Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,845 members, 7,813,856 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:54 PM

My Journey To Ikoyi Prison - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Journey To Ikoyi Prison (6061 Views)

Lady Studied Law To Get Her Father Out Of Prison (Photos) / All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court / My Journey To Motherhood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Eskoba: 7:32pm On Dec 21, 2023
Good evening fellow Nigerians and nairalanders reading my story.

I'm about sharing the story of my life as a single father and how I landed in ikoyi prison and my release.

First of all before I commence with my story I will love to give a special shout out to my aged mother for staying with me during these tough times despite being a widow without any source of income. Please help me say a prayer to her that may she reap the fruits of her labour.

Back to my story, my misfortune started when I started working as a dispatcher for a company. I wouldn't lie I was totally at fault for my ordeal but it wasn't intentional as I had to divert the company's funds for my personal issue(my son's health)

I was arrested and taken to court by my employer and was remanded at ikoyi prison pending was bail was perfected.

I was 13 months of my life in prison. I will share my experiences in prison soon.

Also, I'm glad my son I spent all these money on was hale and hearty as I came back from prison because I promised him I was gonna celebrate this Xmas with him despite sending the last Xmas in prison and I'm glad God made it possible even if I don't have money to get him a Xmas clothes.

I will be right back to share my experience here

Mynd44
Lalasticlala
Seun
Nlfpmod
Dominique

Let's take to front page to educate people against crime

10 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Eskoba: 8:06pm On Dec 21, 2023
So I was arraigned at a magistrate court in lagos, my charges were read to me which I pleaded not guilty. The magistrate in charge, a woman, then adjourned the case, granted me bail and I was remanded at ikoyi prison pending my bail will be perfected.

We got to ikoyi prison, our entrance into the prison yard, I sobbed so hard that other inmates in the bus were looking at me like I never see anything.

We arrived at the prison, and we were ask to drop our phones, money, wristwatch and anything on us. Infact we were thoroughly searched, and while we were being searched, some hard faced looking guys were calling for us and asking for our names, I later got to know they were the elders in various cells.

We were all matched into a cell called D ward cell 5, commonly known as welcome cell, trust me when I say that cell was a hell on earth.

We were thoroughly searched by the leaders of the cell again to see if we have any cash on us. Anyone found with cash with will be stripped of the money and beaten like a goat.

Permit me to say, I saw adults, touts crying like babies in these cell, Why? They are new inmates, the leaders in the cell had a phone which was supposed to be prohibited but they had it, lol..
So they asked each one of us to call our families and bill them to send money to us(they had an acct in there) if we wanted to live fine and sleep well in the cell. Anyone who didn't have anyone to call or doesn't get money would be made to go through hell.

Believe me, anyone who survives that hell will survive anything in Nigeria today.

I will be right back to continue my story

8 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by FaceTanke: 8:30pm On Dec 21, 2023
Sorry ehn
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Eskoba: 8:43pm On Dec 21, 2023
It was my turn to call my family, I knew I don't have to call except my mother but I didn't wish to call her because I knew how was feeling when I was taken into prison also with the fact she will be in hospital to be with my son, but I still had to call her and I explained the situation in there to her which she eventually sent 4k to the account provided by the cell leaders.

The cell marshals consist of

Section 1- he's the head of the cell>
02 - he's the deputy>
DPO- he takes down names and registration of new inmates brought to the cell>
OC Lamba- he's in charge of the water used in the cell
OC food- he's in charge of food shared to inmates in a cell.
Mopol- he's in charge of beating inmates in cell.

So after my mom sent the money I was still beaten because they asked I pay a minimum of 25k. My 4k was gone.

Later that evening, Muslims in d cell were asked to do their prayers then Christian also did theirs, all in the cell, they all had their sessions.

Trust me, especially the Christians, there were alot of talents in prison, ranging from drummers to singers to preachers. I was also a talent Cus I'm a very good drummer and singer.

After the prayers, then our main suffering begun, it was time to sleep.

Imagine a room with over 200+ grown ups to sleep excluding those who paid to be on bed. Those who didn't pay were asked to sleep on the floor, packed like sardine (they call it jankara) it was the hell I was talking about.

I'm coming back to tell this part cry

5 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Kobojunkie: 8:49pm On Dec 21, 2023
Eskoba:
It was my turn to call my family, I knew I don't have to call except my mother but I didn't wish to call her because I knew how was feeling when I was taken into prison also with the fact she will be in hospital to be with my son, but I still had to call her and I explained the situation in there to her which she eventually sent 4k to the account provided by the cell leaders.
The cell marshals consist of
Section 1- he's the head of the cell>
02 - he's the deputy>
DPO- he takes down names and registration of new inmates brought to the cell>
OC Lamba- he's in charge of the water used in the cell
OC food- he's in charge of food shared to inmates in a cell.
Mopol- he's in charge of beating inmates in cell.

