Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,964 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. (12624 Views)

Jumia Food To Shutdown In Nigeria From December 2023 / FG Asks Google To Remove 18 Loan Apps From Play Store (Full List) / Sokoloan Set To Shutdown, After Paying ₦10 Million NITDA Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by Eriokanmi: 9:10pm On Jan 12
SharingIsLife:
Sometimes, Google takes decisions that seem very stupid to me. Google My Business sites support businesses directly. When you find a local business on Google My Business/Maps and you want to check the offers of a particular business, you are taken to that business's Google My Business site.

So where are people looking for a business to be able to view their offers? I mean small business that are not yet able to afford their own websites? Business wisdom tells us that these startups are more important than the conglomerates.

Instead of shutting down the redundant Google Sites, they are shutting down the one that has direct impact on startups across the world. The business community should rise against this.

Meanwhile op your title is misleading somewhat. You make it seem as if Google My Business services are shutting down.

MyExpression, kindly share some screenshots of the mail you received so that Nlfpmod can consider escalating this important info.

What

Once you make a service public, you become accountable to the public. After all, Google services are not "free" per se. Do you know how much your data alone at Google's disposal is worth?
I smell something like rat here. That's how they hit us, all of a sudden, after making Google drive free to billions of users globally for years. After they allowed many to enjoy it for free and store heavy,important and sensitive files on Google drive, they now Limited the space one could occupy. Once you filled up the space, you'd have to pay to get more space. I see something similar happening here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by laivwire(m): 9:53pm On Jan 12
Eriokanmi:
I smell something like rat here. That's how they hit us, all of a sudden, after making Google drive free to billions of users globally for years. After they allowed many to enjoy it for free and store heavy,important and sensitive files on Google drive, they now Limited the space one could occupy. Once you filled up the space, you'd have to pay to get more space. I see something similar happening here.

Thats correct. There's a massive downsizing on server space allotments. My single gmail account that I have been using for over 15 years to which all my mails, messaages, photos, contacts, youtube and chrome profiles , map timelines, wallets, bank accounts (you name it) are connected to got deleted because Google has limited the cloud storage available to organizations. It is worse than losing your phone or sim card.

Worse still, recovery is almost zero. You can't transfer data to another profile except to download your photos and a few other things.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by Achoghim: 10:02pm On Jan 12
Google is one company that has a very long list of discontinued services, they are very inconsistent and impatient

1 Like

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by ibiso1986: 10:24pm On Jan 12
Same thing also happened to Google Map Maker

1 Like

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by emmyN(m): 12:16am On Jan 13
If you were affected by this and need a website for your business, I could help you create one. Send a mail.

1 Like

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by online4business: 3:50am On Jan 13
Department of justice trying all they could to break google monopoly sadly people don't read.

Anti trust legislation filled by 5 states wants google to stop monopoly of everything.

As a business man what do you do? Kill your darlings and focus on search the main business.

Gmb SEO's sorry bye bye.

Focus on the fundamentals search is google business other are just shinny object.

Next will be adsense and ads management platform (that's where google monopoly dey)

If they seperate google ads and ads network management (I'll kiss the ass of DOJ because it means more money in my pocket)

And innovation from different companies (black rock and vanguard or their cronies)

Learn SEO so advertiser pay you your worth story for another day.

Control=responsibility

1 Like

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by faceland: 4:39am On Jan 13
chatinent:
The same way Google + died. They make decisions without ever considering anyone or anything...I mean killing innovative options because they want to be a jack of all trade.

The day they will disable Gmail, they will see my true colours.

I know an elderly woman that built a big following on Google+ but after it shut down, she couldn't start all over (didn't have mailing list of her followers).

I just pray, they do not cancel Blogger

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by BBQZ: 4:41am On Jan 13
They are gradually leaving the web hosting and domain business in every flavour. Google domains which registers and sells domain names was redacted last year, even though it was a paid service

1 Like

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by Appswheel(m): 8:20am On Jan 13
Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by MyExpression(m): 9:49am On Jan 13
online4business:
Department of justice trying all they could to break google monopoly sadly people don't read.

