Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,902 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' (69333 Views)

Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) / The Ancient City Of Benin: Our Bronze Heritage In Pictures / BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by PhysicsHD: 5:40am On Apr 14, 2013
The google books link preview page that you posted isn't showing up for me. It says "You have either reached a page that is unavailable for viewing or reached your viewing limit for this book" so clearly those pages are unavailable. However I did scroll down to p. 217 of the book, which is actually visible to me, and I started reading down from there. I read the claims put forward by the author about strong cultural similarities or connections between Africa and Indonesia and I was amused because they were all extremely superficial connections that do not in any way require direct contact for those cultural practices and aspects to arise in different and distant human populations. The author (Arthur Morris Jones) of that 'Africa and Indonesia' book was basically grasping desperately for the slightest similarities and using these to infer deeper cultural or historic connections than actually existed.

The article by Blench I've seen and read before and I have to point out that

a) Blench is primarily a linguist, and he is definitely not an expert on the issue of West African art and its origins, the casting techniques used in that art, or the relationship between West African art traditions and the cultures that they are found in. Not surprisingly therefore, he is only putting forward a theory of there being evidence for ancient contact between southeast Asia and West Africa, not claiming that the inspiration of the Ife art is by ancient Indonesian migrations into West Africa.

Now in the part of the paper where he talks about elephantiasis and the supposed depiction of elephantiasis in some of the Nok art (which assumes that the art is depicting a real disease, and is not just deliberate exaggeration for some other reason) as mentioned by Willett in his 1967 book, the mistake there is that Blench's claim is simply incorrect - it is not necessary for the disease to have been transmitted by people migrating into West Africa from Southeast Asia.

First, elephantiasis (swelling and thickening of the lower limbs) can be caused by podoconiosis, which is simply caused by irritant soils in an environment and occurs in other areas of Africa without any interaction with non-Africans and without parasites being involved. In light of this, if one assumes that the figures in the Nok art are real depictions of people with diseased limbs or geni.tals, who is to say that podoconiosis or a similar disease to podoconiosis might not have affected the population in the Nok area, resulting in the depictions of swollen body parts in some of the art?

Second, assuming that there was elephantiasis caused by filariasis (caused by parasites), rather than podoconiasis, in central Nigeria, this disease could simply have reached other parts of Africa (such as East Africa) in ancient times (after those areas had had contact with people from Southeast Asia) and the disease could have been transmitted by migrants or traders from other parts of Africa, not directly from Southeast Asian migrants. The assumption that because there is "no continuous zone of infection from East Africa to West Africa" today it would have to have been transmitted directly from Southeast Asia to West Africa ignores the possibility that there could have been a continuous zone of infection in the past, before later population movements occurred in central Africa, and also ignores the possibility of the spread of the disease by long distance traders or through migrations or back-migrations from Eastern Africa to Western Africa in the past.

And of course, as Blench admits in his paper, the dates of the Nok art are too early to suggest direct Indonesian - Nigerian contact, anyway. So assuming that it was depicted in the Nok art, direct contact is not a good explanation of the elephantiasis.

b) Apart from the "elephantiasis in central Nigeria (the area of the Nok culture)" claim there is nothing else in the rest of Blench's article that could really imply a possible connection of Ife to Indonesia, so it is not necessary to comment on the rest of the article.

c) As I said earlier, the people in the art are clearly black. They don't even look mixed. The only way one could think that they have Asian eyes or "Asian nasal bridges" is if one doesn't know what black people and Indonesians look like, or if one somehow doesn't think that black people can have thin almond shaped eyes. There is nothing about their noses that looks non-black and the eyes don't actually look Asian.

d) When the art of Ife was first "discovered" by Westerners, all sorts of theories were put forward linking the origin of the culture and the art to the ancient Mediterranean. These kinds of claims have long been discredited by later researchers. The new focus of African and non-African people who want to link the origin of the art to another area today is North Africa (which is close to the Mediterranean) and the Middle East, but they aren't having much success. These external origin theories don't really have much going for them.

e) Most importantly, Indonesian art is just nothing like this art (or the Nok art, for that matter). There are basically no similarities.

3 Likes

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by PAPAAFRICA: 6:33am On Apr 14, 2013
PhysicsHD: The google books link preview page that you posted isn't showing up for me. It says "You have either reached a page that is unavailable for viewing or reached your viewing limit for this book" so clearly those pages are unavailable. However I did scroll down to p. 217 of the book, which is actually visible to me, and I started reading from down there. I read the claims put forward by the author about strong cultural similarities or connections between Africa and Indonesia and I was amused because they were all extremely superficial connections that do not in any way require direct contact to arise in different and distant human populations. The author (Arthur Morris Jones) of that 'Africa and Indonesia' book was basically grasping desperately for the slightest similarities and using these to infer deeper cultural or historic connections than actually existed.

a) Blench is primarily a linguist, and he is definitely not an expert on the issue of West African art and its origins, the casting techniques used in that art, or the relationship between West African art traditions and the cultures that they are found in. Not surprisingly therefore, he is only putting forward a theory of there being evidence for ancient contact between southeast Asia and West Africa, not claiming that the inspiration of the Ife art is by ancient Indonesian migrations into West Africa.

