Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,926 members, 7,817,715 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

Going Back To School At Age 34 - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Going Back To School At Age 34 (11190 Views)

Go Back To School At Age 40 / Intent On Going Back To My Previous Job / Lady Lists Her Achievements After Leaving Medical School At 28 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Ebonygeek(f): 12:08pm On Dec 18, 2023
inicyril:
Hello family!
My future is posing so much threat to my mental well-being and calls for serious help.
I've always been of the school of thought that decisions burdening on one's future should be the product of the person's deep thinking and not advice on social media platforms. Alas I was wrong!

THIS IS MY SITUATION
I would be 34 by February next year. I am a graduate of Biochemistry and I have been working as a teacher in a state government owned secondary School for the past 3 years.
Growing up, I've been passionate about studying medicine but couldn't due to financial constraints.
When I got my present job in 2021, the passion started coming back gradually but I ignored it and opted for a side hustle in software engineering. Late last year I got enrolled into alx software engineering program. I'll be done by the 22nd of this month. I've learnt a lot and acquired a lot of skills as well.
Despite this, the passion still keeps staring at me.
The issue here is, at my age is:
1. Is it a great idea going back to school to study medicine?
2. Should I go for computer science so as to boost my chances in the field of software engineering?
3. Or should I settle for PGD in education, then masters, to encourage my career growth in my present job?

I NEED SERIOUS ADVICE PLEASE.
You've only got one life sir. Spend it doing something that gives you genuine happiness. Imagine sitting in front of your computer 10 years from now, typing lines and lines of code, all the while thinking of the life that could have been.

4 Likes

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Slymonster(m): 12:09pm On Dec 18, 2023
Comp science isn't worth it and for me you would not learn much. Except you want to go and learn Fortran lol. You can even empower yourself with more certification or go for security and software engineering.
Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by arms8022: 12:18pm On Dec 18, 2023
whippersnapper:
Hope say you never marry. At that age you're likely going to dismantle more kpekus. well all i can say is more power to your odogwu
why do you think so
Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by drehdinho(m): 12:19pm On Dec 18, 2023
I will be 35 next year. I just finished from the law school.
It’s about the purpose. Not the destination. I was in a friend’s wedding ceremony few days ago. I met a couple of other secondary school mates at the function. Despite the fact that I have no property to my name and yet to marry. I didn’t feel oddly , because I am confident, by the time I start working, I will definitely start living the kind of life I had always wanted for myself.

One of other class mate of mine who has cars and , married with kids was busy complaining and almost regretting for not taking his time to pursue his career instead of pursing marriage and trying to impress the society.

He seemed bitter about the fact that I went back to school to study law with his discouraging comments.

I only listened to him but whether I will accept his line of reasoning or not absolutely depends on my own subjective opinion. I’m able to do so much with less effort with the vast knowledge and experience gained from the law school.

I constantly see myself as a winner and all my hopes are always high. No more inferiority complex.

So much benefits in education as long as it’s purposeful.

My advice is : go for whatever you are really passionate about or whatever that offers you the most value.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Evolutionism: 12:20pm On Dec 18, 2023
MightySparrow:

If medicine is your passion an you can do it, go for it.

I knew a lecturer in University of Ilorin those days. A PhD holder in Biochemistry. He enrolled again for medicine. Today he has fulfilled his passion.

My pastor, enrolled in university at age of 35, read Law, last year, became a professor.

Colonel Fadile, one of the phantom Abacha coupists, enrolled for Law, after dismissal from the Army, today, I think, he is a SAN.

An unfulfilled dream is like a tormenting shadow. You will ever live to regret it.

This is Great and Wonderful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Indispensable85(m): 12:24pm On Dec 18, 2023
Age is not a barrier at all. Chase your dreams man. But as for me, I'll only go back to school abroad at that age. Certainly not in Nigeria again. I'm done with Nigeria education system.

2 Likes

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Blackman101: 12:24pm On Dec 18, 2023
Medicine is a great profession and I will encourage anyone that is interested to go into it.

However, if you intend working and making a career in government, upon graduation it maybe late for you. also consider private university to avoid strike.

1 Like

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Laple0541(m): 12:30pm On Dec 18, 2023
inicyril:
Hello family!
My future is posing so much threat to my mental well-being and calls for serious help.
I've always been of the school of thought that decisions burdening on one's future should be the product of the person's deep thinking and not advice on social media platforms. Alas I was wrong!

