Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,149 members, 7,815,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends (13958 Views)

How Scammers Defrauded Me Of ₦‎4,510,500 - Tolulope Ezekiel / I'm Suicidal Bet9ja Hacked My Account And Stole My Money - PHOTOS / How Scammers From Europe Use Phones To Cheat People In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by JuanDeDios: 6:29am On Jan 15
zegeijuwa:
Because you lacked very basic security measures. You gave out the OTP for your whatsapp after been social engineered. Check your sms you'd see the OTP and figure out when and how you gave it out. No magic here.
What's OTP of WhatsApp?
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by JuanDeDios: 6:35am On Jan 15
ABC101FF:
I still get hacked severally even with 2FA. I THINK THE PROBLEM LIES MAINLY WITH USING AFTER MARKET WHATSAPP (WhatsApp Mods).
What's Aftermarket WhatsApp (WhatsApp Mods)?
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by PoliteActivist: 6:55am On Jan 15
Nairalander248:

Let's say, you are in the thousands cadre, someone in hundreds cadre would not believe someone would send your hacker 10k.

Remember it's naira not dollars wink

Omoawoke2:

Lol, this things happen. Depends on your network.

oliverwrites:
Because you can't do it for your friends doesn't mean others can't.

Even Tinubu won't transfer "millions" just like that. Infact most bank apps have maximum of 1m or less
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by oliverwrites: 7:03am On Jan 15
PoliteActivist:

Even Tinubu won't transfer "millions" just like that. Infact most banks and apps have maximum of 1m or less

My app has 5m daily limit. You can have it customized and again, the fact that you can't do it for your friends doesn't mean others can't. Not everyone is a broke ass.
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by symbianDON(m): 7:08am On Jan 15
zegeijuwa:

impossible in case of whatsapp.
smiles...ok
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by GOFRONT(m): 7:25am On Jan 15
The security agents are also already deploying technology to geo-locate the perpetrators. Investigations by relevant agencies are still ongoing.”

The bolded above. Can you all see the readiness of our security agencies to deploy Technology to Geolocate perpetrators of a Senators whatsapp hackers??.........but cant deploy same tech to locate kidnappers and save their victims even within this small Abuja??

6 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by PoliteActivist: 7:33am On Jan 15
oliverwrites:
My app has 5m daily limit. You can have it customized and again, the fact that you can't do it for your friends doesn't mean others can't. Not everyone is a broke ass.

*Politeness*
Nigerian banks, which is where people have their money have maximum daily limit of 1m or less regular.
We are NOT discussing what they can afford to lend.
We are discussing transferring millions based on a whatsapp request for a loan.
Know exaggeration when you see it
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by mrksquare: 7:37am On Jan 15
Femisol:
Two factor authentication is very important.

What a big lesson

Yesterday I received a call from a fraudster with mobile number +2347048124384, who inquired from me if I was aware of the Zoom meeting of my secondary school Alma Mata billed for this week. That I should check the WhatsApp group and register accordingly.

The moment the call ended, I saw a prompt on my phone requesting me to accept the new WhatsApp security code.

Meanwhile, I did two factor authentication on my WhatsApp.

When I saw the prompt I was smart enough to know that the guy had wanted to hack my WhatsApp. I quickly declined the prompt. And sent him an SMS message that he has failed in his device.

We should be smart. Even with two factor authentication, your WhatsApp can be compromised.

And please kindly avoid this number +2347048124384 as he is a fraudster that goes about compromising people's WhatsApp.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by kay29000(m): 7:47am On Jan 15
Shellsploit:
Na when una go dey use trannsion devices grin grin grin grin

Can you please explain further

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by oliverwrites: 7:48am On Jan 15
PoliteActivist:

*Politeness*
Nigerian banks, which is were people have their money have maximum daily limit of 1m or less.
We are NOT discussing what they can afford to lend.
We are discussing transferring millions based on a whatsapp request for a loan.
Know exaggeration when you see ut
Do you know the meaning of *customize*?
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by webincomeplus(m): 7:49am On Jan 15
PoliteActivist:
*Politeness*
Very unlikely anybody would send "millions" tho.
Let's keep the exaggerations a bit believable
It's like you don't know how little millions of naira is in the eyes of these elites.