Now in the part of the paper where he talks about elephantiasis and the supposed depiction of elephantiasis in some of the Nok art (which assumes that the art is depicting a real disease, and is not just deliberate exaggeration for some other reason) as mentioned by Willett in his 1967 book, the mistake there is that Blench's claim is simply incorrect - it is not necessary for the disease to have been transmitted by people migrating into West Africa from Southeast Asia.

First, elephantiasis (swelling and thickening of the lower limbs) can be caused by podoconiosis, which is simply caused by irritant soils in an environment and occurs in other areas of Africa without any interaction with non-Africans and without parasites being involved. In light of this, if one assumes that the figures in the Nok art are real depictions of people with diseased limbs or geni.tals, who is to say that podoconiosis or a similar disease to podoconiosis might not have affected the population in the Nok area, resulting in the depictions of swollen body parts in some of the art?

Second, assuming that there was elephantiasis caused by filariasis (caused by parasites), rather than podoconiasis, in central Nigeria, this disease could simply have reached other parts of Africa (such as East Africa) in ancient times (after those areas had had contact with people from Southeast Asia) and the disease could have been transmitted by migrants or traders from other parts of Africa, not directly from Southeast Asian migrants. The assumption that because there is "no continuous zone of infection from East Africa to West Africa" today it would have to have been transmitted directly from Southeast Asia to West Africa ignores the possibility that there could have been a continuous zone of infection in the past, before later population movements occurred in central Africa, and also ignores the possibility of the spread of the disease by long distance traders or through migrations or back-migrations from Eastern Africa to Western Africa in the past.

And of course, as Blench admits in his paper, even if there was direct contact, the dates of the Nok art are too early to suggest direct Indonesian - central Nigerian contact, anyway. So assuming that it was depicted in the Nok art, direct contact is not a good explanation of the elephantiasis.

b) Apart from the "elephantiasis in central Nigeria (the area of the Nok culture" there is nothing else in the rest of Blench's article that could really imply a possible connection of Ife to Indonesia, so it is not necessary to comment on the rest of the article.

c) As I said earlier, the people in the art are clearly black. They don't even look mixed. The only way one could think that they have Asian eyes or "Asian nasal bridges" is if one doesn't know what black people and Indonesians look like, or if one somehow doesn't think that black people can have thin almond shaped eyes. There is nothing about their noses that looks non-black and the eyes don't actually look Asian.

d) When the art of Ife was first "discovered" by Westerners, all sorts of theories were put forward linking the origin of the culture and the art to the ancient Mediterranean. These kinds of claims have long been discredited by later researchers. The new focus of African and non-African people who want to link the origin of the art to another area today is North Africa (which is close to the Mediterranean) and the Middle East, but they aren't having much success. These external origin theories don't really have much going for them.

e) Most importantly, Indonesian art is just nothing like this art (or the Nok art, for that matter). There are basically no similarities.
this post is very thorough and well written. I'm definitely a fan of your posts. cool

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 11:56am On Apr 14, 2013
PhysicsHD: The google books link preview page that you posted isn't showing up for me. It says "You have either reached a page that is unavailable for viewing or reached your viewing limit for this book" so clearly those pages are unavailable. However I did scroll down to p. 217 of the book, which is actually visible to me, and I started reading down from there. I read the claims put forward by the author about strong cultural similarities or connections between Africa and Indonesia and I was amused because they were all extremely superficial connections that do not in any way require direct contact for those cultural practices and aspects to arise in different and distant human populations. The author (Arthur Morris Jones) of that 'Africa and Indonesia' book was basically grasping desperately for the slightest similarities and using these to infer deeper cultural or historic connections than actually existed.

And of course, as Blench admits in his paper, the dates of the Nok art are too early to suggest direct Indonesian - Nigerian contact, anyway. So assuming that it was depicted in the Nok art, direct contact is not a good explanation of the elephantiasis.

b) Apart from the "elephantiasis in central Nigeria (the area of the Nok culture)" claim there is nothing else in the rest of Blench's article that could really imply a possible connection of Ife to Indonesia, so it is not necessary to comment on the rest of the article.

