Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,430 members, 7,830,153 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture (19935 Views)

COVID-19: Bukola Olopade Tests Positive, First Case In Nigerian Sports / How To Break Bad Eating Habits Before Heading Into 2019 / 7 Signs You Are Unhealthy But You Probably Ignore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Welcomme: 8:37pm On Dec 22, 2023
Trust me, I used to think we don't eat healthy but the truth is, we eat better food than these Europeans most especially the UK where I presently reside. These guys cook absolutely rubbish and tasteless food. Just today, during our lunch break, the shitty pork and undone I was served was nothing to write home about. I couldn't eat. I just left Thier food for them and jejely drank coke.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Codes151(m): 9:12pm On Dec 22, 2023
I NO BLAME YOU...

MAKE WE CHOP BURGER BA?
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Smithwilliams826: 9:15pm On Dec 22, 2023
Sleekfingers:

I am in Nigeria. But I have cut down on eating starchy food. Eat only Amala or tuwo in very small portion once a week. Eat more of vegetables , seafood, dairy products and any beans meals ..... Take lots of fruits.
I cant remember the last time u ate yam. I don't eat rice anymore.
This is it, have you thought of others who can afford dairy products or beans. Most Nigerians focus on what they can afford. No be everybody dey chop balance diet guy. Who no wan chop am, who no get great things to accomplish? But can they afford it? No! That's why their only option now is survival and saving the little they have hoping for a better tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Godsownfc(m): 9:28pm On Dec 22, 2023
LordIsaac:

And God blesses it. You hardly hear of sugarcane seller down with cancer. Is God not great?
Yes o. That's true.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Nicepoker(m): 9:35pm On Dec 22, 2023
JackDaAlienz:
Nigerians eat far more healthy food than Europe and Asia put together.

If we want to buy food
We go to market and buy organic food

If oyingbo want to buy food stuff
They go to shopping mall grin grin

The chicken sold in shopping mall
They inject it with antibiotics and preservative chemicals. To prevent it from spoiling
So the chicken will last longer in the shelf of supermarket.
This chemicals can cause cancer over time.

They buy all sorts of junk food, ice cream, canned food filled with toxic chemicals listed as ingridents and call it enjoyment

Later they will start having cancer
That's why Rich men in Nigeria who embrace western lifestyle get cancer like 5&6

Wetin concern agbero and cancer??
Shey na nkwobi and asun wan give me cancer??
I never see poor man for village get cancer

That's a disease for the rich and high class due to eating junk upon junk and calling it soft life grin grin grin
which market in Nigeria sells organic food. You are deceiving yourself.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Nicepoker(m): 9:37pm On Dec 22, 2023
Dogalmighty17:
Wetin be dis one problem? Our foods are all organic, natural and healthy. Besides right now na to chop any thing wey you see. Na person wey dey comfortable na him dey select.
No local farmer in Nigeria farms organic.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Nicepoker(m): 9:39pm On Dec 22, 2023
KanuSE:

@bolded - Can you please reference your claim?

Concerning beans and sniper, I learnt some food traders are notorious for such practice, very dangerous though.
Farmers uses those dangerous chemicals the most.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by descarado: 9:47pm On Dec 22, 2023
JackDaAlienz:
Nigerians eat far more healthy food than Europe and Asia put together.

I stopped here.

Our problem is ignorance and swimming in ignorance.
You my dear, swim in ignorance.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by descarado: 9:49pm On Dec 22, 2023
ednut1:
dey deceive yourself . The turkey and chicken we eat are mostly frozen ones imported from abroad and preserved with same chemical they use to preserve corpse. The beans you eat is preserved with sniper. The fruits are grown with a high amount of dangerous pesticides. Organic my foot
That was why I said he is swimming in ignorance. No need arguing with such.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by descarado: 9:54pm On Dec 22, 2023
waice6571:

I disagree with you... Check all Nigerian dishes across the board, you'll discover that 90% of our meal are balance diet if you have enough money to finance the full recipe. We have access to fresh veggies and fruits but our poverty index as a people is the reason for the abysmal proportions in our delicacies.

Except village food that are going extinct, no Nigerian food is a balanced meal.

We never learnt what balanced healthy meals are in primary to secondary schools so what we think is balanced is not actually balanced.
You see these two, they are highly unbalanced. I am yet to add the swallow.

Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Sleekfingers: 9:43am On Dec 23, 2023
Smithwilliams826:
This is it, have you thought of others who can afford dairy products or beans. Most Nigerians focus on what they can afford. No be everybody dey chop balance diet guy. Who no wan chop am, who no get great things to accomplish? But can they afford it? No! That's why their only option now is survival and saving the little they have hoping for a better tomorrow.

An average Nigerian has terrible eating habits. By consuming large portions of carbohydrates. Even if they can afford a balanced diet.
So your point doesn't hold any water to me.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Sleekfingers: 9:48am On Dec 23, 2023
descarado:

Except village food that are going extinct, no Nigerian food is a balanced meal.

We never learnt what balanced healthy meals are in primary to secondary schools so what we think is balanced is not actually balanced.
You see these two, they are highly unbalanced. I am yet to add the swallow.

🤣🤣🤣🤣Most Nigerians called it enjoyment. That's how you will see someone in a restaurant eating like 10 wraps of fufu, with lots of meats and over cooked soup/ stew.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by eepeepook: 6:17pm On Dec 23, 2023
Our eating habits were created to counteract the sun’s effects while we carried out menial labour. Now that people abandoned such existence, high blood pressure is claiming average folks. Reduce your portions while living active lifestyles. Swallows are a little less bulking than drinking calories. Your body will thank you years down the line for any exercise indulged in today.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Tendd: 5:57am On Dec 24, 2023
This explains why our life expectancy is very much too low.We need to change our culture to food and general wellbeing.That culture of uncontrolled eating habits has also been carried overseas.For example,more than 70 percent of adult blacks in the UK are fat or living with obesity.It's also similar figures in the USA,where 4 of 5 black female are fat or living with obesity.We also live a sedentary lifestyle.Of the 53.000 participants that ran the New york marathon 2023, only 12 Nigerians took part, the oldest being 45 years.Only 24 ran the London marathon this year.l wonder if a 60 year old Nigerian can run and finish a marathon race.These are no perfect analysis but pointers to our inactive lifestyle and poor Cardiovascular health.Home or abroad,we must start taking our health seriously.
Re: Unhealthy Eating Habits In Nigerian Culture by Kitty79: 5:23pm On Mar 18
Actually, I eat all I want, but I try to balance it with healthier options. Nigerian cuisine is rich and flavorful, but moderation is key. Incorporating more fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins can help counterbalance any potential unhealthy eating habits. If u thought about why u could not loose some weight here https://betterme.world/articles/eating-less-than-1000-calories-a-day-and-not-losing-weight/ u can find an answer.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Experience With Hard Stool. / Primary School Pupils Rushed To Hospital After Taking Meal In Katsina / My Mother Has Fibroid, I Need Solutions To Stop It Permanently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.