Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,152 members, 7,815,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others (1225 Views)

FG To Abolish Petrol Subsidy Before May 29, Attributes Delay To Election, Census / Army Raids Imo Communities, Arrests Youths, Residents Over IPOB, ESN Membership / BBNaija: CLO Tells Buhari To Abolish Big Brother Naija Reality TV Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by lexylaw40kuti: 8:45am On Dec 25, 2023
Guardian NigeriaDec 25, 2023 4:20 AM

As human rights activists and organisations intensify efforts to abolish Osu, Ohu, Ume and Diala caste systems in the South East, two other Imo State communities, Amurie Omanze and Oboro Amurie, in Isu Local Council of the state, have set January 4, 2024, to abolish these caste systems.

Osu caste systems.Photo:Daybreak Nigeria
As human rights activists and organisations intensify efforts to abolish Osu, Ohu, Ume and Diala caste systems in the South East, two other Imo State communities, Amurie Omanze and Oboro Amurie, in Isu Local Council of the state, have set January 4, 2024, to abolish these caste systems.

A statement by the Executive Director of Pillars of Hope Africa Initiative (POHAI), Chinyere Oge-Kalu, said that the abolishment of these caste systems in the two communities was a fruit of years of advocacy by the National Human Rights Commission, POHAI, G’naira Family Foundation (GFF) and Kemdi Chino Opera Foundation (KCOF).

She expressed confidence that more communities, the entire Imo State and Igbo land will soon abolish these reprehensible caste systems, which dehumanises fellow compatriots as slaves/outcastes.

Oge-Kalu commended the traditional rulers and the people of Amurie Ancient Kingdom, comprising Amurie Omanze and Oboro Amurie for setting the pace in abolishing these caste systems in Igbo land.

The Eze Udo II of Amurie Omanze, Eze C.O Nnajiemere and Duruoha 1 of Oboro Amurie, Eze V.O Ahamefule Durugwoegebu iv, while addressing their subjects in the palace of Eze Udo II, said January 4, 2024 had been slated for abolishing Osu, ume, Ohu and diala caste systems in old Amurie Omanze ancient community.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by vanbonattel: 8:51am On Dec 25, 2023
Already abolished everywhere since 20 years ago, stop repeating rubbish.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by lexylaw40kuti: 9:04am On Dec 25, 2023
vanbonattel:
I think now they are trying to make it official

4 Likes

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by vanbonattel: 9:06am On Dec 25, 2023
lexylaw40kuti:
I think now they are trying to make it official

The abolishment was official all over Igboland, it was done where Igboland started.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by nonhuman(m): 9:40am On Dec 25, 2023
vanbonattel:
was abolished over 50years ago not 20

4 Likes

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by XAUBulls: 9:57am On Dec 25, 2023
lexylaw40kuti:

Guardian Nigeria
Dec 25, 2023 4:20 AM

Osu caste systems.
Photo:Daybreak Nigeria

A statement by the Executive Director of Pillars of Hope Africa Initiative (POHAI), Chinyere Oge-Kalu, said that the abolishment of these caste systems in the two communities was a fruit of years of advocacy by the National Human Rights Commission, POHAI, G’naira Family Foundation (GFF) and Kemdi Chino Opera Foundation (KCOF).

She expressed confidence that more communities, the entire Imo State and Igbo land will soon abolish these reprehensible caste systems, which dehumanises fellow compatriots as slaves/outcastes.

Oge-Kalu commended the traditional rulers and the people of Amurie Ancient Kingdom, comprising Amurie Omanze and Oboro Amurie for setting the pace in abolishing these caste systems in Igbo land.

The Eze Udo II of Amurie Omanze, Eze C.O Nnajiemere and Duruoha 1 of Oboro Amurie, Eze V.O Ahamefule Durugwoegebu iv, while addressing their subjects in the palace of Eze Udo II, said January 4, 2024 had been slated for abolishing Osu, ume, Ohu and diala caste systems in old Amurie Omanze ancient community.

These banning proclamations especially in Anambra and Imo States are just worthless toilet paper. This stigma towards Osu families still exists and I have heard several Lagos-based Ibo males bragging and saying on a live program that I monitored online in 2021 that "if Ibo traditional marriage cannot be banned, then Osu caste system CANNOT be banned!" One of those men who was bragging said he is from the Orlu area of Imo and others identified as being from Anambra.

Even Ifedayo "Daddy Freeze" Olarinde did a program which was beamed worldwide in 2022 on the Osu caste system and he got live calls from some Ibo guys who vehemently said that he should drop the topic and that it is the Ibo way of life that cannot be abolished.

The first ban on Osu caste system was in 1967, that is 56 years ago, and yet it has grown worse and more intense due to societal clannishness among the Ibos.

