Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,148 members, 7,815,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA (56135 Views)

Vehicle Offence In UK And Nigeria, LASTMA Example (pics) / Weird Things Nigerians Do In UK And America To Avoid Deportation / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by SALLYBERRY01(m): 3:37am On Dec 26, 2023
Mcslize:

I don't really know which of these your educational qualification fit the most. 👇

i offered the three courses as a course during my undergraduate, my course is a combination of electronics and computer engineering
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Abid2020(m): 4:02am On Dec 26, 2023
TheDemola:

No 10 is wrong. Football is football in UK while US calls it soccer. American football is a completely different sport, like rugby. American football is also called gidiron football with its major competition known as superbowl
English is not hard read again and understand what it implies

1 Like

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Jewessgratitud3: 4:31am On Dec 26, 2023
APOPTOSIS:
I have lived in both countries.
The United States of America remains the best destination for both the singles and family structured and for any human being on earth including the animals. The US brings out the best in you even when you have nothing to offer. That's the only country on earth you can wear slippers to visit & leave wearing Timberland

The country is structured to make you successful.
The jobs opportunities in America can confuse you for years, as one would be confused where to specialize.
The only country even when you don't have papers you are not embarrassed or castigated, rather you are encouraged to get such. In the United States you rarely fear deportation. You would have committed one of their worst crimes for deportation to be revisited.

Bros which areas are safe in America because I heard security is very poor there.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by ExudeLoveToAll: 4:42am On Dec 26, 2023
Penboy:

Everything bro.

Population, economy, GDP, Stock market, number of state, Firearms

He said 40times, US is bigger in everything but not bigger in some indices by 40times that's why I wanted him to clarify but you still went further in that line.

Example is the economy you stated, US economy is not 40times bigger than the UK if it is the US GDP will be worth approximately 120 trillion dollars but it's actually between 25 to 30 trillion dollars.

Same as other indices you stipulate, don't just rush to comment, always read to enrich previous comments.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Regex: 4:54am On Dec 26, 2023
AIT1:

My own definition of punctuality is having a meeting or appointment with someone. If an American tells you we will meet by 10:00am, I swear the person will not get to the meeting ground 10:01am even if he/she will drive for 2 hours to the venue.

I have never seen an American that will give you an appointment and appear late, it can never happen. If the person would make it, he would have sent you message ahead of time for you guys reschedule.

That one, I believe you cause I have met quite a lot of Americans and they are punctual.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Amayabor1: 5:06am On Dec 26, 2023
thatigboman:
the post didn't say the US practices Presidential system, against UK parliamentary system

Oh. That's true. You are right.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Hotice085: 5:11am On Dec 26, 2023
JAPAHTML:
California USA cool

Sure LGBTQ and woke candidate loading
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Mcslize: 5:20am On Dec 26, 2023
SALLYBERRY01:

i offered the three courses as a course during my undergraduate, my course is a combination of electronics and computer engineering

Ok. That's good then. We are getting there. Out of all the courses you offered, how many percentage was electronics? Did you do a handful of electronics courses or more of computer?

I need an answer for the bolded. Also, check the attached photos if the description below fit some of the courses you did for electronics.

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by imagrg(m): 5:42am On Dec 26, 2023
No place like home....Anytime, any day!
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by UnfairLife7(m): 6:30am On Dec 26, 2023
olowoba2:

4.15 is solid, especially if you study a STEM course. You need a good GRE score, solid SOP. You also need to start doing research to target some certain universities and reach out to the profs. If you need guidance, lemme know,
Yes sir. I wouldn't mind if you could be of help. Thank you sir.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by SALLYBERRY01(m): 7:54am On Dec 26, 2023
Mcslize:

Ok. That's good then. We are getting there. Out of all the courses you offered, how many percentage was electronics? Did you do a handful of electronics courses or more of computer?

I need an answer for the bolded. Also, check the attached photos if the description below fit some of the courses you did for electronics.

