Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,087 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:54 AM

N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo (19267 Views)

CCB Invites Tunji-Ojo Over Alleged N438m Contract Scam / Another Minister, Tunji-ojo Fingered In Another N438m Fraud. / Adebayo Shittu On NYSC Scandal: I Don't Have Fake Certificate Like Kemi Adeosun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by santaclaws: 10:08am On Jan 09
Eriokanmi:
A shareholder in a limited liability company is also a director. The company in question isn't a PLC. The laws are clear. Good luck to him as he struggles to defend himself

To the best of my knowledge, an LTD can have 2 to 50 shareholders, so you cannot claim that if a limited company has 20 shareholders for instance, they all have executive roles... So not all shareholders are directors in a company, whether a PLC or a limited company.

By the way, if he is involved in any way, I hope the law takes its course just like he also mentioned. The fact remains that he's the best performing minister right now and it'd be a shame to lose someone like him.

2 Likes

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by seunmsg(m): 10:10am On Jan 09
LordAdam16:

E don reach Yoruba man now, e don turn "go and suspend him now".
Na una turn now, do as una like.

-Lord

To bigots, it’s always about tribalism and not the truth. Someone did absolutely nothing wrong and violated no single rule but he must be suspended because you hate his tribe. Tueh!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by iswallker(m): 10:18am On Jan 09
seunmsg:

The part in bold is not allowed because it brings conflict of interest. The permanent Secretary is the chairman of the ministry’s tenders board so if a company he’s a shareholder of bids for contract in that same ministry, he will have to disclose it in line with public procurement act and recuse himself as the chairman of the tenders board because of conflict of interest. Again, PS are civil servants who rise from service. They are ordinarily not expected to own companies even though they can buy shares in public limited liability companies.

Political office holders are elected or appointed. The law recognizes that they were doing something before their appointment or election so they simply require them to step aside from the management of whatever business they were doing before. The law does not require the business to die or stop operating because the founder is now a political office again.

Again, Peter Obi was a shareholder in Fidelity bank before becoming governor. He did not sell his shares in fidelity bank and the bank kept doing business with Anambra state government throughout his tenure. He even brought in directors from the bank to serve as commissioners and later governor of the state. Atiku Abubakar was the largest shareholder in Intels in 1999. When he was elected as Vice President, Atiku did not sell his shares at Intels and the company worked for Federal government for the 8 years that Atiku was the vice president. So, what’s all the noise this time around? Did foreigners laugh at us when Peter Obi was investing state funds in family business?

Finally, the company in question is a legal entity distinct from the minister. The minister is the minister for interior and not the minister for humanitarian affairs. The minister for interior is not involved whatsoever in the procurement process of ministry of humanitarian affairs so there is no conflict of interest whatsoever. The company has the right to exist and do business legally with government agencies under the public procurement act in as much as no conflict of interest is involved in the process.

It's just too early for a company in which he claims to be a shareholder to be taking contracts from sister ministries ....

He claims not to be involved in the day to day running but he knows that due process was followed in awarding the contract..

By the way who are the directors in this company...

If this happened in china this guy won't be seen for a long time in public ... If he is ever seen again..

If they started out with half a billion this early imagine how many trillions a company he is a shareholder would have collected before a four year tenure expires ...

1 Like

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by LordAdam16: 10:26am On Jan 09
seunmsg:

To bigots, it’s always about tribalism and not the truth. Someone did absolutely nothing wrong and violated no single rule but he must be suspended because you hate his tribe. Tueh!

It is tribalism when you cannot back the same process because the culprit is from your tribe.
Suspend Tunji. Perform a thorough investigation.
If he's not found wanting, he'd be reinstated.

Why is it proper for Betta from the SS.
But not for Tunji from the SW.

-Lord
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by blaise26abj(m): 10:31am On Jan 09
starstaz:

Conflict of interest is at play here. Inside Job contract, by the way ,are u aware of this job proposition or a slight peek. Who told you a common man like me is not interested in this kind of contract provided it is Legitimate. If you think there is nothing wrong for a sitting Minister in a govt to deep his hand in a dirty scandal like this, so be it. We see things from different angle.

It was a consultancy job , his company was taken alongside many others . I can’t say he didn’t influence it . Also conflict of interest arises if the company gets jobs in his own ministry . Just like Obi and the brewery saga. ( all politicians are the same )

2 Likes

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Odidigboigbo(m): 10:44am On Jan 09
TimeManager:
Baba, just focus and leave detractors and blackmailers, they must be stupid to think they could bring down every performing minister as they did Betta. By the time DSS starts picking them up one after another, they'd be alright.

