Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,505 members, 7,830,518 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

Advice A Prospective Graduate - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice A Prospective Graduate (6251 Views)

Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer / I'm In A Critical Situation, Please Advice A Confused Soul. / Amaka Anku: HR Manager Shares Mail She Got From Prospective Employee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by popweezy(m): 4:24pm On Dec 28, 2023
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by rhames(m): 4:24pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:
I will be graduating in a couple of months..
I studied electrical engineering at a federal university.

While in school, I was fortunate to have saved up about 2.7 million naira having engaged in some online side hustle with a small skill I learnt..but I can't depend on this skill for survival as the incomes are not steady at all.

My mom is about to retire .my dad who lives separately is no longer interested in my care and doesn't want me around as soon as I am done studying.

This means I am literally on my own.
What advice can you give to a me in order to start life and sustain my self.

I once thought of buying a used corolla to begin Uber/bolt.. I also don't have any planned business in mind

Mods pls fpšŸ™

Build on that skills to be able to establish a better business that will bring you four to five times your capital.
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by downbad(m): 4:25pm On Dec 28, 2023
What online hustle gave you that much money? I'm interested. I've been trying and failing to get writing gigs on Upwork. I'm currently building myself as a web developer to add to my repertoire of skills.
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by chiboycue: 4:27pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:

While in school, I was fortunate to have saved up about 2.7 million naira having engaged in some online side hustle with a small skill I learnt..but I can't depend on this skill for survival as the incomes are not steady at all.

My mom is about to retire .my dad who lives separately is no longer interested in my care and doesn't want me around as soon as I am done studying.

I once thought of buying a used corolla to begin Uber/bolt.. I also don't have any planned business in mind

Mods pls fpšŸ™

Continue with your online side hustle along with your small skill that you learnt. Develop yourself as a entrepreneur with a fraction of your savings
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by nonstan(m): 4:30pm On Dec 28, 2023
Do NYSC and get a good job and you will be fine. I did same bro
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Skillsnigeria: 4:30pm On Dec 28, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Usmanovic95(m): 4:35pm On Dec 28, 2023
Just stick to your online hustle, nothing dey offline.Alot of people you are seeking advice from don't even have that 2.7m you can boast of in your account.Just devote more time to whatever gave you that amount as long as it is legit online biz.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by DyingFetus: 4:53pm On Dec 28, 2023
Buy a laptop and learn to code either cpp or asm
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by abba190: 5:01pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:

Mods pls fpšŸ™
just say u won a gamble and u dont wanna continue, because if u continue alabi will collect his money back, if not in this harsh economy who will leave an online side hustle that fetched him 2.7miller grin

1 Like

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Rizla2024: 5:06pm On Dec 28, 2023
Entanglement:
find how you go take japa because work no dey!

Any ediot were dey tell you go learn trade or hand work or go do business slap am undecided

The useless presidents Una vote is here to reap this country apart!
You put that 2.7 million for business and what how village people together with govt tax devour you apart

you get sense at all? How person go use 2.7m take japa how much for flight ticket alone?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Oladhips(m): 5:06pm On Dec 28, 2023
Mummyimbecile:
From the money you save, buy a brand new laptop with at least 8 to 16gb ram.. In fact, Google the specifications that a laptop should have to be used for coding.

The laptop won't pass 450k, do enough data, go and inquire about a tech school around you were you can learn web programming and design and also video editing.

Learn it with passion, and at night learn on YouTube, when you feel you're perfect, head over to Upwork and open a profile, start bidding for the job, you will surely get your first gig, and believe me, it will get better from there.

And when that happens, you will turn from a struggling dude to a Fresh Dude...

I'm talking from experience.

Best advice so far šŸ’ÆāœŒ

1 Like

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Teeneyo(m): 5:07pm On Dec 28, 2023
Collect one room for area wey light dey

Bone woman matter for 3 years

Continue d small hustle wey give u 2.7 meter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Entanglement: 5:12pm On Dec 28, 2023
Rizla2024:

you get sense at all? How person go use 2.7m take japa how much for flight ticket alone?
your brain carter full am I swear undecided

You no go dey use for scholarship to master or some sponsors jobs undecided

Typical black man with shallow thinking
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by gidjah(m): 5:13pm On Dec 28, 2023
I think you should build on your career, then get into full time farming wether raining or dry seasons ,it will pay almost immediately. Food business in Nigeria is booming well for those who understand the concept.Try getting round ideas about farming and see for your self you will also have time for your studies on MSC.TRY AND AIM LECTURING JOBS
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by chimaxx: 5:19pm On Dec 28, 2023
[quote author=Mummyimbecile post=127666226]From the money you save, buy a brand new laptop with at least 8 to 16gb ram.. In fact, Google the specifications that a laptop should have to be used for coding.

