Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,889 members, 7,828,146 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo (19316 Views)

CCB Invites Tunji-Ojo Over Alleged N438m Contract Scam / Another Minister, Tunji-ojo Fingered In Another N438m Fraud. / Adebayo Shittu On NYSC Scandal: I Don't Have Fake Certificate Like Kemi Adeosun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by seunmsg(m): 7:36am On Jan 09
Bobloco:

“The company is a limited liability company, which is a private entity. So if the company is a private entity, of course, I am still a shareholder, and to the best of my knowledge public service rule does not prohibit public officers from being shareholders.

Don't you think being a shareholder will create conflict of interests

Can you explain to me how the company bidding for contact in federal ministry of humanitarian affairs will create a conflict of interest for the minister of interior who has no role to play on the procurement process of ministry of humanitarian affairs? Make it make sense please.

2 Likes

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Oshokhai69: 7:37am On Jan 09
Racoon:
Did he resigned as shareholder before taking government appointment? If not he is culpriable too. Paddy paddy government.

Guy go and buy a book called Brighter Grammar…
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by MT: 7:38am On Jan 09
firearcher:
He didn't break any law so that fine.

However, that he won't benefit from this contract as a shareholder and founder is a lie. That he has no idea of what the company is doing can't be completely true.

He breaks the ETHICAL law.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by membranus: 7:39am On Jan 09
Tareq1105:

In other words, the company should have closed operations just bcoz he's a minister abi?

Let's start with:

> What's the company?

> What's the company normal line of business?

> What's the type of consultancy job they were doing for Betta Edu's former social intervention ministry?

> Were they known to be a leading provider of such services before?

> The one they now got paid for, did they do it with all the professionalism, integrity and diligence it deserved?

If all these queries can be answered positively, then we know that there is no Tunji Ojo's hands in the award of the contract to his self founded company.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Bobloco: 7:39am On Jan 09
seunmsg:

Can you explain to me how the company bidding for contact in federal ministry of humanitarian affairs will create a conflict of interest for the minister of interior who has no role to play on the procurement process of ministry of humanitarian affairs? Make it make sense please.

I won't engage you further on this

It's obvious you don't want to be reasonable

But the truth is Tunji Ojo is culpable

Know this and have peace

1 Like

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Bellotelli: 7:39am On Jan 09
seunmsg:

The part in bold is not allowed because it brings conflict of interest. The permanent Secretary is the chairman of the ministry’s tenders board so if a company he’s a shareholder of bids for contract in that same ministry, he will have to disclose it in line with public procurement act and recuse himself as the chairman of the tenders board because of conflict of interest. Again, PS are civil servants who rise from service. They are ordinarily not expected to own companies even though they can buy shares in public limited liability companies.

Political office holders are elected or appointed. The law recognizes that they were doing something before their appointment or election so they simply require them to step aside from the management of whatever business they were doing before. The law does not require the business to die or stop operating because the founder is now a political office again.

Again, Peter Obi was a shareholder in Fidelity bank before becoming governor. He did not sell his shares in fidelity bank and the bank kept doing business with Anambra state government throughout his tenure. He even brought in directors from the bank to serve as commissioners and later governor of the state. Atiku Abubakar was the largest shareholder in Intels in 1999. When he was elected as Vice President, Atiku did not sell his shares at Intels and the company worked for Federal government for the 8 years that Atiku was the vice president. So, what’s all the noise this time around? Did foreigners laugh at us when Peter Obi was investing state funds in family business?

Finally, the company in question is a legal entity distinct from the minister. The minister is the minister for interior and not the minister for humanitarian affairs. The minister for interior is not involved whatsoever in the procurement process of ministry of humanitarian affairs so there is no conflict of interest whatsoever. The company has the right to exist and do business legally with government agencies under the public procurement act in as much as no conflict of interest is involved in the process.

If anybody still argues this submission then they should be left alone to wallow in ignorance.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Samogloby: 7:40am On Jan 09
Tunji ojo is performing well but they are all criminal in this government. You used your position as a minister to secure the contract through another minister. That's how the just signed budget was padded by top government officials. Seriously, Nigeria is been rules by criminals
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by sukkot: 7:40am On Jan 09
Thank God I collect my passport before dem go fire this man and all his good works in the passport office
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by frog12: 7:40am On Jan 09
people like you think you are smart. na so Zubair that Edu adviser was saying no law was broken transferring money to private account.