So after my mom sent the money I was still beaten because they asked I pay a minimum of 25k. My 4k was gone.
I know Lagos state prides itself as a state ahead of the others, so do you know if the government even pays attention to the condition and treatment of inmates in these jails? undecided
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Eskoba: 8:59pm On Dec 21, 2023
Kobojunkie:
I know Lagos state prides itself as a state ahead of the others, so do you know if the government even pays attention to the condition and treatment of inmates in these jails? undecided
conditions and treatments u say? Lmao... No one cares about anyone once u are in there. We were treated like shits and nobody, I'm sure lagos govt doesn't know such a place exist

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Eskoba: 9:13pm On Dec 21, 2023
So were asked to sleep on one side of our arm so others could get a place to sleep, just like how a sardine is packed even worse with beating ooo...

It was the worse night in my life, I couldn't sleep all through the night. Is it the way we slept? Or the odours coming out? Or the beatings from the cell marshals? Or the cries of people like me who were innocent looking types.

So early as 5:30am they were woken with belts and abara(yoruba words for bare hands) for morning prayers both Christian and Muslims.

Before we could finish our prayers, they brought breakfast( beans) even a dog doesn't deserve that kinda beans.

See boys yearning for these beans, I will so shocked I rejected the beans meanwhile I didn't have any food to eat in the morning but I couldn't eat that thing.

When the day became more bright, they asked for inmates to pack shit. They selected from our cell but I wasn't selected. I heard it was because of the 4k my mom sent I was given a grace. Few people were asked to go outside for daily business and funfair but we as alejo(new comers) we were locked up. But we were later taken out for documentations and also they barbed our hair. Very horrifying experiences. Pls say no to crime🙏😢

I will continue my story, I'm coming

10 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Nice2023(m): 9:41pm On Dec 21, 2023
Sorry,if u are a man... u are a widower.

And hope u have change from ur old ways?

Good luck to u.
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Eskoba: 9:43pm On Dec 21, 2023
Nice2023:
Sorry,if u are a man... u are a widower.

And hope u have change from ur old ways?

Good luck to u.
yes sir. I have changed. I wasn't that type of person initially but I didn't have choice to save my son. The widow part I was referring to my mom

5 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Etosha: 10:06pm On Dec 21, 2023
I visited Afokang prison in Calabar when I was a student... I am yet to perceive a similar odour in real life.

5 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Eskoba: 10:22pm On Dec 21, 2023
Etosha:
I visited Afokang prison in Calabar when I was a student... I am yet to perceive a similar odour in real life.
I'm telling you sir, it's that bad

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Thazard(m): 10:54pm On Dec 21, 2023
Mhen I haven't been to prison before but the day I slept in cell due to anger issue ehn...

Wetin I experience that day my mouth no fit talk.

I just decided to share my story

I was stripped at the counter and taken to my cell.As soon as I got in there,one of the bulky guy seemingly the leader and his gangs came to me asking of cell money.Then as an ajebo,I was terrified and I lied that It was on my clothes at the counter.

I was told to hang myself on the tiny window close to the roof and heavy hands were falling on my back. I remained that way until I couldn't endure it any longer and I fell down.I was pitied and shown my spot to sit.

In the evening,I was beginning to get really hungry and some of the cell mate organized money and bought yale bread (the carton) and a bag of pure water.It was distribution amongst all of us. Despite my pain,I felt touched by the caring spirit of all.Of course the bread couldn't go round some had to tear their bread into two and give to their cell mates.

I was really touched by the spirit of brotherhood.In the morning,my family brought food for me to eat and I shared to the cellmate.some didn't want to make me feel short on my right so they refused to eat.Mhen the care their is really mind touching.

I spent two nights there.The next Sunday,I didn't go to church.i went straight to the market and bought a carton of yale bread and #500 groundnut which I took to the station.

The policewomen were happy that I remembered those I left in there but one of them took one of the bread for herself despite my plea that the inmate were hungry.I was told to go give them what I brought.

Some of them were shocked that I came back
For them. Perhaps I was one of the few who ever did that.

I haven't really been financially okay else I would like to do something for them on Christmas day.

Time still dey,may God help me!

Our cells and prisons inmates needs help from the government.

I wouldn't like to spend my time there again maybe unless for visitation and givings

God forbid bad thing!

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by GboyegaD(m): 12:28am On Dec 22, 2023
It is well. My experience in the cell was in 1998 and it was about 4 hours. The police picked me up during their raid at Tincan Island. I was slapped by a useless police officer because I asked for his warrant of arrest. My mom had to bail me with N2500. She was there when I was picked and asked the question. She had to beg me to follow the police men because for me, I felt I was been humiliated on my right.

The cell was pretty empty and sincerely, I slept off where I sat. I guess it was because I knew my mom was surely coming to bail me that very day.

Sorry about your story but 13 months was such a long time. Were you able to pay back the money?

6 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by elpochas: 2:44am On Dec 22, 2023
If you can't do the time,don't do the crime.But I keep asking myself about so many innocent people rotting in jail.

5 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Gbadugbakun(m): 4:36am On Dec 22, 2023
Following
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by kolamilan(m): 4:59am On Dec 22, 2023
So touching....

