Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,272 members, 7,829,594 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

Advice A Prospective Graduate - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice A Prospective Graduate (6247 Views)

Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer / I'm In A Critical Situation, Please Advice A Confused Soul. / Amaka Anku: HR Manager Shares Mail She Got From Prospective Employee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Blake755: 5:54pm On Dec 28, 2023
Sporty is after my life
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Mummyimbecile(m): 6:02pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:

I already have a laptop .. I learnt video editing and tried Freelancing on fiverr and Upwork..on Upwork I got nothing.. literally wasted all my connects on 2 accounts..on fiverr..I barely got impressions not to talk of views on my gigs ..

I tried learning programming once, I realised it's really not for me as I couldn't cope..

yeah, but these things take time, commitment and patience. It ain't a get-rich quit scheme.

It took me 2months before I got a gig on Upwork, but now, I'm doing well, though I do it on freelance basis, cos offline work no allow man again.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Chesster: 6:06pm On Dec 28, 2023
Mummyimbecile:
yeah, but these things take time, commitment and patience. It ain't a get-rich quit scheme.

It took me 2months before I got a gig on upwork, but now, I'm doing well, though I don't on freelance basis, cos offline work no allow man again.
Wow.. please what did you do each time you ran out of connects
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Mummyimbecile(m): 6:09pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:

Wow.. please what did you do each time you ran out of connects
I buy connects.

Upwork is like a business, when you treat it as such, you reap the fruits/dividends.

I'm currently working on a 1200$ project for a client from Bangladesh.

2 Likes

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Decarbonisation: 6:09pm On Dec 28, 2023
Mummyimbecile:
I buy connects.

Upwork is like a business, when you treat it as such, you reap the fruits/dividends.

Sengbo weyrey?

1 Like

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Omowale2023(m): 6:13pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:
I will be graduating in a couple of months..
I studied electrical engineering at a federal university.

While in school, I was fortunate to have saved up about 2.7 million naira having engaged in some online side hustle with a small skill I learnt..but I can't depend on this skill for survival as the incomes are not steady at all.

My mom is about to retire .my dad who lives separately is no longer interested in my care and doesn't want me around as soon as I am done studying.

This means I am literally on my own.
What advice can you give to a me in order to start life and sustain my self.

I once thought of buying a used corolla to begin Uber/bolt.. I also don't have any planned business in mind

Mods pls fp🙏
Don't learn handwork

Go and learn social media/digital marketing.

Go and get your professional degrees and licenses.

Go and get your PGD & masters'(Make sure it's a degree you will use or the experience you will make use of later in life)
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Mavinsoladele(m): 6:15pm On Dec 28, 2023
Mummyimbecile:
From the money you save, buy a brand new laptop with at least 8 to 16gb ram.. In fact, Google the specifications that a laptop should have to be used for coding.

The laptop won't pass 450k, do enough data, go and inquire about a tech school around you were you can learn web programming and design and also video editing.

Learn it with passion, and at night learn on YouTube, when you feel you're perfect, head over to Upwork and open a profile, start bidding for the job, you will surely get your first gig, and believe me, it will get better from there.

And when that happens, you will turn from a struggling dude to a Fresh Dude...

Let me quickly add that I paid for my flight ticket to the United States with part of the money I made from freelancing.

Freelancing pays!

I'm talking from experience.

You are saying it as if earning through freelancing is that direct. Like it's very simple like that grin

Op, you will be shocked
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by zagorakis(m): 6:15pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:

From electrical engineering to nursing..
Why will you advise that.. please explain further 🙏🙏

It does not matter which career path you are already. You can achieve whatever you want.

Right, Nursing has been proven to be one of the easiest way to leave this country for a better life abroad. That's if it is what you're interested in.

1 Like

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Mavinsoladele(m): 6:16pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:

While in school, I was fortunate to have saved up about 2.7 million naira having engaged in some online side hustle with a small skill I learnt..but I can't depend on this skill for survival as the incomes are not steady at all.

My mom is about to retire .my dad who lives separately is no longer interested in my care and doesn't want me around as soon as I am done studying.

I once thought of buying a used corolla to begin Uber/bolt.. I also don't have any planned business in mind

Mods pls fp🙏

Chesster, hit me up. I have a business opportunity for you.
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by bluefilm: 6:21pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:

Mods pls fp🙏

Why not continue with your online hustle?

If it is legit, it will continue to pay out.

