Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,388 members, 7,812,148 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:04 AM

I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba (46366 Views)

I Quit My Lagos Hotel Manager Job, Relocated To Abuja For Green Pasture -Emenalo / Why Youths Should Better Work For Someone - Vincent Adeoba / Vincent Izunna And Valentine Ewudo: Twin Brothers Who Are Both Nurses In US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by QuinModah(f): 9:41am On Jan 04
I relocated to the U.S. to start my career again after a short stint transitioning into a full-time entrepreneur, and the experience has been a lifetime experience. It was a fast-tripartite transition from a senior associate at PwC Nigeria to CEO and co-founder at Transtura to an experienced associate at PwC New York, all in one year.

We launched Transtura with a deep conviction that it was what my co-founders and I wanted. We saw a huge gap in the informal transportation value chain in Lagos State, and just like every entrepreneur, we wanted to do something about it. That is our configuration as entrepreneurs; we actively seek opportunities to solve problems.

We began to notice that the product would fail a few months after we launched, but luckily, we didn’t test the deepness of the water with both legs. The challenges were beyond what we could have foreseen. I did a SWOT analysis to identify weaknesses and threats before we launched, but I underestimated the severity of the threats in my analysis.

The challenges were enormous and unsurmountable, from NURTW to LASTMA, the Taskforce, and the Lagos State Ministry of Transportation. It was like everyone wanted us to fail for a reason best known to them. We suddenly realized that the NURTW is more powerful than we thought. Their unholy romance with the Lagos Government makes them believe they can get away with anything.

At a point, over 20% of our daily revenue was going to the NURTW, and we still couldn’t operate without unnecessary interruption. There were days our buses were impounded for hours with passengers inside, and we had to make huge payments before the buses were released. Not to mention the number of times our drivers were assaulted and our buses vandalized by faceless members of the union. The police couldn’t do anything after we made several reports on the incidents.

Nigerian leaders need to understand that Nigeria cannot become a prosperous country by making it impossible for young people who want to contribute to succeed. Those who told us we would fail were right, but I am happy we tried to succeed.

This post is not about giving excuses for a failed product but to encourage young people and entrepreneurs like myself who have failed to understand that there is nothing wrong in failing, especially if you fail forward.

After the not-too-good experience, I dusted my resume and started applying for roles in the Big 4 in the U.S. and I was fortunate to get an offer from PwC New York. The ability to get up from failure is the most defining attribute of every successful person.

As you start the new year, my encouragement to you is not to be afraid to start again. I challenge you to put those failures behind you and use them as a launchpad for your success. I dare you to dream again, and don’t allow your failures to be the reason you will never succeed.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/vincentadeoba_i-relocated-to-the-us-to-start-my-career-activity-7147910125452722176-XJbJ

113 Likes 9 Shares

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by Ireportlive: 10:21am On Jan 04
cool

The ability to get up from failure is the most defining attribute of every successful person.

A qoute from my favorite book

Outwitting the devil

To better explain NURTW model of revenue collection for LGA and LASG and why Government deliberately employed agberos

1: When Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR took over office as Lagos State Governor in 1999, his first major challenge was insecurity, hoodlums, pickpocket, youthful unemployment

2: Tinubu needed a way to get millions of idle youth engaged in a way that skilled and unskilled, educated and uneducated youth would have something doing

3: while other state used local government Officials as revenue collectors at motor parks, Tinubu printed bulk tickets, hackney permits and other levies.

4: the Tickets are sold at reduced price to those Agberos and they are sold to Drivers in each park..

5: Government makes high IGR, Agbero makes gain from ticketing, Drivers pay their levy from the comfort of the road

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by ednut1(m): 12:08pm On Jan 04
When i saw he started a company on LinkedIn and got funding i was happy for him. Was in Nigeria late 2022 expected to see his buses at Oniru/VI axis but didn’t see any. I was wondering wetin dey sup. Moral of the story- any business Nigerian government or politicians have vested Interest in avoid it.

