Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation (20697 Views)

₦37.1bn Fraud: Why I Shunned EFCC's Invitation - Farouq / Hafsat Ganduje Shuns EFCC Invitation Over Alleged Fraud Reported By Son / Saraki, Okorocha’s Alleged Fraud: CJ Shuns Efcc’s Bid To Transfer Cases (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by chokekachy: 8:29pm On Jan 03
Former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development, Sadiya Umar-Farouq, on Wednesday, shunned an invitation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission probing the N37.1bn allegedly laundered during her tenure in office through a contractor, James Okwete.

Umar-Farouq kept interrogators waiting for over eight hours on Wednesday without an official communication to the commission as to why she didn’t honour the invitation.

The PUNCH reports that the former minister was asked to appear before investigators at the EFCC headquarters, Jabi, Abuja on Wednesday, January 3, 2024, at about 10:00 am, to give an account of the alleged fraud that took place under her watch, a document exclusively seen by our correspondent on Saturday revealed.

However, our correspondent who was at the EFCC headquarters from 9 am to 6.30 pm confirmed that the former minister did not show up at the anti-graft agency’s office for interrogation.

An interrogator, who spoke with our correspondent on condition of anonymity, said the interrogation team had to close from work at about 6pm when they were certain that the former minister was not going to show up.

“We just closed from work now because she didn’t show up today, and it’s 6pm already. It’s certain that she’s never going to show up today,” the source said.

Our correspondent who monitored development at the EFCC headquarters reported that journalists besieged the office in expectation of Umar-Farouq’s arrival.

The PUNCH had earlier exclusively reported that the EFCC invited the former minister to answer questions concerning an ongoing investigation into an alleged ₦37.1bn fraud uncovered in the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs.

The document partly read, “The commission is investigating a case of money laundering involving the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development during your time as Minister.

“In view of the above, you are requested to kindly report for an interview with the undersigned. Scheduled as follows: Wednesday, January 3, 2024. 10:00 am. This request is made pursuant to Section 38 (I) of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (Establishment) Act 2004 and Section 21 of Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011.”

The ex-minister could not be reached for comments on Saturday.

Also, when our correspondent contacted her former media aide, Nneka Ikem, over the development, she was evasive.

“As you’re asking me I’ll be asking you too, where did you learn from that the EFCC had invited her?” Ikem asked before ending the call.

Meanwhile, Umar-Farouq had earlier denied knowing the contractor, Okwete, who is still being held by the EFCC.

Responding to the development in a tweet on Monday, Umar-Farouq said, “There have been a number of reports linking me to a purported investigation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission into the activities of one James Okwete, someone completely unknown to me.

“James Okwete neither worked for, nor represented me in any way whatsoever. The linkages and associations to my person are spurious. While I resist the urge to engage in any media trial whatsoever, I have however contacted my Legal Team to explore possible options to seek redress on the malicious attack on my person.

“I remain proud to have served my country as a Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria with every sense of responsibility and would defend my actions, stewardship and programmes during my tenure whenever I am called upon to do so.”

The spokesperson for the EFCC, Dele Oyewale, declined comments.

“I’m not around at the moment, and I can’t speak on that, please,” Oyewale said.

Sunday PUNCH reported that the EFCC arrested Okwete in connection with the ongoing probe into the N37.1bn allegedly laundered by the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development under the former minister, Umar-Farouq.

A top EFCC official, who confided in our correspondent on Sunday, said the contractor had made useful statements concerning Umar-Farouq and former director-generals of the ministry.

The development coincides with the probe of three other ministers, who served under former President Muhammadu Buhari, for graft estimated at N150bn.

“It is not only Umar-Farouq we are investigating. Three other former ministers are also under probe. They were allegedly involved in graft to the tune of N150bn,’’ a credible source in the EFCC had confided in our correspondent.

Umar-Farouq was the pioneer Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development.

She was appointed by former President Muhammadu Buhari in July 2019.

https://punchng.com/breaking-n37-1bn-fraud-buharis-minister-shuns-efcc-invitation/?amp

3 Likes

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Thundafireseun: 8:32pm On Jan 03
EFCC the Toothless bulldog that only grow fangs when they see young rich boys

I can bet that this news will be swept under the carpet , same way Akpabio’s case was swept under the dusty rug

I wish I was the minister for Thunder

73 Likes 11 Shares

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Georgry(m): 8:35pm On Jan 03
cheesy
Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Babangidapikin: 8:41pm On Jan 03
Hope she never cross enter Somalia ...
Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by matify83: 8:50pm On Jan 03
And nothing will happen.