If it is illegit, EFCC will eventually come after you.
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Flenory: 6:30pm On Dec 28, 2023
Mummyimbecile:
From the money you save, buy a brand new laptop with at least 8 to 16gb ram.. In fact, Google the specifications that a laptop should have to be used for coding.

The laptop won't pass 450k, do enough data, go and inquire about a tech school around you were you can learn web programming and design and also video editing.

Learn it with passion, and at night learn on YouTube, when you feel you're perfect, head over to Upwork and open a profile, start bidding for the job, you will surely get your first gig, and believe me, it will get better from there.

Let me quickly add that I paid for my flight ticket to the United States with part of the money I made from freelancing.

Freelancing pays!

I'm talking from experience.
Maaaannn..
I ain't gonna lie,it pays but landing a job is very hard..
How did you do it on Upwork pls cuz I'm really frustrated and about giving up already
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Chesster: 6:30pm On Dec 28, 2023
Mummyimbecile:
I buy connects.

Sadly..There are no editing jobs within the range of figures you are working on ..
May I know the services you render..

I have opened more than 3 Upwork Accounts then gave up..
I bought an Upwork course which didn't help either
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by DKM123: 7:18pm On Dec 28, 2023
Tunde835:

I am a g@y m!serable tribalistic b!got who h@tes his life and so go on faceless forums to insult entire tribes so I can feel good about my s@d life
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Sayboy: 7:19pm On Dec 28, 2023
If you have a job and want to improve your productivity by moving into a new apartment, we can help finance your rent. To get started, please reach out to Sayo on WhatsApp @ 08132145325 or fill out this form: https://airtable.com/appvLXBi6BUFsWxo4/shrVD47Kh3WI7PVbF

See flyer for terms and conditions.

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Mummyimbecile(m): 7:29pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:

Sadly..There are no editing jobs within the range of figures you are working on ..
May I know the services you render..

I have opened more than 3 Upwork Accounts then gave up..
I bought an Upwork course which didn't help either
there are editing jobs that pay that much... It depends on the client.

I offer web design, first line personalization, and email copywriting-
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Mummyimbecile(m): 7:31pm On Dec 28, 2023
Flenory:
Maaaannn..
I ain't gonna lie,it pays but landing a job is very hard..
How did you do it on Upwork pls cuz I'm really frustrated and about giving up already
just patience bro, I send up to 15 to 20 proposals in a day.

You must get an interview regardless of how village people take be on the person case😂

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by millionboi2: 8:10pm On Dec 28, 2023
temitope66:
Which online hustle give you 2.7m
yahoo
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by millionboi2: 8:11pm On Dec 28, 2023
Chesster:

Mods pls fp🙏
are you a yahoo boy,talk true
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by millionboi2: 8:15pm On Dec 28, 2023
Natbrowny:
Continue wit the online business. If u can make 2.7milla..u can make more..
what if na betting?
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Quebec91(m): 8:48pm On Dec 28, 2023
You dey mind am, dem no go talk true true, everything na still under online hustle
temitope66:
Which online hustle give you 2.7m
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Natbrowny: 8:55pm On Dec 28, 2023
millionboi2:
what if na betting?

Na 2.7milla for 2 odds. Money loading.
. Investment in 90mins
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by uuzba(m): 9:54pm On Dec 28, 2023
Mummyimbecile:
I buy connects.

I'm currently working.... Is the $1200 in your hand ? Yes or No?
----
No one asked you the money involved.
I notice that when people have NO money, they come online to mention large sounding amonts.
I really don't know whom you're trying to impress or why the incessant need to impress anyone.

1 Like

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by theamazonguru(m): 10:24pm On Dec 28, 2023
DyingFetus:
Buy a laptop and learn to code either cpp or asm

You mean c ++ and assembly language?
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Xyronnx99(m): 11:01pm On Dec 28, 2023
Mummyimbecile:

Freelancing pays!

Best advice

1 Like

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Mummyimbecile(m): 11:01pm On Dec 28, 2023
[quote author=uuzba post=127671384]

----
I notice that when people have NO money, they come online to mention large sounding amonts.
I really don't know whom you're trying to impress or why the incessant need to impress anyone. [/quoteim not one of those. Quote me on a dead thread, I'll show you a snapshot of my job list.
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Mummyimbecile(m): 11:04pm On Dec 28, 2023
uuzba:

----
I really don't know whom you're trying to impress or why the incessant need to impress anyone.
also, I decided to mention the amount to inspire young Nigerians who may be willing to hustle on Upwork.

