Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA (56149 Views)

Vehicle Offence In UK And Nigeria, LASTMA Example (pics) / Weird Things Nigerians Do In UK And America To Avoid Deportation / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by writeprof(m): 9:40pm On Dec 25, 2023
Axis313:
God bless Nigeria with "natural resources",but refused to bless it with "good leaders",while Japan have little or no "natural resources",instead it is "natural disaster" they were plagued with,but He bless them with "good leaders".
All of us can see the results.

Please, today is Christmas. Don't blame GOD for wicked leadership in Nigeria/Africa. GOD did not bless those nations with leaders.

Their leaders are men and women who DECIDED to put the fear of God as their guiding principles in the leadership of their countries. Thus, they ensured a SYSTEM that catered for their people/nations.

Nigeria/Africa political leadership is still steeped in satanic wickedness which is the foundation for selfishness, corruption, and unexplainable craze for acquisitions that are lost to develop other nations of the world.

1 Like

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by donmik: 9:42pm On Dec 25, 2023
A nice thread. Interesting.
U.S o cos I need good freedom of association
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by AIT1(m): 9:47pm On Dec 25, 2023
Abid2020:
1. Units of Measurement: The UK employs the metric system, while the US utilizes the imperial system.

2. Spelling: The UK follows British English spelling, whereas the US adheres to American English spelling.

3. Driving: In the UK, driving occurs on the left side of the road, whereas in the US, it's on the right.

4. School Uniforms: It's common for students in the UK to wear uniforms, whereas in the US, it's not as prevalent.

5. Tipping: Tipping is expected in many US service industries, while it's less common in the UK.

6. Day Drinking: In the UK, daytime alcohol consumption is more acceptable than in the US, where it's often associated with negative connotations.

7. Gun Laws: The US has relatively lax gun laws compared to the UK, where firearms are heavily regulated.

8. Taxes: The UK has a higher overall tax rate than the US, but the US has a more complex tax system.

9. Public Transportation: Public transport is more widely used and developed in the UK than in the US.

10. Football vs. Soccer: In the UK, football refers to soccer, while in the US, football refers to American football.

11. Drinking Age: The legal drinking age is 18 in the UK and 21 in the US.

12.Time Zones:The US has multiple time zones, while the UK has only one.

13. Religion: The US is more religiously diverse than the UK.

14. Holidays: The UK celebrates more bank holidays than the US observes federal holidays.

15. Food Portions: Portion sizes tend to be larger in the US than in the UK.

16. Social Class: In the UK, the concept of social class deeply influences people's lives, including their access to education and employment opportunities. In contrast, the US traditionally has a more fluid social class structure, emphasizing individual achievement and meritocracy.

17. Electoral System: The US employs an electoral college, while the UK uses a parliamentary system.

18. Currency: The UK uses the pound sterling, while the US uses the US dollar.

19. Punctuality: Punctuality is highly valued in the UK, while in the US, it's often more relaxed.

20. Politeness: The British are known for their politeness, while Americans are generally seen as more outgoing and friendly.

In the end, which one do you prefer to relocate to? Tell us why in the comments.

I may not know every other points you raised o BUT I disagree with 19! The United States citizenry keep track of time, Punctuality is their watchword! They don’t joke with it.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Oluwomonext212(m): 10:02pm On Dec 25, 2023
You forget to add medical charges in the US vs UK. It’s almost free or let me say in fact outrightly free in the UK, while u pay ur ass out in the US except u have insurance which reduces ur charges
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Whalis: 10:11pm On Dec 25, 2023
emmybobo1:

Local idiot. Move outside Nigeria and get a life you fatherless wretch
Imbecilic fellow! Where have you been to? Hope U aren't serving a prison term which by default a preoccupation of your people. Just go through others responding to my post you will discover the barbarism in you.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by RALPHOW(m): 10:13pm On Dec 25, 2023
You omitted the most important
System of Government
UK practice Parliament System of Government
USA practise Presidential System of Government