I have a friend from Rivers State who told me while we were discussing on a wide range of issues 10 years ago that his son was to get married to a young lady who is from a family of Osu, and his wife who is Ibo from Imo State REJECTED the plan, but her son was adamant about marrying the girl. I have also read online reports and watched several videos and programs like "Moments with Mo" by Mo Abudu featuring real men and women from the Osu families showing the continued discrimination towards so-called Osu and Ohu family lineages. They do not have full privileges in their villages, they are isolated in separate parts of their villages, and CANNOT get married to so-called dialla or non-Osu Ibo families. This is why you find the Osus getting married to other ethnic groups outside Iboland. Yes, one of the Ibo men from Orlu that I spoke about earlier said sarcastically in that recorded interview that any Ibo man or woman that you see getting married to a Benue, Yoruba, or Hausa, etc, is most likely an Osu, and that it's usually those groups of Ibos that get married to outsiders.

Even church priests and some Ibo folks (males and females) will tell you it is bad to discriminate against the Osus, but tell them to marry into those families, and they will stylishly decline the offer because of the strong societal stigma among the Ibos!

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by vanbonattel: 10:32am On Dec 25, 2023
nonhuman:

I really don't know why people are resurrecting a matter that had been solved.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by tunjijones(m): 10:41am On Dec 25, 2023
nonhuman:

Was abolished over 150 years ago not 50 years.

Lol... Osu that they are still practising in some igbo community till today.....

FYI, my masters project was about OSU cast in some part of the south eastern Nigeria

9 Likes

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by lexylaw40kuti: 10:45am On Dec 25, 2023
nonhuman:

1 Like

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by gidgiddy: 10:49am On Dec 25, 2023
No such thing as Osu any more, its a thing of the past
Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by Oloripelebe: 10:58am On Dec 25, 2023
Na dem full nairaland,something must be done about the Osus chestbeaters

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by NoahHadNoArk: 11:10am On Dec 25, 2023
Caste system in the 21 century 😒

You idiots are still living in the ice age!
Admit it😡

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by bhella10: 11:14am On Dec 25, 2023
grin Audio
Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by Mercury12(m): 11:55am On Dec 25, 2023
Abolished but still being practice among the people.
Who is deceiving who?
😂

4 Likes

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by Scarrr: 12:15pm On Dec 25, 2023
gidgiddy:
chief executive osu has spoken..😂

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by okoro: 12:32pm On Dec 25, 2023
Where is your source?
vanbonattel:

I really don't know why people are resurrecting a matter that had been solved.

1 Like

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by ElohimShenRa(m): 12:49pm On Dec 25, 2023
vanbonattel:

Just like they said they have abolished cannibalism but still secretly kidnap strangers, dismember their body parts and roast them like boli to celebrate their New Yam Festival.

These people, like their forebears, can never change their evil ways.

Anybody that tells me to go to any State in the East, Na 16-barreled-shakabula I go take blast dem skulls.

9 Likes

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by EmperorCaesar(m): 2:21pm On Dec 25, 2023
Really

Do these people still do this barbaric thing in 2023?

These guys do not just wanna develop at all

5 Likes

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by ottersberger(m): 3:25pm On Dec 25, 2023
XAUBulls:

These banning proclamations especially in Anambra and Imo States are just worthless toilet paper. This stigma towards Osu families still exists and I have heard several Lagos-based Ibo males bragging and saying on a live program that I monitored online in 2021 that "if Ibo traditional marriage cannot be banned, then Osu caste system CANNOT be banned!" One of those men who was bragging said he is from the Orlu area of Imo and others identified as being from Anambra.

Even Ifedayo "Daddy Freeze" Olarinde did a program which was beamed worldwide in 2022 on the Osu caste system and he got live calls from some Ibo guys who vehemently said that he should drop the topic and that it is the Ibo way of life that cannot be abolished.

The first ban on Osu caste system was in 1967, that is 56 years ago, and yet it has grown worse and more intense due to societal clannishness among the Ibos.

I have a friend from Rivers State who told me while we were discussing on a wide range of issues 10 years ago that his son was to get married to a young lady who is from a family of Osu, and his wife who is Ibo from Imo State REJECTED the plan, but her son was adamant about marrying the girl. I have also read online reports and watched several videos and programs like "Moments with Mo" by Mo Abudu featuring real men and women from the Osu families showing the continued discrimination towards so-called Osu and Ohu family lineages. They do not have full privileges in their villages, they are isolated in separate parts of their villages, and CANNOT get married to so-called dialla or non-Osu Ibo families. This is why you find the Osus getting married to other ethnic groups outside Iboland. Yes, one of the Ibo men from Orlu that I spoke about earlier said sarcastically in that recorded interview that any Ibo man or woman that you see getting married to a Benue, Yoruba, or Hausa, etc, is most likely an Osu, and that it's usually those groups of Ibos that get married to outsiders.

