Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,817 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University (43025 Views)

Assistant Lecturer In Lagos Or My 40k Salary In A Factory In Ibadan. / Lecturer Salary Package / See Uniport Last Update On Facebook. A Federal University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by nairalanda1(m): 11:48am On Dec 22, 2023
epainos:

To be honest, lecturers in Nigeria are not good. So, I don't see any reason they should earn more. Could you tell us how significant those 4 publications you have written? Lol. Nigerian publications are worthless. Innovations we are seeing are from publications and papers written by universities and research institutes. So, tell me, how many made-in-Nigeria publications have you heard that CEOs and CTOs make use of? If Nigerian publications aren't used by anyone, it means that they are worthless.

Lecturers teach old stuff here. Lol. Where are the papers they write? Lol. The very few ones performing attached themselves to universities abroad. Go and verify this.

So, why should they earn well? Tell me na. Why? No innovation, no discovery, no significant improvement. They are experts in sleeping with their daughters in schools...sex for grades. Lol.

If I was the president, I would find a way to make them earn less. Lol. angry

And they cannot do the innovation because the amount of money allocated to education as a whole is too poor to make universites upgrade themselves to competitive international standard.

Plus fees are kept low. Too low.

All that adds up. No money for books, latest equipment, etc. ASUU goes on strike, government tells them no money. 2009 agreement is on the rocks.

At the end, it all boils down to one thing. There isn't enough money. You cannot give world class education at one thirtieth the cost. Or less.

Meanwhile, private universites are going to surpass them, because higher sources of income.

1 Like

Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by Jokerman(m): 11:48am On Dec 22, 2023
epainos:

To be honest, lecturers in Nigeria are not good. So, I don't see any reason they should earn more. Could you tell us how significant those 4 publications you have written? Lol. Nigerian publications are worthless. Innovations we are seeing are from publications and papers written by universities and research institutes. So, tell me, how many made-in-Nigeria publications have you heard that CEOs and CTOs make use of? If Nigerian publications aren't used by anyone, it means that they are worthless.

Lecturers teach old stuff here. Lol. Where are the papers they write? Lol. The very few ones performing attached themselves to universities abroad. Go and verify this.

So, why should they earn well? Tell me na. Why? No innovation, no discovery, no significant improvement. They are experts in sleeping with their daughters in schools...sex for grades. Lol.

If I was the president, I would find a way to make them earn less. Lol. cheesy

Tell your government to provide research grants for your lecturers just as how it is obtainable abroad first, and motivate the lecturers financially first.

I don't want to type hear how much I spent in testing materials in Nigeria here alone all by me onesy

6 Likes

Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by airsaylongcome: 11:49am On Dec 22, 2023
Barrywilly:
This is not a bad salary considering the fact that Assistant Lecturership is meant for a fresh graduate with good grade like first class or 2.1. Are you saying 125k is too small for a fresh graduate to start life with? It is not too bad if not renewed shege induced inflation grin

₦125k is roughly $100. That's pittance for a fresh grad

2 Likes

Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by miyagi01(m): 11:49am On Dec 22, 2023
nnamdi640:
You forgot that they receive allowances something most people in private sector don't get. I earn more than them monthly, but with their allowances, I think they are still better than some in private sector, beside their work is stress free
What you saw there is their total take home
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by Dialpad: 11:51am On Dec 22, 2023
Some drivers in private companies earn more than that
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by Jokerman(m): 11:51am On Dec 22, 2023
LOVEGINO:
u and d mod dat took dis sh!t to front page re basta$d. Na who u don epp?

Your wahala never finish, abeg when e go finish?? And na me be government to help your lecturers?

Anything we dey expose Una wickedness, Una no dey like am...
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by epainos: 11:51am On Dec 22, 2023
ExudeLoveToAll:

I know, that is for the Vc and those on his step.

Very pathetic I must say.