1 Like

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by MrCuteking(m): 10:17pm On Dec 25, 2023
Funny enough, I prefer Lagos to UK.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by olowoba2: 10:22pm On Dec 25, 2023
UnfairLife7:
boss not everyone know or understand that they can apply to study abroad and also be consider for scholarship. Also we all have different stories to tell as regards our grades in school

Anyway, can someone with 4.15 Cgpa be consider for admission and funding?
4.15 is solid, especially if you study a STEM course. You need a good GRE score, solid SOP. You also need to start doing research to target some certain universities and reach out to the profs. If you need guidance, lemme know,
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by olowoba2: 10:23pm On Dec 25, 2023
SALLYBERRY01:

Thank you
Apologies I was too harsh. That’s unfair.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by CJStarz: 10:24pm On Dec 25, 2023
nearline:

No be like dat. Dem dey talk am
like say dem no wan say each word finish. But me I like their accent sha.
Shaa, e good as you like am ,abi how dem dey speak this grammar,one man's son na anoda man's. pikin 😂

1 Like

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Penboy: 10:31pm On Dec 25, 2023
ExudeLoveToAll:

Bigger in what aspect?

I guess landmark....

Everything bro.

Population, economy, GDP, Stock market, number of state, Firearms
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by bigcasava1(m): 10:40pm On Dec 25, 2023
How about their racist mentality
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by akigbemaru: 11:00pm On Dec 25, 2023
APOPTOSIS:
I have lived in both countries.
The United States of America remains the best destination for both the singles and family structured and for any human being on earth including the animals. The US brings out the best in you even when you have nothing to offer. That's the only country on earth you can wear slippers to visit & leave wearing Timberland

The country is structured to make you successful.
The jobs opportunities in America can confuse you for years, as one would be confused where to specialize.
The only country even when you don't have papers you are not embarrassed or castigated, rather you are encouraged to get such. In the United States you rarely fear deportation. You would have committed one of their worst crimes for deportation to be revisited.
I told a friend who came to US on visiting and still had 8 months remaining on his Visa not to relocate to Canada. He was given a temporary stay in Canada and later got deported back to Nigeria. I told him except that you committed any crime, don't you worry about deportation in USA. I wish USA can re-structure its broken immigration laws. I have been living in USA for 17 years and no valid documents and documents by marriage is what I detest most.

USA is arguably the greatest human civilization that will ever be. I have made $79, 000 this year just working at Amazon with no degree required and I don't think I can make that anywhere else in the world.

The US's government requires the employers to pay times 1.5 for any weekly wages after 40 hrs. I make $28.50 per hour and $42.25 per hour after 40 hours but Amazon only allows 60 hours per week unlike other jobs that let you make up to 80 hours per week.

5 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Regex: 11:01pm On Dec 25, 2023
AIT1:

I may not know every other points you raised o BUT I disagree with 19! The United States citizenry keep track of time, Punctuality is their watchword! They don’t joke with it.

Not as much as the UK because the buses are always on time.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by NairaMaster1(m): 11:14pm On Dec 25, 2023
GreatOchuks:
Don't forget, you are more likely to be shot by a kid and sent to meet Dagrin in the US than anywhere else In the World even in Gaza

Go to Gaza nau

1 Like

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by oluwafemim(m): 11:22pm On Dec 25, 2023
Abid2020:
1. Units of Measurement: The UK employs the metric system, while the US utilizes the imperial system.

2. Spelling: The UK follows British English spelling, whereas the US adheres to American English spelling.

3. Driving: In the UK, driving occurs on the left side of the road, whereas in the US, it's on the right.

4. School Uniforms: It's common for students in the UK to wear uniforms, whereas in the US, it's not as prevalent.

5. Tipping: Tipping is expected in many US service industries, while it's less common in the UK.

6. Day Drinking: In the UK, daytime alcohol consumption is more acceptable than in the US, where it's often associated with negative connotations.