Even the efcc is reluctant in investigating the woman.

How can you claim to have fed children during covid lockdown in their houses.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by dynicks(m): 8:53pm On Jan 03
MAY NIGERIA NEVER HAPPEN TO ANYONE ought to be everyone's wish and prayer!!.

40 Likes

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Ola9ja23: 8:59pm On Jan 03
Wrath of law will catch up with her soon

The curses on her head is too heavy for her to escape

Werey woman

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by reiddecuti: 9:24pm On Jan 03
Nothing!!! And I say nothing will happen to that woman. She's a walking free person. The system is guilty of corruption as she is so have no locus standi against her.

NB: If we want the system work, we know what to do, but for now let's keep making noise and play around to while away time.

44 Likes 6 Shares

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by ACRI: 9:24pm On Jan 03
All animals are not equal after all

11 Likes

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by inoki247: 9:26pm On Jan 03
Lol Dizeani na her role model....

Make she go meet her for UK...

2 Likes

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Hyperdulia: 9:27pm On Jan 03
Same EFCC that invited her for questioning would have collected brown envelope from her and tell now not.to show up. What is a country that is governed by Comedians

15 Likes

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Godjone(m): 9:27pm On Jan 03
grin
One of the most useless president Nigeria ever produced. A wheelbarrow pusher will be a better president than Buhari

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Jking20(m): 9:28pm On Jan 03
Shameful country...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by gloryman91: 9:28pm On Jan 03
Diezeina second cross boarder fast.

1 Like

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Goodday55: 9:28pm On Jan 03
With this action, if you don't get it, forget about it

8 Likes

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by henlooma80: 9:29pm On Jan 03
What a man can do,a woman can do Better.

1 Like

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Rodimi20000000: 9:30pm On Jan 03
Cool
Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Bullet01(f): 9:30pm On Jan 03
Nawa o. Some Nigerias are bigger than the law

2 Likes

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by bewisemasses: 9:31pm On Jan 03
Its daily becoming difficult ti make money in Nigeria without committing sin.

4 Likes

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Franking: 9:33pm On Jan 03
The fight against corruption has continued to be a joke under successive governments. Confirms that Nigeria's problem is actually Nigerians in general.

1 Like

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Freepalestine: 9:36pm On Jan 03
If Tinubu could put this thieving bitch behind bars(Prison) I swear to God what so eva bad,he will do from now to next year he’s forgiven already walahi.
I hate this shegiya(bitch) with passion.

3 Likes

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Melagros(m): 9:37pm On Jan 03
This stupid woman will see it as a witch hunt
Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Zico5(m): 9:41pm On Jan 03
The level of mismanagement under Buhari regime is just something else. That Sadiya of a woman is just a definition of corruption. Others like Minister of Justice, Aviation, Chief of staff should be investigated. They really destroyed this country.

6 Likes

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Flame333: 9:42pm On Jan 03
Buhari brought his own from North, This current government have his own from calabar abi na akwa ibom...

Patience Etteh renovated wardrobe with 600 mil, Deziani be like Abacha, now this one and more to come..

You still dey trust woman

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Mosba: 9:43pm On Jan 03
Well done, EFCC go fit scared some people but not those who know them better, kikikikikiki Nigeria has lost every iota of respect chai!

1 Like

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Trustedpronet: 9:48pm On Jan 03
dynicks:
MAY NIGERIA NEVER HAPPEN TO ANYONE ought to be everyone's wish and prayer!!.

Rather " May Nigeria Government style of leadership never happen to anyone'" nothing is wrong with Nigeria except the leaders

3 Likes

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by LibertyRep: 9:51pm On Jan 03
One of the issues Nigerians have with the woman is the fund expended on the school feeding program, even during the sit at home period.

Now the current government is planning 100B Naira for the same program.

4 Likes

Re: N37.1bn Fraud: Buhari’s Minister Shuns EFCC Invitation by Enemyofpeace: 9:53pm On Jan 03
Na Buhari's babe. She is untouchable. Touching her is blasphemy

Prettygirl200 show your face

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Didn’t Sign Budget Without Details – Obasanjo / Reno Omokri's Facts Versus Fiction: The True Story Of The Jonathan Years Trends / June 12: Tinubu's 2021 Democracy Day Message

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.