Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,423 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. (13933 Views)

How My Mechanic Tried To Ruin My Car... / Help! My Mechanic Changed Engine Oil Through Dipstick. / Cost Of New Radiator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by verifiablefacts: 5:13pm On Dec 28, 2023
The mechanic knows what he is saying,he bought you a China, sorry, fake radiator.
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by haphizz57(m): 5:39pm On Dec 28, 2023
free2ryhme:

you no fit buy brand new Lexus come dey ask stupid question here
Am nt sure u write jamb. Whr did u see brand new lexus. Limit garri
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by PEACE2023: 6:08pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jjokke:
I bought a brand new radiator for my Lexus RX330.
I told the mechanic that I need to buy coolant. He said I should use ONLY water for some time (like 3 months) before using coolant.
Please I need opinions on this because I don't know if a new radiator require only water first before using coolant.
Change your mechanic
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by BestTrades: 6:20pm On Dec 28, 2023
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by ariesbull: 6:30pm On Dec 28, 2023
encryptjay:

'Brand new radiator' is what he posted.
he can use water....I bought brand new radiator last year I still use water
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by InvertedHammer: 6:54pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jjokke:
I told the mechanic that I need to buy coolant. He said I should use ONLY water for some time (like 3 months) before using coolant.
Please I need opinions on this because I don't know if a new radiator require only water first before using coolant.
/
Your car engine system is pressurized and once it reaches the operating temperature, leaks will show. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes of driving. So his advice doesn't make any sense. He sounds like one of those mechanics that advise car owners to get rid of the thermostat.

/

2 Likes

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by Yestogood: 7:26pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jjokke:

Your mechanic is correct. Just follow his instructions.
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by bdon123(m): 7:53pm On Dec 28, 2023
Jjokke:
He is a compound fool.make sure u buy d right coolant becos it differs.i tink for toyota cars its a borate based coolant ....u might wanna google it.also buy original not fake.
All this roadside mechanic wit zero knowledge sef.
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by ubee(m): 7:54pm On Dec 28, 2023
The info I expected you to put down is "if your car is the type designed for coolant-only in the radiator.

But whether that's the case or not, I want to give you a very important advice.
*Always heed to the instructions from a source that your common sense tells you is more credible than the rest.

I bought a v6 Honda engine years back which is designed for coolant-only radiator. In the following months and years I met mechanics telling me that it's okay to use only water in the radiator.
Imagine the nonsense advice!

In the car manual, the owner is warned to use only 100% anti-freeze coolant, then some ignorant mechanics are looking for ways to destroy your peace and finances.

When you get a device or automobile, follow the instructions on the user manual

2 Likes

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by bdon123(m): 7:56pm On Dec 28, 2023
ariesbull:
he can use water....I bought brand new radiator last year I still use water
U radiator will be susceptible to rust quicker than someone using coolant.also u should know that coolant increases boiling point n reduces freezing point....making ur radiator work better efficiency. If u dnt hav leaks,my broda buy original coolant as per manufacturer recommendation.
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by bdon123(m): 7:57pm On Dec 28, 2023
Yelight:
He might not be wrong he only need to tell you his why.
He is very wrong...there is no reason watsever
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by membranus: 8:14pm On Dec 28, 2023
sboga:
use coca cola

What if the radiator got addicted to it, na you go dey giv am money for refill? grin
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by Altair25(m): 8:33pm On Dec 28, 2023
free2ryhme:

you no fit buy brand new Lexus come dey ask stupid question here

Nna eh, no difference between your brain and the milky way galaxy. Space every where
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by pijam: 8:55am On Dec 29, 2023
There's a reason behind that which is not because of leakage, I have seen massive generator installation and water was the first to be used to run them after some time the water is drained and coolant is used
Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by Cumtroller: 8:30am On Jan 05
free2ryhme:

You wey sapa dey hold dey form owner of brand new lexus

When Baba God bless you dem go ask you why!!! Be happy when you see others succeeding, life na turn by turn. With this attitude of yours it might be very difficult for God to pick your call.

1 Like

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by Requestmechanic: 5:26pm On Jan 08
Jjokke:
If you're in Lagos contact roadside assistant by going to www.requestmechanic.com click the red circle "click on Request Now" button to get immediate assistance . Also enter your email to join the waitlist bar by clicking on join the the Wait list.

Your mechanic's advice to use only water in your new Lexus RX330 radiator for 3 months before switching to coolant is not recommended by most car manufacturers and mechanics. Here's why:

Disadvantages of using only water:

Corrosion and rust: Water lacks the anti-corrosion and anti-rust properties of coolant, which can damage the radiator, engine block, and other components in the cooling system over time.
Overheating: Water has a lower boiling point than coolant, meaning your engine is more likely to overheat, especially in hot weather or during heavy driving.
Freezing: In cold climates, water can freeze, potentially cracking the radiator and causing serious damage.
Reasons to use coolant from the start:

Protection: Coolant is specially formulated to protect your cooling system from corrosion, rust, overheating, and freezing.
Lubrication: Coolant also helps lubricate the water pump and other moving parts in the cooling system.
Optimal performance: Using the right coolant ensures your engine operates at the optimal temperature, maximizing fuel efficiency and engine performance.
So, what should you do?

It's best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for your specific Lexus RX330 model. The owner's manual will usually specify the type and ratio of coolant to use. In most cases, it's a pre-mixed coolant that you can directly add to the radiator.

If you can't find the information in the manual, consult a different mechanic for a second opinion.

Here are some additional tips:

Never use tap water: Tap water contains minerals that can accelerate corrosion. Use distilled water or a pre-mixed coolant.
Flush the system: If you've been using water, it's a good idea to flush the cooling system before adding coolant to remove any sediment or contaminants.
Maintain proper coolant level: Regularly check the coolant level in your overflow reservoir and top it up if necessary.
By using the right coolant and maintaining proper levels, you can help extend the life of your new radiator and keep your Lexus RX330 engine running smoothly.

I hope this clarifies the situation and helps you make an informed decision!

Re: Opinions Needed: My Mechanic Said I Should Use Only Water First In New Radiator. by Morphinne: 10:51pm On Jan 15
free2ryhme:

You wey sapa dey hold dey form owner of brand new lexus
With this comment, it’s obvious that your life has been stagnant for the past 7 years grin
You legit picked a post he made in 2017, that is some 7 years ago bro , and think his life is just the way it was then grin
Work and pray my friend, not everyone is under generational curse like you.
Plus, he didn’t even say he bought a new Lexus, get a private tutor or an elementary school pupil to read out and explain to you in the most basic terms what the OP’s posted grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? / Where Can I Get A 2009 Honda City? / Car Guzzling Fuel? You Might Need Replacing Your Car Catalytic Converter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.