Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,586 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA (56165 Views)

Vehicle Offence In UK And Nigeria, LASTMA Example (pics) / Weird Things Nigerians Do In UK And America To Avoid Deportation / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by ednut1(m): 7:01pm On Dec 25, 2023
I drove from canada to usa recently. I saw road signs showing 35 as speed limit. We use KM in Canada naso i begin drive slow, every one was passing me and horning. Before i realized its 35 MPH 😆

11 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Mayhem1: 7:01pm On Dec 25, 2023
Ewedegubbler:
USA people are generally generous while the British are using Ruler to measure their yam before cooking
step on a shoe in the US and you’ll appreciate the Brit’s

7 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by BigDawsNet: 7:02pm On Dec 25, 2023
Loverboi2cute:

Typical Yorúba man

Me kuke nufi?🫣
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Lifeinlight: 7:02pm On Dec 25, 2023
Ashirioluwa:

That’s matter of choice. Some people prefer Naija because they are making it big time here.
even your useless corrupt government are running to those countries on a daily basis. They also have dual citizenship of these countries for themselves and families

Keep decieving yourself jare
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by GboyegaD(m): 7:02pm On Dec 25, 2023
USA is my preferred choice however, of late, I would love to move to the UK because of its closeness to Nigeria.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by SweetDipBenny(m): 7:04pm On Dec 25, 2023
US is far much better, apart from the gun crime. They too love gun..
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Krucifax(m): 7:07pm On Dec 25, 2023
The US has better weather than the UK.
The US has better financial opportunities than the U.K
The US has more jobs than the U.K
The US has better retirement options than the U.K
The US has better investment opportunities than the U.K
The US has more a advanced Health system than the U.K
The US is more technologically advanced than the U.K
The US has more millionaires than the U.K
The US is more religious than the U.K.
16 Countries use the US dollar. 4 Countries use the British Pound
The UK does not have Presidents like the US but Prime Ministers
The U.K still practices ancient monarchy and titles systems (Princes,Lords,Barons,Dukes,Earls etc)
The U.K has a freer health system than the U.S
The U.K has a fairer justice system than the U.S.
The U.K has a better dietary culture than the U.S.
The U.K is more expensive than the U.S.

5 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by frog12: 7:08pm On Dec 25, 2023
is this from that DULL author again
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by GlocusDan: 7:08pm On Dec 25, 2023
[quote author=Whalis post=127623650]UK and not US uses imperial measurements.[correct]

2 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Axis313(m): 7:08pm On Dec 25, 2023
BreconHills:

Good leaders come from good people.
Exactly,God always choose leaders for people according to the characters of the people.

Leaders are also the mirrors of the people they lead,if you want to sample the characters of a set of people,don't stress yourself too much,just look at those who are leading them.

1 Like

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by isArray: 7:09pm On Dec 25, 2023
The USA likes to do things differently from the rest of the world. They call football - soccer, their date format is also different e.t.c.

4 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Lifeinlight: 7:09pm On Dec 25, 2023
ednut1:
study visa or marriage
how is that marriage possible?
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by spiSeyi: 7:10pm On Dec 25, 2023
Nigeria is better than both grin
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by APOPTOSIS: 7:10pm On Dec 25, 2023
Ewedegubbler:
USA people are generally generous while the British are using Ruler to measure their yam before cooking
You just nailed it.
When I was in the UK, I measured everything including my oxygen. 🤣🤣🤣.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by APOPTOSIS: 7:12pm On Dec 25, 2023
Lifeinlight:
Both are possible.
Some clinch the first to get the second.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Af0nja: 7:13pm On Dec 25, 2023
Abid2020:
1. Units of Measurement: The UK employs the metric system, while the US utilizes the imperial system.

2. Spelling: The UK follows British English spelling, whereas the US adheres to American English spelling.

3. Driving: In the UK, driving occurs on the left side of the road, whereas in the US, it's on the right.

4. School Uniforms: It's common for students in the UK to wear uniforms, whereas in the US, it's not as prevalent.

5. Tipping: Tipping is expected in many US service industries, while it's less common in the UK.

6. Day Drinking: In the UK, daytime alcohol consumption is more acceptable than in the US, where it's often associated with negative connotations.

7. Gun Laws: The US has relatively lax gun laws compared to the UK, where firearms are heavily regulated.

8. Taxes: The UK has a higher overall tax rate than the US, but the US has a more complex tax system.

9. Public Transportation: Public transport is more widely used and developed in the UK than in the US.

10. Football vs. Soccer: In the UK, football refers to soccer, while in the US, football refers to American football.

11. Drinking Age: The legal drinking age is 18 in the UK and 21 in the US.

12.Time Zones:The US has multiple time zones, while the UK has only one.