7. Gun Laws: The US has relatively lax gun laws compared to the UK, where firearms are heavily regulated.

8. Taxes: The UK has a higher overall tax rate than the US, but the US has a more complex tax system.

9. Public Transportation: Public transport is more widely used and developed in the UK than in the US.

10. Football vs. Soccer: In the UK, football refers to soccer, while in the US, football refers to American football.

14. Holidays: The UK celebrates more bank holidays than the US observes federal holidays.

16. Social Class: In the UK, the concept of social class deeply influences people's lives, including their access to education and employment opportunities. In contrast, the US traditionally has a more fluid social class structure, emphasizing individual achievement and meritocracy.

17. Electoral System: The US employs an electoral college, while the UK uses a parliamentary system.

19. Punctuality: Punctuality is highly valued in the UK, while in the US, it's often more relaxed.

20. Politeness: The British are known for their politeness, while Americans are generally seen as more outgoing and friendly.

In the end, which one do you prefer to relocate to? Tell us why in the comments.
Your number 3 is the other way round
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by kabukabu50(m): 11:26pm On Dec 25, 2023
Ashirioluwa:

I am only telling you the truth: the truth is that some people will not trade Naija for anywhere in the world because they are making it big here in Naija.

Someone like Dangote is not going to trade Naija for anywhere in the world, and the truth is that the guy might not be as successful as this if he had relocated to the US or UK during his youth days. Just saying, I don't know.

I understand there are limited opportunities here in Naija, but some people will still make it big and become super rich.

Dangote this,Dangote that.

Nigeria only has a handful of millionaires that you people worship when 99 percent are suffering and making less than $5 dollars a day.
Okpe.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by ChinemeremFidel: 11:48pm On Dec 25, 2023
mightyhaze:
Gods own Country... grin

But I no plan to relocate sha..maybe my kids or any bright kid I'd want to sponsor...

Sponsor me please..I am a pianist

My name is Fidelis Talented on Facebook, have over 11k followers there
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Ashirioluwa: 11:48pm On Dec 25, 2023
kabukabu50:

Dangote this,Dangote that.

Nigeria only has a handful of millionaires that you people worship when 99 percent are suffering and making less than $5 dollars a day.
Okpe.

You didn't get the point, and I only used Mr. Dangote as an example.

I am not discouraging relocation abroad; I am just saying some people prefer to stay here because they are making it in this country. While others prefer to move abroad because of the limited opportunities available here in Naija.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by kabukabu50(m): 12:24am On Dec 26, 2023
Ashirioluwa:

You didn't get the point, and I only used Mr. Dangote as an example.

I am not discouraging relocation abroad; I am just saying some people prefer to stay here because they are making it in this country. While others prefer to move abroad because of the limited opportunities available here in Naija.

The point is " very few" make it in Nigeria doing legitimate work...the percentage is extremely low.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by MalaikaEH(f): 12:30am On Dec 26, 2023
Abid2020
There's nothing surprising about these differences. They have been there for ages.

1 Like

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Ashirioluwa: 1:04am On Dec 26, 2023
kabukabu50:

The point is " very few" make it in Nigeria doing legitimate work...the percentage is extremely low.

You're correct, and I'm referring to those very few selected ones.

These very few may not wish to leave Nigeria since they are either making money here legally through their business ventures or illegally through dubious means like our politicians or other folks doing shady businesses.

The bottom line is that the majority of our youths are leaving this country because of the limited opportunities available, and we can't blame them for moving elsewhere to look for a better future for themselves and their families.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by NovusHomo(m): 1:04am On Dec 26, 2023
1MILLIONLiGHTS:
UK, I like their English . So sweet and therapeutic to one's hearing.