-kiss the truth!

Baba, to best of my knowledge, Zenith Bank and UBA are not being run by Jim Ovia and Tony Elumelu respectively for more than 12 years now, could you say they are not the owners of the Banks? Who takes the lion share of the profits made by the company, were he is the biggest shareholder, as the founder of the company?
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by CorrectionFLuid: 10:45am On Jan 09
seunmsg:

You read clearly where he said he resigned five years ago and you’re still asking this silly question. He even brought the company resulting endorsing his resignation and the certified true copy of his CAC document accepting his removal as director of the company since 2019 to the program. So, what else are you looking for?

If the man's name was Peter Obi, and the company name is Hero, you'd be rapping a different lyric.

2 Likes

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Eriokanmi: 10:54am On Jan 09
santaclaws:

To the best of my knowledge, an LTD can have 2 to 50 shareholders, so you cannot claim that if a limited company has 20 shareholders for instance, they all have executive roles... So not all shareholders are directors in a company, whether a PLC or a limited company.

By the way, if he is involved in any way, I hope the law takes its course just like he also mentioned. The fact remains that he's the best performing minister right now and it'd be a shame to lose someone like him.
You talk like a novice. Let me educate you. I own businesses, which is LTD and I'm a shareholder to some banks and oil companies. I bought them years back. In a LTD liability coy, which is privately owned, you're not permitted to sell shares to the public . Your shares are limited only to the amount contributed to the company, in which case you're also a director. You don't earn dividends on the shares. What you earn is either profit or loss whuch is where Ojo fuckedd up. Once the company folds up, you lose all that you've contributed as a director or call it a shareholder if you like.

If I want to run for a public office tomorrow, my shares in a public liability company(PlC) won't debar me from running for any office . But if I run a LTD company as a shareholder or a director, I need to approach my team and ask them to remove my name. They'd go to CAC and notify them as well. I hope I've educated you enough.

1 Like

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Eriokanmi: 10:57am On Jan 09
247man:

From what i read, he did resign in 2019.
then, end of story if he truly did. But if his name is still there despite his resignation and the Co directors didn't meet the CAC for amendment of Memo and Articles of Association, na dem kill the career of minister Ojo. There's no ignorance in law.

1 Like

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by faceland: 11:02am On Jan 09
Bobloco:
The biggest shareholder you mean

Then you are culpable

Kindly throw in the towel now and submit yourself at the nearest EFCC office

He is insulting our intelligence; he changed the purpose of the company to be used for money laundering and has all his alibis set from the first day he got into public service.

My guy chop 350+ million naira just to verify beneficiaries and give Betta advice.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Goodiep: 11:15am On Jan 09
as a big shareholder in every organisaton, you will scout for customers to shore up your stake, so you part of the investors so you have a case
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by bitbillionaire: 11:46am On Jan 09
adioolayi:
It's really a dicey one..

This fine minister seems to have broken "public code of conduct" if there is anything like that. sad

It is almost impossible to say the company didn't win that contract because of his influence..the mere mentioning of his name alone can influence the decision to award that contract to this company...hence, he has technically influenced that contract

The bolded are the points some people don't get. First, he is the founder of the company and he admitted that. He admitted he is a shareholder in the said company and I can bet he must be the biggest shareholder. Of course, he could appoint people who would protect his interest like his wife and children as directors and signatories to the account of the company; meaning he still control the company indirectly.

Let's not forget that the amount paid as consultancy fee to the company is crazy (close to half a billion!). It's possible the amount was inflated because of his influence.

His saving grace may be that his ministry was not the one that awarded the contract. Even at that, the contract need to be investigated to find out whether due process was followed or not.

1 Like

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by ChiefOkporghe: 11:52am On Jan 09
seunmsg:

The part in bold is not allowed because it brings conflict of interest. The permanent Secretary is the chairman of the ministry’s tenders board so if a company he’s a shareholder of bids for contract in that same ministry, he will have to disclose it in line with public procurement act and recuse himself as the chairman of the tenders board because of conflict of interest. Again, PS are civil servants who rise from service. They are ordinarily not expected to own companies even though they can buy shares in public limited liability companies.

Political office holders are elected or appointed. The law recognizes that they were doing something before their appointment or election so they simply require them to step aside from the management of whatever business they were doing before. The law does not require the business to die or stop operating because the founder is now a political office again.