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Godoverevery: 6:45am On Dec 22, 2023
Kobojunkie:

Is lagos state in charge of Nigeria prison

6 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Chimookigwe: 6:51am On Dec 22, 2023
Kobojunkie:

Prisons are under the Federal Government, not states.
The FG is responsible for the plights of inmates in jail.

12 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Kobojunkie: 7:01am On Dec 22, 2023
Godoverevery:
■ Is lagos state in charge of Nigeria prison
Chimookigwe:
Prisons are under the Federal Government, not states. The FG is responsible for the plights of inmates in jail.
So what you two want us to believe is that the State Governor can pardon for release inmates but can do absolutely nothing about the condition of inmates in the prison system? undecided

Sanwo-Olu pardons 49 prisoners for 2nd term celebration
New Year: Sanwo-Olu approves release of 104 inmates from Lagos prisons
Governor Of Lagos State Sanwo-olu Frees Six Inmates From Prison

2023 ending yet change remains far far away! lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Godoverevery: 7:05am On Dec 22, 2023
Kobojunkie:
... So what you two want us to believe is that the State Governor can pardon for release inmates but can do absolutely nothing about the condition of inmates in the prison system? undecided

Sanwo-Olu pardons 49 prisoners for 2nd term celebration
New Year: Sanwo-Olu approves release of 104 inmates from Lagos prisons
Governor Of Lagos State Sanwo-olu Frees Six Inmates From Prison

2023 ending yet change remains far far away! lipsrsealed

The governor can't outrightly pardon an inmate ......he must seek approval from FG.

Infact most pardon are Granted on October 1st and is mostly across the nation.

There is a bill in house of rep trying to give state government control over the prisons......I don't know if it will be pass.

4 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by slan87(m): 7:07am On Dec 22, 2023
So sorry about your experience
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by GIDIBANKZ(m): 7:11am On Dec 22, 2023
shocked
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Evolutionism: 7:13am On Dec 22, 2023
As a Nigerian man from a humble background.

If you have never been detained in a police cell. You should be thankful because the experience is gory. The prison will be very much worse off as you can see from Op's experience.

I have been to Cells like Four Times on raidings and wrong accusations. Prison is where i pray i will never visit in my entire life by the most high grace.

These experiences are what inspired and motivated me to become a SA.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Kobojunkie: 7:16am On Dec 22, 2023
Godoverevery:
The governor can't outrightly pardon an inmate ......he must seek approval from FG. Infact most pardon are Granted on October 1st and is mostly across the nation. There is a bill in house of rep trying to give state government control over the prisons......I don't know if it will be pass.
Interesting! The governor is able to seek permission to free inmates but not to improve condition of the inmates in the prisons? Continue! undecided

The one contributor above mentioned he took food stuff to the prison of his own to help alleviate their hunger but you wish for us to believe instead that a government able to work to free inmates cannot do even that much. lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Chimookigwe: 7:23am On Dec 22, 2023
Kobojunkie:
... So what you two want us to believe is that the State Governor can pardon for release inmates but can do absolutely nothing about the condition of inmates in the prison system? undecided.

I can show you pictures of Governors decorating Police officers but are you aware that the Governor can't employ or sack a single Policeman.

12 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Chimookigwe: 7:25am On Dec 22, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Interesting! The governor is able to seek permission to free inmates but not to improve condition of the inmates in the prisons? Continue! undecided

The one contributor above mentioned he took food stuff to the prison of his own to help alleviate their hunger but you wish for us to believe instead that a government able to work to free inmates cannot do even that much. lipsrsealed

The government budgets good money to feed the inmates, but unfortunately, it is stolen in the unending cascade of corruption.

5 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Godoverevery: 7:25am On Dec 22, 2023
Kobojunkie:

I can see you just want to argue.

State government that can't even pay workers well nah en go kan carry criminals welfare.......lol

Have a lovely day.

6 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Kobojunkie: 7:28am On Dec 22, 2023
Thazard:
■ The policewomen were happy that I remembered those I left in there but one of them took one of the bread for herself despite my plea that the inmate were hungry.I was told to go give them what I brought.
Some of them were shocked that I came back
For them. Perhaps I was one of the few who ever did that.

I haven't really been financially okay else I would like to do something for them on Christmas day. Time still dey,may God help me!
Our cells and prisons inmates needs help from the government.
I wouldn't like to spend my time there again maybe unless for visitation and givings God forbid bad thing!
Good work abeg! undecided
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Gbadugbakun(m): 8:03am On Dec 22, 2023
Nlfpmod this is front page Worthy

4 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Clinghton: 8:07am On Dec 22, 2023
If Nigeria is hell on earth what do you expect its cell to be.

5 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by aieromon(m): 9:17am On Dec 22, 2023
Kobojunkie:

Prisons fall under the exclusive list of the Federal Government.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Perks Of Being A Lastborn / Single Ladies Between 25 And 30 Years Of Age. / How Best To Treat House-helps (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.