Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,148 members, 7,818,449 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

Sebastian Broderick Is Dead - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sebastian Broderick Is Dead (15365 Views)

Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen / Sebastian Osigwe Tests Positive For Coronavirus / Genort Rohr Turns To Sebastian Osigwe, Swiss-born Goalkeeper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by nairalanda1(m): 8:42am On Jan 04
tommy589:

Most of them chose education ahead of a career in football

True
Back then it was harder to get into Europe (Italy had quotas on foreign players till the 1990's )., plus it was not the era of mega mega salaries yet.(Pre-Brosman).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by olisaEze(m): 8:42am On Jan 04
firearcher:

Lol. Do you know Jonathan Akpoborire?

Save your breath, Gen-Z are all opinion without knowledge. cool

2 Likes

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by naptu2: 8:44am On Jan 04
naptu2:
FIFA UNDER 17 WORLD CUP

I wrote a post a long time ago and I've just found a Twitter thread that provides another example of what I wrote in that post, but unfortunately I can no longer find my post.

Many Nigerians have weird ideas about the FIFA cadet championships and that post demonstrated how weird those ideas were.

1) Nigerians would often talk about someone that was a star at cadet level (U16 or U17), but who didn't go on to achieve success at senior level and then claim that this is proof that the person was over age. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Lots of people achieve success at cadet level, but fail to achieve the same success at senior level. Do you remember Freddy Adu, who was hailed as the next Pele when he was a teenager (Alex Ferguson spoke glowingly about him and he signed his first professional contract when he was just 14), but didn't achieve anything as a senior professional? Do you remember Florient Sinama Pongolle and Anthony Letallec, who were the stars of the French team that won the 2001 Under 17 World Cup in Trinidad and Tobago, but did not achieve anything great as seniors?

In fact, if we follow that line of thinking, then we might say that only Jonathan Akpoborire and Marcel Witeczek were under 16 in the 1985 final, because they were the only people (on both the German and Nigerian sides) that continued to achieve success more than ten years after the match. We all know that isn't true.

There are a lot of reasons why cadet stars do not achieve success at senior level and they've got nothing to do with age. Some players, who are young and overwhelmed with success, but do not know enough about the football business, sign slave contracts or bad contracts which effectively kill their football careers. Do you remember what almost happened to Christopher Ohenhen at Real Madrid before he escaped? Do you remember what almost happened to Ahmed Garba (Yaro-Yaro) before the NFA took action to block the deal?

There are also some players who become overwhelmed by early success. They think that they have arrived and stop doing what they need to so to continue to succeed.

Some players simply develop too early and burn out early.

2) And that brings me to the other issue. The people that make this argument have a habit of mentioning Nigerian cadet players that were stars at junior level, but didn't achieve success at senior level, without mentioning those that achieved long term success at senior level.

For examples, Jonathan Akpoborire played in the Golden Eaglets team that won the 1985 Under 16 World Cup in China and he was the second highest goal scorer in the 1997/1998 UEFA Cup Winners Cup competition (more than 10 years after the cadet World Cup).

Victor Ikpeba played for Nigeria at the 1989 Under 17 World Cup in Scotland and he was second highest goal scorer in the 1996/1997 UEFA Cup and he also scored lots of important goals in 1997/1998 Champions League (almost ten years after the cadet World Cup).

We all know about the successes of Jay-Jay Okocha (1993 Under 20) and Nwankwo Kanu (1993 Under 17), so I don't need to go into that.

This Twitter thread finds out what happened to members of the England team that won the 2017 Under 17 World Cup.

https://twitter.com/RyanDilks1/status/1600834688507002885

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by ENZOSCIFO1: 8:44am On Jan 04
hisexcellency34:
The labours of our heroes past. The man was sick for long and begging for help.

Where in the report did you read that he was begging for help or that he was abandoned by the govt?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by spiSeyi: 8:44am On Jan 04
DONSMITH123:

"He began his football career in 1956 when as a student, he featured for the Onitsha team in the Challenge Cup."

https://punchng.com/breaking-1985-u-17-word-cup-winning-coach-sebastian-broderick-is-dead/
This was when Nigeria was working, what has gone wrong with Nigeria recently? The man was discovered in an inter-school competition and was nurtured to become a useful hero for the country and himself. Today our football is in shambles and the NFF has become the den of thieves where the highest bidder plays for the national team. The local players were not selected for the AFCON even though some are than the current Eagles players because they didn't have enough dollars to bribe the NFF

1 Like

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by femi4: 8:46am On Jan 04
GanagiBitrus:
RIP.