Anti trust legislation filled by 5 states wants google to stop monopoly of everything.

As a business man what do you do? Kill your darlings and focus on search the main business.

Gmb SEO's sorry bye bye.

Focus on the fundamentals search is google business other are just shinny object.

Next will be adsense and ads management platform (that's where google monopoly dey)

If they seperate google ads and ads network management (I'll kiss the ass of DOJ because it means more money in my pocket)

And innovation from different companies (black rock and vanguard or their cronies)

Learn SEO so advertiser pay you your worth story for another day.

Control=responsibility

However, Google business accounts will now show your business profile...it still stays.
And that's probably where the new shop would be.

If their verification system is legit enough, it could replace the need for websites.
Everything on the Web, will be showcased on the business profile.

1 Like

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by Konquest: 10:11am On Jan 13
MyExpression:
I got a mail from Google business this morning.
It reads...

Websites made with Google Business Profiles will be turned off soon

Starting from 1 March 2024, customers will be redirected to your Business Profiles when they visit your Google business websites. In the past, you’ve used a Google feature (GMB) to make simple websites from the information on your Business Profiles.

This feature is going away in the coming months and will no longer be supported, meaning that the sites you created with this tool will be removed.

To help with the transition, starting 1 March 2024, customers will be redirected to your Business Profiles.
On your profiles, you can showcase similar information about your business, and also add social media links so that customers can learn more.
Your websites will redirect customers until 10 June 2024, after which they will show as unavailable.

Updating your profiles with a different website
You can update your Business Profiles to link to a different website.
If you need to make a website, you can use a site builder such as Wix, Squarespace, GoDaddy, Google Sites, Shopify, or WordPress.

https://support.google.com/business/answer/14368911?visit_id=638406669639398417-2736256280&p=website_turnoff&rd=1
In essence, go and get on a paid website.

However, they did not tell us if it affects other premium google websites.

Perhaps they are leaving the Web hosting business for small time players.
They want to have enough space to store Generative AI database.
Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by chatinent: 10:28am On Jan 13
faceland:

I know an elderly woman that built a big following on Google+ but after it shut down, she couldn't start all over (didn't have mailing list of her followers).

I just pray, they do not cancel Blogger

They will soon. It's poorly maintained. And how many people use it compared to WordPress?

2 Likes

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by Mrviktor(m): 11:24am On Jan 13
I build websites

1 Like

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by Obierika(m): 6:16pm On Jan 14
MyExpression:
I got a mail from Google business this morning.
It reads...

Websites made with Google Business Profiles will be turned off soon

Starting from 1 March 2024, customers will be redirected to your Business Profiles when they visit your Google business websites. In the past, you’ve used a Google feature (GMB) to make simple websites from the information on your Business Profiles.

This feature is going away in the coming months and will no longer be supported, meaning that the sites you created with this tool will be removed.

To help with the transition, starting 1 March 2024, customers will be redirected to your Business Profiles.
On your profiles, you can showcase similar information about your business, and also add social media links so that customers can learn more.
Your websites will redirect customers until 10 June 2024, after which they will show as unavailable.

Updating your profiles with a different website
You can update your Business Profiles to link to a different website.
If you need to make a website, you can use a site builder such as Wix, Squarespace, GoDaddy, Google Sites, Shopify, or WordPress.

https://support.google.com/business/answer/14368911?visit_id=638406669639398417-2736256280&p=website_turnoff&rd=1
In essence, go and get on a paid website.

However, they did not tell us if it affects other premium google websites.

Perhaps they are leaving the Web hosting business for small time players.
They want to have enough space to store Generative AI database.

What's the implication of this on those who are using their services?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ifeanyi Ubah Dissociates Himself From 2017 Governorship Campaign Posters / Ponzi Scheme: SEC Begins Verification Of 4,160 Investors’ Claims / Banks Fail To Account For Nigeria’s $7bn Reserves.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.