Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,132 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends (13960 Views)

How Scammers Defrauded Me Of ₦‎4,510,500 - Tolulope Ezekiel / I'm Suicidal Bet9ja Hacked My Account And Stole My Money - PHOTOS / How Scammers From Europe Use Phones To Cheat People In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by o123456789(m): 11:53am On Jan 15
jabor4Naija:

Then what is the essence of the two step verification if it can still be hacked? This is crazy
Two factor authentication is not a bullet proof against hacking...The pure truth is that no technology is 100% secure as of today, because hundreds of ways to hack each and every technology is continually in development and they are released every second.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Igboslayer: 12:12pm On Jan 15
PoliteActivist:
*Politeness*
Very unlikely anybody would send "millions" tho.
Let's keep the exaggerations a bit believable
You have no idea
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Tilewizy: 12:18pm On Jan 15
symbianDON:
not necessarily. All they have to do is request whatsapp to set up a new phone while submitting the victim's number. Whatsapp then sends a pop-up to the the victim's phone. Once the victim clicks on OK on the pop-up, he's hacked!

So quick question.
1. Is it the phone, I mean bank apps. that is hacked or the whatsap alone?
2. Then what is the implication for either one of them?

This almost happened to me last week.

The person called through whatsap in the afternoon from a so called WhatsApp group I belonged to, which is true.
He said we have a meeting by 8 pm and that a link for the zoom meeting has been sent to me and the code to use in connecting.

I said no problem and has God would have it. My phone was on loud speaker, so I wasn't close to it.

He now said I should send the code sent to me so he can tick attendance.

I was like, wtf? 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

You sent me a code to login in to a zoom meeting and you are asking I send it back to you.

I was like, no problem I would join the zoom meeting, so long as I have the time in the evening by 8pm.

He kept persisting, that was how I ended the call just like that. I just became irritated by the while thing.

When I pressed the screen of my phone to see who actually called, I realised a code sent to me and I almost clicked on "ok", since it was what automatically was displaying on the screen, it's something you can't easily miss, except you are a bit careful. One can mistakenly click on the "ok".

I was just lucky to tap on the "back" option on the phone screen, and that was how God saved me.

This is not the issue that one is greedy and that they would say you fell for the trick.

Person just dey him dey, the same technology that has come to help us, is now what they use to taunt us.

What can one really do to prevent this?

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Tilewizy: 12:24pm On Jan 15
mrksquare:

Yesterday I received a call from a fraudster who inquired from me if I was aware of the Zoom meeting of my secondary school Alma Mata billed for this week. That I should check the WhatsApp group and register accordingly.

The moment the call ended, I saw a prompt on my phone requesting me to accept the new WhatsApp security code.

Meanwhile, I did two factor authentication on my WhatsApp.

When I saw the prompt I was smart enough to know that the guy had wanted to hack my WhatsApp. I quickly declined the prompt. And sent him an SMS message that he has failed in his device.

We should be smart. Even with two factor authentication, your WhatsApp can be compromised.

Exactly same thing happened to me but different story used.

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by PoliteActivist: 2:19pm On Jan 15
webincomeplus:

Otedola and Dangote might not have that kind of rapport. Every millionaire or billionaire still has people in their circle that they are not all that formal with.

I'm pretty sure there's no one in their inner circle that'll whatsapp them for 5m "to be paid back next Friday". Very rich folks are simply NOT that way with money

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by payaseriy: 2:40pm On Jan 15
Omoawoke2:
This only happens in Nigeria, there’s no way the thief should not be traced and apprehended in a working system
your sin is more than that of that man.

You declared war on God and his prophet
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Omoawoke2(m): 2:42pm On Jan 15
payaseriy:
your sin is more than that of that man.

You declared war on God and his prophet

Why do you keep spamming every thread, creating fake monikers to advertise your failed business. TB Joshua no give you job?

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by payaseriy: 3:40pm On Jan 15
Omoawoke2:

Why do you keep spamming every thread, creating fake monikers to advertise your failed business. TB Joshua no give you job?
what am i spamming. Aren't you the hypocrite spamming trends to defy God ?
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by symbianDON(m): 3:48pm On Jan 15
Tilewizy:

So quick question.
1. Is it the phone, I mean bank apps. that is hacked or the whatsap alone?
2. Then what is the implication for either one of them?

This almost happened to me last week.

The person called through whatsap in the afternoon from a so called WhatsApp group I belonged to, which is true.
He said we have a meeting by 8 pm and that a link for the zoom meeting has been sent to me and the code to use in connecting.

I said no problem and has God would have it. My phone was on loud speaker, so I wasn't close to it.

He now said I should send the code sent to me so he can tick attendance.

I was like, wtf? 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

You sent me a code to login in to a zoom meeting and you are asking I send it back to you.

I was like, no problem I would join the zoom meeting, so long as I have the time in the evening by 8pm.

He kept persisting, that was how I ended the call just like that. I just became irritated by the while thing.

