Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,955 members, 7,828,358 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture (19933 Views)

COVID-19: Bukola Olopade Tests Positive, First Case In Nigerian Sports / How To Break Bad Eating Habits Before Heading Into 2019 / 7 Signs You Are Unhealthy But You Probably Ignore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Natbrowny: 1:29pm On Dec 22, 2023
We don turn Monster and Predator to fanta..

1 Like

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Kutunban: 1:30pm On Dec 22, 2023
Your challenge is basic comprehension. I'll suggest you take a course on it through Alison or Udemy.
easyfem:
In fela kuti voice ' teacher dont teach me nonsense "

Its was when I travel I knew what organic food is , most Nigerian food is organic , I didnt knw the meaning of organic untill I travel out that it's what we eat everyday naija .... we eat better food pass this white folks , I'm still here eaten my naija food u come dey write impolite story as if oyinbo eat good food pass us .... person wey won last go last oga ... its GOD that have everything at hand ... we eat better food pass this western world ... dont get its twisted
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by TUTU147: 1:30pm On Dec 22, 2023
In nigeria we eat natural foods depending on your location,na oyibo dey eat junk.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by MajorOvakporaye(f): 1:38pm On Dec 22, 2023
Useless post!!! Go and price fruits and vegetables in the market and hear the alarming prices. Abi you dey jonz?

2 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by highoctane: 1:44pm On Dec 22, 2023
Nigercity:
You forgot to add
Ndi ofe Manu
Cooking with broom
Should be among
ndi ezii
Tufikwa!

Have you ever enjoyed pure Matcha green tea.
It is usually stirred with soft brush
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Teenaira: 1:44pm On Dec 22, 2023
newoffer:
You go explain tire

After OP has finished explaining this, he should also help us to explain who approved the Naira re-ink, sorry, I mean redesign between Buhari, Tunde Sabiu and Emefiele. This is a matter of public interest, it should therefore be given serious attention.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by ednut1(m): 1:45pm On Dec 22, 2023
JackDaAlienz:
Nigerians eat far more healthy food than Europe and Asia put together.

If we want to buy food
We go to market and buy organic food

If oyingbo want to buy food stuff
They go to shopping mall grin grin

The chicken sold in shopping mall
They inject it with antibiotics and preservative chemicals. To prevent it from spoiling
So the chicken will last longer in the shelf of supermarket.
This chemicals can cause cancer over time.

They buy all sorts of junk food, ice cream, canned food filled with toxic chemicals listed as ingridents and call it enjoyment

Later they will start having cancer
That's why Rich men in Nigeria who embrace western lifestyle get cancer like 5&6

Wetin concern agbero and cancer??
Shey na nkwobi and asun wan give me cancer??
I never see poor man for village get cancer

That's a disease for the rich and high class due to eating junk upon junk and calling it soft life grin grin grin
dey deceive yourself . The turkey and chicken we eat are mostly frozen ones imported from abroad and preserved with same chemical they use to preserve corpse. The beans you eat is preserved with sniper. The fruits are grown with a high amount of dangerous pesticides. Organic my foot

3 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by waice6571: 1:47pm On Dec 22, 2023
faithfull18:

Not exactly true. Most Nigerians eat for sweetness, if that grammar is correct instead of health until an health issue surfaces.

I disagree with you... Check all Nigerian dishes across the board, you'll discover that 90% of our meal are balance diet if you have enough money to finance the full recipe. We have access to fresh veggies and fruits but our poverty index as a people is the reason for the abysmal proportions in our delicacies.

1 Like

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by LordIsaac(m): 1:47pm On Dec 22, 2023
Godsownfc:
In Nigeria, we don't have choice concerning foods because of sapa. We eat anything we see. It's well. Na money to buy small rice and fish for Christmas I dey look for and I never get sef. On God.
And God blesses it. You hardly hear of sugarcane seller down with cancer. Is God not great?
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by hawktamari: 1:48pm On Dec 22, 2023
Better than asia?
JACKY HABBA asia food better oo no try am

By the way shey person dey wey know why I cant collect money from my UBA account. I have like #3k for my account I wan collect #3k to use chop, the atm dey talk say i incufficient fund, i wan also load my fone make i call the thing no gree me?