How will the younger ones aspire to lecture when the highest you can earn is 400k plus.
Why is it pathetic? Their papers are worthless. If they write outstanding papers, private companies from all over the world will patronize them. The level of the universities here will shoot up also.

See.....since they aren't being useful, they will keep forcing the government to pay them more. There should be a way government removes its hand from sponsoring universities so they wont be able to blackmail them again.

Trust me...universities lecturers are powerful if they know the positions they are holding. But they are mostlt useless.
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by Danielomisco(m): 11:51am On Dec 22, 2023
Greenscientist:

Gone are the days of analog lecturers.

Infact, a lecturing job gives you more exposure, respect than just been a realtor. it all depend on you - How you use the platform.
tell him abeg,oga realtor,u cnt cough where a lecturer will talk..mere agent! humility safes!!!
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by Ameduedwin: 11:51am On Dec 22, 2023
even as a security officer in a bank, I earn more than that, though I am a graduate but I have to opt to that job because na money we the fine, when I was working in a cooperate organisation as a marketer with my certificate my salary was not upto 50k but as a security officer I earn more than 2x of what I earn as a cooperate man, is it not an irony?

3 Likes

Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by Jokerman(m): 11:51am On Dec 22, 2023
luminouz:

All THESE HELP. NOT HELPS... Oga masters and four publications.

Thanks for the correction... Oloyinbo ofo🙄
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by SirLakes: 11:52am On Dec 22, 2023
OlawaleBammie:
they ways know grin grin
Them must know and can never be them grin
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by Jokerman(m): 11:53am On Dec 22, 2023
Yampotatocarrot:

Na una dey ask person wey dey find house to pay 10k for form Abi... Wehdone,no wonder you earn more by just showing people apartments

So I go waka or use my fuel carry you go view apartment for free ni 😂😂😂
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by SirLakes: 11:53am On Dec 22, 2023
Ameduedwin:
even as a security officer in a bank, I earn more than that, though I am a graduate but I have to opt to that job because na money we the fine, when I was working in a cooperate organisation as a marketer with my certificate my salary was not upto 50k but as a security officer I earn more than 2x of what I earn as a cooperate man, is it not an irony?
. which kind security be that, same bank security??
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by nnamdi640: 11:55am On Dec 22, 2023
Auskyd:

Their work is stress free? Omo where did they bring you from
I was once in the system compared to those private schools teachers that take more than one subjects having 32periods in a week, remember a single person is 45mins then do the calculation and compare with those lecturers we are talking about, don't come here to talk blindly.
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by epainos: 11:56am On Dec 22, 2023
Jokerman:

Tell your government to provide research grants for your lecturers just as how it is obtainable abroad first, and motivate the lecturers financially first.

I don't want to type hear how much I spent in testing materials in Nigeria here alone all by me onesy

Did you just say provide research grants? Go and verify again....the few they provided....those guys provided nothing significant.

Guy...grants don't come first. If you do a good job to a reasonable level...then potential investors will tap into it. Your lecturers know where to lock in their papers for grants. Lol.

Bro...you know what? If you thoroughly investigate the trend of what investors want, you spend some of your cash again, and you produce something significant, they will come your way. Your lecturers don't teach you well how to go about it. If you need guidance, talk now. Lol.
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by Ade1177: 11:57am On Dec 22, 2023
Barrywilly:
This is not a bad salary considering the fact that Assistant Lecturership is meant for a fresh graduate with good grade like first class or 2.1. Are you saying 125k is too small for a fresh graduate to start life with? It is not too bad if not renewed shege induced inflation grin
remove 60k for transport in a month

60k for food

What's remaining?
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by nnamdi640: 11:58am On Dec 22, 2023
stasius:

Which allowances?
Make una stop to dey lie! Nigerian workers are poorly renumerated from A to Z. Civil servants are poor!
They can't cope with the situation of things in the current day Nigeria.