When I pressed the screen of my phone to see who actually called, I realised a code sent to me and I almost clicked on "ok", since it was what automatically was displaying on the screen, it's something you can't easily miss, except you are a bit careful. One can mistakenly click on the "ok".

I was just lucky to tap on the "back" option on the phone screen, and that was how God saved me.

This is not the issue that one is greedy and that they would say you fell for the trick.

Person just dey him dey, the same technology that has come to help us, is now what they use to taunt us.

What can one really do to prevent this?

1. It's only whatsapp that's hackable via this means
2. Once hacked, your account can be used by the hacker for anything! Mostly though, they would usually only send messages soliciting for money from your contacts. A typical message goes thus; Hello! Please i need to send 100k to someone urgently but my bank's network is bad. Kindly help send it. I will refund it as soon as the network is ok. Please send it to 80******* Palmpay. Thanks..

You were quite lucky to have pressed the back/cancel button otherwise you would have been hacked if you had pressed OK. Most people actually press OK inadvertently and get hacked! In your own case, the hacker tried a double-pronged attack: the link method as well as the direct reset/request method. If you haven't already set up a 2-factor authentication, do so now.

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Deemas(m): 6:18pm On Jan 15
PoliteActivist:

*Politeness*
Oh, I know they can request it, but even Tinubu won't transfer 1.5m just like that. Infact most banks and apps have maximum of 1m or less

You can set your limit upto 5m as you progress with transaction in the app that I use. Furthermore, if Mr A's level of risk as per scam is high, that of Mr B might be low. It is well, may we not fall victim of scammers.
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Tilewizy: 6:19pm On Jan 15
symbianDON:

1. It's only whatsapp that's hackable via this means
2. Once hacked, your account can be used by the hacker for anything! Mostly though, they would usually only send messages soliciting for money from your contacts. A typical message goes thus; Hello! Please i need to send 100k to someone urgently but my bank's network is bad. Kindly help send it. I will refund it as soon as the network is ok. Please send it to 80******* Palmpay. Thanks..

You were quite lucky to have pressed the back/cancel button otherwise you would have been hacked if you had pressed OK. Most people actually press OK inadvertently and get hacked! In your own case, the hacker tried a double-pronged attack: the link method as well as the direct reset/request method. If you haven't already set up a 2-factor authentication, do so now.

Thanks for your time.
I'm grateful.

Yeah there's actually 2 - factor authentication on the setting was wondering how that failed.

Its just God saved me.
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by PoliteActivist: 7:09pm On Jan 15
Deemas:

You can set your limit upto 5m as you progress with transaction in the app that I use. Furthermore, if Mr A's level of risk as per scam is high, that of Mr B might be low. It is well, may we not fall victim of scammers.

*Politeness*
Honestly why I made the statement is because a friend had like experience recently. He sent a loan of 50K to a friend, not knowing it was scam. He told everyone he sent 500K. cheesy
That's human nature. As long as they know u have no way of knowing the amount they actually sent! grin
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Deemas(m): 7:16pm On Jan 15
PoliteActivist:

*Politeness*
Honestly why I made the statement is because a friend had like experience recently. He sent a loan of 50K to a friend, not knowing it was scam. He told everyone he sent 500K. cheesy
That's human nature. As long as they know u have no way of knowing the amount they actually sent! grin

Sharp men everywhere in naija 😂

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by PoliteActivist: 7:25pm On Jan 15
Deemas:

Sharp men everywhere in naija 😂

The senator may not be lying but his friends very likely are. Some may not even have sent anything grin
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Deemas(m): 7:26pm On Jan 15
PoliteActivist:

The senator may not be lying but his friends very likely are. Some may not even have sent anything grin

I get your point my brother - in case the senator wants to consider a refund grin

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by PoliteActivist: 8:57pm On Jan 15
Deemas:

I get your point my brother - in case the senator wants to consider a refund grin

Voila! grin

Or be in his good books for lending him millions without even troubling him with verification
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Mandate1: 10:00pm On Jan 15
Connoisseur:

I had to look at your profile first.

Well, you are right🤷
nice profile name.
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by Connoisseur(m): 10:50pm On Jan 15
Mandate1:
nice profile name.

Gee, thanks
Profile names were very much available to choose in the early years.
It'd be hard now for the good ones are already taken
Re: Tokunbo Afikuyomi: How Scammers Hacked My Phone, Defrauded My Friends by BALLOSKI: 11:28pm On Jan 15

I must at this stage express my dismay with the lack of due diligence in the bank account opening and maintenance system in our country,” he said.

We told them this, but they don't care, until it happens to them.

Their staff can even login, take the snapshot of your account and send to hackers, so they can help pull money from your account.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Arrested For Defiling Neighbour’s 6-year-old Daughter / Police Arrest Suspect In Connection With Kidnap Of Rev. Fr. Mark In Abia (VIDEO) / Men Who Connived With Vigilante Group To Kidnap Government Official In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.