Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,264 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra (10522 Views)

Commuters Stranded As Flood Takes Over Obafemi Awolowo Way In Ikeja, Lagos / Commuters Stranded As Flood Splits Road Into Two In Bayelsa / Zamfara, Bauchi, Ekiti Residents Paid Highest Transport Fares In February — NBS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by adenigga(m): 11:02pm On Dec 24, 2023

Thousands of commuters travelling to South-East states for the Yuletide were stranded at various motor parks in Anambra State on Sunday as transportation fares soared as high as over 200 per cent.

Defending their action, the transport operators who spoke to our correspondent in separate interviews revealed that the development was occasioned by the sharp hike in the price of Premium Motor Spirit, otherwise known as petrol, and the surge in the number of travellers at the various motor parks.

Our correspondent gathered that most petrol stations in the major cities of Onitsha, Nnewi, and Awka, although they displayed N680 as their pump price, sold the product to customers at between N750 and N1,000 per litre in some cases, depending on the location.

The development was said to have been caused by the expected increase in the number of customers at the petrol stations, occasioned by the Yuletide period.

The increase in transportation fares also affected both interstate and intra-state commuters.

For instance, on Sunday, at the Ezeiweka Motor Park in Onitsha, vehicles going to Aba were made to pay as much as N6,000 as against N2,500, while those going to Port Harcourt charged N7,000 as against N3,000 initially.

Also, at the Lagos and Asaba parks in Upper Iweka, Onitsha, vehicles going to Enugu charged as much as N5,000 as against N2,000, while those going to Owerri charged N3,500 as against N1,800, among others.

The situation was the same at major motor parks in Awka, Nnewi, and Ekwulobia, as most commuters remained stranded while some others muscled their way to board the buses to their various destinations.
Í
Commuters going to their various destinations within the communities also paid more, while those who could not afford the sudden increase were seen trekking to their various destinations.

This is just as most transport operators who spoke to our correspondent in separate interviews denied any knowledge of the 50 per cent slash in the price of transportation by the Federal Government.

The Federal Government announced a 50 per cent slash in the price of transportation from December 24, 2023, to January 4, 2024, to ease the burden on commuters.

Reacting to the development, one of the commercial transport operators at the Goodness and Mercy Motor Park in Upper Iweka, Onitsha, who identified himself as Chukwudi, said, “The increase in the fares is expected because we no longer buy petrol the same price we were buying it before. Now, the filling stations display the official price of N680 per litre on their pump, but we buy it for as high as N950 per litre.

“There are times we buy it up to N1,000 depending on the location and the time of the day. It has not been easy for us too. I am just praying for this Yuletide period to be over so that prices of things will return to normal. The suffering is just too much.

“We are not aware of the Federal Government’s 50 per cent reduction in the price of transportation, and there is no sign and impact as the fares keep increasing, and it’s not our fault. We have no choice but to increase the fares because of the situation at the moment. The Federal Government should extend their 50 per cent slash to all the motor parks and transporters at the park for the masses to feel the impact.”

A commuter at the Triangle in Nnewi, Grace Acho, said, “This suffering is just too much. I am travelling to Enugu and I am asked to pay almost N7,000 as against N2,500 just because this is the Yuletide period.

“I don’t know why our people always do this during the Yuletide. Christmas is a big celebration in the South-East and acts like this from the transport operators don’t go well for us. The South-East transporters should take a cue from their Northern counterparts who do not increase their fares during their own celebrations.”

Source: https://punchng.com/Commuters-stranded-as-motorists-hike-fares-in-Anambra

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by LeoDeKing: 11:05pm On Dec 24, 2023
Fuel is sold 670 here in Lagos and at most 700 in other parts of the country.

But same Fuel is sold 1000 in Anambra.

I think we should blame MC Oluomo for this.

89 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by iwaeda: 11:07pm On Dec 24, 2023
adenigga:

Thousands of commuters travelling to South-East states for the Yuletide were stranded at various motor parks in Anambra State on Sunday as transportation fares soared as high as over 200 per cent.

Defending their action, the transport operators who spoke to our correspondent in separate interviews revealed that the development was occasioned by the sharp hike in the price of Premium Motor Spirit, otherwise known as petrol, and the surge in the number of travellers at the various motor parks.

Our correspondent gathered that most petrol stations in the major cities of Onitsha, Nnewi, and Awka, although they displayed N680 as their pump price, sold the product to customers at between N750 and N1,000 per litre in some cases, depending on the location.

The development was said to have been caused by the expected increase in the number of customers at the petrol stations, occasioned by the Yuletide period.

The increase in transportation fares also affected both interstate and intra-state commuters.

For instance, on Sunday, at the Ezeiweka Motor Park in Onitsha, vehicles going to Aba were made to pay as much as N6,000 as against N2,500, while those going to Port Harcourt charged N7,000 as against N3,000 initially.

Also, at the Lagos and Asaba parks in Upper Iweka, Onitsha, vehicles going to Enugu charged as much as N5,000 as against N2,000, while those going to Owerri charged N3,500 as against N1,800, among others.