Again, Peter Obi was a shareholder in Fidelity bank before becoming governor. He did not sell his shares in fidelity bank and the bank kept doing business with Anambra state government throughout his tenure. He even brought in directors from the bank to serve as commissioners and later governor of the state. Atiku Abubakar was the largest shareholder in Intels in 1999. When he was elected as Vice President, Atiku did not sell his shares at Intels and the company worked for Federal government for the 8 years that Atiku was the vice president. So, what’s all the noise this time around? Did foreigners laugh at us when Peter Obi was investing state funds in family business?

Finally, the company in question is a legal entity distinct from the minister. The minister is the minister for interior and not the minister for humanitarian affairs. The minister for interior is not involved whatsoever in the procurement process of ministry of humanitarian affairs so there is no conflict of interest whatsoever. The company has the right to exist and do business legally with government agencies under the public procurement act in as much as no conflict of interest is involved in the process.

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by seunjungle1(m): 12:35pm On Jan 09
How many politicians had ever resigned their share portion because of politics in Nigeria and even the world?
Even your master Obi should be in jail now for the same reason that took Betta to EFCC

Racoon:
Did he resigned as shareholder before taking government appointment? If not he is culpriable too. Paddy paddy government.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by teepain: 12:57pm On Jan 09
aribisala0:

It sounds fishy but when you say NOT ALLOWED

You need to educate us

NO LAW NO CRIME
Has he broken any rules
If he has not should we be making new rules to clarify things ?? Maybe

Is there a law that you can cite in Nigeria or any other country that outlaws this today??

Your analogy of permanent secretary is off key because that would be a direct conflict of interest

Being in the same government is not enough unless there is a demonstrated conflict of interest. or evidence that he influenced the award of the contract

If a lawyer becomes an Attorney general or Minister like Keyamo does that mean his Firm is no longer entitled to government work? It may sound fishy but what is needed is explicit rules not online moralizing

What is important here is to ask questions about the naturre of the contract and whether it was executed properly

A contract is not a sin or something dirty

When Tony Blair was Prime Minister. His wife was a Barrister getting government briefs. Was she to cease that because her Husband was Prime Minister

The real questions are was the contract thrown open to the public properly and did the government get value for the money paid out?

You make a lot of sense. One of the challenges that Nigerians have is the inability to distill issues. There is this tendency to want to crucify people based on their political affiliations. In my opinion, while it looks fishy, this man hasn't done anything wrong in my opinion except further material disclosures are made as to his involvement. Until then what we have are only suspicions, perhaps because of the antecedents of the average Nigerian politician.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Nfora: 1:17pm On Jan 09
What a scandal !

Shareholders are the real owners of a company, with absolute rights to all profits of the company.

Those who think performance is an excuse for corruption, are probably sick in the head!
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Odogwuzack: 1:43pm On Jan 09
onosbaba3310:

Yes and tunji also, because you criticised obi for "saving" Anambra's money in Fidelity bank, simply because he was a share holder, na you are defending tunji😅😅

Tunji did not award the contract to himself. He's not the minister of humanitarian affairs

That is why his case is still fair compared to Obi. grin
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Odogwuzack: 1:46pm On Jan 09
nedekid:

What has Obi got to do with this issue at hand, the wanton sharing, looting of money meant for social intervention of poor Nigerians.
Why are you easily distracted?
It seems you may be naive of the severity of the issue.

https://saharareporters.com/2024/01/08/how-company-owned-tinubus-interior-minister-olubunmi-tunji-ojo-got-n438million

It has everything to do with Obi because you Obidients suffer from selective justice.

You want to kill one thief while you defend another thief like Obi that practically did worse with your life. grin
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by AerialMapper: 1:47pm On Jan 09
Odogwuzack:

You clearly can't give what you don't have. grin

Absolutely correct! I don't have your time so I can't give you anymore of that.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by nedekid: 1:59pm On Jan 09
Odogwuzack:

It has everything to do with Obi because you Obidients suffer from selective justice.

