Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,119 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:20 AM

‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . (35409 Views)

Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos / Giannis Antetokounmpo Signs $228 Million Deal - The Richest In NBA History / Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes Forbes Highest Paid NBA Players 2018 List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by omojoibo: 11:41am On Jan 17
As an NBA champion, the game of basketball has taken Giannis Antetokounmpo all around the globe, not only in terms of physical presence but also in regards to influence. But out of all the places that the superstar athlete has touched down in, there was one locale that was calling him, a country that he'd never been: Nigeria.

While the world knows Antetokounmpo for his Greek nationality, popularly touted as the "Greek Freak," a nickname he's embraced, those closest to him call him "Ugo." It's the star's Nigerian name, as he's the son of parents Charles and Veronica Adetokunbo. They immigrated from Lagos to Athens, having to change their surname to Antetokounmpo in the process, and there, the star and three of his four brothers were born.

Since then, the Greek-Nigerian has accomplished plenty,going from playing in youth clubs in Athens to being drafted into the NBA, becoming a champion in 2021 and being named one of the league's greatest players of all time as part of the NBA 75th Anniversary Team. But in all those years, his 29 years specifically, he'd never been home home.

So this past summer, after missing out on the chance to visit Nigeria in 2020 due to the pandemic, Antetokounmpo and his mom, Vera, made the trek to his father's land. For his first trip to Lagos, the star was also accompanied by a film crew, including director Rick Famuyiwa, himself the son of Nigerian immigrants, to capture the experience for a new documentary done with WhatsApp, with whom Antetokounmpo has a partnership

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/now-i-know-who-i-am-giannis-antetokounmpo-makes-an-epic-first-trip-home-to-nigeria-in-moving-doc-ugo/ar-AA1n5gdC?ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=cc9e04fd5bfe4fc8838a546e30211087&ei=37#image=1

36 Likes 10 Shares

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by dawnomike(m): 11:52am On Jan 17
Welcome home!

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by PoloG: 12:13pm On Jan 17
Great omoluabi putting the race on the world map cool

341 Likes 26 Shares

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by naptu2: 12:22pm On Jan 17
Someone sold him a Giannis shirt at Balogun and the person didn't know who he was. The person knew Giannis Antetokounmpo, but he didn't know that the person standing in front of him was Giannis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4sgeS1EBLA?si=bRSFZUAr2OH_5RYT

78 Likes 10 Shares

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by callmevirus(m): 12:22pm On Jan 17
Nothing concern me but E dey mind

Igbo amaka

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by itsIYKE(m): 12:22pm On Jan 17
Welcome home Ugochukwu……Igbos are great

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Vyzz: 12:22pm On Jan 17
Ikenga

6 Likes

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by tobtap: 12:23pm On Jan 17
cool

1 Like

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Kaxmytex(m): 12:23pm On Jan 17
Kaabo, omo rere bi iyan
Ndewo, ezigbo nwa
barka da zuwa, yaron kirki

64 Likes 10 Shares

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Andyblaze: 12:23pm On Jan 17
I am his elder bro

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Tonididdyx: 12:24pm On Jan 17
He will surely be back as you see that swallow... "He won't forget it in a hurry! "

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by 6ixVille: 12:24pm On Jan 17
My brother

2 Likes

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by YorubaLord: 12:24pm On Jan 17
Yoruba l'agba! cool

340 Likes 22 Shares

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by ATEAMS: 12:24pm On Jan 17
The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Seunpapa65: 12:24pm On Jan 17
Omo I watch the movie it really makes sense

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by spiSeyi: 12:25pm On Jan 17
callmevirus:
Nothing concern me but E dey mind

Igbo amaka
Edo/Yoruba Amaka undecided , Meanwhile one love to my Igbo bro&sisters, Hausa brethren and Yoruba people. Nigerians are great and beautiful people, I love ❤️ Nigeria 🇳🇬

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Nbotee(m): 12:25pm On Jan 17
Hh

1 Like

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Justinpm(m): 12:25pm On Jan 17
omojoibo:
As an NBA champion, the game of basketball has taken Giannis Antetokounmpo all around the globe, not only in terms of physical presence but also in regards to influence. But out of all the places that the superstar athlete has touched down in, there was one locale that was calling him, a country that he'd never been: Nigeria.

While the world knows Antetokounmpo for his Greek nationality, popularly touted as the "Greek Freak," a nickname he's embraced, those closest to him call him "Ugo." It's the star's Nigerian name, as he's the son of parents Charles and Veronica Adetokunbo. They immigrated from Lagos to Athens, having to change their surname to Antetokounmpo in the process, and there, the star and three of his four brothers were born.

Since then, the Greek-Nigerian has accomplished plenty,going from playing in youth clubs in Athens to being drafted into the NBA, becoming a champion in 2021 and being named one of the league's greatest players of all time as part of the NBA 75th Anniversary Team. But in all those years, his 29 years specifically, he'd never been home home.

So this past summer, after missing out on the chance to visit Nigeria in 2020 due to the pandemic, Antetokounmpo and his mom, Vera, made the trek to his father's land. For his first trip to Lagos, the star was also accompanied by a film crew, including director Rick Famuyiwa, himself the son of Nigerian immigrants, to capture the experience for a new documentary done with WhatsApp, with whom Antetokounmpo has a partnership

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/now-i-know-who-i-am-giannis-antetokounmpo-makes-an-epic-first-trip-home-to-nigeria-in-moving-doc-ugo/ar-AA1n5gdC?ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=cc9e04fd5bfe4fc8838a546e30211087&ei=37#image=1
This is lovely

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by cornelman: 12:26pm On Jan 17
Yoruba and Igbo blood.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Earlystar698(m): 12:26pm On Jan 17
Make he dey score points weller weller for us grin

2 Likes

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by 175(m): 12:26pm On Jan 17
Andyblaze:
I am his elder bro

For real?
Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Chetas81(m): 12:26pm On Jan 17
THE GUY WITH NO DIRTY DREADLOCK, HE NEVER LOOK LIKE MAD MAN ON THE STREET

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Swagt101(m): 12:28pm On Jan 17
Welcome home champ!
Milwaukee Bucks star, been enjoying his partnership with Dame Lillard.

It's saddening most Nigerians don't know him like Naptu pointed out up there about someone selling him his Jersey at Balogun market without recognising him. That shows how poor our knowledge of sports is.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Smartjeezy01(m): 12:28pm On Jan 17
Welcome home naija blood.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Starboytwo(m): 12:28pm On Jan 17
Champ.

1 Like

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Anguldi(m): 12:30pm On Jan 17
tongue
Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by flexyrule(m): 12:30pm On Jan 17
Over 234.5 incl OT.

If you know, you know...

9 Likes

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by NoSmoking: 12:31pm On Jan 17
Welcome

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Liverpool Release New 2019-20 Season Home Kit, Salah & Co Show Off (Photos) / Rasheedat Ajibade Moves To Atletico Madrid / Loanee Matt Fined For Grabbing Denzel Dumfries' Manhood During Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.