Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,133 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:39 AM

Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos (29655 Views)

‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . / Giannis Antetokounmpo Signs $228 Million Deal - The Richest In NBA History / Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes Forbes Highest Paid NBA Players 2018 List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Nonny95: 10:21am On Jan 19
Nigerian-Greek NBA star Giannis Antetokounmpo has unveiled a learning centre in Lagos, Nigeria, aimed at promoting Igbo literacy among children.

The announcement was made in a YouTube documentary titled ‘UGO: A Homecoming Story,’ featuring Giannis and his mother, who migrated from Nigeria to Greece 35 years ago.

The 29-year-old, born in Athens, is a two-time NBA Most Valuable Player and currently plays for the Milwaukee Bucks in the United States.

The documentary, produced in collaboration with the Giannis Foundation CAFF (Charles Antetokounmpo Family Foundation), WhatsApp, and the nonprofit organization NABU, showcases the NBA star’s commitment to education.

The Lagos hub, initiated through this collaboration, focuses on promoting literacy with Igbo children’s books. Giannis Antetokounmpo’s efforts underscore the importance of cultural and educational initiatives, emphasizing his dedication to making a positive impact beyond the basketball court.

https://westafricaweekly.com/giannis-antetokounmpo-unveils-igbo-learning-centre-for-kids-in-lagos/

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Nonny95: 10:21am On Jan 19
Okay

7 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Pierohandsome: 11:01am On Jan 19
People born outside, and never have any link with Nigeria aside that maybe one of their parents or Grand parents are Nigerians , will still return back to do something for the country.

But the ones with full Nigeria affiliation will not do anything , rather they buy multiple cars and post on Instagram, bad mouthing Nigeria and be bragging up and down.

Goodwill sometimes stems from our environment rather than blood

235 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by CandidAdmin(m): 11:27am On Jan 19
I thought it was Adetokunbo?

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Brendaniel: 12:26pm On Jan 19
Some people are highly disappointed, after bragging with him on ethnic grounds on the other thread, the guy is even focusing on Igbo heritage.

I know some of them will come and call him bastard as usual....

196 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Soulsymbol99: 12:31pm On Jan 19
They guy go buy em (fake) jersey 4 market grin if only the guy that sold it to him knew who he was,say the guy fut change his story grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by KosiGee(m): 12:32pm On Jan 19
CandidAdmin:

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Armaggedon: 12:33pm On Jan 19
Brendaniel:
Some people are highly disappointed, after bragging with him on ethnic grounds on the other thread, the guy is even focusing on Igbo heritage.

I know some of them will come and call him bastard as usual....
Not surprising. It's common for most Nigerians with Igbo maternal links to identify as Igbo .

147 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Namaster: 12:33pm On Jan 19
You can ALWAYS count on black people to be especially DUMB. It doesn't matter how wealthy or famous they get.

Imagine establishing an Igbo Language learning school IN Lagos. A language that kids probably ONLY speak at home where they'd already learn it anyway.

It's an EXTREMELY dumb initiative.

Kids don't need to learn a language that is NOT the official language of any country. A language that's spoken by only about 40/50 million people.

Rather, a talent scouting agency or coding school or even trade school would have been a better project.

100 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by CandidAdmin(m): 12:48pm On Jan 19

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Golan007: 2:19pm On Jan 19
CandidAdmin:

It is.

14 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Preferito(m): 3:26pm On Jan 19
I watched the documentary and I didn't feel good when he said that his mum always frown at them whenever they try to speak Yoruba at home but she was cool with them speaking Igbo. His father is Yoruba while his mother is Igbo. But that doesn't mean that she should shield them from learning their father's culture.

178 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Zool6: 4:21pm On Jan 19
Some men are too possessive and always see women as commodities they bought with money there dad probably didn't want the children to learn anything about there mother side reason for clash of intrest I have seen where men even go physical on there wives just for speaking her own language to her kids
but such men always end up loosing out as most children tend to have soft spot and embraces there mother the more

We can't have kids together only for u to ban them from learning about my culture and language but must learn only urs
It dosen't work like that why not allow the kids learn both ur language and that of there mum doese it stop them from being ur kids or u being there father??

Preferito:
I watched the documentary and I didn't feel good when he said that his mum always frown at them whenever they try to speak Yoruba at home but she was cool with them speaking Igbo. His father is Yoruba while his mother is Igbo. But that doesn't mean that she should shield them from learning their father's culture.

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Ishilove: 4:47pm On Jan 19
Antetokounmpo

Ade-Tokunbo

16 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by ednut1(m): 4:47pm On Jan 19
Agbado thugs on Twitter are already crying 😭

74 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Sirchiboy: 4:48pm On Jan 19
Igbo amaka

67 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by sammirano: 4:48pm On Jan 19
Lolz. Wasted

6 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Kionrae: 4:48pm On Jan 19
Igbo amaka
Ugo nwafor Igbo you're doing well
Ya gazie

71 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by DanseMacabre(m): 4:48pm On Jan 19
Amazing. Before the documentary, I never knew he had Igbo blood. Nigeria's loss anyways, and I know for certain if he'd remained in this godforsaken country he'd be just another statistic.

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Iceberg3: 4:48pm On Jan 19
Highly dumb.

Just so y'all know,Giannis is pronounced Yani

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Sirchiboy: 4:48pm On Jan 19
God bless Mazi Giannis Chukwubuka

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by paxx: 4:48pm On Jan 19
Preferito:

The father was upset when the mom would teach Igbo also. Inter tribal marriages should teach kids both languages and cultures. Inter tribal marriages are the key to ONE NIGERIA smiley <3

Guys please dont make this tribal. Everyone knows kids tend to speak their mother's language and tend to be close to mom hence the term MOTHER TONGUE.

67 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Alabaintprice(m): 4:48pm On Jan 19
Namaster:
You can ALWAYS count on black people to be especially DUMB. It doesn't matter how wealthy or famous they get.

Imagine establishing an Igbo Language learning school IN Lagos. A language that kids probably ONLY speak at home where they'd already learn it anyway.

Kids don't need to learn a language that is NOT the official language of any country. A language that's spoken by only about 40/50 million people.

Rather, a talent scouting agency or coding school or even trade school would have been a better project.

But the money is not your own....

86 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by christejames(m): 4:48pm On Jan 19
That's so noble of him...

Igbo ga diiii!

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by illicit(m): 4:49pm On Jan 19
Sha no tell me say u be obidient

🥵

3 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Ttipsy(f): 4:49pm On Jan 19
Kionrae:
Igbo amaka
Ugo nwafor Igbo you're doing well
Ya gazie
k

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by DanseMacabre(m): 4:50pm On Jan 19
CandidAdmin:

That's the Hellenic (Greek) pronunciation.

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Mandate2023: 4:50pm On Jan 19
Dis 1 no build health centre or proper sch na nonsense he dey build.....that place will soon become baby factory

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Illshef(m): 4:50pm On Jan 19
Namaster:

Says someone who has not achieved anything tangible in life.

52 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by tunchi014(m): 4:50pm On Jan 19
Namaster:

... What h have you done for the next generation?

49 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos by Johnthesuccess: 4:51pm On Jan 19
Preferito:

Really!!!! What a very weak father.

19 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Higher Institution Games Kick-start In July (See List Of Participating Schools) / Mane And Salah Reveal Their 'idols' / Mohamed Salah Crowned FWA Footballer Of The Year For 2022!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.