Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,780 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach (36137 Views)

Ilashe Beach - One Of The Most Luxurious Beaches In Nigeria / A Visit To Oniru Beach, Victoria Island, Lagos. / Top 5 Beaches Every Lagosian Must Visit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by Offpoint1: 2:36pm On Jan 03
Turquoiseee:
I’ve never been to a beach before. Who will take me? I’ll get to wear that beautiful bikini I bought and have not had the chance to use.
Your location and when you'll like to visit, let's meet up.
Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by airsaylongcome: 2:37pm On Jan 03
AfahaAbia:
I feel really sad about the present status of Oniru beach and others. I still have fond memories about Bar beach in the early 80s and 90s

None of these current beaches can come anywhere close to the memories of Bar Beach in its hey day

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by DrAkpamudehe: 2:39pm On Jan 03
Cromagnon:

Everyone pays to access beaches.
How do you think they are maintained and lifeguards are paid. It's called Taxes
How much do you pay in Nigeria?

Pls Keep quiet, beaches are free in first world countries, and in south Africa.The only thing you pay for is parking if you decide to park at the beach car park when there are many free street parkings available.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by Yampotatocarrot(m): 2:39pm On Jan 03
Chevrolet076:
After more than 15 years since I visited a beach (Eleko beach), I anticipated seeing and having the usual beach feel of
strong roaring foamy waves,
very cold winds that can sweep you off your feet,
the wide expanse of water so wide and so blue that connects to the sky as far back as your eyes can see,
hundreds of sea creatures especially crabs running back into the sea as it recedes,
the freedom of trekking kilometers down both sides of the sea,
the non-existence of any foreign thing like tractors, restaurant etc close to the sea... Just the traditional dishes and feel.

Everything is so bad that I just felt I wasted money on overrated stuffs.

No roaring waves,
no cold winds,
swimming pool-like water waves and forced waves from the jet skis and boat l cruise.
Green colored sea filled with sea weed
Cans, bottle, food pack littering everywhere
Guys with intimidating looks smoking up and down
Loudspeakers playing useless music and disturbing the peace of the sea,
Almost non-existent sea shells. Except for few tiny ones
Tractors everywhere with security guard threatening you if you dare to cross over to landmark side
Sand heaped on all four sides of the sea making it look like a swimming pool. Imagine a whole beach o

Everything has been monitized and the beach is so small that it's choking.

You can only have fun by buying overpriced things. Boat cruise at 3k, horse riding for just a short distance at 2k per person, one tiny suya at 2k, entry fẹẹ increased to 2k as well.

If not for the other families that came with football which we started playing, what would my holiday look like?

It is well. I just think not everything should be monitized and milked so it loses its natural feel.

Felt so bad for nature. The beach's sadness penetrated through my bones cry cry cry cry cry cry

Has anyone experienced this? Any idea of a good beach that is still an actual beach?

Just spend 2k to cross to Benin Republic, the beach there is free, quiet, with all the nice things you desire... No one will tell you to come back again and again

But if you don't want to cross, just visit any of the beaches in Badagry, as in, any one... Although it's not free, but you'll enjoy the natural aura... Very neat also and friendly individuals... What even makes it better is that they separated the part the white garment folks use, so they don't disturb your flexing... Funny enough,some of them cross over to come and flex after praying for a while

I don't even fancy going to beaches during festive periods sef... I prefer going on normal days, not when all sort of human beings are there

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by Samdaresd(m): 2:44pm On Jan 03
You are just so right! I was there on boxing day, were my expectations were high but I came back disappointed.
There was nothing to write home about the place.
I was asking myself if I were at the swimming pool of the beach?
Don't you also experience the cost of getting a seat at the beach (20k), that's too much.
They've sold everything on that beach!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by 3seriez(m): 2:44pm On Jan 03
DrAkpamudehe:

It's only in Nigeria, people pay to access beaches.... Very abnormal country . Come to Gold coast(Surfers paradise), Miami of Australia and see heaven on earth beaches

Very very abnormal country. Who pays to enter beach anywhere.
Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by hakeemhakeem(m): 2:45pm On Jan 03
Fatbam005:
Na beach concern OP upon everything way dey ground

We can't be on the same page,op was only complaining about values for money and want to enjoy his life rather than lamenting on economy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by Offpoint1: 2:46pm On Jan 03
Uchemuch:
Landmark is overrated. It is no more as it used to be in the past..... More like a past glory thing... No waves at all, and you will pay for everything at high price and not taking in even water......
I am very sure that most beach around VI don't have that natural waves anymore......it's like a swimming pool, just stagnant.... The joy of a beach is to see that waves..... Instead go for any other beach in Lekki......