The situation was the same at major motor parks in Awka, Nnewi, and Ekwulobia, as most commuters remained stranded while some others muscled their way to board the buses to their various destinations.
Í
Commuters going to their various destinations within the communities also paid more, while those who could not afford the sudden increase were seen trekking to their various destinations.

This is just as most transport operators who spoke to our correspondent in separate interviews denied any knowledge of the 50 per cent slash in the price of transportation by the Federal Government.

The Federal Government announced a 50 per cent slash in the price of transportation from December 24, 2023, to January 4, 2024, to ease the burden on commuters.

Reacting to the development, one of the commercial transport operators at the Goodness and Mercy Motor Park in Upper Iweka, Onitsha, who identified himself as Chukwudi, said, “The increase in the fares is expected because we no longer buy petrol the same price we were buying it before. Now, the filling stations display the official price of N680 per litre on their pump, but we buy it for as high as N950 per litre.

“There are times we buy it up to N1,000 depending on the location and the time of the day. It has not been easy for us too. I am just praying for this Yuletide period to be over so that prices of things will return to normal. The suffering is just too much.

“We are not aware of the Federal Government’s 50 per cent reduction in the price of transportation, and there is no sign and impact as the fares keep increasing, and it’s not our fault. We have no choice but to increase the fares because of the situation at the moment. The Federal Government should extend their 50 per cent slash to all the motor parks and transporters at the park for the masses to feel the impact.”

A commuter at the Triangle in Nnewi, Grace Acho, said, “This suffering is just too much. I am travelling to Enugu and I am asked to pay almost N7,000 as against N2,500 just because this is the Yuletide period.

“I don’t know why our people always do this during the Yuletide. Christmas is a big celebration in the South-East and acts like this from the transport operators don’t go well for us. The South-East transporters should take a cue from their Northern counterparts who do not increase their fares during their own celebrations.”

Source: https://punchng.com/Commuters-stranded-as-motorists-hike-fares-in-Anambra

They did not get Tinubu last 50% reduction. grin grin grin angry

13 Likes

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by God1000(m): 11:08pm On Dec 24, 2023
This is not the right time to travel

14 Likes

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by dominic17: 11:11pm On Dec 24, 2023
I see ade as the OP I am wondering what's his intentions of making this post

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by LeoDeKing: 11:13pm On Dec 24, 2023
dominic17:
Forget his intention first.

Are commuters stranded in Anambra because of fuel hike?

65 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by gistray: 11:14pm On Dec 24, 2023
LeoDeKing:

M

I bought fuel N670 in Akwa this morning

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by onumadu: 11:18pm On Dec 24, 2023
dominic17:

The intention is predictable: to put a negative spin on the news.
What he posted is called market forces at work. The phenomenon is not new. It is seasonal thing.
The people he termed "stranded" will still travel to their various destinations after bargaining prices with the commuters.
Nobody will sleep at the parks. Quote me.
But Ronu oafs are already drooling because of the news.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by Onebabe(f): 11:23pm On Dec 24, 2023
I thought everyone in that city is a billionaire.
Why can't they pay

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by dominic17: 4:33am On Dec 25, 2023
God pass them
onumadu:

The intention is predictable: to put a negative spin on the news.
What he posted is called market forces at work. The phenomenon is not new. It is seasonal thing.
The people he termed "stranded" will still travel to their various destinations after bargaining prices with the commuters.
Nobody will sleep at the parks. Quote me.
But Ronu oafs are already drooling because of the news.

3 Likes

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by Atarakpa: 5:51am On Dec 25, 2023
Transporters in the east are criminals

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by Curious345: 5:51am On Dec 25, 2023
Richest state in Nigeria ..

Anambra is blessed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by Sonnobax15(m): 5:51am On Dec 25, 2023
cool
Not only in Anambra......Na everywhere problem be that ....

But na today own go worst pass cuz I just dey pity and imagine how people go take trek today......

As for me,no keke package today,cuz I wan take today take rest my nerves.....After all,it hasn't been an easy hustling right from last year till this very moment cool.

Every passenger should put that at the back of his/her mind..That today na trekking galore cheesy. That your shoe must change formation today cheesy.

#Passengers/lives/matters
#No passengers,no SONN OBAX cool

I love every passenger out there who has contributed to the success to every transporter out there cool

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by marhoinspire: 5:52am On Dec 25, 2023
Not as it seems, cost of transportation is on the average here in Anambra.

6 Likes

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by Millimann: 5:53am On Dec 25, 2023
K
Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by gasparpisciotta: 5:55am On Dec 25, 2023
Taking advantage of every situation as usual.

After paying 50% fare discount from Lagos/Abuja, they are being ripped open by jerking fares up to 200% at their destinations

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by Nackzy: 5:55am On Dec 25, 2023
Na normal thing for this country
Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by bro4u: 5:56am On Dec 25, 2023
They have money to board flights but can't afford cars/buses?

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by okomile(f): 5:56am On Dec 25, 2023
Stay in your house!