Which kin UBA online be this na

Abeg how I fit collect money for my account I get money insid na

JackDaAlienz:

If we want to buy food

They inject it with antibiotics and preservative chemicals. To prevent it from spoiling

They buy all sorts of junk food, ice cream, canned food filled with toxic chemicals listed as ingridents and call it enjoyment

That's why Rich men in Nigeria who embrace western lifestyle get cancer like 5&6

That's a disease for the rich and high class due to eating junk upon junk and calling it soft life grin grin grin
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Aaaaarghmed(m): 1:54pm On Dec 22, 2023
Oyibo na dem eat nonsense pass..just that they eat fruits alot than us.the chicken no dey get taste,beans na fake,you go put salt tire before e sweet..fish get one kind plastic for body.infact eating some of our Nigerian foods here,you dont feel that original taste.They feel cloned
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by KanuSE: 1:55pm On Dec 22, 2023
ednut1:
dey deceive yourself . The turkey and chicken we eat are mostly frozen ones imported from abroad and preserved with same chemical they use to preserve corpse. The beans you eat is preserved with sniper. The fruits are grown with a high amount of dangerous pesticides. Organize my foot

@bolded - Can you please reference your claim?

Concerning beans and sniper, I learnt some food traders are notorious for such practice, very dangerous though.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by DREAMHOMES6970(m): 1:57pm On Dec 22, 2023
epainos:

grin
Guy....you are probably living in another Nigeria. Organic? Nartural? grin Ok oooo

It is normal to use this excuse, but you can think of growing your food naturally instead of eating anything you see. Over 90% of the food in Naija = cancer.
Examples please
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Sleekfingers: 1:59pm On Dec 22, 2023
Smithwilliams826:
Where are you from? Is protein and fruits cheap for your side? Na watin go hold our body we dey chop.

No wonder life expectancy in Nigeria is extremely low....

2 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Sleekfingers: 2:02pm On Dec 22, 2023
TUTU147:
In nigeria we eat natural foods depending on your location,na oyibo dey eat junk.

Overcooked natural food. Wey all the nutrients don follow heat go......
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by ednut1(m): 2:14pm On Dec 22, 2023
KanuSE:

@bolded - Can you please reference your claim?

Concerning beans and sniper, I learnt some food traders are notorious for such practice, very dangerous though.
before the advent of sniper it was normal for our beans to have weasels. All of a sudden they disappeared just around the time sniper go popular. Do the maths 🤣
https://www.thecable.ng/nafdac-warns-against-smuggled-frozen-chicken-says-they-contain-formalin/amp#

1 Like

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by jeff1607(m): 2:21pm On Dec 22, 2023
JackDaAlienz:

If we want to buy food

Don't play bro, Asians eat healthier, they live far longer and freshly gotten food isn't far off

2 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Shikena(m): 2:21pm On Dec 22, 2023
That was my thought for several years until I witnessed the production chain across many locations. Some of our people don't have any conscience at all when money is involved.

Dogalmighty17:
Wetin be dis one problem? Our foods are all organic, natural and healthy. Besides right now na to chop any thing wey you see. Na person wey dey comfortable na him dey select.

2 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by epainos: 2:22pm On Dec 22, 2023
DREAMHOMES6970:

Examples please
Use Google right now...you will see that Nigerian beans have been banned in Europe for like 12 years...and Naija is doing nothing about it. Find out for yourself why. When you know that...that exact reason is why all the food in Naija is not good.

2 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by BreakingNews21: 2:32pm On Dec 22, 2023
@Op, excellent thread and health info.
Some are needlessly making distraction posts but they can't argue with the life expectancy statistics.
⬇️

2 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by wonder233: 2:32pm On Dec 22, 2023
Nigerians, not everything is a contest that we start comparing. People are missing the point, the post is about our eating tendencies here and not a contest between African traditional foods vs Western foods.
Yes, we're eating organic here, but too much oil, too much starch, late night heavy foods etc can also be unhealthy.

5 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by SIRTee15: 2:35pm On Dec 22, 2023
JackDaAlienz:

If we want to buy food

All u wrote up there is emotional loyalty with unfounded theories.
Oyinbos consume a lot of vegetables and fruits in the daily diet. They also don't over cook their meals this the nutrients are preserved.

The issue of preservatives in foods is a problem in both naija and abroad.
Most chickens and turkey consumed in Nigeria are from Asia where quality control is poor.
They inject the birds with steroids so they grow faster and use chemicals to preserve them when transporting them to Africa.

Same with rice, wheat and beans. Farmers used dangerous pesticides and chemical fertilizers when planting to ensure increase yield.

Your claim that poor don't have cancer is a lie. They just dont get diagnosed on time and when they do they die very fast since they can't afford the expensive therapy.