THIS IS MY SITUATION
I would be 34 by February next year. I am a graduate of Biochemistry and I have been working as a teacher in a state government owned secondary School for the past 3 years.
Growing up, I've been passionate about studying medicine but couldn't due to financial constraints.
When I got my present job in 2021, the passion started coming back gradually but I ignored it and opted for a side hustle in software engineering. Late last year I got enrolled into alx software engineering program. I'll be done by the 22nd of this month. I've learnt a lot and acquired a lot of skills as well.
2. Should I go for computer science so as to boost my chances in the field of software engineering?
3. Or should I settle for PGD in education, then masters, to encourage my career growth in my present job?

You seem truly confused.Though at 34 you are still a kid and can still do a lot to add value to yourself. But the issue is you seem not to know what you really want.

If you are going to sponsor yourself and will be thinking of marrying or already married, forget about Medicine.

Why don’t you just continue on your software engineering profession? Get more certifications and apply for better jobs, even international ones. The world is going closer towards that direction on a daily basis.

Just think of what will be good for you and pray towards it. All the best.

1 Like

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by tellwisdom: 12:30pm On Dec 18, 2023
Foolish boi, you want to be like wole soyinka who has all the degrees and still working in a university in USA as a lecturer?

Or you want to be like A scholar who ended up supporting a druggie ??

Oboy, find food chop and relax o! Na illegal people de rule now. Even our judges are useless now. Military compromised by illiterates in power. Your lecturers who will be teaching you are being ruled and taking instructions from illegal people. Be wise. Just find food chop and relax till you die.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Faposky95: 12:42pm On Dec 18, 2023
oluwaseyi0:
I doubt you are been taught anything tangible in that ALX that's why you are still asking this question or even considering going to school to study computer science

Bro, concentrate on software development and coding, in a year or two you will be very solid and get nice job, you don't need to go back to study computer science

Concerning medicine, at your age and as a man use your tongue to count you teeth, do you have who will sponsor you? Who will take care of your nuclear family need while you fully face academics because you will finish that school in your late 40s

What about wife and children? Any plan for them?

Gba si be......
Na you give the guy sense pass

1 Like

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by gabicon: 12:49pm On Dec 18, 2023
inicyril:
Hello family!

THIS IS MY SITUATION

First of all Passion doesn't doesn't put food on the table nor is it a bankable currency. A career or business is like selling something in the market, if the market wants rice you better sell it to them, if it is beans your best bet is to sell beans. Find a career that it's services are in demand and plug yourself in it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by fimzzy1991: 12:50pm On Dec 18, 2023
Hi dear.
The question is why do you want to study medicine?
Do you have sufficient finances to start at least?
Do you have the time to invest?
Are you married, do you have kids?
You need to ask yourself tough questions on your motive.
If you want medicine because of a deep desire to make a difference in people's lives, great.
If you want it to gain some level of prestige, become wealthy, hmmm, you might be disappointed.
Many of my classmates did medicine for very wrong reasons and either couldn't finish or just didn't use it.

Age is never a barrier to any accomplishment because we're not running a competitive race.
Just choose your path, with God's help you'll get there, no hurries
My advice
Finish the software program you're into till it can sustain you,
Then process the direct entry into medicine.
When we graduated, few of our classmates already were 40 or close, some with 3kids. A lady had her baby and the next week wrote a major medical exam, she passed.
It takes determination but you need to really count the cost because medicine is not for the faint hearted!!!
I wish you all the best

1 Like

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Kenochi(m): 12:57pm On Dec 18, 2023
inicyril:

Yes please. I've been trying to build small projects for my portfolio.
Currently working with a team to build a fully functional e-commerce website. The frontend infrastructure has been fully set. We are 60% into the backend. The server infrastructures has been implemented, with api being the only thing left.

