Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,217 members, 7,811,605 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

My Experience At Work Today - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Experience At Work Today (14570 Views)

How Did You Get To Work today as a result of the removal of subsidy? / My Ugly Experience On My First Day At Work. / My Interview Experience At A Law Firm In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience At Work Today by flakkypastries: 8:41pm On Jan 09
I got a job with a small micro finance company some months back.
And I have been doing my job effectively without any complain

I notice I was having chest pain throughout Sunday, so I had to call my supervisor that I will be late to work on Monday morning because I needed to visit the doctor...
I'm not the type that take permission from work
I was at the hospital when my supervisor called me that the manager said I shouldn't bother to come to work again on that day , I thought maybe they wanted me to rest

Lo and behold, I got to work this morning, my boss said I should handover all the companies properties with me that I have been relief of my job.
I pleaded to him but he wouldn't listen to my pleas

Thank God he paid me January salary and gave me 3 rubbers of rice.

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience At Work Today by captaininiobong(m): 9:00pm On Jan 09
flakkypastries:

I notice I was having chest pain throughout Sunday, so I had to call my supervisor that I will be late to work on Monday morning because I needed to visit the doctor...
I was at the hospital when my supervisor called me that the manager said I shouldn't bother to come to work again on that day , I thought maybe they wanted me to rest

Lo and behold, I got to work this morning, my boss said I should handover all the companies properties with me that I have been relief of my job.

Move ahead. If you appeal for an excuse, don't beg another job is coming. Keep searching.

It's only in Nigeria we don't value human life. I once thought in a school and it was about time for exams where students won't be doing much again. I took permission because I was seriously I'll on malaria which use to be my worst illness.

My HOD was like am I sure I'm sick? Then I was like, will I lie to you of an illness?

If it's some advance places they use to have medical center that will take care of you.i wish you a better job.

102 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Experience At Work Today by Oloki: 9:30pm On Jan 09
It is well with you oga. They want you to die at their workplace abi? Is it a do or die job?Wicked people. They don't value human life at all.
Move on. God will surely surprise you with a better offer very soon.

43 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by decatalyst(m): 9:36pm On Jan 09
I guess you are still in the probation period and the bank doesn't have a standard approach to addressing "improper" excuse of duty.

I used "improper" because you could have sent a text message instead of a phone call to your supervisor.

He/she may have deny you called before you. Higher report line may think you just choose not to report on time to work on a Monday morning. (You need to know and master this for your next employment)

A company that doesn't prioritize employee health is not worth working for.

Move on!

79 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience At Work Today by Klass99(f): 9:43pm On Jan 09

6 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by flakkypastries: 10:07pm On Jan 09
Klass99:

Three rubbers of rice kwa? How do you know it was 3 rubbers, were you there when it was measured?
I measured it when I got home

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience At Work Today by Immatex(m): 10:34pm On Jan 09
Can only happen in Nigeria.

How do they even pay you for this level of inhuman treatment.

As a sales manager in Nigeria, I have on record that I treated all my subordinates humanely. Did only permit sick leaves but cared to ensure they got good treatments before resuming. No body who worked under lost his job because they were sick.

The worst I will do is insist you provide evidence of being sick if I suspected truancy.

Here in the UK, you get minimum a week sick leave without a job evaluation beyond which you might be required to get a doctor report and might also get a work evaluation but your job security is given priority most of the times.

And you can report to work late as much as you give an hour's notice to your manager of a good reason to report to work late. You don't need to be at work when sick, how do would even do the job.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience At Work Today by WantsandMore: 11:26pm On Jan 09
Most Nigerians workspace are still stuck on the classical rule of thumb. Productivity over Psychological/Emotional health

7 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by LagosSuperStar: 11:28pm On Jan 09
You and your employers are stupid.
Oh! I meant you and your ex employers.
Left work without properly informing them on the pretext that you are sick.

They too couldn't put you on probation, rather, they outrightly told you to go home without any letter of termination of employment. Well I guess that tells much about them. That also tells much about you grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience At Work Today by Gadafii: 1:39am On Jan 10
Whatโ€™s your qualification and where do you live?

3 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by LikeAking: 2:01am On Jan 10
flakkypastries:

Village people no mercy u at all .
Re: My Experience At Work Today by etrange: 3:07am On Jan 10
flakkypastries:

Wow, just like that? That's harsh and unfair.

What did your supervisor say when you told them you'd be late to work? If he okayed it and the manager still booted you out for coming in late, then it speaks volume about the organization. It means the dude is a micro manager and power is overly centralized in the organization. Otherwise, he should've have queried the supervisor's decision instead of directly punishing you, especially given the fact that you did the right thing by informing your supervisor about your plight.

While there might be some advantages in working for small organizations like that, the fact that one man could just get up and kick you out without any due process/formal HR hearing is one major thing that makes it unnerving.

Pele. Ndo. I hope you find a better place.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by Jewessgratitud3: 4:25am On Jan 10
flakkypastries:

LoL ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚.. you have time to explain grin.

Well I must say the treatment was really harsh upon the fact that you took permission to go and take care of yourself. I feel for you dear.

