Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. (13937 Views)

How My Mechanic Tried To Ruin My Car... / Help! My Mechanic Changed Engine Oil Through Dipstick. / Cost Of New Radiator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by Yelight(m): 2:24pm On Dec 28, 2023
He might not be wrong he only need to tell you his why.
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by Ten06(m): 2:26pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jjokke:
I bought a brand new radiator for my Lexus RX330.
I told the mechanic that I need to buy coolant. He said I should use ONLY water for some time (like 3 months) before using coolant.
Please I need opinions on this because I don't know if a new radiator require only water first before using coolant.

Those mechanic that learn work with beetles will just be giving wrong advise here and there.
Very soon he will tell you to remove the thermostat as if he knows the function.
I beg don't mind him put coolant in your radiator to help your engine function optimally
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by kuntash: 2:27pm On Dec 28, 2023
BigIyanga:

Fire ur mechanic. Boilling/freezing point of coolant no be same with water.

Even the VAG vehicles of Benz and BMW doesn't have a thermostat value of boiling water ... Most thermostats opens from 71° c. To cool the engine.

Unless there is an issue with the cooling system .

Don't get me wrong though, if there is an issue with the cooling system , the best of OEM water coolants can't fix it .... That's my point !
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by NwaliE01: 2:28pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jjokke:
I told the mechanic that I need to buy coolant. He said I should use ONLY water for some time (like 3 months) before using coolant.
Please I need opinions on this because I don't know if a new radiator require only water first before using coolant.

Please change mechanic ASAP. This is opposite the manufacturers recommendation.
Manufacturers recommends that you shouldn't use Ordinary water for your vehicle's engine coolant. I don't know 😕 which manual Nigeria mechanics are using.
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by DukeNija(m): 2:32pm On Dec 28, 2023
kuntash:

Even the VAG vehicles of Benz and BMW doesn't have a thermostat value of boiling water ... Most thermostats opens from 71° c. To cool the engine.

Unless there is an issue with the cooling system .

Don't get me wrong though, if there is an issue with the cooling system , the best of OEM water coolants can't fix it .... That's my point !

You’re right.
The only disadvantage of water in our climate are the corrosive properties inside mineral water. Antifreeze is advised for colder climates but distilled water can suffice in much temperate regions.
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by Galaxydon1(m): 2:34pm On Dec 28, 2023
free2ryhme:

You wey sapa dey hold dey form owner of brand new lexus
enemy of progress

2 Likes

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by DukeNija(m): 2:36pm On Dec 28, 2023
Just yesterday I fixed my engine cooling system myself against the advice of my mechanic to buy double cell radiator. Car is still on the original radiator and thermostat. All I had to do was unclog the heater core which was blocked by coolant gum to allow coolant flow through for heat exchange.
Most Nigerian mechanics are useless
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by lekanation(m): 2:52pm On Dec 28, 2023
To my own perspective coolant has its own separate tank while radiator is mainly for water
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by owagbeba: 2:52pm On Dec 28, 2023
free2ryhme:

you no fit buy brand new Lexus come dey ask stupid question here

Guy, what’s wrong with you people? It’s totally wrong to say this, even as a joke to a stranger.

It’ is his choice to buy secondhand, third-hand car. His choice, his money! Why try so hard to debase his effort on a public forum… gosh!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by joebeckz(m): 2:54pm On Dec 28, 2023
free2ryhme:

Your reasoning is quite weird.
The year of that comment is 2017.
This is 2023.

Bros between 2019 to 2022 i had a major breakthrough.
My status changed.
Why do you think his status didn't change?

You are not a good person at all.
I wonder if you think everyone has a terrible misfortune like yourself.

You are not happy for people.
How will God remember you?

16 Likes

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by BigCowHornn: 2:56pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jjokke:

So which one is better?

Follow come or Belgium. They are always second hand but the real deal

Either that or you go to the dealership to get one

Always keep at the back of your mind that 99 percent of brand new car parts in the Nigerian open market are China, which is substandard.

Same thing with generator parts
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by Dagger111(m): 2:57pm On Dec 28, 2023
free2ryhme:

Na so una dey fail exams, the guy didn't say he bought brand new Lexus, rather, he said he just bought brand new Lexus Radiator for his RX330 ride. Make una dey calm down read small.

6 Likes

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by joebeckz(m): 2:57pm On Dec 28, 2023
kuntash:

Is there RX330 brand New 2023 models ?

That SUV I think is between 2004 to 2006( US spec)
No rx 330 from 2006 but maintained the shape to 2009

So let's say that design ended in 2009 and moved to another generation.
RX 350.