Thank you physics, to me some people try to link something to the ile ife bronze cast art sculptures because of their thinking of black africans in general, in their minds Black africans are not capable of accomplishing that. I never heard of the Indonesia and West Africa connection. That is a stretch to me, and wrong. any way I am just glad Nigerians are getting the respect and acknowledgement now on the art they did solely on their own, the only influence I can say they have when it comes to bronze casting is from the Nok.

check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OPLF_nZOJ4
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 2:10am On Jul 12, 2013
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Nobody: 2:59am On Jul 12, 2013
so much of civilization is owed to accidental discoveries.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by PeterKbaba: 9:58am On Jul 20, 2013

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by PeterKbaba: 10:10am On Jul 20, 2013

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 11:41am On Jul 20, 2013
thank you for the videos
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by PeterKbaba: 7:19pm On Jul 21, 2013
anonymous6: thank you for the videos
You Welcome!
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by taharqa2: 7:23pm On Jul 21, 2013
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by taharqa2: 7:24pm On Jul 21, 2013
Great thread...

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by PeterKbaba: 10:11pm On Jul 21, 2013
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 3:05am On Oct 18, 2013
taharqa2: Great thread...

Thanks

PeterKbaba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeqOR3vqzw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg8yQmfQsyc

Thanks for the videos
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by tpia5: 4:19pm On Nov 06, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: what do you think of some who link ile ife and lost wax casting to Indonesians? i think they mostly think so because of the non "negroid" features you find of the brass castings, the asian shaped eyes and the bridge of the noses. i never understood why their features are the way they are though.

those are also black features but more commonly associated with non-blacks, for some reason.

why do you think they're non-negroid?

blacks are a very diverse race.

what i mean is seeing such features in blacks does not automatically translate to non-negroid, true, mixed may be a factor but not always.

the same features in others, could be from blacks.

2 Likes

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 6:54pm On Nov 08, 2013
tpia@:

those are also black features but more commonly associated with non-blacks, for some reason.

why do you think they're non-negroid?

blacks are a very diverse race.

what i mean is seeing such features in blacks does not automatically translate to non-negroid, true, mixed may be a factor but not always.

the same features in others, could be from blacks.

so true, Those features look negroid to me and anyone who says otherwise needs to take a look again. Also at that time they were a strong african empire who loved themselves and didn't have any self hate, so for the poster to imply that maybe they didn't have a accurate description of themselves is worng. I never heard them being linked to Indonesia, I feel some of those links were done to distance the accomlishmenst the Yoruba's did then, this video speaks more about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5f0JxwR-0k
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by lawani: 8:01pm On Jun 23, 2015
There are claims of migration from other places but the Yoruba have been sedentary for at least 10057 years, predating all other calendars on Earth. Take it or leave it that the Oduduwa came from Mecca and was crowned King at Ife a little over one thousand years ago. Oduduwa was not his real name but he was recognised as a reincarnation of an ancient female deity, a wife of Obatala named Oduduwa. The Yoruba could accept a total stranger as King because they saw all humans as from Ife and any new arrival was a homecoming. The man who arrived from Mecca introduced himself as a descendant of Nimrod or Lamurudu. That man was King of Babylon. He was Abraham's King and was reported to have once cast Abraham into the fire. He was the most illustrious man from the ancient middle East. No wonder the Meccan Oduduwa described himself as his descendant. To further puncture the Benin claim of the origin of Oduduwa, Oranmiyan founded Oyo Alaafin after a failed expedition from Ife to sack Mecca in revenge of Oduduwa's expulsion. He headed North, not South. The Benin claim of Oduduwa being Edo thus is deflated. Oduduwa was not Yoruba but he may have been able to communicate with Ife people. Even Ancient Egyptians spoke a form of Ife language. Even today Ifa initiates use Orofe, a dead language spoken in ancient Ife. Such a language might have been known by the newly arrived Oduduwa. Apparently thousands of bronze works remain to be unearthed and the Nok people were obviously ancient Ife people. Ife seemed to have moved around Nigeria and probably outside before settling at the present location. We must always remember that 10057 years of sedentary history predates all present cultures on Earth.

Also, aliens landing from space is a reality and not a fantasy. The first ife people landed from space. They were not indigenous to Earth. They founded Ife Otu which was a prosperous civilization before it collapsed. People landing from space was also recorded in the Bible. So Ogisos, Obatala, Orunmila landing from space are not fantastic stories as some may think.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by leederrty1997: 9:11pm On Jun 23, 2015
Yeah, thanks. Its a nice video. #respect for our culture. For more on Nigerian history, culture and tradition, places, legends, lifestyle in the past; visit www.oldnaija.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by leederrty1997: 9:12pm On Jun 23, 2015
Yeah, thanks. Its a nice video. #respect for our culture. For more on Nigerian history, culture and tradition, places, legends, lifestyle in the past; visit www.oldnaija. and thank me later.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by superduperjay: 10:51pm On Jun 24, 2015
very very beautiful. lovely thread op. culture and history is really deep.