The laptop won't pass 450k, do enough data, go and inquire about a tech school around you were you can learn web programming and design and also video editing.

Learn it with passion, and at night learn on YouTube, when you feel you're perfect, head over to Upwork and open a profile, start bidding for the job, you will surely get your first gig, and believe me, it will get better from there.

This is the best advice I have read so far, as a matter of fact I will do it for my son.

1 Like

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Jokerman(m): 5:23pm On Dec 28, 2023
Go and learn from an electrical engineer especially in MEP areas....
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Chesster: 5:33pm On Dec 28, 2023
olaztek:
Learn how to repair electronic gadgets like phones, pc, laptop, Inverter, Bluetooth Speakers and so on. Repair service are now highly demanded as most people cannot afford to buy new gadgets when the ones they have become faulty.

You will be cashing out daily without worrying about the economic downturn.

As much as I like the idea..the thing is there is no room to learn any skill once I am done ..I have to fend for myself alone as I have no one to rely on while learning anything
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Chesster: 5:35pm On Dec 28, 2023
abba190:
just say u won a gamble and u dont wanna continue, because if u continue alabi will collect his money back, if not in this harsh economy who will leave an online side hustle that fetched him 2.7miller grin

My parents are sponsoring me through school.. that allowed me save up nearly everything I earned.. and this is over 2 years of constant savings
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Chesster: 5:36pm On Dec 28, 2023
downbad:
What online hustle gave you that much money? I'm interested. I've been trying and failing to get writing gigs on Upwork. I'm currently building myself as a web developer to add to my repertoire of skills.

Video editing
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Chesster: 5:36pm On Dec 28, 2023
temitope66:
Which online hustle give you 2.7m
Video editing
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Chesster: 5:37pm On Dec 28, 2023
post=127666080:
If you can save almost 3 million with your online side hustle,
Why aren't you Interested in the hustle anymore?

Revenues are not constant
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by abba190: 5:39pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:

My parents are sponsoring me through school.. that allowed me save up nearly everything I earned.. and this is over 2 years of constant savings
its still worth doing, anything that will give u 2.7ml in 2years is not worth leaving the street is not smiling
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by downbad(m): 5:40pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:

Video editing

How did you land gigs? It's a pain getting a job
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Chesster: 5:41pm On Dec 28, 2023
Mummyimbecile:
From the money you save, buy a brand new laptop with at least 8 to 16gb ram.. In fact, Google the specifications that a laptop should have to be used for coding.

I already have a laptop .. I learnt video editing and tried Freelancing on fiverr and Upwork..on Upwork I got nothing.. literally wasted all my connects on 2 accounts..on fiverr..I barely got impressions not to talk of views on my gigs ..

I tried learning programming once, I realised it's really not for me as I couldn't cope..
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Chesster: 5:42pm On Dec 28, 2023
downbad:

How did you land gigs? It's a pain getting a job

I got jobs from school coupled with a channel I edit for
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Chesster: 5:42pm On Dec 28, 2023
abba190:
its still worth doing, anything that will give u 2.7ml in 2years is not worth leaving the street is not smiling

You should note that it took over 2 years of constant savings ..it isn't something I generated in a short while
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by akinsmail51: 5:43pm On Dec 28, 2023
Don't start business yet, acquire high income skills, sell your skills to make more money.

You can leverage on your existing skill set or just Google "High Income Skills" and go after the one that suits you and can fetch you money
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Obnoxious2001(m): 5:44pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:

Mods pls fpšŸ™

I get business for you.
But your location would matter...
Look into renewable energy, waste and farming

Red oil, batteries, solar panels, repairs...
The bros that said repair actually spoke my mind ..

I was on the verge of focusing full time on repairs this year, but money naim yab me.
You already have the money so use it well.

Remember, self development is the best investment you can make.
I can remember the 40k I spent wayback 2017 in 2nd year in school(na small small I even pay self). Na that investment dey feed me cool cool cool.

All deals can come in

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by layovin(m): 5:47pm On Dec 28, 2023
Guy you already have hand work just look for a good and connected electrian and be following him about for like 6 months or a year then you're good to go.
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by zagorakis(m): 5:47pm On Dec 28, 2023
As you no get any business for mind, use that money and enrol to a nursing school and thank me later.
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Chesster: 5:48pm On Dec 28, 2023
abba190:
lol grin grin grin I don't gamble
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Chesster: 5:49pm On Dec 28, 2023
zagorakis:
As you no get any business for mind, use that money and enrol to a nursing school and thank me later.
From electrical engineering to nursing..
Why will you advise that.. please explain further šŸ™šŸ™

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CONGRATS To All HND Holders In The Nigerian Custom Service For Their Upgrades. / Why "Follow Your Passion Is Dangerous Advice. / What Is The Entry Level Salary For Accenture, Kpmg Pwc And Awd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.