You are looking at the summary of a payslip before you and you are talking of allowances. Which allowances oga? The last figure you see there is the Assistant lecturer's take home pay and it is poor!!! Ọsim allowances!
Most federal workers are entitled to allowances, federal university lecturers are not excluded from this. Please make your research about this. Again, I never said they are paid highly and we all know that most Nigeria workers are paid less compared to their fellows in other developed countries.
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by OlawaleBammie: 11:58am On Dec 22, 2023
SirLakes:

Them must know and can never be them grin

No, it can never be them..they are jobless and tattered but they always knows someone in Supreme Court, CBN, Custom, Nimasa...infact they have eyes in almost all agencies grin grin
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by Nlkay(m): 11:59am On Dec 22, 2023
What! America and Europe got to where they are due to investment in their educational sector. There's no way for Africa if they don't do same. Until, we do what's right, we will keep going in circles and remain a laughing stock.
Don't invest in your scientific minds for better research. Don't pay them well and don't pay your armed forces. Those who have escaped the dungeon will be grateful they were able. You spoke trash my friend.
epainos:

If I was the president, I would find a way to make them earn less. Lol. cheesy
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by Jokerman(m): 11:59am On Dec 22, 2023
epainos:

Did you just say provide research grants? Go and verify again....the few they provided....those guys provided nothing significant.

Guy...grants don't come first. If you do a good job to a reasonable level...then potential investors will tap into it. Your lecturers know where to lock in their papers for grants. Lol.

Bro...you know what? If you thoroughly investigate the trend of what investors want, you spend some of your cash again, and you produce something significant, they will come your way. Your lecturers don't teach you well how to go about it. If you need guidance, talk now. Lol.

Lol..my brother... I ain't a lecturer... I'm just pained that people that do so much would earn little compared to many professions in this country... C

Compare both positions in Nigeria and a serious country

2 Likes

Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by Jokerman(m): 12:01pm On Dec 22, 2023
Danielomisco:
tell him abeg,oga realtor,u cnt cough where a lecturer will talk..mere agent! humility safes!!!

Mere agent 🤣🤣🤣.
Funny
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by Unigrad: 12:01pm On Dec 22, 2023
Barrywilly:
Assistant Lecturer position is for those with MSc except department like Medical Laboratory Science, Nursing, Pharmacy, Engineering that starts their first degree graduates with Assistant Lecturer position. Others are Graduate assistant position which is lesser than Assistant Lecturer position.

1 Like

Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by mechoau(m): 12:03pm On Dec 22, 2023
dawnomike:
This is way far lesser than some people's PAYE tax

My tax combined with my NÍ after deduction is 6 times higher than this if converted to naira. Imagine paying between £600-£1100 monthly. I never regret my decision coming here

1 Like

Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by Godseed: 12:03pm On Dec 22, 2023
From many of the comments here from so-called youths, I see why our politicians do evil in broad daylight and get away with it.

Many Nigerians are so ignorant. And yet they are so persuasive in their ignorance.

Keep burying your head in the sand, Nigeria.
A people truly deserves the leaders it gets.
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by SirLakes: 12:04pm On Dec 22, 2023
OlawaleBammie:

No, it can never be them..they are jobless and tattered but they always knows someone in Supreme Court, CBN, Custom, Nimasa...infact they have eyes in almost all agencies grin grin

grin grin
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by edogu(m): 12:05pm On Dec 22, 2023
Testimony1988:
Wow, the salary is very poor, but the salaries of the lecturers was increased of recent, so it will more that that amount.
Government is yet to implement it.
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by Nlkay(m): 12:06pm On Dec 22, 2023
Educational funding and Investment doesn't yield result the way you think. From available facts, those funds you hear don't trickle down to the institutions.
This guy's need to be well paid so they can focus. We can't get it right in Africa this way. We will keep rigmarolling. We need to wake up. Americans don't joke with their educational sector. Research grants didn't pay out even in the first century.
Let's wake up
epainos:

Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by epainos: 12:06pm On Dec 22, 2023
nairalanda1:

And they cannot do the innovation because the amount of money allocated to education as a whole is too poor to make universites upgrade themselves to competitive international standard.
I disagree....the little they gave them, they did nothing. In those days, Nigeria was richer than most of these Asian nations....but guess what... The little cash Malaysia, Thailand, and others have, they used well, especially in a grid in the 80s. Today, we buy seeds from them. Please, tell me na....how much will it cost to produce good seeds for farmers here? Go and verify...they are producing nothing.

