Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,890 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:16 AM

How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year (1028 Views)

NNPCL Gifts โ‚ฆ200k Petrol Voucher To Lady Who Wakes Early To Cook For Her Husband / See How Much I Give My Wife To Cook Food For Us Everyday / Is It Wrong To Cook In My Married Brother's House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by Jewessgratitud3: 11:35pm On Dec 30, 2023
It is disheartening to see what people parade this days as party jollof rice. it's either too dry or too grainy and tasting of too much sachet spices of all kinds found in the market these days. That is no longer party jollof but Chinese or Indian rice. As an Olopo/Caterer, the way we were taught, the real Nigerian jollof doesn't require any of those spices or seasonings. Just the basics to allow every other ingredient give their flavor.
We learnt from the best. From Old women using firewood. Not your gas and electric cookers.

The old jollof that I ate growing up is not too dry. Very moist and sometimes the grains stick together to form lumps when dishing it. Any party jollof without this lumpy part is not party jollof. Na you know wetin you cook.

So the basic seasoning for this are
Garlic and little ginger ,๐Ÿ‘‰these go into the meat only. Not in your rice.

Knorr cubes
Tiger Curry cup and thyme
Bayleaf
That's all.

Pepper mix

1. Dry pepper. This is the main secret ingredient of jollof rice Smokey taste. A lot of people don't use this but they don't know it is the first step to building the smokey flavor.

2. Tatase this adds color to your jollof

3. Rodo pepper this has its own unique flavor and aroma it blends with the oil to give the whole food.

4.&5 Tin tomato or tomato paste. This also enhances the tomato flavor of your jollof. Then your fresh tomatoes.

Please don't ever use garlic and ginger inside your rice. Use it for only seasoning of meat then use the meat stock to cook your rice.

Season the meat with curry, thyme, seasoning cubes, onions blended garlic and ginger. Don't add water, let it simmer for some minutes before adding water to cook the meat properly.

Blend all the pepper mix above with some onions and Parboil.

Fry the meat. Use the oil from frying the meat to fry your tin tomatoes (add more oil if needed) the oil must be above the tomatoes to fry very well ( you can always scoop out excess and enjoy with yam some other time) when it's well fried, add the parboiled tomatoes and bayleaf. Then add half of the meat stock and seasoning cubes to your stew and continue fry until it is dry and the oil is floating on top of the stew. At this stage you can scoop out little to sauce the meat or chicken.

Note I didn't add thyme again because thyme can be very overpowering and spoil things. So I'll just stick with the one from the meat stock.

Time to cook the rice.

Add fresh oil to a clean pot on the fire.
Add onions, curry and bayleaf and begin to scoop the fried stew into the hot oil and stir for a few mins.

Add the remaining meat stock and test to be sure everything is ok. Add more water to cook your rice cover and allow it to boil very well.
This prevent mushy rice.

Wash your rice with hot water and add to the boiling water.. cover and allow to done. Keep checking until the water is completely dried and the rice is soft. Then add more stew, slice some onions, cover and reduce the heat so it can soften with the steam.

Open and add butter to it. Cover for a few mins and turn off the heat. Stir the rice. Voila! Party jollof is ready.

Try this recipe and you'll get that party jollof of old.

Spices no be party jollof o.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by Jewessgratitud3: 11:35pm On Dec 30, 2023
4. Tin tomato paste
5. Fresh tomatoes

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by Kingrshd3: 11:50pm On Dec 30, 2023
Good job you plz send me address make I con taste am abeg

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by Jewessgratitud3: 12:46am On Dec 31, 2023
Kingrshd3:
Good job you plz send me address make I con taste am abeg

Taste keh? grin I'm just giving tips ni o. These are pics from the internet.

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 2:02am On Dec 31, 2023
Should the Cooking be done using firewood ๐Ÿ”ฅ or gas cooker?
Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by Angrigowt: 3:07am On Dec 31, 2023
Ppl dnt cook into new year na. Xmas don pass
Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by Jewessgratitud3: 4:21am On Dec 31, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:
Should the Cooking be done using firewood ๐Ÿ”ฅ or gas cooker?

Anyone is fine.

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by okirewaju(f): 8:24am On Dec 31, 2023
Nice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by jamesversion: 8:28am On Dec 31, 2023
Ok. Will attempt it someday.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by XAUBulls: 11:08pm On Jan 06
Jewessgratitud3:
It is disheartening to see what people parade this days as party jollof rice. it's either too dry or too grainy and tasting of too much sachet spices of all kinds found in the market these days. That is no longer party jollof but Chinese or Indian rice. As an Olopo/Caterer, the way we were taught, the real Nigerian jollof doesn't require any of those spices or seasonings. Just the basics to allow every other ingredient give their flavor.
We learnt from the best. From Old women using firewood. Not your gas and electric cookers.

The old jollof that I ate growing up is not too dry. Very moist and sometimes the grains stick together to form lumps when dishing it. Any party jollof without this lumpy part is not party jollof. Na you know wetin you cook.

Knorr cubes
Bayleaf
That's all.