135 Likes 19 Shares

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by johnog4sure: 3:52pm On Jan 04
[quote author=QuinModah post=127771069][/quote]I respect you, more wins

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by johnog4sure: 3:54pm On Jan 04
ednut1:
When i saw he started a company on LinkedIn and got funding i was happy for him. Was in Nigeria late 2022 expected to see his buses at Oniru/VI axis but didn’t see any. I was wondering wetin dey sup. Moral of the story- any business Nigerian government or politicians have vested Interest in avoid it.
You very correct, guy I had type before I noticed its Ednut1, your comments are always sensible, God bless you

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by QuinModah(f): 3:55pm On Jan 04
wink
johnog4sure:
I respect you, more wins
Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by LikeAking: 4:16pm On Jan 04
[quote author=QuinModah post=127771069][/quote]

Some people are so lucky..

Others have not worked ever since the graded, some have changed many jobs and japaad.

She is blessed..

Nice!

5 Likes

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by franchasofficia: 5:30pm On Jan 04
ednut1:
Chinedu abi Tunde, you no go kill somebody one day cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by jesmond3945: 5:58pm On Jan 04
franchasofficia:
Chinedu abi Tunde, you no go kill somebody one day cheesy
tunde point of correction.

17 Likes

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by id4sho(m): 6:25pm On Jan 04
Mc oloumo gangs shocked

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by Pussyisgud: 10:14pm On Jan 04
Ireportlive:
cool

The ability to get up from failure is the most defining attribute of every successful person.

A qoute from my favorite book

Outwitting the devil

To better explain NURTW model of revenue collection for LGA and LASG and why Government deliberately employed agberos

1: When Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR took over office as Lagos State Governor in 1999, his first major challenge was insecurity, hoodlums, pickpocket, youthful unemployment

2: Tinubu needed a way to get millions of idle youth engaged in a way that skilled and unskilled, educated and uneducated youth would have something doing

No be you wey dem accuse of rape?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by Pojomojo: 7:48am On Jan 05
id4sho:
Mc oloumo gangs shocked
Uber beat them to it. Maybe he didn't use technology properly.

3 Likes

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by id4sho(m): 8:00am On Jan 05
Pojomojo:
Uber beat them to it. Maybe he didn't use technology properly.
Branded cars na wahala undecided

4 Likes

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by Pojomojo: 8:54am On Jan 05
id4sho:

Branded cars na wahala undecided
How? Bolt is branded

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by ShenTeh(m): 9:38am On Jan 05
God bless your hustle.

The whole Nigerian system is rigged to make anyone fail, no matter who you are, what you believe or what age you are.

Again, I say that includes everyone, even the office of the president is designed to make the president fail.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by oluztx: 9:38am On Jan 05
Why are you running away after voting Tinubbu? Some of you Yorubaa that voted Buhari and Tinubuu should be banned from leaving this country. You must enjoy the nonsense you voted for out of tribalism.

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by maxiuc(m): 9:39am On Jan 05
cheesy
Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by coldsummer: 9:40am On Jan 05
It will be worth it. Reach out if you need any support
Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by EmperorTolson: 9:40am On Jan 05
Are we copying and pasting LinkedIn posts for the Nairaland front page now cos there are thousands of posts to be copied?

Nairaland is gradually reducing to nothing less.

3 Likes

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by BodyCount: 9:40am On Jan 05
grin
Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by sylve11: 9:41am On Jan 05
Hmmm cool
Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by Timoleon(m): 9:42am On Jan 05
Most of it reeks of complaints about a failed product really.

What businesses does your company have with NURTW? As a 'senior associate' with Pwc, you and your colleagues ought to know that your profit actually comes from cutting out the NURTW from your operations.

Good luck to you in your new sojourn.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by Corrections: 9:42am On Jan 05
jesmond3945:

Point of corrections………… cool cool

2 Likes

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by omoredia: 9:43am On Jan 05
If u supported Emi Lo Kan it will never be welI with u anywhere u run to. Wicked people!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by Corrections: 9:43am On Jan 05
jesmond3945:

Point of corrections………… cool cool
Re: I Relocated To US To Start My Career Again - Vincent Adeoba by oluwaseyi0: 9:44am On Jan 05
business ain't for the faint hearted in Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Categories Of Jobs That Can Decrease Your Life Span / Drama In The Office As I Tender My Resignation After Getting A New Job. / 5 Solid Advantages Of Marrying A Nurse.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.