Na you wey no get much go dey think say na exaggeration.

If you're a multi-millionaire who needs cash for something urgent, you think you'll be asking those in your circle to assist you with 20k? And they'll believe you?

2 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Nairalander248: 7:51am On Jan 15
PoliteActivist:

Even Tinubu won't transfer "millions" just like that. Infact most banks and apps have maximum of 1m or less

Banks app maximum transfer limits a day now is 25m, wake up bro.

The senators are classified as PEP and FEP, you can't give them 1m transfer limit. Are you playing?

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by sylve11: 8:09am On Jan 15
mrksquare:

Yesterday I received a call from a fraudster who inquired from me if I was aware of the Zoom meeting of my secondary school Alma Mata billed for this week. That I should check the WhatsApp group and register accordingly.

The moment the call ended, I saw a prompt on my phone requesting me to accept the new WhatsApp security code.

When I saw the prompt I was smart enough to know that the guy had wanted to hack my WhatsApp. I quickly declined the prompt. And sent him an SMS message that he has failed in his device.

We should be smart. Even with two factor authentication, your WhatsApp can be compromised.

Exactly the method they used in hacking my uncle's whatsapp and up till this date, he's not been able to regain control of his whatsapp. sad cool

4 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by ABC101FF: 8:13am On Jan 15
JuanDeDios:

What's Aftermarket WhatsApp (WhatsApp Mods)?
GBWhatespp, FMWhatsapp, BlueWhatsapp, Whatsapp Aero etc.
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by cardoctor(m): 8:19am On Jan 15
You must have showed them you had so much on your phone.
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by PoliteActivist: 8:24am On Jan 15
Nairalander248:

Banks app maximum transfer limits a day now is 25m, wake up bro.

The senators are classified as PEP and FEP, you can't give them 1m transfer limit. Are you playing?

*Politeness*
The Nigerian banks I deal with, their app maximum daily limit is 1m or less regular (See Access below), regardless of who you are.
There's a reason for this - to limit losses from situations such as this

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by placeofallure(f): 8:35am On Jan 15
matify83:
Even with two step verification done, some of my colleagues have lost control of their whatsapp handle for days before taking back control and the scammers always use this same modus operandi of soliciting for money.

I often wonder why i will just transfer funds to my friend based on a text message without hearing from him.

That's it! Scammers got hold of one of my client's phone. She is wealthy so I was surprised when I got a message from her that I should send some money to an account on her behalf. Luckily for me, I was with a banker friend, I just mentioned it in passing, he said I should request to video call the sender of the message to verify if it was her. Na so I call tire dem no gree pick call o!

I quickly sent message to her other number that scammers are demanding money from me on her behalf. Before she could send word round, some had fallen victim. I have foiled 3 other attempts like that, WhatsApp and Facebook.

How could Sen. Afikuyomi's calibre of friends fall cheaply to that low level scam?

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Nairalander248: 8:44am On Jan 15
PoliteActivist:

*Politeness*
The Nigerian banks I deal with, their app maximum daily limit is 1m or less regular (See Access below), regardless of who you are.
There's a reason for this - to limit losses from situations such as this

Probably you are living below 5k daily. They are people that live above 1m daily. Mind you I have the same Access Bank app. That's just default limit on any app. You can increase that limit. PEPs and FEBs that used app for transfer can't use default transfer limit brother.

2 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by PoliteActivist: 8:51am On Jan 15
Nairalander248:

Probably you are living below 5k daily. They are people that live above 1m daily. Mind you I have the same Access Bank app. That's just default limit on any app. You can increase that limit. PEPs and FEBs that used app for transfer can't use default transfer limit brother.

*Politeness*
You said the max is now 25m. I don't see 25m anywhere.
I made it clear I was talking regular, which is not what you posted!

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by PoliteActivist: 8:58am On Jan 15
webincomeplus:

It's like you don't know how little millions of naira is in the eyes of these elites.

Na you wey no get much go dey think say na exaggeration.

If you're a multi-millionaire who needs cash for something urgent, you think you'll be asking those in your circle to assist you with 20k? And they'll believe you?