Nigeria of 2023 id different from Nigeria 1999
angry

Make we all dey chop our corn in peace

Who cook rice and chicken?

grin grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by Otulented: 5:57am On Dec 25, 2023
Na my fellow igbo peoples pattern

5 Likes

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by Kam2021: 5:57am On Dec 25, 2023
If you don't have money, better stay in your place of residence

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by sparko1(m): 6:01am On Dec 25, 2023
LeoDeKing:

Fuel is 568 in Lagos, but 100 litres yesterday.

Are you sure it's 1000 over there, that is ridiculous.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by ElohimShenRa(m): 6:07am On Dec 25, 2023
Atarakpa:
Transporters in the east are criminals

Haba! They cannot be criminals naa. Shebi all of you are Billionaires from that side; besides they are only following the commandments of Shuku Shuku Alabama.

Abi na fulani herdsmen & Yoruba people dey do transportation for Anambra?

Leave your people, they cannot be stranded. Shuku Shuku Alabama will send them “Helocopter” to carry them to their destinations since they’re the descendants of the Jews.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by rahmontech(m): 6:08am On Dec 25, 2023
Bought fuel 600/ltr yesterday o.. i no know where una dey pay 700

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by money121(m): 6:14am On Dec 25, 2023
Lobatan
Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by Bigkoko: 6:15am On Dec 25, 2023
What people failed to realize is that Igbos & Alaigbo economy is driven by Market Forces....

Palliatives don't work there. Govt intervention don't work there. What works is Full capitalism. If there's a demand, a supplier will emerge. If there's short supply, prices will hike.

There's nothing anyone can do, and Govt is not expected to do anything than create a conducive environment for business. People are not expected to complain but plan their routine well.

I know of friends who buy cheap tickets in Feb at $70for flying in Dec because same ticket would be sold at above $300 during the yuletide period.

Compare flying to Kano & Enugu/Anambra. There's a price gap of more than 100k. More demands for flight tickets to Enugu than suppliers.

Compare traveling to Jos & Abakiliki. There's a price gap of more than 15k. More demands for traveling to Abakiliki than suppliers.

These are the things that motivate people in Alaigbo to set up businesses. The alure of profits.

Understand these things well, before wishing the Igbos to be like other regions. Let the market Forces determine what goes, not one big man seated somewhere!

4 Likes

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by Alpharey: 6:25am On Dec 25, 2023
LeoDeKing:

Forget his intention first.

Are commuters stranded in Anambra because of fuel hike?

Fuel hike caused by Tinubu.

2 Likes

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by Bigkoko: 6:29am On Dec 25, 2023
If not for all kinds of useless alliance and protection they give each other, what a useful leader should do in curbing hikes is very simple:

Fuel: Grant more import license to petrol importers. Grant more license for local refinery. When local refinery come onboard, do not stop importers, but introduce a special import tax for Petro that would be used to finance health care or school upgrade. Well, that's if one of their proteges don't cart away the accrues. Na you go decide whether you want be importer or local refiner... grin angry grin grin

Food: Establish 1000 group farms in all regions of the country and grant quick credit to each farm. The pay back would be in agric harvest of the farms. Set a target and price buy back cap for the products. During harvest Deploy these useless civil servants sitting all day long doing nothing in the office, to metre and sell the harvest at market and remit the FG proceeds to a special Account, while the farm coop get their part. But this will not let them do because na their cronies full office. If you employ your crony, there's a limit to what you can tell him or her to do. But if you employ just anyone from just anywhere, you go give am task. They have no option than to get the job done. The secret of Western govts.

Within four years, fuel will stabilize while food sufficiency will escalate. Guess what? This is what you Will see as improvement of the economy.

Don't you know these monies so far spent on cars, traveling to COP28 Dubai, Yatch, could have at least started off these Impact policies?

This is part of the mantra LP candidate was coming to implement. And formed a special draft made by the MD/CEO of Bigkoko Group Inc.
Sorry HE Peter Obi, had to let out some strategies! This Asiwaju fit kuku mumu pass Buhari! grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by Alpharey: 6:29am On Dec 25, 2023
gasparpisciotta:
Taking advantage of every situation as usual.

After paying 50% fare discount from Lagos/Abuja, they are being ripped open by jerking fares up to 200% at their destinations

Who and who were paid for. Story

1 Like

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by Alpharey: 6:31am On Dec 25, 2023
LeoDeKing:

APC and their pattern, looking for who to blame. Yes I blame Tinubu. How much was fuel before the idiat was selected

4 Likes

Re: Commuters Stranded As Motorists Hike Fares In Anambra by CJStarz: 6:34am On Dec 25, 2023
How much were you paid for this rubbish?
Ezeiweka indeed!
U dey inside your bush toilet for Ogbomosho dey type lies and gibberish.
Na today cost of transportation rise?
No, from Lagos to Onitsha now na 8,000 ba?
Complete mumu plus Olodo plus tribal bigot

adenigga:

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Stops Nigeria From Having A Diversity Visa Lottery Program? / Is My Waec Result My High School Transcript? / Commercial Flights To Begin At Anambra Airport On October 30

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.