"Therapeutic"? O ga ju!. Iyen ne da o. grin grin
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by poseidon12: 1:18am On Dec 26, 2023
Lanre1st:
Both countries are able to excel in their different ideologies,

same cannot be said about Nigeria who has employed both ideologies but results is negative,
May God interfere in Nigeria affairs

Nigeria has not copied any system. What we are running is not the American presidential system.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Candreva: 1:18am On Dec 26, 2023
Most sensible talk ever on nairaland.
Lanre1st:
Both countries are able to excel in their different ideologies,

same cannot be said about Nigeria who has employed both ideologies but results is negative,
May God interfere in Nigeria affairs

1 Like

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Mcslize: 1:37am On Dec 26, 2023
SALLYBERRY01:

Computer engineering

I don't really know which of these your educational qualification fit the most. 👇

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by APOPTOSIS: 1:40am On Dec 26, 2023
akigbemaru:

I told a friend who came to US on visiting and still had 8 months remaining on his Visa not to relocate to Canada. He was given a temporary stay in Canada and later got deported back to Nigeria. I told him except that you committed any crime, don't you worry about deportation in USA. I wish USA can re-structure its broken immigration laws. I have been living in USA for 17 years and no valid documents and documents by marriage is what I detest most.

USA is arguably the greatest human civilization that will ever be. I have made $79, 000 this year just working at Amazon with no degree required and I don't think I can make that anywhere else in the world.

The US's government requires the employers to pay times 1.5 for any weekly wages after 40 hrs. I make $28.50 per hour and $42.25 per hour after 40 hours but Amazon only allows 60 hours per week unlike other jobs that let you make up to 80 hours per week.
So you follow for the 13 million people wey we dey look for since.....Hmmmmmm. Make sure you no look for our trouble..., we already know where you dey and that you know right...? 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Anyway stay away from trouble. I pity those wey jump fence, dia matter dey like okro wey dem pour on top smooth rock. Dat's the second greatest sin in the U.S

Just like you put, the United States is just an amazing destination. We just need to reinforce on what its founding fathers did , and that will be fine.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Professor822714: 2:41am On Dec 26, 2023
Phd program: in the usa you have t0 take classes and do a qualifying exam. In the uk ots kust 3 straight years of writing.
Post office boxes: ypu have the royal.mail red boxes usually close by in the uk but in usa you have to go to usps....
Police- each city has ots own force in usa, whilst i gues the uk is smaller so go figure.
Latinos: more of these in the usa.
Health system: no nhs here- medical.and covered California. Out of pocket deductible on the way!
So much more buy nice topic

uote author=Abid2020 post=127586536]1. Units of Measurement: The UK employs the metric system, while the US utilizes the imperial system.

In the end, which one do you prefer to relocate to? Tell us why in the comments.[/quote]
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Professor822714: 2:45am On Dec 26, 2023
Fr÷ but waiting times are crazy for urgent cases
Oluwomonext212:
You forget to add medical charges in the US vs UK. It’s almost free or let me say in fact outrightly free in the UK, while u pay ur ass out in the US except u have insurance which reduces ur charges
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by AIT1(m): 3:17am On Dec 26, 2023
Regex:

Not as much as the UK because the buses are always on time.

My own definition of punctuality is having a meeting or appointment with someone. If an American tells you we will meet by 10:00am, I swear the person will not get to the meeting ground 10:01am even if he/she will drive for 2 hours to the venue.

I have never seen an American that will give you an appointment and appear late, it can never happen. If the person won’t make it, he would have sent you message ahead of time for you guys to reschedule.

4 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by SALLYBERRY01(m): 3:35am On Dec 26, 2023
olowoba2:

Apologies I was too harsh. That’s unfair.

you were too harsh honestly but it is what it is?

no offense taken, i did my best

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Dirty Hotel Room I Paid ₦10,000 For A Night - Man Cries Out, Shares Video / Twitter Japa Advisor Caught Going Against Her Own Advice 2 Years Later / Shocking Images Capture Daily Hell Commuters Faces Around The World.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.