Unfortunately, none of his gold-winning Eaglets made any remarkable impact at the senior level.
Ugbade
Jonathan akpoborie

1 Like

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by talkwithfobi: 8:47am On Jan 04
GanagiBitrus:
RIP.

Unfortunately, none of his gold-winning Eaglets made any remarkable impact at the senior level.

Nduka Ugbade
Jonathan Akpaboire
Etc
femi4:
Ugbade
Jonathan akpoborie

1 Like

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by naptu2: 8:49am On Jan 04
1997-1998 Cup Winners' Cup: VfB Stuttgart Goals (Road to the Final)

Akpoborire and Bobic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjq4BSfHAVM?si=i4jAzUuN2obRTNUq
Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by gaskiyamagana: 8:50am On Jan 04
GanagiBitrus:
RIP.

Indomine generation comment.

2 Likes

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by Urgent1Million: 8:52am On Jan 04
May his soul rest in peace
Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by naptu2: 8:54am On Jan 04
1997/98 UEFA Cup Winners Cup highest goalscorers

1 Like

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:56am On Jan 04
naptu2:
May his soul rest in peace.

I watched them train on my field before they went to the World Championship in 1985. It was an Under 16 championship back then.
domor Sir!

1 Like

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by GanagiBitrus: 8:56am On Jan 04
firearcher:

Lol. Do you know Jonathan Akpoborire?
Yes. Akpoborire was average - not remarkable or outstanding, for a player that conquered the world at u17.
Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by naptu2: 8:59am On Jan 04
They'll start shifting the goalpost. grin

1 Like

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by ppogba: 9:00am On Jan 04
GanagiBitrus:

Maybe you should check up the meaning of REMARKABLE. smiley
U

REMARKABLE: Worthy of being remarked or noticed; noticeable, conspicuous.

If Playing top flight football in the German league for YEARS, playing for years in the national team of Nigeria is not remarkable then I do not owe anybody who takes joy in denigrating the achievements of others with a stupid, I'll informed comment on a faceless forum an explanation.

Learn not to bamboozle others with your limited knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by Burgerlomo: 9:03am On Jan 04
RIP sir
Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by naptu2: 9:03am On Jan 04
And being the second highest goalscorer in a UEFA competition, getting to the final of that competition and being the highest goalscorer in your club is not remarkable, then remarkable has gotten a new meaning.

ppogba:
U

If Playing top flight football in the German league for YEARS, playing for years in the national team of Nigeria is not remarkable then I do not owe anybody who takes joy in denigrating the achievements of others with a stupid, I'll informed comment on a faceless forum an explanation.

1 Like

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by ppogba: 9:08am On Jan 04
naptu2:
And being the second highest goalscorer in a UEFA competition, getting to the final of that competition and being the highest goalscorer in your club is not remarkable, then remarkable has gotten a new meaning.

Maybe we should wait for the new meaning from our e- professor.
The way people just jump on topics here in Nairaland with I'll informed opinion is sickening.

You people that are " close to the management" should help us do something.
Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by ppogba: 9:11am On Jan 04
gaskiyamagana:

Indomine generation comment.

With all due respect to indomie generation, some of them will not make such.

Rather, you can call it village square analyst comment.
Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by GanagiBitrus: 9:11am On Jan 04
ppogba:
U

No need for long epistle.
If I ask you to mention notable (remarkable) S/Eagles players, will you mention Akpoborire.
Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by naptu2: 9:14am On Jan 04
⬆️ That question has already been answered right here on this thread. Just look at the number of people that have mentioned him.
Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by naptu2: 9:15am On Jan 04
1996, 1997, 1998, Jonathan Akpoborire and Victor Ikpeba were the Nigerians that were lighting up Europe with goals in those seasons.

Akpoborire & Bobic, Ikpeba & Anderson.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by ppogba: 9:19am On Jan 04
GanagiBitrus:

No need for long epistle.
If I ask you to mention notable (remarkable) S/Eagles players, will you mention Akpoborire.

What a good way to crawl into your " hole of shame".
Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by fuke(m): 9:28am On Jan 04
Sebestian Broderick broke my heart in the 1972 replayed
Challenge Cup final in Ibadan, the first leg in Lagos
having ended in pandemonium.

Ikedi and another player had scored early, only for Olayiwola to level up for
Mighty Jets in a team parading mercurial Garuba Okoye and lanky defender
Ismala Mabo not forgetting the rock, Victor Oduah, no 5 for Bendel Insurance.

Then the free kick to be taken by Broderick who was known for his deceptive curved freekicks.