You want to kill one thief while you defend another thief like Obi that practically did worse with your life. grin
What is my business with Obi? To hell with Obi for all I care. It is the hight of immaturity, pettiness, simple mindedness to link a politician that lost office and not in power to the current misadventures of officials of the government in place.
As per someone doing worse for my life, I will ignore that as I know some Nigerians have mouth and speak above their pay grade.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by wealthyvic1: 2:08pm On Jan 09
kingsways:
Thief
Shareholders are the owners of a company and beneficiaries of whatever profits they make
VERY CORRECT
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by aribisala0(m): 2:08pm On Jan 09
teepain:

You make a lot of sense. One of the challenges that Nigerians have is the inability to distill issues. There is this tendency to want to crucify people based on their political affiliations. In my opinion, while it looks fishy, this man hasn't done anything wrong in my opinion except further material disclosures are made as to his involvement. Until then what we have are only suspicions, perhaps because of the antecedents of the average Nigerian politician.
Many people are not capable of being neutral

They always take one side or the other and expect everyone else to do the same

It becomes a
You are on my side or my enemy issue

Even those attacking him are not asking the real questions they should be asking

1. Did he declare his interest in this company when he declared his assets
.2. What per centage of the company does he own does he own it 100 if not who are the other shareholders
3, What is the track record of the company in consultancy since inception
4. Was the contract properly advertised and bid for
5. What exactly was the Consultancy all about? What value was added?
6. Did he at any time discuss the contract with colleagues or otherwise influence the award of the contract
7. Who exactly was the Person that did the consultancy work and what is their history

Those are the questions that need answers

Asking those questions does not make me his antagonist

On the other hand one should be able to anticipate his defence too especially the question about

What the extant rules are and has he broken any

1 Like

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by writeprof(m): 2:10pm On Jan 09
What I see is a situation of PBAT pulling the carpet from under the feet of Edu and Ojo...I don't believe they could sign contracts of that sum without the president's approval. Either a set up or deal gone wrong.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by middlebelter(m): 2:14pm On Jan 09
chisomkachy:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/betta-edu-im-not-involved-in-n438m-million-contract-interior-minister/%3famp

The enemies of Nigeria are after the best minister in BAT administration. People who are against the reform this man is implementing in the immigration service will come after him. Sad, so sad that Nigerians have a way of pulling down the good people for selfish reasons.

Just check the dramatic changes in the Immigration service since this man became minister of the Interior, the extortionists were silenced and the reform made them irrelevant. I hope BAT will look beyond this baseless accusation and allow the man to continue with the good work he is doing for the helpless masses.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Raf4: 2:47pm On Jan 09
Racoon:
Did he resigned as shareholder before taking government appointment? If not he is culpriable too. Paddy paddy government.

Which law says you cannot be a shareholder in a company because you're a political appointee?
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by BluntCrazeMan: 2:50pm On Jan 09
chisomkachy:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/betta-edu-im-not-involved-in-n438m-million-contract-interior-minister/%3famp

By the time we start seeking the details of the job done, as well as the contract file, so that we can see the technical report of the exact job which the company did, and the certificate with which the amounts were paid,, you will start to stammer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by BluntCrazeMan: 2:55pm On Jan 09
chisomkachy:

Oga..

The problem here is “CONFLICT OF INTEREST”.

And not Whether you're the Director or Not.

A company you're the Direct Beneficiary of is handling Jobs in the Government that you're directly involved in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by casualobserver: 3:11pm On Jan 09
Bobloco:
The biggest shareholder you mean

Then you are culpable

Kindly throw in the towel now and submit yourself at the nearest EFCC office

Peter Obi that actually invested state money in a companies (not one but at least 2) in which he is a shareholder, you did not ask him to submit himself to EFCC?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by rafcrown(m): 3:18pm On Jan 09
Difficult to get honest and transparent people in politics in Nigeria.
Difficult to find honest Nigerians
Difficult to build a just society in Nigeria
Dishonest pastors
Dishonest Islamic scholars
No truth,no dignity.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Cromagnon: 4:07pm On Jan 09
Lastmankc:
See them,you guys are programmed like a zombie to support anything evil
Is getting passport ó time and cheaper evil,?
Is releasing prisoners held without trial because of 4000 naira fine evil?
Is like you enjoy suffering
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by regenerateman(m): 5:22pm On Jan 09
This man didn't explain to us whether he is a major shareholder or minor shareholder. The number of shares a person posseses in a company can empower him to appoint himself or someone else as chairman or CEO. So if this man is a major shareholde, he can directly appoint directors to this company. There4, what's he saying? There's conflicts of interest here. The only escape root here is that the contract wasn't awarded in his ministry.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

APC Wants Obanikoro Banned From Public Office, Adesiyan Sacked As Minister / Nigerians Rate Buhari Poor In Economic Management – Vanguard Poll / Ambode: Despite Tinubu’s Hard Stance, Presidency Pushes For Peace Deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.