5 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Dinieoj(f): 2:52pm On Dec 22, 2023
We still eat better and fresher food than the Western world, they eat direct from the can, almost all their foods are processed food, so let us be.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by AncientAlien(m): 3:07pm On Dec 22, 2023
JackDaAlienz:

If we want to buy food

You are right Comrade but not entirely. Cancer does kill poor too. But how would will have enough data when they don't even have enough money to visit hospital when they are down. Cancer easily kills the paupers because they couldn't fight back tactically and effectively.

1 Like

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by omoadeleye(m): 3:08pm On Dec 22, 2023
JackDaAlienz:

If we want to buy food

If you neva see poor man for village get cancer, then go to any federal teaching hospital to feed your eyes.

3 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Eniolohunda: 3:50pm On Dec 22, 2023
JackDaAlienz:

If we want to buy food

I disagree with your submission. The oyinbos eat mostly leaves, in the name of salad. They have access to fruits and all types of foods because they are cheap. They have organizations monitoring chemicals on food. For instance, a friend in Florida told me, Florida government put caution on Nigerian oloyin beans, there claim was that it contains a chemical that can cause cancer, and we say their own too much. Meanwhile in Nigeria, nobody cares, fruits are even costly, chemicals on foods like beans, ponmo,chicken,to plantain and the list go on.

1 Like

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by sonofthunder: 5:49pm On Dec 22, 2023
GetMeTreated71:
Unhealthy eating habits persist in Nigerian culture due to a blend of traditional practices, modern influences, and socio-economic factors. While Nigerian cuisine is rich in diverse flavors and ingredients, certain dietary patterns contribute to health concerns.

1. High Consumption of Processed Foods: Urbanization and globalization have introduced a surge in processed and fast foods, leading to increased intake of sugar, unhealthy fats, and additives. This shift from traditional, homemade meals to convenient, processed options contributes to health issues like obesity and chronic diseases.

2. Preference for Starchy Foods: Nigerian diets often revolve around starchy staples like rice, yam, and cassava, which, when consumed excessively without adequate portions of vegetables and proteins, may lead to imbalanced nutrition and weight gain.

3. Overreliance on Oil and Fried Foods: Deep-frying and excessive use of palm oil in cooking, though adding flavor, may lead to high caloric intake and adverse effects on cardiovascular health if not moderated.

4. Limited Fruit and Vegetable Intake: Despite the abundance of fresh produce, inadequate consumption of fruits and vegetables is prevalent. This deficiency in essential nutrients and fiber contributes to health issues such as vitamin deficiencies and digestive problems.

Addressing these habits involves promoting education on balanced diets, advocating for increased consumption of fruits and vegetables, and encouraging moderation in consuming processed and oily foods. A cultural shift towards embracing healthier cooking methods and traditional dishes enriched with diverse nutrients can play a pivotal role in fostering healthier eating habits within Nigerian culture.

It's good you helped us identify the problems. Also suggest go solutions to us.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by newoffer: 6:19pm On Dec 22, 2023
We are not normal in this country ..
Teenaira:

After OP has finished explaining this, he should also help us to explain who approved the Naira re-ink, sorry, I mean redesign between Buhari, Tunde Sabiu and Emefiele. This is a matter of public interest, it should therefore be given serious attention.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by geoworldedu: 6:44pm On Dec 22, 2023
JackDaAlienz:

First of all, poor men in village don't have money to go for checkup that will tell them that their ailment is cancer. Secondly i have seen poor people in large number die of cancer.

1 Like

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Smithwilliams826: 6:56pm On Dec 22, 2023
Sleekfingers:

No wonder life expectancy in Nigeria is extremely low....
Probably you're not in Nigeria.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Sleekfingers: 7:14pm On Dec 22, 2023
Smithwilliams826:
Probably you're not in Nigeria.

I am in Nigeria. But I have cut down on eating starchy food. Eat only Amala or tuwo in very small portion once a week. Eat more of vegetables , seafood, dairy products and any beans meals ..... Take lots of fruits.
I cant remember the last time u ate yam. I don't eat rice anymore.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by JackDaAlienz(m): 8:08pm On Dec 22, 2023
ednut1:
dey deceive yourself . The turkey and chicken we eat are mostly frozen ones imported from abroad and preserved with same chemical they use to preserve corpse. The beans you eat is preserved with sniper. The fruits are grown with a high amount of dangerous pesticides. Organic my foot
See this one
Where in village do they sell frozen turkey and chicken Village wey no dey even get light.

Village people buy live chicken and kill it and cook. Dey play

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ekiti Government Commissions Mobile Laboratory To Run COVID-19 Tests / Primary School Pupils Rushed To Hospital After Taking Meal In Katsina / Severe Headache

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.