The stadium was like a graveard as the stocky Sebestian set the ball down.

Off went the ball to the left of goalkeeper Lawandi only for the ball to swerve
back and wham in the net.

Adiue Sebestian.

2 Likes

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by Dpharisee: 9:38am On Jan 04
GanagiBitrus:
RIP.

See as you dey disgrace yourself with ignorance in public, no be every matter children dey put mouth, grin
Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by GanagiBitrus: 9:39am On Jan 04
ppogba:

What a good way to crawl into your " hole of shame".
See, you couldn't even answer the simple question I asked you & you resorted to insults. smiley

When you talk of notable /remarkable S/Eagles players, you have the likes of Christian Chukwu, Keshi, Yekini, Odegbami, Okocha, Kanu, Rufai, Amokachi, Finidi, Amuneke, Osimhen...

Even Ahmed Musa was far more impactful than your Akpoborire. smiley
Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by GanagiBitrus: 9:46am On Jan 04
Dpharisee:

See as you dey disgrace yourself with ignorance in public, no be every matter children dey put mouth, grin
Make I follow you laugh grin
But you are actually the ignorant kid disgracing yourself in public if you cannot mention one player from that squad that remarkably impacted the S/Eagles. smiley
Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by naptu2: 9:47am On Jan 04
Didn't I say it?

naptu2:
They'll start shifting the goalpost. grin
Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by TruthinAction: 10:53am On Jan 04
naptu2:

At club level, Johnny (Jonathan Akpoborire) did wonderful things with Stuttgart in the late 1990s. He was the second highest goalscorer in the UEFA Cup Winners Cup and he got to the Cup Winners Cup final where they lost to Chelsea. He formed a fantastic partnership with Fredy Bobic and he was Stuttgart's highest goalscorer in one of those seasons. They also won the German Cup (obviously).

At National team level, Nduka Ugbade played in that Flying Eagles team that got to the final of the U20 World Cup in 1989. He scored a goal in the Miracle of Damman.

He also scored for the Super Eagles in the Nations Cup qualifier against Ethiopia in 1993 or 1994. He was a member of the team that won the 1994 African Nations Cup.

Please, tell them. Most Nairalanders were either babies in 1985 or were not yet born.
Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by Konquest: 12:04pm On Jan 04
DONSMITH123:

https://punchng.com/breaking-1985-u-17-word-cup-winning-coach-sebastian-broderick-is-dead/
Sebastian Brodericks... The end of a lifecycle.
I remember the role he played in winning the FIFA Under-17 World Cup in 1985.

Nigeria’s “China 1985” Squad

Name
1 Lucky AGBONSEVAFE
2 Tenworimi DUERE
3 Nduka UGBADE
4 Fatai ATERE
5 Binabei NUMA
6 Kingsley AIKHIONBORE
7 Salisu NAKADE
8 Sani ADAMU
9 Jonathan AKPOBORIE
10 Victor IGBINOBA
11 Billa MOMOH
12 Imama AMAPAKABOR
13 Bauldwin BAZUAYE
14 Joseph BABATUNDE
15 Chukwuma NWOHA
16 Mohamed YAHAYA
17 Hilary ADIKI
18 Dele ABUBAKAR

Coach: Sebastian BRODERICKS-IMASUEN (NGA)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sebastian Broderick Is Dead by Konquest: 12:26pm On Jan 04
naptu2:
May his soul rest in peace.

I watched them train on my field before they went to the World Championship in 1985. It was an Under 16 championship back then.
Indeed. It's the end of an iconic sports era with the translation of Coach Sebastian Brodericks.

First off, Happy New Year (2024) @Naptu2.
I wish YOU the best, and more power to your elbows as you give us more insights and historic updates via your NL threads.

Whoa! 1985... Unforgettable!

Sebastine Brodericks-Imasuen, led the iconic Golden Eaglets to win the inaugural U-17 World Cup in 1985. The captain of the team Nduka Ugbade from Ugbodu (in Aniocha North) in the defunct Bendel State (now Delta State) and his fellow teammates were simply stellar. It felt like the senior world cup was won at that time in 1985 as millions of us sat glued to the TV screens watching that final soccer match being beamed live from China.

The last I heard was that Nduka Ugbade was working with the elite Corona Schools in Agbara, as a top coach. It's good to know that many from that 1985 set are still alive and spread all over the world.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ismaily Eliminated From CAF Champions League For Violent Conduct / Man Utd Target Milinkovic-savic As Potential Replacement For Pogba / Francisca Ordega Scores On Debut In China.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.