Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends (13957 Views)

How Scammers Defrauded Me Of ₦‎4,510,500 - Tolulope Ezekiel / I'm Suicidal Bet9ja Hacked My Account And Stole My Money - PHOTOS / How Scammers From Europe Use Phones To Cheat People In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Addme: 3:36am On Jan 15
Tokunbo Afikuyomi, a former senator, has narrated how fraudsters hacked his phone and deceived his friends to transfer millions of naira to them.

The former senator said the scammers on Saturday morning “temporarily seized control” of his WhatsApp, a messaging application.

Afikuyomi, in a statement on Sunday, said the hackers sent fraudulent messages to his friends demanding money on his behalf.

The former senator said some of his friends called him via the telephone to confirm the fraudulent request while others “innocently sent” millions of naira to the accounts provided by the scammers.

“I immediately complained to the relevant security and regulatory agencies and I thank the anti-fraud unit of the police for springing into action immediately,” the former senator said.

“Their efforts led to identifying some of the account numbers and the details of the respective owners through which the scammers collected various sums of money.

“The security agents are also already deploying technology to geo-locate the perpetrators. Investigations by relevant agencies are still ongoing.”

Afikuyomi said he had suspended the use of his WhatsApp phone number until after the completion of the investigation.

“I must at this stage express my dismay with the lack of due diligence in the bank account opening and maintenance system in our country,” he said.

“This is what has come out so far in the investigation of this phone hacking scam.

“The scammers opened so many bank accounts without supplying the banks with the necessary security checks and details required by the law.

“In the same manner, it is now obvious that some of the Over the Top Media Services (OTT) providers do not fully comply with the provision of Nigeria’s Data Privacy and Protection Laws.”

The former senator advised Nigerians to be more careful while responding to messages from acquaintances.
https://www.thecable.ng/tokunbo-afikuyomi-how-scammers-hacked-my-phone-defrauded-my-friends/amp

2 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Femisol(m): 3:40am On Jan 15
Two factor authentication is very important.

What a big lesson

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by PoliteActivist: 4:30am On Jan 15
*Politeness*
Very unlikely anybody would send "millions" tho.
Let's keep the exaggerations a bit believable

18 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by matify83: 4:58am On Jan 15
Even with two step verification done, some of my colleagues have lost control of their whatsapp handle for days before taking back control and the scammers always use this same modus operandi of soliciting for money.

I often wonder why i will just transfer funds to my friend based on a text message without hearing from him.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by jabor4Naija(m): 5:30am On Jan 15
matify83:
Even with two step verification done, some of my colleagues have lost control of their whatsapp handle for days before taking back control and the scammers always use this same modus operandi of soliciting for money.

I often wonder why i will just transfer funds to my friend based on a text message without hearing from him.

Then what is the essence of the two step verification if it can still be hacked? This is crazy

2 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Shellsploit: 5:31am On Jan 15
Na when una go dey use trannsion devices grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by zegeijuwa: 5:32am On Jan 15
Because you lacked very basic security measures. You gave out the OTP for your whatsapp after been social engineered. Check your sms you'd see the OTP and figure out when and how you gave it out. No magic here.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Oloki: 5:33am On Jan 15
The scammers are on rampage this January. Did exactly the same to one man I know very well. They try to enter his bank account but couldn't but have already hacked his whatsapp.

Am not sure they got up to a million but people transfer money to them in 20k, 50k etc with their sob stories.

God will deliver us

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by AlphaNugget(m): 5:34am On Jan 15
PoliteActivist:
*Politeness*
Your circle determines your alert during your time of need. Don't underrate rich men.

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by ezebunafo(m): 5:37am On Jan 15
zegeijuwa:
Because you lacked very basic security measures. You gave out the OTP for your whatsapp after been social engineered. Check your sms you'd see the OTP and figure out when and how you gave it out. No magic here.
they cloned the WhatsApp number,so otp's will be sent also to the cloned number

4 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Deemas(m): 5:37am On Jan 15
PoliteActivist:
*Politeness*

Very possible my dear. I was chatting with a scammer who hacked a church member's WhatsApp account without knowing. This man is a highly placed officer of the NPF. The scammer said I should loan him 1.5m and that he wants to quickly sort out something and refund in 5 days. It was when I called I got to know his WhatsApp account was hacked.