SmartyPants:

Which law was broken?

He is not a director and it was not his ministry awarding the contract. It may be unethical but not illegal.

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by seunmsg(m): 7:43am On Jan 09
Bobloco:

I won't engage you further on this

It's obvious you don't want to be reasonable

But the truth is Tunji Ojo is culpable

Know this and have peace

🤣🤣🤣

Just answer the simple question and stop dodging. Point out the conflict of interest to me please, I’m really interested.

2 Likes

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Chesster: 7:43am On Jan 09
Racoon:
Did he resigned as shareholder before taking government appointment? If not he is culpriable too. Paddy paddy government.

Can someone resign as a shareholder.. do you know what a shareholder means?
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by seunmsg(m): 7:43am On Jan 09
sukkot:
Thank God I collect my passport before dem go fire this man and all his good works in the passport office

He will not be fired because he did nothing wrong. You can take that to the bank.

2 Likes

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by dinkyicon: 7:44am On Jan 09
Racoon:
illite.. rate.... How can you resign as a shareholder. Go school you won't go, you keep shouting education is a scam
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by sukkot: 7:47am On Jan 09
seunmsg:

He will not be fired because he did nothing wrong. You can take that to the bank.
i hope he will be alright. He has done very good works. But from now on he needs to be on his toes and stop all these shady side deals. Focus on your job and build a reputation. The wealth will come with the reputation
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by rajiedreez: 7:47am On Jan 09
Nigeria civil service will fight you dirty if you ever think of cleaning up the mess in the service
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Chesster: 7:47am On Jan 09
DeLaRue:
A company you founded and in which you continue to be shareholder secured a huge contract from another ministry in the same Government in which you are currently serving as a minister

And your defense is ... oh, but I am no longer a Director of the company, I am only a shareholder grin undecided

As a shareholder, you are a beneficiary of the contract. That is the koko. Whether or not you're a director is irrelevant. This is not allowed anywhere, exceptmay be Nigeria. It is a straight forward sacking offence.

Is the Minister saying that if he finds that the permanent secretary in his ministry got a large contract from the ministry through a company the PS owns with perhaps his wife, the Minister will say, ah well, since the PS is only a shareholder and not a director, everything is fine?

Foreign observers must be laughing their heads off at this, or more appropriately shaking their heads in disgust at the level of insane corruption in Nigeria.

Has the Minister never had of conflict of interest and abuse of office.

And how on earth can he say he was not aware the company bid for the contract. He must think Nigerians are fools.

If this matter is investigated properly, and the government is truly serious, this man will be gone with Ms Edu and the other lady. No ifs, no buts.

He did not award any contract to his ministry... He has no fault..he is simply a shareholder..no crime in that .

Politicians are shareholders in Julius beger ..hence they handle all the juicy Nigerian projects..
It's no crime..as long as the company fulfills the requirements of the contracts ..why not.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Bobloco: 7:48am On Jan 09
seunmsg:

🤣🤣🤣

Just answer the simple question and stop dodging. Point out the conflict of interest to me please, I’m really interested.

You mean you don't see anything wrong in Tunji Ojo using his position as a minister to secure a contract to a company he owns from another ministry

You mean that there's no conflict of interests

1 Like

Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Ykc2(m): 7:48am On Jan 09
Curious345:
Well i wish this man escapes .. but Tinubu will crush him soon
can you appoint Evan as commander anti kidnapping and robbery squad? Anti touting squad can you appoint mc oluomo as chairman?anti forgery and drug department will you appoint tinubu to head the department if your the president?
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by dinkyicon: 7:48am On Jan 09
MT:

You guys don't get it.

As a Minister, he is in a serious position of influence in the government and also his position within the company as a shareholder makes him a DIRECT beneficiary of the profit made through any contract.

No where in the world is this allowed, even if you are top performer.

This is a conflict of interest which makes him highly culpable.
stop saying what you dont know. The fmr president of America Donald trump is a shareholder to lot of companies. Even Tinubu, even Obasanjo. So what's your point. To sell off your properties while entering the government?
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by SmartyPants(m): 7:48am On Jan 09
frog12:
people like you think you are smart. na so Zubair that Edu adviser was saying no law was broken transferring money to private account.