Sir, if I were in any agricultural position, I would use my money to do it cos it is not that expensive na. Even....USAID and some organisations still give agricultural lecturers grants. Not to mention that IITA's headquarters is based in Ibadan. Guy... opportunities are plenty. They are olodos! Period.

Plus fees are kept low. Too low.

All that adds up. No money for books, latest equipment, etc. ASUU goes on strike, government tells them no money. 2009 agreement is on the rocks.

At the end, it all boils down to one thing. There isn't enough money. You cannot give world class education at one thirtieth the cost. Or less.

Meanwhile, private universites are going to surpass them, because of higher sources of income.
All the problems you have stated are the result of poor-thinking lecturers. Period.

Universities lecturers aren't supposed to be paid only by the FG na. They should have advanced seriously. Something is wrong with them. They are in a position to create streams of income for themselves. There are too many grants out there they can tap into....The FG is not only their source. They wan kill government?

The Nigerian government is useless....no doubt about it....but Nigerians are definitely more useless.
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by nnamdi640: 12:07pm On Dec 22, 2023
princeSammyz:
Can you please tell us about the allowances? Monthly? What does it cover for? Is it like marking, supervision, health or what? And finally, what is the average for a mid level academic in a Fed uni? Also to be sure, the allowances are not included in the gross pay the op presents here?
Make you own research because I have made mine and I know that most federal workers including federal university lecturers are entitled to allowances which is paid yearly, even some states workers get such from their state government. I know a lady that got a state teaching job, after 6months, apart from here salary, she received her first allowance.
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by Sirchiboy: 12:08pm On Dec 22, 2023
Ameduedwin:
Connect me sir
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by nnamdi640: 12:09pm On Dec 22, 2023
miyagi01:

What you saw there is their total take home
Please make your research, I know that most federal workers, apart from their salaries get paid allowances.
Re: An Assistant Lecturer Salary In A Federal University by nairalanda1(m): 12:10pm On Dec 22, 2023
epainos:

I disagree....the little they gave them, they did nothing. In those days, Nigeria was richer than most of these Asian nations....but guess what... The little cash Malaysia, Thailand, and others have, they used well, especially in a grid in the 80s. Today, we buy seeds from them. Please, tell me na....how much will it cost to produce good seeds for farmers here? Go and verify...they are producing nothing.

Sir, if I were in any agricultural position, I would use my money to do it cos it is not that expensive na. Even....USAID and some organisations still give agricultural lecturers grants. Not to mention that IITA's headquarters is based in Ibadan. Guy... opportunities are plenty. They are olodos! Period.

All the problems you have stated are the result of poor-thinking lecturers. Period.

Universities lecturers aren't supposed to be paid only by the FG na. They should have advanced seriously. Something is wrong with them. They are in a position to create streams of income for themselves. There are too many grants out there they can tap into....The FG is not only their source. They wan kill government?

The Nigerian government is useless....no doubt about it....but Nigerians are definitely more useless.

The problem is the money they do give universities in this country is too tiny for them to live up to your expectations

You are comparing them with Malaysia and Thailand whose universities get ten times or far more than ours. Or even Europe whose education budgets are a ton higher than ours.

At the end, the hard truth is our universities need far more funding than they get right now.

Anyway, the private unis will soon pass the government ones

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Pandemonium In Edo Following Discovery Of Grave Inside Classroom / Meet Engr Dr. Francisca Nwafulugo, Anambra Woman Of The Year, 2020 / ASUU Blames Peter Obi For South East Strike (2010)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.