Electronics has the higher percentage.

in the picture attached most f the electronics course i offered was related to it.

few i could remember are;
digital electronics
analog electronics
computer architecture and some others i could not remember at the moment.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Penboy: 8:10am On Dec 26, 2023
ExudeLoveToAll:

He said 40times, US is bigger in everything but not bigger in some indices by 40times that's why I wanted him to clarify but you still went further in that line.

Example is the economy you stated, US economy is not 40times bigger than the UK if it is the US GDP will be worth approximately 140 billion dollars but it's actually between 25 to 30 billion dollars.

Same as other indices you stipulate, don't just rush to comment, always read to enrich previous comments.
40 times was a hyperbole

You're smarter than that.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by ExudeLoveToAll: 9:01am On Dec 26, 2023
Penboy:
40 times was a hyperbole

You're smarter than that.

I reserve my comment. Peace
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Mcslize: 9:04am On Dec 26, 2023
SALLYBERRY01:

Electronics has the higher percentage.

in the picture attached most f the electronics course i offered was related to it.

few i could remember are;
digital electronics
analog electronics
computer architecture and some others i could not remember at the moment.

Ok. That's good then. You will assess your qualification as an Electronics Engineer. This is purely Australia skilled migration for professionals.

To start the process, do well to follow this thread and read the first 20 pages to have a good understanding of the whole process:

https://www.nairaland.com/4478747/diy-guide-australian-permanent-resident
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Oluwomonext212(m): 9:20am On Dec 26, 2023
It depends, if you call 911 u are probably calling for an advice lol. If you need an urgent service or response call 999 and don’t talk as if you are fine, let them know u or someone is dying at so so so address. In few minutes them go pack themselves come lol, and u no go pay sisi. Hardly you see UK people getting gotundme cux they get almost the treatment free, even in worst cases like heart transplant.
Professor822714:
Fr÷ but waiting times are crazy for urgent cases
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by internationalman(m): 9:28am On Dec 26, 2023
ExudeLoveToAll:

Example is the economy you stated, US economy is not 40times bigger than the UK if it is the US GDP will be worth approximately 140 billion dollars but it's actually between 25 to 30 billion dollars.

Trillion dollars you meant?
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by TheDemola: 9:51am On Dec 26, 2023
Abid2020:
English is not hard read again and understand what it implies

I agree English is not hard, so I have read it again and helped you highlight what you wrote compared to what I wrote for your reading pleasure. Ire o!

Abid2020:
10. Football vs. Soccer: In the UK, football refers to soccer, while in the US, football refers to American football.

No 10 is wrong. Football is football in UK while US calls it soccer. American football is a completely different sport, like rugby. American football is also called gidiron football with its major competition known as superbowl

2 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by EmperorCaesar(m): 10:03am On Dec 26, 2023
GreatOchuks:
Don't forget, you are more likely to be shot by a kid and sent to meet Dagrin in the US than anywhere else In the World even in Gaza

U must be a fan of Dagrin
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by EmperorCaesar(m): 10:05am On Dec 26, 2023
Lanre1st:
Both countries are able to excel in their different ideologies,

same cannot be said about Nigeria who has employed both ideologies but results is negative,
May God interfere in Nigeria affairs

One was never colonized,one gained her independence in 1776

Nigeria independence is barely 63

No be everything be comparison
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by F117nighthawk: 10:07am On Dec 26, 2023
Whalis:
UK and not US uses imperial measurements.
The tow countries both use imperial system of measurement
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Whalis: 10:16am On Dec 26, 2023
F117nighthawk:

The tow countries both use imperial system of measurement
Ok
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by toba1909(m): 10:17am On Dec 26, 2023
Abid2020:
1. Units of Measurement: The UK employs the metric system, while the US utilizes the imperial system.