Really interested in this e commerce site,you can check my signature for my details
You can call or send a message
Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by bluestone2015: 1:04pm On Dec 18, 2023
Study medicine.
There is no age limit to employ a qualified doctor

1 Like

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by omoyankee3(m): 1:10pm On Dec 18, 2023
Age is nothing but a number, so go on and chase your dream

1 Like

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Scholace: 1:12pm On Dec 18, 2023
Pursue your childhood dream
Go-ahead and study Medicine

1 Like

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Casham: 1:14pm On Dec 18, 2023
Bros, I am now 32. I studied mechanical engineering in FUTMinna, but I couldn't graduate. I almost committed suicide because I came from a poor background and my family was looking up to me.
Believe me, no one can really understand the feeling and the struggle. I see myself as a failure. But I just wrote JAMB again this year, Though I do not necessarily have the typical supportive family, I will go through this struggle on my own. I am going back to school to study Medicine. I started different businesses, but they all folded up. Now I have left home to find my own way in the world and I am working my arse up and fighting for a scholarship.
I have learnt never to be bothered by any form of timeline anymore. I am not even worried about school, whether or not it works out. I just want to live and savor every single moment that comes my way. Life is not about big achievements or meeting up timelines. So just go for what you want. And have fun doing it. I love my life.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by WantsandMore: 1:16pm On Dec 18, 2023
inicyril:
Hello family!

THIS IS MY SITUATION

21 questions but this one is top, do you've money or scholarships to pursue your passion?
Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Error401: 1:29pm On Dec 18, 2023
Are you married?

inicyril:
Hello family!

THIS IS MY SITUATION

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Error401: 1:31pm On Dec 18, 2023
If you are not married, I will suggest that you get married, have a kid, and study medicine.

inicyril:
Hello family!

THIS IS MY SITUATION

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Moneyyman: 1:32pm On Dec 18, 2023
I can see that you have two main concerns: time (age) and stability.

Going back to school at 34 isn't a joke. You'll have to juggle family and personal responsibilities while struggling with academic work.

I believe you have your income sorted (the teaching job may have to go, but your programming skills should help you get something monthly).

1. If medicine is your absolute passion, then go for it. 6-8 years is too short a time to miss out on 40+ years as a doctor doing what you love. The 8 years will come and go anyway.

2. If you're not convinced on medicine, you can do a PGDE in Information Technology and go on to do an MSc in a tech field. That works, too.

3. Leave the education MSc or PGDE for now. You can do it much later if you want.

Finally, whatever you choose will impact your life going forward. Carefully consider how your finances, family (you didn't state if you have a wife and kids), and your long-term plan (travelin abroad, etc.)
Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by AngelicBeing: 1:46pm On Dec 18, 2023
MightySparrow:

If medicine is your passion and you can do it, go for it. I knew a lecturer in University of Ilorin those days. A PhD holder in Biochemistry. He enrolled again for medicine. Today he has fulfilled his passion. My pastor, enrolled in university at age of 35, read Law, last year, became a professor. Colonel Fadile, one of the phantom Abacha coupists, enrolled for Law, after dismissal from the Army, today, I think, he is a SAN.

An unfulfilled dream is like a tormenting shadow. You will ever live to regret it.
An unfulfilled dream is like a tormenting shadow, well Said cheesy

1 Like

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Observatory: 1:48pm On Dec 18, 2023
Candid Advice
Once you have the zeal , there is no age you can't learn , there are 70 years old graduates, I spent 10years in secondary .. after my 5 years Engineering course in Uni ... I went for another 4years Business management course in a different university which took six years due to NAIJA Factor which I finished with a 2.1. I am 34 too now and I am going for masters in a different course discipline ;Data sciences and A.I , I learnt python Language within two months...so if you think you want to do medicine of course you can do anything you put your mind too. Nothing is impossible

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by omojeesu(m): 1:50pm On Dec 18, 2023
inicyril:
Hello family!

THIS IS MY SITUATION

My candid opinion:

Use your Biochemistry knowledge to make money. Identify supplements & herbal industries that are into direct selling and using network marketing strategies. Use your knowledge to earn passive income.
Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by canyouguess99: 1:53pm On Dec 18, 2023
A friend of mine read mathematics and left with a lower grade. After looking front and back, he opted to study computer science. Started with a Diploma, now in his higher diploma finals.
Follow your dreams. It's yours and not anyone's own.