Even church priests and some Ibo folks (males and females) will tell you it is bad to discriminate against the Osus, but tell them to marry into those families, and they will stylishly decline the offer because of the strong societal stigma among the Ibos!

First, it is Igbo, not ibo.

The owners of the land have repeatedly told you that the practice has long been abolished, but you are bent on keeping it alive in your warped mind for reasons best known to you.

Can we assume that there are no objectionable cultural practices in Yoruba land or any other part of Nigeria?. Osu, Ohu, Ume, and whatever nomenclature they bear are relics of the past. The same is true of most African cultures.

The Igbo have and continue to purge those cultural practices of which they can no longer be proud today. India actively practices the caste system.

After your "got ya, I told you so," I hope your people, wherever you come from, cannot be caught with a cultural practice that also belongs in the dustbin.
Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by YorubaDemonswag: 3:34pm On Dec 25, 2023
Abolish wetin?

4 Likes

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by Roboto11: 3:37pm On Dec 25, 2023
gidgiddy:

Recent history.

3 Likes

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by ElSudani: 3:44pm On Dec 25, 2023
vanbonattel:

When did you get your own freedom?

4 Likes

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by ElSudani: 3:46pm On Dec 25, 2023
ottersberger:

First, it is Igbo, not ibo.

Ojukwu, Azikiwe and Achebe all referred to themselves as Ibo.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by Beremx(f): 3:52pm On Dec 25, 2023
Osu caste system still exists in Igbo land though not all parts. Some take it seriously while others don't.

2 Likes

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by LegendHero(m): 3:57pm On Dec 25, 2023
Beremx:
Osu caste system still exists in Igbo land though not all parts. Some take it seriously while others don't.

That means one of my friend back in school then with surname “Nwosu” is an Osu then.

But the guy is from Anambra. I thought Osu is restricted to Imo and Ebonyi before.

2 Likes

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by Beremx(f): 4:37pm On Dec 25, 2023
LegendHero:

That means one of my friend back in school then with surname “Nwosu” is an Osu then.

But the guy is from Anambra. I thought Osu is restricted to Imo and Ebonyi before.
Askari don't go calling your friend Osu o! Osu caste system is in Igbo land. No state is exempted. Read below and educate yourself.
Merry Christmas to you

1 Like

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by LegendHero(m): 4:43pm On Dec 25, 2023
Beremx:
Askari don't go calling your friend Osu o! Osu caste system is in Igbo land. No state is exempted. Read below and educate yourself.
Merry Christmas to you

Then why did someone wrote that any Igbo surname with Osu included in it means they are from lineage of Osu?

Example Osuji, Nwosu, and etc.

So that means going by your point, you can’t recognize an Osu person just by surname?

I’ve read the full blogpost, the man said those names have nothing to do with someone being Osu as they have different meaning.

So Beremx, how do people now know who are Osu or not? Do they need to go to their family house to trace their ancestry?

https://www.chidoonumah.com/understanding-the-osu-caste-system-in-igboland-why-do-people-bear-surnames-like-nwosu-osuagwu-osuigwe-osuji/

3 Likes

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by Beremx(f): 4:53pm On Dec 25, 2023
LegendHero:

Then why did someone wrote that any Igbo surname with Osu included in it means they are from lineage of Osu?

Example Osuji, Nwosu, and etc.

So that means going by your point, you can’t recognize an Osu person just by surname?

https://www.chidoonumah.com/understanding-the-osu-caste-system-in-igboland-why-do-people-bear-surnames-like-nwosu-osuagwu-osuigwe-osuji/
not everyone who has Osu in his name is an Osu. Yes you can't recognize an Osu person by surname. I know of a popular female politician from Imo State who is Osu. I don't want to mention her name and I don't wanna give clues.
Osu people are known to be rich and well connected from what I heard sha.
Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by LegendHero(m): 4:56pm On Dec 25, 2023
Beremx:
not everyone who has Osu in his name is an Osu. Yes you can't recognize an Osu person by surname. I know of a popular female politician from Imo State who is Osu. I don't want to mention her name and I don't wanna give clues.
Osu people are known to be rich and well connected from what I heard sha.

Okay correction noted.

Merry Christmas 🎁.

2 Likes

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by etrange: 5:21pm On Dec 25, 2023
Osu is still practiced in some places in 2023? I thought it was something read in history textbooks or seen in movies. Wow... man's inhumanity to man.

2 Likes

Re: Again, Two Imo Communities Set January To Abolish Osu, Others by ottersberger(m): 5:35pm On Dec 25, 2023
ElSudani:

Ojukwu, Azikiwe and Achebe all referred to themselves as Ibo.

Provide evidence

(1) (2) (Reply)

Video: Fulani Terrorists Threaten Yoruba Race / The Aerial View Of Ongoing Transformation Of Ochanja Roundabout / Duke Lacrosse Players

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.