Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,391 members, 7,812,153 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:08 AM

Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. (12625 Views)

Jumia Food To Shutdown In Nigeria From December 2023 / FG Asks Google To Remove 18 Loan Apps From Play Store (Full List) / Sokoloan Set To Shutdown, After Paying ₦10 Million NITDA Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by MyExpression(m): 2:57pm On Jan 12
I got a mail from Google business this morning.
It reads...

Websites made with Google Business Profiles will be turned off soon

Starting from 1 March 2024, customers will be redirected to your Business Profiles when they visit your Google business websites. In the past, you’ve used a Google feature (GMB) to make simple websites from the information on your Business Profiles.

This feature is going away in the coming months and will no longer be supported, meaning that the sites you created with this tool will be removed.

To help with the transition, starting 1 March 2024, customers will be redirected to your Business Profiles.
On your profiles, you can showcase similar information about your business, and also add social media links so that customers can learn more.
Your websites will redirect customers until 10 June 2024, after which they will show as unavailable.

Updating your profiles with a different website
You can update your Business Profiles to link to a different website.
If you need to make a website, you can use a site builder such as Wix, Squarespace, GoDaddy, Google Sites, Shopify, or WordPress.

https://support.google.com/business/answer/14368911?visit_id=638406669639398417-2736256280&p=website_turnoff&rd=1
In essence, go and get on a paid website.

However, they did not tell us if it affects other premium google websites.

Perhaps they are leaving the Web hosting business for small time players.
They want to have enough space to store Generative AI database.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by SharingIsLife(m): 3:17pm On Jan 12
Sometimes, Google takes decisions that seem very stupid to me. Google My Business sites support businesses directly. When you find a local business on Google My Business/Maps and you want to check the offers of a particular business, you are taken to that business's Google My Business site.

So where are people looking for a business to be able to view their offers? I mean small business that are not yet able to afford their own websites? Business wisdom tells us that these startups are more important than the conglomerates.

Instead of shutting down the redundant Google Sites, they are shutting down the one that has direct impact on startups across the world. The business community should rise against this.

Meanwhile op your title is misleading somewhat. You make it seem as if Google My Business services are shutting down.

MyExpression, kindly share some screenshots of the mail you received so that Nlfpmod can consider escalating this important info.
PrinceofSarcasm:
Good it was redundant . Made no sense for businesses
What
ivolt:

Good submission.
But why the entitlement.
Why would the business community rise against a free service being shutdown?
Once you make a service public, you become accountable to the public. After all, Google services are not "free" per se. Do you know how much your data alone at Google's disposal is worth?

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by PrinceofSarcasm: 7:57pm On Jan 12
Good it was redundant . Made no sense for businesses

4 Likes

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by Vifx: 7:58pm On Jan 12
Lol
Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by Lanre4uonly(m): 7:58pm On Jan 12
Ok, noted.

1 Like

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by bassdow: 7:58pm On Jan 12
One of numerous Reasons rarely do I invest time on things I have got no control over.

Imagine those who might have shared links in various place, suddenly having to reDo them all ?

Nothing ever is FREE even when it's FREE

6 Likes

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by bassdow: 7:58pm On Jan 12
[quote author=bassdow post=127910921][/quote]
Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by ThirdWorldThug: 7:59pm On Jan 12
That website, which only copied what is already in the Google My Business page, never helped any business, and it's obvious it never helped Google as well.

5 Likes

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by ATEAMS: 7:59pm On Jan 12
Ai effect

1 Like

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by chatinent: 8:00pm On Jan 12
The same way Google + died. They make decisions without ever considering anyone or anything...I mean killing innovative options because they want to be a jack of all trade.

The day they will disable Gmail, they will see my true colours.

24 Likes

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by accordadoga21(f): 8:00pm On Jan 12
Hehehehe

Anything person no pay for dey always end like this.

Cheap is always better than free.

BTW, Nairaland is so boring now.

No freedom of expression.

Who has the link to Twitter, please?

4 Likes

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by bassdow: 8:01pm On Jan 12
accordadoga21:
Hehehehe
Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by bassdow: 8:01pm On Jan 12
[quote author=bassdow post=127910999][/quote]
[quote author=bassdow post=127911002][/quote]
Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by bassdow: 8:02pm On Jan 12
chatinent:
The same way Google + died.

The day they will disable Gmail, they will see my true colours.

na people wey don use dem email do SAFE go cry tire

3 Likes

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by ivolt: 8:03pm On Jan 12
SharingIsLife:
Sometimes, Google takes decisions that seem very stupid to me. Google My Business sites support businesses directly. When you find a local business on Google My Business/Maps and you want to check the offers of a particular business, you are taken to that business's Google My Business site.

So where are people looking for a business to be able to view their offers? I mean small business that are not yet able to afford their own websites? Business wisdom tells us that these startups are more important than the conglomerates.

Instead of shutting down the redundant Google Sites, they are shutting down the one that has direct impact on startups across the world. The business community should rise against this.

Meanwhile op your title is misleading somewhat. You make it seem as if Google My Business services are shutting down.

MyExpression, kindly share some screenshots of the mail you received so that Nlfpmod can consider escalating this important info.
Good submission.
But why the entitlement.
Why would the business community rise against a free service being shutdown?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by bassdow: 8:03pm On Jan 12
accordadoga21:
Hehehehe

Anything person no pay for dey always end like this.

BTW, Nairaland is so boring now.

No freedom of expression.

Who has the link to Twitter, please?
Ask Aunty Google

2 Likes

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by bassdow: 8:03pm On Jan 12
ThirdWorldThug:
That website, which only copied what is already in the Google My Business page, never helped any business, and it's obvious it never helped Google as well.

overTrue
Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by nanauju(f): 8:06pm On Jan 12
grin

1 Like

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by derico(m): 8:24pm On Jan 12
The site didn't give users the access to edit and design to their taste.
It just existed for verification sake.

Since it will now be integrated with Google profile, and still present on the Map, what we need to do, is to optimize our Google profile.

I've always wondered the essence of Map, google profile and .business.site having same content.

Well, WordPress is still free.
You can fully migrate your content to another website.

I'll start paying for good Web host, when the web access truly start bringing in leads.
For now, we just dey use am answer present online...so they know we're legit.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by akpumping7720(m): 8:24pm On Jan 12
Way to go
Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by 900warriorz: 8:28pm On Jan 12
Was a simple business web creating tool So sad

1 Like

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by ibiso1986: 8:30pm On Jan 12
The website played a role for optimization though. You can add extra information up to 4000 characters as well... It also improves ranking... I'll miss it giving the fact that I handle over 200 Google my business pages...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by etoluw: 8:46pm On Jan 12
If you need an affordable website for your business you can get in touch with me. You don't have to pay a dime until you are fully satisfied with the job.

WhatsApp number is on my profile.
Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by Skillsnigeria: 8:49pm On Jan 12
Noted
Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by chatinent: 9:02pm On Jan 12
bassdow:

na people wey don use dem email do SAFE go cry tire

Na so Naij mail (now Legit News) do ruin my application. Best bets are still premium mailboxes
Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by Benbbuere: 9:03pm On Jan 12
Hopes gone

2 Likes

Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by Curious345: 9:09pm On Jan 12
It's a lie
Re: Google To Shutdown Google My Business Website Platform. by Curious345: 9:10pm On Jan 12
Maybe they are only stopping it in Nigeria

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ponzi Scheme: SEC Begins Verification Of 4,160 Investors’ Claims / Banks Fail To Account For Nigeria’s $7bn Reserves. / Which Good Biz Can I Start With 100,000?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.