Pepper mix

1. Dry pepper. This is the main secret ingredient of jollof rice Smokey taste. A lot of people don't use this but they don't know it is the first step to building the smokey flavor.

3. Rodo pepper this has its own unique flavor and aroma it blends with the oil to give the whole food.

4.&5 Tin tomato or tomato paste. This also enhances the tomato flavor of your jollof. Then your fresh tomatoes.

Please don't ever use garlic and ginger inside your rice. Use it for only seasoning of meat then use the meat stock to cook your rice.

Season the meat with curry, thyme, seasoning cubes, onions blended garlic and ginger. Don't add water, let it simmer for some minutes before adding water to cook the meat properly.

Fry the meat. Use the oil from frying the meat to fry your tin tomatoes (add more oil if needed) the oil must be above the tomatoes to fry very well ( you can always scoop out excess and enjoy with yam some other time) when it's well fried, add the parboiled tomatoes and bayleaf. Then add half of the meat stock and seasoning cubes to your stew and continue fry until it is dry and the oil is floating on top of the stew. At this stage you can scoop out little to sauce the meat or chicken.

Note I didn't add thyme again because thyme can be very overpowering and spoil things. So I'll just stick with the one from the meat stock.

Time to cook the rice.

Add onions, curry and bayleaf and begin to scoop the fried stew into the hot oil and stir for a few mins.

Add the remaining meat stock and test to be sure everything is ok. Add more water to cook your rice cover and allow it to boil very well.
This prevent mushy rice.

Wash your rice with hot water and add to the boiling water.. cover and allow to done. Keep checking until the water is completely dried and the rice is soft. Then add more stew, slice some onions, cover and reduce the heat so it can soften with the steam.

Open and add butter to it. Cover for a few mins and turn off the heat. Stir the rice. Voila! Party jollof is ready.

Insightful... 1980s smokey party jollof rice on steroids.

Pepper mix

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by Day169: 10:04am On Jan 07
@Jewessgratitud3, no gree for anybody this new year. cheesy
.. see as the jollof rice set!
Kudos!! ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by Jewessgratitud3: 10:23am On Jan 07
Day169:
@Jewessgratitud3, no gree for anybody this new year. cheesy
.. see as the jollof rice set!
Kudos!! ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ

grin grin... Not my photos o. I downloaded them but this is how I make my party jollof.
Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by Konquest: 9:49pm On Jan 28
Jewessgratitud3:

Knorr cubes
Bayleaf
That's all.

Pepper mix

Time to cook the rice.

This prevent mushy rice.

Nice post... This is the real deal smokey party jollof rice with the evergreen bay leaves infused and a little more. I like eating the smokey basmati party jollof rice (and basmati fried rice) every week... It's become an addiction for me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by TheWinterBird(f): 4:26am On Feb 02
Awesome.

I cook mine differently, though, and it comes out so delicious. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by Jewessgratitud3: 7:57pm On Feb 07
TheWinterBird:
Awesome.

I cook mine differently, though, and it comes out so delicious. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Wow that's good. Do you mind sharing? cheesy

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by TheWinterBird(f): 9:41pm On Mar 03
Jewessgratitud3:

Wow that's good. Do you mind sharing? cheesy

This is the Smoky Jollof rice I made last week. I cooked it for almost 3-hours and turned the heat high when it was almost done cooking in order to get the smoky flavor.

For the meat, I used a mix of goat meat, lamb, and beef ribs.

Also, one of the secret seasonings I use for jollof rice is in the first photo. Can you spot it? *Hint: it's at the back, though not too clear, unless you zoom in. The other two things I add to the rice to make it taste even more yummy aren't in there; I forgot to snap them.
Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by Jewessgratitud3: 10:07pm On Mar 03
TheWinterBird:

This is the Smoky Jollof rice I made last week. I cooked it for almost 3-hours and turned the heat high when it was almost done cooking in order to get the smoky flavor.

For the meat, I used a mix of goat meat, lamb, and beef ribs.

Also, one of the secret seasonings I use for jollof rice is in the first photo. Can you spot it? *Hint: it's at the back, though not too clear, unless you zoom in. The other two things I add to the rice to make it taste even more yummy aren't in there; I forgot to snap them.

Is it the oxo seasoning? Goat meat in party jollof wont it be too extra? Just saying.. I prefer only the beefy taste in my party jollof. Even if I use Chicken I must add beef stock.

Where's the end result?
Re: How To Cook Real Party Jollof Rice With A Smokey Taste This New Year by TheWinterBird(f): 10:19pm On Mar 03
Jewessgratitud3:

Is it the oxo seasoning? Goat meat in party jollof wont it be too extra? Just saying.. I prefer only the beefy taste in my party jollof. Even if I use Chicken I must add beef stock.

Where's the end result?
Nope, it's at the back. And goat meat is the best meat for jollof/party jollof. The goat meat sold here is different from the one sold in Nigeria and it makes really nice stock for jollof. The Nigerian one is really hard but I'm sure it's nice for jollof as well. I normally just use goat meat only but wanted to add lamb and beef ribs this time and it came out delish.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

To My Nigerian Brothers: What Is Most Important To You: / Have Your Say: Twins Wedding / Nigerian Youth Arise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.