13. Religion: The US is more religiously diverse than the UK.

14. Holidays: The UK celebrates more bank holidays than the US observes federal holidays.

15. Food Portions: Portion sizes tend to be larger in the US than in the UK.

16. Social Class: In the UK, the concept of social class deeply influences people's lives, including their access to education and employment opportunities. In contrast, the US traditionally has a more fluid social class structure, emphasizing individual achievement and meritocracy.

17. Electoral System: The US employs an electoral college, while the UK uses a parliamentary system.

18. Currency: The UK uses the pound sterling, while the US uses the US dollar.

19. Punctuality: Punctuality is highly valued in the UK, while in the US, it's often more relaxed.

20. Politeness: The British are known for their politeness, while Americans are generally seen as more outgoing and friendly.

In the end, which one do you prefer to relocate to? Tell us why in the comments.

In what way is the US religiously more diverse than the UK

2 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by creativehubb: 7:15pm On Dec 25, 2023
Lifeinlight:
even your useless corrupt government are running to those countries on a daily basis. They also have dual citizenship of these countries for themselves and families

Keep decieving yourself jare
Yes, they go there, but they don't relocate and remain there all their life...I don't see much fun in staying put in these countries for years...some might like it though.

1 Like

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by sonnie10: 7:16pm On Dec 25, 2023
Anyone who is healthy and with just secondary school education can make it in the US with little effort and consistency.

As long as you have your papers and keep your ducks in a row.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by ednut1(m): 7:18pm On Dec 25, 2023
Lifeinlight:
like this

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by SALLYBERRY01(m): 7:18pm On Dec 25, 2023
Mcslize:

I would have loved to show you a more better way. But you won't value the assistance I will render you.

But if you really want to, then I will like to ask, what's your budget at the moment? Let's start from there.

Do know that, you don't have to save huge amount of money to make your japa move. But having a good idea of your current budget will be a good starting point.

how much will i need
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by SALLYBERRY01(m): 7:18pm On Dec 25, 2023
ednut1:
study visa or marriage
study route preferabbly
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by ednut1(m): 7:19pm On Dec 25, 2023
SALLYBERRY01:

study route preferabbly
one dollar os above 1k now. You get money for school fees 😆
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by MySolace: 7:20pm On Dec 25, 2023
1MILLIONLiGHTS:
UK, I like their English . So sweet and therapeutic to one's hearing.
E sweet pass broken/Pidgin English?
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by SALLYBERRY01(m): 7:21pm On Dec 25, 2023
ednut1:
one dollar os above 1k now. You get money for school fees 😆

like how much are we talking about
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by ikpumbe(m): 7:21pm On Dec 25, 2023
AMAUCHESKY:
Educative

Addiction will make you look weak and have thought of suicide sometimes,
most times you said I won't do this again 🤓 but less than 48hours you are on it 😭
contact me via my signature, for steps on how to overcome
. I want to learn
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by MemoriesAndMe: 7:22pm On Dec 25, 2023
Whalis:
UK and not US uses imperial measurements.

No, it's the US that uses imperial system -feet, inches, miles, ounces, pounds, fahrenheit etc.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by madjune(m): 7:22pm On Dec 25, 2023
Both countries don't cook egusi soup.

1 Like

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by APOPTOSIS: 7:24pm On Dec 25, 2023
Even the UK knows the United States is an unbeatable and fantastic destination. Please both shouldn't be compared. The job opportunities in America is like a pandemic, both for the educated and uneducated.
Even for those who can't make a sentence in English or Spanish.

1 Like

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by haphizz57(m): 7:25pm On Dec 25, 2023
If u are a strong hustler & u want to make it faster. Just straight to U.S.
U.k is more expensive u ll use half of wateva u are earning to pay tax. Rules & regulations too plenty for u.k
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by UnfairLife7(m): 7:27pm On Dec 25, 2023
ednut1:
like this
interesting

seems US doesn't consider same sex marriage as a means to relocate right? only opposite

I can see Ikoyi, is it a must they get married in Nigeria or they can also do that in the US?
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Akano5(m): 7:27pm On Dec 25, 2023
United State Of America
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by GlocusDan: 7:28pm On Dec 25, 2023
[quote author=Whalis post=127623650]UK and not US uses imperial measurements.[correct]

Correct

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Twitter Japa Advisor Caught Going Against Her Own Advice 2 Years Later / The Dirty Hotel Room I Paid ₦10,000 For A Night - Man Cries Out, Shares Video / Shocking Images Capture Daily Hell Commuters Faces Around The World.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.