*Politeness*
Otedola will NOT whatsapp Dangote "lend me 5m, I'll pay you back Friday". Rich people simply don't operate that way.
People who operate that way usually need to borrow less than 1m

oliverwrites:
Do you know the meaning of *customize*?

I'm sure you know the meaning of regular. See below

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Blakjewelry(m): 9:13am On Jan 15
ezebunafo:
they cloned the WhatsApp number,so otp's will be sent also to the cloned number
Simple truth is most of the older gen don't know anything about 2 factor authentication.

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Blakjewelry(m): 9:18am On Jan 15
aikyg:
This has become common. The criminals target phones that have old versions of Whatsapp or phones that have malware preinstalled in them. The malware's job is to read your SMS and forward the SMS to the criminals. To prevent this:

1, Always make sure that your phone's OS is up to date.
2, Always ensure that your Whatsapp is up to date
3, Avoid buying foreign used phones, as most of them come with malware preinstalled.
4, Lastly, set up 2FA for you Whatsapp.
Most people still don't use 2FA, I bet he doesn't use. Even me I didn't use initially but when people started adding me to some group without my permission, I had to update my security.

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Blakjewelry(m): 9:22am On Jan 15
ABC101FF:
I still get hacked severally even with 2FA. I THINK THE PROBLEM LIES MAINLY WITH USING AFTER MARKET WHATSAPP (WhatsApp Mods).
Don't say you still get hacked, why would you use mod version in the the first place. How will get regular security update.
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Blakjewelry(m): 9:26am On Jan 15
Omoawoke2:
This only happens in Nigeria, there’s no way the thief should not be traced and apprehended in a working system
Even if the account number doesn't contains every security details what of the phone number used. Anyway I am always sceptical when dealing with some opay and other mobile bank account when dealing with an unknown individual.

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by armadeo(m): 9:33am On Jan 15
I wondered where this dude was since. Baller extraordinaire.

This guy was just ballin those days.
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by webincomeplus(m): 9:34am On Jan 15
PoliteActivist:

*Politeness*
Otedola will NOT whatsapp Dangote "lend me 5m, I'll pay you back Friday". Rich people simply don't operate that way.
People who operate that way usually need to borrow less than 1m

I'm sure you know the meaning of regular. See below
Otedola and Dangote might not have that kind of rapport. Every millionaire or billionaire still has people in their circle that they are not all that formal with.
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by MeineMutter: 9:34am On Jan 15
mrksquare:

Yesterday I received a call from a fraudster who inquired from me if I was aware of the Zoom meeting of my secondary school Alma Mata billed for this week. That I should check the WhatsApp group and register accordingly.

This same format has been trending on my alma mata’s forum.
In fact, the hac.kers have been attempting to hack my WhatsApp for over 2 weeks now.

He has called me with 2 different numbers, sent me a code. I guess he is getting tired because before, on a daily basis, he would send at least 12 email messages to WhatsApp, requesting to reset (turn-off) my 2-Step verification.

In recent time, he has reduced it to may be 2 emails in a day.

I have his numbers and I can share it here so that users can save them and be able to block them.

One of the hackers trailing me is on NL here. He even follows me. And I know him. He knows himself. 😁

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by JuanDeDios: 10:53am On Jan 15
ABC101FF:
GBWhatespp, FMWhatsapp, BlueWhatsapp, Whatsapp Aero etc.
Never heard of them. Interesting.
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by aywagze(m): 10:55am On Jan 15
Tales of a politician ..😂
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Arabaincubus: 11:41am On Jan 15
matify83:
Even with two step verification done, some of my colleagues have lost control of their whatsapp handle for days before taking back control and the scammers always use this same modus operandi of soliciting for money.

I often wonder why i will just transfer funds to my friend based on a text message without hearing from him.

Or doing a Whatsapp voice or video call with him.

These guys will usually not respond to such calls. That's how to scare them away.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Arrested For Defiling Neighbour’s 6-year-old Daughter / Police Arrest Suspect In Connection With Kidnap Of Rev. Fr. Mark In Abia (VIDEO) / Men Who Connived With Vigilante Group To Kidnap Government Official In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.