Are u in Lagos? Let me take you to Landmark beach instead
Of all the beaches in Lagos I've visited, the only beach in Lagos that still have strong waves is Elegushi Beach. The rest are like man-made beaches.

La campagne Tropicana beach still remains the most beautiful.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by Chochovini: 2:51pm On Jan 03
Turquoiseee:
I’ve never been to a beach before. Who will take me? I’ll get to wear that beautiful bikini I bought and have not had the chance to use.
. Wait a min. were you the one I truely saw on your profile pix?
Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by hakeemhakeem(m): 2:54pm On Jan 03
Beverlyjean:
Even the most recent that just opened ...Good Beach..is trash... filled up with local people from ikorodu and mushin ,.. was so irritated...left there after 10mins

Why not buy a return ticket to Miami or paid for exclusive so that nobody can be at the beach it's you alone.yeye dey smell, you were surprised that what you have been contributing money since Jan low level people match up with you

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by Omoluabi16(m): 2:57pm On Jan 03
LoveJesus87:
Suntan beach?
yes. It's been a while. About 6 years.
Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by Irony1: 3:11pm On Jan 03
The Lumley Beach in Freetown is the best i have been to in West Africa, second to Gambia, as in no segmentation of the beach, you can jog across, come and see whites jogging across the full stretch of the beach. Then greed of the Obas with complicity of Lagos state government has messed up the beaches. i last went to the beach at Inagbe resort in 2017, since then it is beaches outside Nigeria i have visited.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by vincentont(m): 3:13pm On Jan 03
Enddy50ty:
If you are in Lagos and you want to enjoy the beach and it’s natural waves and vibes that comes with going to beaches, I’ll advise you don’t go to any of the beaches on Victoria Island.
Everything there is overpriced.
Just proceed to any of the beaches at Ajah and it’s environs.
Are there any beach in Ajah?
Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by bolademi(m): 3:16pm On Jan 03
Chevrolet076:
After more than 15 years since I visited a beach (Eleko beach), I anticipated seeing and having the usual beach feel of
the wide expanse of water so wide and so blue that connects to the sky as far back as your eyes can see,
hundreds of sea creatures especially crabs running back into the sea as it recedes,
the non-existence of any foreign thing like tractors, restaurant etc close to the sea... Just the traditional dishes and feel.

No roaring waves,
no cold winds,
swimming pool-like water waves and forced waves from the jet skis and boat l cruise.
Tractors everywhere with security guard threatening you if you dare to cross over to landmark side
Sand heaped on all four sides of the sea making it look like a swimming pool. Imagine a whole beach o

You can only have fun by buying overpriced things. Boat cruise at 3k, horse riding for just a short distance at 2k per person, one tiny suya at 2k, entry fẹẹ increased to 2k as well.

If not for the other families that came with football which we started playing, what would my holiday look like?

It is well. I just think not everything should be monitized and milked so it loses its natural feel.

Felt so bad for nature. The beach's sadness penetrated through my bones cry cry cry cry cry cry

Has anyone experienced this? Any idea of a good beach that is still an actual beach?
Come to barracuda beach at okun ajah
Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by gentility411(m): 3:19pm On Jan 03
DrAkpamudehe:

Pls Keep quiet, beaches are free in first world countries, and in south Africa.The only thing you pay for is parking if you decide to park at the beach car park when there are many free street parkings available.

Lolz........dis wan funny me die, dis wan na blow below d belt.!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by Juoflife1(f): 3:23pm On Jan 03
Lagos
LoveJesus87:
@ where pls?
Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by hkidola00(m): 3:28pm On Jan 03
wao thats like stagnant dirty water
ednut1:
The Eko Atlantic wall barrier has reduced that beach to stagnant water. People who swim there need their head examined .
Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by sajiwere(m): 3:28pm On Jan 03
If this way you expressed your experience is way you can talk then I fear your mouth o, your words strong bad bad 😞

Chevrolet076:

No roaring waves,
no cold winds,

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by ednut1(m): 3:29pm On Jan 03
Tzar:
Unless you are planning to surf (Nigerians rarely surf), I don't see it as a bad thing.
If the beach is marketed right, parents with YOUNG kids who don't want the raw power of the ocean attacking their kids will appreciate the CALM.
it’s stagnant water morelike which is dangerous
Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by Faposky95: 3:35pm On Jan 03
Chevrolet076:

No roaring waves,
no cold winds,

We've lost anything free especially in Lagos.
Anyway, it was good while it lasted....the kids may only get to know from folklore or books.....