2 Likes

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Skyehigher1: 1:56pm On Dec 18, 2023
My guy please puzzle your carrier that you have passion for because passion lead people to their destination what I want you to think very well is how to finance your carrier and school let me give you my own experience am a first born of my families .... My parents don't have money to sponsor any of us but when I saw the future of all of us I just leave my parents alone and and I dedicated myself to the all of our future and on the way of that I have gather a lot of experience to become everything I want to be in life and also all my younger brother and sister lift me to my carrier because I face their future and now they want to face my future too and am telling you bro within 10 years now by the powerful grace of God Almighty Allah I will be what I want to be in my life

1 Like

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Hollyharjii: 2:03pm On Dec 18, 2023
K
Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by ItisWell22(f): 2:03pm On Dec 18, 2023
drehdinho:
I will be 35 next year. I just finished from the law school.
It’s about the purpose. Not the destination. I was in a friend’s wedding ceremony few days ago. I met a couple of other secondary school mates at the function. Despite the fact that I have no property to my name and yet to marry. I didn’t feel oddly , because I am confident, by the time I start working, I will definitely start living the kind of life I had always wanted for myself.

One of other class mate of mine who has cars and , married with kids was busy complaining and almost regretting for not taking his time to pursue his career instead of pursing marriage and trying to impress the society.

He seemed bitter about the fact that I went back to school to study law with his discouraging comments.

I only listened to him but whether I will accept his line of reasoning or not absolutely depends on my own subjective opinion. I’m able to do so much with less effort with the vast knowledge and experience gained from the law school.

I constantly see myself as a winner and all my hopes are always high. No more inferiority complex.

So much benefits in education as long as it’s purposeful.

My advice is : go for whatever you are really passionate about or whatever that offers you the most value.

My story! 😊🤝

You just feel so good, even without excess funds in the account; to have pursued a dream and made it your reality! 💯
Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by maxinvile(m): 2:13pm On Dec 18, 2023
I find myself at a crossroads like the OP above, therefore seeking your guidance. Having earned a degree in Chemistry, I subsequently pursued a PGDE and secured a teaching position at a private school, specializing in chemistry, with a current monthly salary of 150k. Despite this, my enduring passion for medicine persists.

At 38 years old, balancing family responsibilities with a wife and baby, I also manage a successful patent medicine shop, duly licensed by the PCN, generating daily sales. My dilemma lies in whether to resign from my teaching position, focus on the patent medicine shop, and also have time to embark on a degree in Medicine or should I continue with the teaching job. Daily as I wake I have the urge to resign while the age factors weigh me down and how to sponsor myself and my family since I have been self-sponsored right from my university days. Your advice on navigating this pivotal decision would be invaluable

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by relaxandsmile: 2:20pm On Dec 18, 2023
inicyril:
Hello family!

THIS IS MY SITUATION

No time to waste any longer. Go for pgd in computer science, as you have already acquired some experiences on it. Climb the ladder along that line. Leave medicine for your 'children' if they will be interested.
Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by drimzsmoke(m): 2:23pm On Dec 18, 2023
inicyril:
Hello family!

THIS IS MY SITUATION

Just forget about the age, which of the above do you truly want for yourself
There are people over 40years in med school!!!

1 Like

Re: Going Back To School At Age 34 by Snapdrag0n: 2:24pm On Dec 18, 2023
I'm a software developer and a medic.
I'll advise you to focus on both.
Medicine is time consuming, but as a human being you can divide your space @24hrs into 3. You'll have 8hrs each. What are u doing in these 8hrs?

In my case, I'm not borrowing and I'll never, rather I give lend to people. The software development gives me cash. Every week my friend connect me with clients. And we agreed that I pay him #50,000-#200,000 depending on the client offer. So if I developed a fintech app costing 1-2M for a client, I give him 100,000. That's his job. He organise events and meet clients to discuss business. Then brings to me and I develop it.

1month to exams I suspend every work until I'm done with exams. Sometimes I'll tell clients your workis complicated and I'll finish in 3 or 4months time just to have more time to finish some things in med school. It was hard when I started clinicals but I managed.

If your class starts by 08 and ends in 4pm. That's 8hrs. You still have 16hrs left to do other things.
Let say you later decided to rest , u can't sleep for 8hrs. It's too much. Highest is 5hrs and you still have 3hrs to study. What will u do with the remaining 8hrs?
You can still study again, go out for sports, church/mosque, or meet friends. You can still use the remaining time if you're not doing any to code.

That's how it works for me because if you want to suspend your software engineer and concentrate in medicine, you'll regret not having money to even do other things. You need money as a man.

If you've or save enough funds you can even leave the country like In my case because you'll meet guys who will support u. There's still some good guys in Naija and I can tell. So focus on both. Adjust your time

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chartered Institute Of Cost & Management Accounting(cicma),get Senate Approval! / What Is The Best Career? / Have You Ever Been Insecure About What You Studied In School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.