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 3:32pm On Aug 28, 2015
superduperjay:
very very beautiful. lovely thread op. culture and history is really deep.

thank you
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by geosegun(m): 11:46pm On Oct 09, 2015
lakal:

No real knowledge from me on either -- here is a small quote about Osangangan being a deity. 

http://books.google.com/books?id=zMiV__25izEC&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=osangangan+deity&source=bl&ots=NVRn_EDOHT&sig=y_Kh9UD7T92X2rS0dgSjezOuaHQ&hl=en&ei=-uS_TpmRHIfj0QGbg_T0BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

The worship of noon, sun, moon, mountains, rivers, etc are all representative of an animistic religion.  Every natural feature in Yorubaland could be traditionally revered as a deity.

However I do know that the expression "osangangan" is used among Yorubas to refer to both the high noon time, as well as a climatic point. "Aiye l'a ba Ifa, Aiye l'a ba Imale, Osan gangan ni Igbagbo wole."   (Ifa existed before us, Islam existed before us, Afternoon is when Christianity came)
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by geosegun(m): 11:53pm On Oct 09, 2015
lakal:

No real knowledge from me on either -- here is a small quote about Osangangan being a deity. 

http://books.google.com/books?id=zMiV__25izEC&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=osangangan+deity&source=bl&ots=NVRn_EDOHT&sig=y_Kh9UD7T92X2rS0dgSjezOuaHQ&hl=en&ei=-uS_TpmRHIfj0QGbg_T0BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

The worship of noon, sun, moon, mountains, rivers, etc are all representative of an animistic religion.  Every natural feature in Yorubaland could be traditionally revered as a deity.

However I do know that the expression "osangangan" is used among Yorubas to refer to both the high noon time, as well as a climatic point. "Aiye l'a ba Ifa, Aiye l'a ba Imale, Osan gangan ni Igbagbo wole."   (Ifa existed before us, Islam existed before us, Afternoon is when Christianity came)

The interpretation was Aye la ba Ifa (Oracle ), Aye la ba Imonle (occult).....osan gangan ni Igbagbo wole.

Ask me anything about deep yorubs. I should be of help here.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 2:14pm On Oct 26, 2015
Bump
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by tpiar: 10:32pm On Feb 26, 2016
TerraCotta:
The last image is really interesting since there aren't a lot of images of the decorative terracotta tiling/potsherd pavements I've mentioned on the Internet. This is one of the most distinguishing features of Ife-related cultures. Check out the damaged head in the other image; there are sometimes dozens of fragments that have to be painstakingly reassembled by experts:

what book is this?

I havent gone through the thread fully.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by tpiar: 10:39pm On Feb 26, 2016
NegroNtns:
Here is a very good figure to show that Yoruba was a powerful civilization in AfroAsia. Compare to Biblical customs instructing High Priests to dress in exact same manner as shown in this figure.

Contrary to the label in Andrea Jemolo's site that places this figure, found in Jebba,  as an archer, he was in fact a priest as indicated by the adornment of his robe, breastplate, sash and ornamental bells in fron of him and the peyot attached to his hair, covered by the headgear. 

Note:   From a mystical perspective, peyot separate between the front part of the brain which is used for abstract thought that can be used for holiness, and the back part of the brain that governs the body.

this seems to be a different sculpture from the archer one.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 9:00pm On Mar 28, 2016

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by YonkijiSappo: 7:00am On Mar 18, 2017
Read from page to page.
Intriguing.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 11:19pm On Apr 08, 2017
YonkijiSappo:
Read from page to page.
Intriguing.

Glad you like it, please check out this documentary, it talks about african civilizations and the IFE kingdom and bronze cast art is mentioned
http://www.pbs.org/show/africas-great-civilizations/
http://www.pbs.org/video/2365943926/
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by AkinPhysicist: 1:53pm On May 20, 2017
yoruba documentary
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by geosegun(m): 9:05am On Dec 15, 2017
Excellent historical perspectives. I wish other tribes/cultures get the same attention so as to showcase African heritage and pre colonial civilizations.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Olu317(m): 12:26pm On Dec 15, 2017
Rgp92:
Very beautiful art. Made by Yoruba! We really are special to Africa grin grin
Understatement because we are special to the World. Unequalled Yoruba Art work made from alloy copper in the the past that no ART work in any part of the world ever surpassed this feat. God bless Yoruba Nation.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Masquerade, Ajeron, Cleanses Ajegunle Of Coronavirus (Photos) / Which Is The Easiest Nigerian Language To Learn? / 19 Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Okrika, Rivers State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.