Of course an explicit law was broken there. Which has been quoted and shared i.e funds meant for public use should never be paid into private accounts. If you don't know the law you dont need to comment on these threads.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by DesChyko: 7:49am On Jan 09
frog12:
olodo. do you know what a shareholder is??
it means he is an owner of the company.

There is no law in public service that prevents any public officer from being a shareholder of any company. Except it can be shown how he influenced the award of those funds to the said company, the directors will be more culpable before even the shareholders.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by dinkyicon: 7:50am On Jan 09
seunmsg:

The part in bold is not allowed because it brings conflict of interest. The permanent Secretary is the chairman of the ministry’s tenders board so if a company he’s a shareholder of bids for contract in that same ministry, he will have to disclose it in line with public procurement act and recuse himself as the chairman of the tenders board because of conflict of interest. Again, PS are civil servants who rise from service. They are ordinarily not expected to own companies even though they can buy shares in public limited liability companies.

Political office holders are elected or appointed. The law recognizes that they were doing something before their appointment or election so they simply require them to step aside from the management of whatever business they were doing before. The law does not require the business to die or stop operating because the founder is now a political office again.

Again, Peter Obi was a shareholder in Fidelity bank before becoming governor. He did not sell his shares in fidelity bank and the bank kept doing business with Anambra state government throughout his tenure. He even brought in directors from the bank to serve as commissioners and later governor of the state. Atiku Abubakar was the largest shareholder in Intels in 1999. When he was elected as Vice President, Atiku did not sell his shares at Intels and the company worked for Federal government for the 8 years that Atiku was the vice president. So, what’s all the noise this time around? Did foreigners laugh at us when Peter Obi was investing state funds in family business?

Finally, the company in question is a legal entity distinct from the minister. The minister is the minister for interior and not the minister for humanitarian affairs. The minister for interior is not involved whatsoever in the procurement process of ministry of humanitarian affairs so there is no conflict of interest whatsoever. The company has the right to exist and do business legally with government agencies under the public procurement act in as much as no conflict of interest is involved in the process.

finally. Thank you my brother. I think we are the only educated ones here
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Ola4lead(m): 7:50am On Jan 09
Most comments on here says a lot about Nigerians, most don't understand the difference between directors and shareholders.

Do you expect him to close down his investments because the president appoints him? Or do you expect the company to remain idle because one of their shareholders are involved in the government of the day?

We need to start reasoning like humans.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Fiscus105(m): 7:51am On Jan 09
Odogwuzack:

Did you read where he said he had resigned his directorship in 2019 (with proper documentations) and do not pursue jobs for the company neither is he a signatory to any document?

I'm very sure you saw that part but una agenda must agend. cool

Hope u know that the current director is his wife?
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by abbasajao(m): 7:53am On Jan 09
Racoon:
resign as a shareholder?
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by Tzar(m): 7:54am On Jan 09
All these corrupt Nigerian youths and relatively young politicians have proven how ALL Nigerians young and old are the same fantastically corrupt people.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by kingsways: 7:56am On Jan 09
Paramount01:

No rules says pulic service holder can't be a share holder

You are even worse than that thief because people like you are a bigger problem to society

you see nothing wrong in a public office holder channeling fraudulent contracts to a company they are founder and major shareholder, cover your face in shame
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by John4B: 7:57am On Jan 09
Tinubu just appointed crooks is his government. Let's see how it goes.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by tritt(m): 8:07am On Jan 09
Na all of us be ashawo...... in timaya's voice
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by April4th(m): 8:08am On Jan 09
So far you're still a shareholder in the company, you're still culpable of the crime you're been accused of man.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by poseidon12: 8:09am On Jan 09
Thief trying to be clever by half. He thinks all Nigerians are fools. Mr Shareholder indeed.
Re: N438m Scandal: I Am A Shareholder Not Director Of The Company - Tunji-Ojo by daygee12: 8:09am On Jan 09
kingsways:
Thief
Shareholders are the owners of a company and beneficiaries of whatever profits they make

Because I'm a shareholder of GTBANK and I'm a government official so GTBANK should not take contract from the government?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Anambra Bans Public Display Of Caskets, Depositing Of Corpses Beyond Two Months / APC Campaigns In Tundun Wada And Doguwa, Kano (Photos) / APC Northern Governors Insist On Supporting A Southern Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.