paid him 170k as an admin staff and he also gets other contracts outside of the firm.
I have an invite to attend his house opening in owerri this December. A gigantic edifice, thanks to his relentless spirit of not being discouraged by his age.
He never might have achieved these things if he remained an admin staff.
We sometimes discover our talents late. But what we make out of it makes the difference.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by MosayA: 11:56am On Dec 18, 2023
It's never too late to go after your dream.

4 Likes

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Aremson14(m): 11:56am On Dec 18, 2023
Was in a similar situation as you, though younger. Currently a software engineer my pay isn’t bad. Have a fully funded scholarship for computer science abroad my undergraduate is biochem also…

. My advice is what do you have passion for? For me from child hood I always loved computers and never paid attention to it, as soon as I graduated I put in for medicine direct entry didn’t work out( I was extremely desperate),,on the contrary almost every software engineering job I applied for I was called for an interview and they were always impressed and this is because of the tremendous amount of knowledge and time I put in. even without a background in computer science

All in all ask what you have passion. The it sector is very challenging to get into but it’s a field that if you have passion for can take you places in a very short amount of time compared to medicine

Ps: I have a very good friend studying medicine and he is in his 400 already, he is 38… undergrad biochem

Ask yourself honestly what do you love doing the most

I hope this helps

5 Likes

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by tuoyoojo(m): 11:57am On Dec 18, 2023
U say medicine is your passion

But ask your self

What is motivating that passion

When you answer, I may be able to advise you

2 Likes

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by okoroemeka(m): 11:57am On Dec 18, 2023
inicyril:
Hello family!

THIS IS MY SITUATION

follow the route that will give you joy and happiness,not public opinion

3 Likes

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by MightySparrow: 11:58am On Dec 18, 2023
inicyril:
Hello family!

THIS IS MY SITUATION

If medicine is your passion and you can do it, go for it. I knew a lecturer in University of Ilorin those days. A PhD holder in Biochemistry. He enrolled again for medicine. Today he has fulfilled his passion. My pastor, enrolled in university at age of 35, read Law, last year, became a professor. Colonel Fadile, one of the phantom Abacha coupists, enrolled for Law, after dismissal from the Army, today, I think, he is a SAN.

An unfulfilled dream is like a tormenting shadow. You will ever live to regret it.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by danzaki63: 11:59am On Dec 18, 2023
Going back to school at any age is not an issue, the issue is your capbility , capacity and passion.The best decision is left for you, there are still of missing informations. Do you have the requirements for Medicine? Do you have the Financial wherewithal for the 6 years? school fess, books internship ? Is your Brain still sharp? You are in a better position to choose from the options you gave us.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by talk2hb1(m): 11:59am On Dec 18, 2023
inicyril:
Hello family!

THIS IS MY SITUATION

Follow your dream!
Hope you have your Finance in order, Hunger and lack of fund might not make you concentrate very well which might forfeit the purpose of going to school in the first place.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by israelmao(m): 12:00pm On Dec 18, 2023
Passion always drives you to where your real destiny is.Don't wait again makes hay while the sun shines.

2 Likes

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by JohnAOne: 12:01pm On Dec 18, 2023
eepeepook:
Honestly, going to school at an older age is better than when young. When older, you are more experienced and less likely to get distracted with social life. You’re also pliable to fit into a routine. God knows I hated waking up early from teenage years into my late twenties. From thirty-four, I saw no problem with maximizing the day aka waking up early.
What time do you get up?
Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by b0rn2fuck(m): 12:03pm On Dec 18, 2023
I think saheed osupa ,latin just graduated at almost 60...

1 Like

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by GUNITGuy: 12:05pm On Dec 18, 2023
Please go back to study medicine it's worth it .....Don't listen to people who wants you to give up on your dream......
You can still have your side hustle

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Best Career? / Chartered Institute Of Cost & Management Accounting(cicma),get Senate Approval! / Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.