9 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by DWJOBScom(m): 5:39am On Jan 15
zegeijuwa:

Don't mind them
Claiming hacked hacked
Hacked ni abi ko

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by aikyg(m): 5:40am On Jan 15
This has become common. The criminals target phones that have old versions of Whatsapp or phones that have malware preinstalled in them. The malware's job is to read your SMS and forward the SMS to the criminals. To prevent this:

1, Always make sure that your phone's OS is up to date.
2, Always ensure that your Whatsapp is up to date
3, Avoid buying foreign used phones, as most of them come with malware preinstalled.
4, Lastly, set up 2FA for you Whatsapp.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by DWJOBScom(m): 5:41am On Jan 15
ezebunafo:

This is false

14 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by nastyesco(m): 5:43am On Jan 15
Nnamdi Kanu for 2027 President

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by DWJOBScom(m): 5:44am On Jan 15
Uts either people are defrauding themselves and claiming hacked or everyone is just plain stupid.
So you sent your OTP to a scammer and claimed you were hacked or you gave your phone out to be fixed and gave out all your details

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by PoliteActivist: 5:44am On Jan 15
Deemas:

Very possible my dear. I was chatting with a scammer who hacked a church member's WhatsApp account without knowing. This man is a highly placed officer of the NPF. The scammer said I should loan him 1.5m and that he wants to quickly sort out something and refund in 5 days. It was when I called I got to know his WhatsApp account was hacked.

AlphaNugget:
Your circle determines your alert during your time of need. Don't underrate rich men.

*Politeness*
Oh, I know they can request it, but even Tinubu won't transfer 1.5m just like that. Infact most banks and apps have maximum of 1m or less
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Connoisseur(m): 5:56am On Jan 15
PoliteActivist:

*Politeness*
Oh, I know they can request it, but even Tinubu won't transfer 1.5m just like that. Infact most banks and apps have maximum of 1m or less

I had to look at your profile first.

Well, you are right🤷

2 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Blackfire(m): 5:59am On Jan 15
Senators loot billions.... scammers loot millions from you...

I think all is fair

Everybody will chop breakfast
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by duduade: 5:59am On Jan 15
zegeijuwa:

🤣🤣🤣 Leave am make e dey run hin mouth upandan 🤣🤣.. but if na to move Nigerian s money he head go dey alright

2 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by zegeijuwa: 6:03am On Jan 15
ezebunafo:

impossible to clone a whatsapp number. Unless they swapped his simcard of which he would have lost signal.

Whatsapp generates OTP using device ID and mobile number and OTPs are have a validity period.

He gave out the out unknowingly or entered it on a phising link that dsiplayed it in plaintext to the attacker.

6 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Gandollar(f): 6:04am On Jan 15
I nearly fell victim. But the phone owner started sending text messages to her contact to alert them of the hacking. The second time, I had to call the phone owner to ask him if it was him asking for money and a voice resembling his own said "pay". I was confused and scared too because he may have been kidnapped by the hackers. But I didn't pay and no news of any kidnap both in the media and his friends.
They usually use Opay and the likes to receive the money.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by ABC101FF: 6:09am On Jan 15
Femisol:
Two factor authentication is very important.

What a big lesson
I still get hacked severally even with 2FA. I THINK THE PROBLEM LIES MAINLY WITH USING AFTER MARKET WHATSAPP (WhatsApp Mods).

4 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Nairalander248: 6:16am On Jan 15
PoliteActivist:
*Politeness*

Let's say, you are in the thousands cadre, someone in hundreds cadre would not believe someone would send your hacker 10k.

Remember it's naira not dollars wink

2 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Omoawoke2(m): 6:16am On Jan 15
This only happens in Nigeria, there’s no way the thief should not be traced and apprehended in a working system

4 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Omoawoke2(m): 6:18am On Jan 15
PoliteActivist:
*Politeness*

Lol, this things happen. Depends on your network.

3 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by symbianDON(m): 6:21am On Jan 15
zegeijuwa:
not necessarily. All they have to do is request whatsapp to set up a new phone while submitting the victim's number. Whatsapp then sends a pop-up to the the victim's phone. Once the victim clicks on OK on the pop-up, he's hacked!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by symbianDON(m): 6:22am On Jan 15
zegeijuwa:

impossible to clone a whatsapp number. Unless they swapped his simcard of which he would have lost signal.

Whatsapp generates OTP using device ID and mobile number and OTPs are have a validity period.

He gave out the out unknowingly or entered it on a phising link that dsiplayed it in plaintext to the attacker.
not true Sir. You can still get hacked without a link or sending any OTP!

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by zegeijuwa: 6:24am On Jan 15
symbianDON:
not true Sir. You can still get hacked without a link or sending any OTP!

impossible in case of whatsapp.

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by oliverwrites: 6:26am On Jan 15
PoliteActivist:
*Politeness*
Because you can't do it for your friends doesn't mean others can't.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Okoda Rider Who Killed A Policeman In Lagos Charged To Court For Murder / Police Arrest Suspect In Connection With Kidnap Of Rev. Fr. Mark In Abia (VIDEO) / Man Arrested For Defiling Neighbour’s 6-year-old Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.