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by Emmacolinho(m): 3:39pm On Jan 03
Try Barracuda beach and thank me later cool
Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by Calitoscassius(m): 3:46pm On Jan 03
I read sewages full with shits runs into the so called beach. grin
Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by Thoughty2(m): 3:46pm On Jan 03
You just said my mind. Lagos Beaches have lost its glory. I almost wept the last time I went to one Good Beach on boxing day (2023). I am sure it is the same on all beaches.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by Thoughty2(m): 3:48pm On Jan 03
Beverlyjean:
Even the most recent that just opened ...Good Beach..is trash... filled up with local people from ikorodu and mushin ,.. was so irritated...left there after 10mins

I felt the exact same way. I wanted to leave but my wife didn't want me to waste our 10k gate fee.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by AfahaAbia(m): 3:50pm On Jan 03
airsaylongcome:

None of these current beaches can come anywhere close to the memories of Bar Beach in its hey day

Exactly!!! We keep failing as a country as the years go by!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by do4luv14(m): 4:03pm On Jan 03
AfahaAbia:

Are u in Lagos? Let me take you to Landmark beach instead

pls what's the direction to landmark or the goods Beach
Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by live4ever: 4:06pm On Jan 03
DrAkpamudehe:

It's only in Nigeria, people pay to access beaches.... Very abnormal country . Come to Gold coast(Surfers paradise), Miami of Australia and see heaven on earth beaches

Just a reflection of the nature and character of the people....... Greed and "wanton Lust for Money at all costs!!!”

The people are just an true and accurate reflection of their Leaders! 🤷

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by ForUrgentSale: 4:12pm On Jan 03
Chevrolet076:

No roaring waves,
no cold winds,

la campagne beach at okegun on Ibeju lekki expressway, it is an open beach with no barriers and very solid massive waves.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by DrAkpamudehe: 4:23pm On Jan 03
Offpoint1:

Of all the beaches in Lagos I've visited, the only beach in Lagos that still have strong waves is Elegushi Beach. The rest are like man-made beaches.

La campagne Tropicana beach still remains the most beautiful.

I was at La campagne Tropicana with my family for a weekend out 2yrs ago, apart from the beach being too far from Lagos and the services there being over priced, that place is a heaven on earth. Very clean beach with a lot of waves, palm trees and monkeys just full every where, met one popular nollywood actor, IK Ogbonna who came to chill out with his Asian looking girlfriend. As he see me, na so he begins dodge.
Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by Offpoint1: 4:27pm On Jan 03
DrAkpamudehe:

I was at La campagne Tropicana with my family for a weekend out 2yrs ago, apart from the beach being too far from Lagos and the services there being over priced, that place is a heaven on earth. Very clean beach with a lot of waves, palm trees and monkeys just full every where, met one popular nollywood actor, IK Ogbonna who came to chill out with his Asian looking girlfriend. As he see me, na so he begins dodge.
It's one of the best I've visited in Lagos... You're right about the overpriced, everything is just expensive. Distance sef, it cost me 30k Tfair to and fro with Uber.
Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by DrAkpamudehe: 4:35pm On Jan 03
Offpoint1:

It's one of the best I've visited in Lagos... You're right about the overpriced, everything is just expensive. Distance sef, it cost me 30k Tfair to and fro with Uber.

It's still retains it's beauty because the resort is being managed by foreign expatriates, although it is owned by a Nigerian. Give it to Nigerians to manage, and it would become an eye sore like oniru beach

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach by Enemyofpeace: 4:36pm On Jan 03
No thanks to members of celestial church of jazz

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Xmas: Travelers Should Be Wary Of This Danger On Interstate Highways (PHOTOS) / Sergeant Kabiru Musa Returns N1.2m Found At An Accident Scene In Kano (Photos) / 20 Most Insanely Overloaded Vehicles You Will Ever See On Road

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.