Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,974 members, 7,814,317 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture (19901 Views)

COVID-19: Bukola Olopade Tests Positive, First Case In Nigerian Sports / How To Break Bad Eating Habits Before Heading Into 2019 / 7 Signs You Are Unhealthy But You Probably Ignore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by GetMeTreated71(m): 10:00am On Dec 22, 2023
Unhealthy eating habits persist in Nigerian culture due to a blend of traditional practices, modern influences, and socio-economic factors. While Nigerian cuisine is rich in diverse flavors and ingredients, certain dietary patterns contribute to health concerns.

1. High Consumption of Processed Foods: Urbanization and globalization have introduced a surge in processed and fast foods, leading to increased intake of sugar, unhealthy fats, and additives. This shift from traditional, homemade meals to convenient, processed options contributes to health issues like obesity and chronic diseases.

2. Preference for Starchy Foods: Nigerian diets often revolve around starchy staples like rice, yam, and cassava, which, when consumed excessively without adequate portions of vegetables and proteins, may lead to imbalanced nutrition and weight gain.

3. Overreliance on Oil and Fried Foods: Deep-frying and excessive use of palm oil in cooking, though adding flavor, may lead to high caloric intake and adverse effects on cardiovascular health if not moderated.

4. Limited Fruit and Vegetable Intake: Despite the abundance of fresh produce, inadequate consumption of fruits and vegetables is prevalent. This deficiency in essential nutrients and fiber contributes to health issues such as vitamin deficiencies and digestive problems.

Addressing these habits involves promoting education on balanced diets, advocating for increased consumption of fruits and vegetables, and encouraging moderation in consuming processed and oily foods. A cultural shift towards embracing healthier cooking methods and traditional dishes enriched with diverse nutrients can play a pivotal role in fostering healthier eating habits within Nigerian culture.

36 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by JackDaAlienz(m): 1:14pm On Dec 22, 2023
Nigerians eat far more healthy food than Europe and Asia put together.

If we want to buy food
We go to market and buy organic food

If oyingbo want to buy food stuff
They go to shopping mall grin grin

The chicken sold in shopping mall
They inject it with antibiotics and preservative chemicals. To prevent it from spoiling
So the chicken will last longer in the shelf of supermarket.
This chemicals can cause cancer over time.

They buy all sorts of junk food, ice cream, canned food filled with toxic chemicals listed as ingridents and call it enjoyment

Later they will start having cancer
That's why Rich men in Nigeria who embrace western lifestyle get cancer like 5&6

Wetin concern agbero and cancer??
Shey na nkwobi and asun wan give me cancer??
I never see poor man for village get cancer

That's a disease for the rich and high class due to eating junk upon junk and calling it soft life grin grin grin

115 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by easyfem(m): 1:14pm On Dec 22, 2023
In fela kuti voice ' teacher dont teach me nonsense "

Its was when I travel I knew what organic food is , most Nigerian food is organic , I didnt knw the meaning of organic untill I travel out that it's what we eat everyday naija .... we eat better food pass this white folks , I'm still here eaten my naija food u come dey write impolite story as if oyinbo eat good food pass us .... person wey won last go last oga ... its GOD that have everything at hand ... we eat better food pass this western world ... dont get its twisted

88 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by SouthSouth1914: 1:14pm On Dec 22, 2023
Nigerians are nomenclature of the government. Both never adhere to anything good but to destroy. Even destroying themselves in the process.

4 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by newoffer: 1:15pm On Dec 22, 2023
You go explain tire

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Ohuhunsulurep: 1:15pm On Dec 22, 2023
Na you sabi o 😀😀😀
As long as abacha, nkwobi and egusi soup is available, i go dey okay

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by symbianDON(m): 1:15pm On Dec 22, 2023
Proteins are very costly in Nigeria....hence the reason for our high starchy food intake.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Mopolchi: 1:16pm On Dec 22, 2023
Not that we prefer starchy foods, but they readily available.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Smithwilliams826: 1:16pm On Dec 22, 2023
Where are you from? Is protein and fruits cheap for your side? Na watin go hold our body we dey chop.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Ijaya123: 1:17pm On Dec 22, 2023
Good observation.

In summary,
Quit consuming processed and packaged foods. They contain additives and preservatives that are bad for your health.

Consume fruits and vegetables daily to balance your diets.

Avoid oily and fried foods to improve your cardiovascular health

My addition, drink lots of water and walk average of 10,000 steps daily.

6 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Tochitee(m): 1:17pm On Dec 22, 2023
K

1 Like

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by faithfull18(f): 1:17pm On Dec 22, 2023
symbianDON:
Proteins are very costly in Nigeria....hence the reason for our high starchy food intake.
Not exactly true. Most Nigerians eat for sweetness, if that grammar is correct instead of health until an health issue surfaces.

3 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Taiwojon(m): 1:17pm On Dec 22, 2023
A
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by wman(m): 1:17pm On Dec 22, 2023
Lol.

We don't have limited fruit and vegetable intake. In fact we consume more fresh veggies and fruits than westerners.

Amd we hardly consume processed foods. Except for maybe some middle class folks and the very rich.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Dogalmighty17: 1:18pm On Dec 22, 2023
Wetin be dis one problem? Our foods are all organic, natural and healthy. Besides right now na to chop any thing wey you see. Na person wey dey comfortable na him dey select.

3 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by money121(m): 1:18pm On Dec 22, 2023
Ok
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Taiwojon(m): 1:20pm On Dec 22, 2023
Matthew 4:4 (KJV) But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Food is good as food Is to the belly
But
The word of God is for the spirit and soul

Why feed your body only and starve your soul and spirit, turn away from your sins and give your life to Jesus.

Jesus save

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Ayinde2000: 1:24pm On Dec 22, 2023
It's in our culture jare. There is very little we can do about it.

1 Like

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by epainos: 1:25pm On Dec 22, 2023
Dogalmighty17:
Wetin be dis one problem?
Our foods are all organic, natural and healthy.
grin
Guy....you are probably living in another Nigeria. Organic? Nartural? grin Ok oooo

Besides right now na to chop any thing wey you see. Na person wey dey comfortable na him dey select.
It is normal to use this excuse, but you can think of growing your food naturally instead of eating anything you see. Over 90% of the food in Naija = cancer.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by maxiuc(m): 1:26pm On Dec 22, 2023
grin
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by tsephanyah(f): 1:26pm On Dec 22, 2023
As if 90% of Nigerians have choices.

3 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by KanuSE: 1:26pm On Dec 22, 2023
Quality education informs our eating habits, but then, majority of Nigerians are not well educated. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by erai30(m): 1:26pm On Dec 22, 2023
My people anything you see eat abeg, even if na for dream sef I see food I dey eat well, drink water. The country is not smiling or do you want us to eat agbado and ewa?

2 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Tulsaguy: 1:27pm On Dec 22, 2023
The only unhealthy habit I can think of right now is this 👇

Just teach dos boys to behave well.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Godsownfc(m): 1:27pm On Dec 22, 2023
In Nigeria, we don't have choice concerning foods because of sapa. We eat anything we see. It's well.

3 Likes

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Pharaoh4rin(m): 1:29pm On Dec 22, 2023
faithfull18:

Not exactly true. Most Nigerians eat for sweetness, if that grammar is correct instead of health until an health issue surfaces.

And that's very true. Truth at infinitum

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by ChronicGp(m): 1:29pm On Dec 22, 2023
Village people no go believe you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Black People With Blue Eyes. The beautiful few / Cure To Pimples / Is Milk Bad For Your Health?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.