Don't worry, God will give you a better one. Health is wealth.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by LooneyLester: 4:56am On Jan 10
Kudos to your boss

He did the right thing

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Experience At Work Today by flakkypastries: 5:12am On Jan 10
etrange:

Wow, just like that? That's harsh and unfair.

What did your supervisor say when you told them you'd be late to work? If he okayed it and the manager still booted you out for coming in late, then it speaks volume about the organization. It means the dude is a micro manager and power is overly centralized in the organization. Otherwise, he should've have queried the supervisor's decision instead of directly punishing you, especially given the fact that you did the right thing by informing your supervisor about your plight.

While there might be some advantages in working for small organizations like that, the fact that one man could just get up and kick you out without any due process/formal HR hearing is one major thing that makes it unnerving.

Pele. Ndo. I hope you find a better place.

The supervisor gave me the permission, Although I called my boss that same day to inform him about my health and he ask me not to come again on that day..
It really shock me when I was told to drop all the companies properties with me including the I.D card

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by flakkypastries: 5:13am On Jan 10
Oloki:
It is well with you oga. They want you to due at their workplace abi? Is it a do or die job?Wicked people. They don't value human life at all.
Move on. God will surely surprise you with a better offer very soon.

Amen

1 Like

Re: My Experience At Work Today by Queenmark: 6:03am On Jan 10
flakkypastries:

I feel there is more to this story than what you are sharing. No organization especially microfiance is willing to let go of a hardworking staff because one day absence.

6 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by flakkypastries: 6:13am On Jan 10
Queenmark:

I feel there is more to this story than what you are sharing. No organization especially microfiance is willing to let go of a hardworking staff because one day absence.
There is nothing to it
What they said was that it is too early to take permission on Monday morning

4 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by dayleke: 6:45am On Jan 10
flakkypastries:

May I ask why you did that? tongue
Were you told you were given "3 rubbers" and you wanted to confirm it? grin

Sorry about your job o.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by Olachase(m): 6:46am On Jan 10
flakkypastries:

they chop the three rubber of rice before you see another work

4 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by captaininiobong(m): 6:58am On Jan 10
LagosSuperStar:
You and your employers are stupid.
Oh! I meant you and your ex employers.
Left work without properly informing them on the pretext that you are sick.

They too couldn't put you on probation, rather, they outrightly told you to go home without any letter of termination of employment. Well I guess that tells much about them. That also tells much about you grin

Is this how you adress issues by calling people you don't know before as stupid? It only tells me your level of maturity/responsibleness. You are not responsible at all.

14 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by captaininiobong(m): 6:59am On Jan 10
dayleke:

Sorry about your job o.

Irrelevant questions.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by captaininiobong(m): 7:00am On Jan 10
Queenmark:

Go-to the office and findout

5 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by flakkypastries: 7:14am On Jan 10
dayleke:

Sorry about your job o.
I measured it because I wanted to give a friend one rubber, so I needed to be sure it's more than 2 rubbers before dashing out.

10 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by heed101(m): 7:29am On Jan 10
flakkypastries:

I measured it because I wanted to give a friend one rubber, so I needed to be sure it's more than 2 rubbers before dashing out.
Wow. That is nice of you. How many months did you spend there. My advice for you is to target companies that are standard when you want to work. In a sane clime, a standard organisation cannot sack you without letting you know what you did and this will be done through disciplinary committee.

I guess your finance company is mini micro. May I know your role in the company?

4 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by osmosis101(m): 8:04am On Jan 10
Say d trut bro,u already had an issue on ground bfore.... Or u a lazy type

3 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by Oyindamolah: 8:23am On Jan 10
grin
osmosis101:
Say d trut bro,u already had an issue on ground bfore.... Or u a lazy type
Re: My Experience At Work Today by dayleke: 8:31am On Jan 10
captaininiobong:

Irrelevant questions.

Sir,
Do I know you from somewhere?
Are you the OP?
The OP already answered my questions and did not even get offended so who are you?

Naija don happen to you. Sorry. cry

I'll keep praying for you sir.
Have a nice and blessed day.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At Work Today by Emma1Oj(m): 9:06am On Jan 10
These could be any of the reasons

1. They sees you as threat to their job
2. Them no like your presence in that office
3. Maybe they are jealous of you
4. Maybe your I too know to much
5. Maybe your excuses is becoming too much.
6. Maybe Oga wan use connection fill the post.
7. Your supervisor has confirmed negative things about you to the boss.
8. If na, ndi ofe ma nu? Don't bother, na their ways. Gossip, eyes service, runs in their blood.

In all, dust your CV and keep applying. You go get job.

7 Likes

Re: My Experience At Work Today by westlius(m): 9:21am On Jan 10
Next time pls send a text
And tell them your parents is sick
U are the one who takes care of them
Thats works better
Re: My Experience At Work Today by Klass99(f): 10:32am On Jan 10

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bayelsa Rejects Police Recruitment List, Says Itโ€™s Fraudulent / Oyo State Civil Service Commission / N-teach Start ASSESSMENT TEST Today #npowerng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.