1200$ is like a million naira plus when converted to naira, and that to my estimation is big money for just one project.

Imagine getting 2 to 3 of that in a month... And I bet you, it's feasible if you know what you're doing.

1 Like

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Daviddalon(m): 12:00am On Dec 29, 2023
Listen to what i have to say, from my little experience and other people's mistake i can tell you that

1) Don't chase money but try to solve a problem because chasing money leads you to become impatient, then you begin to jump from one idea to the other only for you to realise that someone who started one of your previous idea with you is already making money,you then repeat the whole idea, jump around chasing money.

2) don't trade your happiness for money.

3) LOWKEY, don't cast your sef outside(enemies close pass friends) don't expect anything from anyone so e no go pain you when them try disappoint you

4) no forget say God love you
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Geovanni412(m): 3:36am On Dec 29, 2023
Timoleon:
Whatever it is that you did on a part time basis and saved up 2.7million is definitely profitable. No come here come dey disturb us with stupid questions.

Boss,

You may not understand op's plight

But lemme explain how some of these things work

One of my friends works online and earned about 2 million naira this year but the work involves doing micro tasks

You are paid in cents for each work you do and you have no idea when the task requiring your skills will come up. He told me that the highest earners from Nigeria on the site had multiple accts and slept between 2-4 hrs each day. Some of them barely sleep at all.

That kind of work is not sustainable for a married man or a guy who wants to make progress in his professional career and grow.

Hope you understand the point better now.

@Chesster, you said you are good at video editing. I'm.not an expert but I think your issue is relating to getting more clients. If that is the case, the focus should be on email marketing. Watch videos from African giant on YouTube then buy the required software to help with that. Cold email or DM is the first skill I am looking to learn as well. It's hard to rely on referrals and word of mouth marketing alone.

Client acquisition is more important than whatever skill you have.

1 Like

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Timoleon(m): 6:01am On Dec 29, 2023
Geovanni412:

Boss,

You may not understand op's plight

But lemme explain how some of these things work

One of my friends works online and earned about 2 million naira this year but the work involves doing micro tasks

You are paid in cents for each work you do and you have no idea when the task requiring your skills will come up. He told me that the highest earners from Nigeria on the site had multiple accts and slept between 2-4 hrs each day. Some of them barely sleep at all.

That kind of work is not sustainable for a married man or a guy who wants to make progress in his professional career and grow.

Hope you understand the point better now.

@Chesster, you said you are good at video editing. I'm.not an expert but I think your issue is relating to getting more clients. If that is the case, the focus should be on email marketing. Watch videos from African giant on YouTube then buy the required software to help with that. Cold email or DM is the first skill I am looking to learn as well. It's hard to rely on referrals and word of mouth marketing alone.

Client acquisition is more important than whatever skill you have.

The scenarios are different. This case involves a student studying electrical engineering. That is his full time activity. On the side, he did hustle that allowed him to SAVE 2.7 million. Meaning that he earned more than this. If he could be doing such number on a part time basis, he will do better numbers if he worked full time.
Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Gerrard59(m): 6:18am On Dec 29, 2023
Chevrolet076:

My advice for you:

Do
Depending on your grade and age, apply for graduate trainee roles in any institution and build your career from there.
Improve on the legit skill that gave you 2m+ and grow better from there
If you'll do business, ensure you are able to monitor it properly or put someone you trust

Don't
Don't go into Uber or riding anything by yourself at this age, it'll take your time and the gain is short term.
In all you do, avoid crime or anything incriminating.

I pray God help you.

This is it. OP, Take this advice. Don't go into entrepreneurship because you were able to garner 2.7 million from an online hustle, which you said its earnings are erratic. The most successful entrepreneurs worked elsewhere before starting their enterprises. So, if you have an OK grade, get a salaried job, learn the ropes of being in a structured environment for at least three years. Then strike out to become an entrepreneur. If you love the career path, you could work towards being the best in your field.

3 Likes

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by Sayboy: 10:27am On Dec 29, 2023
If you are thinking of where to live after your graduation, explore our rent financing solution

Re: Advice A Prospective Graduate by abfelicity91: 4:57pm On Jan 01
The guy na yahoo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CONGRATS To All HND Holders In The Nigerian Custom Service For Their Upgrades. / What Is The Entry Level Salary For Accenture, Kpmg Pwc And Awd / Why "Follow Your Passion Is Dangerous Advice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.