2. Spelling: The UK follows British English spelling, whereas the US adheres to American English spelling.

3. Driving: In the UK, driving occurs on the left side of the road, whereas in the US, it's on the right.

4. School Uniforms: It's common for students in the UK to wear uniforms, whereas in the US, it's not as prevalent.

5. Tipping: Tipping is expected in many US service industries, while it's less common in the UK.

6. Day Drinking: In the UK, daytime alcohol consumption is more acceptable than in the US, where it's often associated with negative connotations.

7. Gun Laws: The US has relatively lax gun laws compared to the UK, where firearms are heavily regulated.

8. Taxes: The UK has a higher overall tax rate than the US, but the US has a more complex tax system.

9. Public Transportation: Public transport is more widely used and developed in the UK than in the US.

10. Football vs. Soccer: In the UK, football refers to soccer, while in the US, football refers to American football.

11. Drinking Age: The legal drinking age is 18 in the UK and 21 in the US.

12.Time Zones:The US has multiple time zones, while the UK has only one.

13. Religion: The US is more religiously diverse than the UK.

14. Holidays: The UK celebrates more bank holidays than the US observes federal holidays.

15. Food Portions: Portion sizes tend to be larger in the US than in the UK.

16. Social Class: In the UK, the concept of social class deeply influences people's lives, including their access to education and employment opportunities. In contrast, the US traditionally has a more fluid social class structure, emphasizing individual achievement and meritocracy.

17. Electoral System: The US employs an electoral college, while the UK uses a parliamentary system.

18. Currency: The UK uses the pound sterling, while the US uses the US dollar.

19. Punctuality: Punctuality is highly valued in the UK, while in the US, it's often more relaxed.

20. Politeness: The British are known for their politeness, while Americans are generally seen as more outgoing and friendly.

In the end, which one do you prefer to relocate to? Tell us why in the comments.

I think you meant to say UK drives from the right while US drives from the left.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by ExudeLoveToAll: 10:25am On Dec 26, 2023
internationalman:

Trillion dollars you meant?

Yeah trillion dollars
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Indigbo: 10:32am On Dec 26, 2023
I can never live in any of the two countries except for vacations. The only country I am going to live all my life, have my children, great grandchildren, have peace, have everything in peace for free for me and my children for life is IRELAND.
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Lanre1st(m): 10:49am On Dec 26, 2023
EmperorCaesar:

One was never colonized,one gained her independence in 1776

Nigeria independence is barely 63

No be everything be comparison

Nigeria just got independent in 1960, does not justify its lingering growth and development. When did South Africa got their own independent, can you say the same.

I'm not try to compare, but Nigeria has not got basic elements for growth and development right.

Nigeria has used both systems or (sometimes combined)not working.

1 Like

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Imnaknus: 11:19am On Dec 26, 2023
Lol. The UK politeness you mentioned is the "oju aye" kind. Iykyk

2 Likes

Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by lastkingsman: 12:11pm On Dec 26, 2023
ednut1:
one dollar os above 1k now. You get money for school fees 😆

Scholarship dey for am na
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by lastkingsman: 12:12pm On Dec 26, 2023
ednut1:
like this

Escaping poverty at all cost is a welcome development cheesy
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by lastkingsman: 12:14pm On Dec 26, 2023
ednut1:
study visa or marriage

Abeg I need sure marriage link with one of my sisters in US named Shanice
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by lastkingsman: 12:14pm On Dec 26, 2023
ednut1:
study visa or marriage

Abeg I need sure marriage link with one of my sisters in US named Shanice grin
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by lastkingsman: 12:16pm On Dec 26, 2023
Regex:

United Kingdom is my country of preference between the two.

US it's for me
Re: 20 Surprising Differences Between The UK And The USA by Karlifate: 1:03pm On Dec 26, 2023
Nigerians are used to lawlessness, hence will prefer US of A.

UK atmosphere will be too strict for Nigerians. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Dirty Hotel Room I Paid ₦10,000 For A Night - Man Cries Out, Shares Video / Twitter Japa Advisor Caught Going Against Her Own Advice 2 Years Later / Shocking Images Capture Daily Hell Commuters Faces Around The World.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.