Though rx 350 2009 and 08 has same shape as the 330.
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by RexMUna(m): 3:00pm On Dec 28, 2023
[color=#000099][/color]
Jjokke:

The truth is some engines can operate smoothly with or without a coolant because the water only goes to the top cylinder and block.
You should check if your car still use a thermostat because it is always removed because of the temperature level in our African weather. Only a water pump can cause severe damage when faulty.
If your car has been using a coolant then there is no reason to stop using.
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by Elbizzcklinz(m): 3:01pm On Dec 28, 2023
Download Carmedis app for your vehicle repairs in Lagos.
www.carmedis.com
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by Josbreed: 3:11pm On Dec 28, 2023
free2ryhme:

Go school you no gree, now you no sabi read properly. Read the post again. The op said she bought a brand new radiator, not Lexus.

1 Like

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by ariesbull: 3:13pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jjokke:
lies ..there is no brand new lexus RX330..That car was stopped been produced 2006..that ride is an old car use water
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by tiswell(m): 3:13pm On Dec 28, 2023
kuntash:

Is there RX330 brand New 2023 models ?

That SUV I think is between 2004 to 2006( US spec)
That's like 2 decades.

Op,is definitely living in the past.
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by Badguy77(m): 3:14pm On Dec 28, 2023
free2ryhme:

If you dey look down on yourself it's normal but pls NEVER look down on other people cos you don't know them.

7 Likes

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by kunle75(m): 3:15pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jjokke:

Change him ASAP please.

Am an automotive technology student learning about car repairs and building,
That mechanic is demon.
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by encryptjay(m): 3:20pm On Dec 28, 2023
joebeckz:

This is 2023.

My status changed.

That's a very silly post from that poster. Same post he said he had a better job in a world class organization. Why are some people so pessimistic like this?
Using post of over 5 years to measure someone's progress.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by sevenhundred(m): 3:22pm On Dec 28, 2023
free2ryhme:

please!!! Read, read, please read and understand please.

2 Likes

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by encryptjay(m): 3:23pm On Dec 28, 2023
ariesbull:
lies ..there is no brand new lexus RX330..That car was stopped been produced 2006..that ride is an old car use water
'Brand new radiator' is what he posted.

2 Likes

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by chrisnando: 3:26pm On Dec 28, 2023
joebeckz:

This is 2023.

My status changed.

Honestly some people on this forum are just d@ft.
6 months is even enough for someone's status to change.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by novexme(m): 3:35pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jjokke:

That isnt right, using water would corrode your radiator, always use only radiator coolant.

Even for detection of leaks coolant is better because it is coloured.

Ensure you use a very good coolant. depending on the type of engine block your car has.

There are different types of coolant in the market but I can recommend an ideal one for you which is Hacops Radiator coolant, Total radiator coolant or Ardova Radiator coolant.

Take it from someone who is in that field.

2 Likes

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by xjiggy: 3:54pm On Dec 28, 2023
free2ryhme:

That post is from 2017. Even in the post he attested to getting a great job in a world class org. 6yrs on, the niggy has a Lexus and instead of celebrating him, you're trying to ridicule him. Shame on you

6 Likes

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by ppogba: 3:56pm On Dec 28, 2023
chrisnando:

Honestly some people on this forum are just d@ft.
6 months is even enough for someone's status to change.

Majority here are still kids.
Some undergraduates
Some school certificate holders.
Some boy boy for someone else inside a two by two shop.
A sizeable some.still being fed by their parents.
Some jobless and hence frustrated.
Some.joyless and hence can never see others achieve good things

3 Likes

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by Fantazy(m): 4:27pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jjokke:

Secretly contact another mechanic and hear what he will say also. If it contradicts, then you need a change of mechanic

1 Like

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by theamazonguru(m): 4:34pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jjokke:
Run from that mechanic.

Is his name Ahmed?
Lol.

Start with coolant abeg.
I enjoyed my car when I was using coolant.
I would also buy fuel additives.
I was feeling fly then because I just bought the car so I didn't mind the cost.

But as the car was getting old.
I dropped the idea, but I also noticed significant drop in engine performance.

My experience sha.
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by Sammy5413(m): 4:50pm On Dec 28, 2023
Ur mechanic?
Coffin seller want customers
Dey play
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by kuntash: 4:52pm On Dec 28, 2023
joebeckz:
No rx 330 from 2006 but maintained the shape to 2009

So let's say that design ended in 2009 and moved to another generation.
RX 350.

Though rx 350 2009 and 08 has same shape as the 330.

RX330 was the second generation of the RX brands of Lexus family and it started in 2004 . The first gen was around 1998 which is the RX300.

The number kinda denotes the engine capacities .
RX 300 = 3.0 litre - from 1998 till 2003
RX330 = 3.3 litre - From 2004 till 2006
RX350 = 3.5 litre- from 2007 till date

While the 400 & 450 were reserved for hybrid and electric

I have purchased, Reviewed , fixed and sold many of them for biz .

They are very good SUVs

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? / Where Can I Get A 2009 Honda City? / Using Amasco Oil Instead Of 5w30 Oil.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.