Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,072 members, 7,821,678 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . (35470 Views)

Giannis Antetokounmpo Unveils Igbo Learning Centre For Kids In Lagos / Giannis Antetokounmpo Signs $228 Million Deal - The Richest In NBA History / Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes Forbes Highest Paid NBA Players 2018 List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by DatNaijaGuy: 5:03pm On Jan 17
Giannis my man.
Legend...
Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by TakeNigeriaBack: 5:49pm On Jan 17
ATEAMS:
The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

To be useful to who? Abeg clear road, if you're not happy your life is a waste.
Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Alamu5891: 6:14pm On Jan 17
itsIYKE:
Welcome home Ugochukwu……Igbos are great
he never related with Igbo

Him papa name na Charles Adetokunbo
Him mama name na Veronica Adetokunbo

Ugo he's bearing is just a nickname
Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Kennyswag: 6:29pm On Jan 17
PROUDIGBO:

Here's yet another accomplished Ugochukwu! Does he look like a 'animal' to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC445rBA0C0?si=vbnPxrn4WtK-cTAz
nobody cares about this unknown omo igbo

1 Like

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Roh50(f): 6:34pm On Jan 17
obaidan:

wow that's a powerful documentary......Giannis is such a vibe, you know there's a way being on the world stage take away your root from you, this documentary highlights his Nigerianess, he is so Nigerian, the jokes, the vibes, the way he talks, the way he eats.

I really give it to his parents in raising him and his brothers. They made sure that they were taught their true heritage and it reflected so much in his personality. The parents tried despite their differences in not wanting him to learn the other
parent language .

One vital thing I took from this documentary is that we should be proud to identify with who we really are. Been black, been Africa, been Nigeria, been either Igbo, Hause, Yoruba, Benin, Ijaw, Fulani or Efik or whatever ethnic group you come from is not a mistake, is who you truly are no matter where you go.
Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by PHAYOL81: 7:13pm On Jan 17
Great. Omoluabi atata

3 Likes

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Ideal9ja: 7:25pm On Jan 17
A true Nigerian🇳🇬
Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Charlie2020(f): 7:50pm On Jan 17
"Immigrated from Lagos to Athens" grin cheesy
Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by HOSTCOM(m): 8:12pm On Jan 17
flexyrule:
Over 234.5 incl OT.

If you know, you know...
I know, I know and I know my G...your dey there 👊
Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Malawian(m): 10:04pm On Jan 17
PoloG:
Great omoluabi putting the race on the world map cool
Werey wan tiff another Chinedu?

1 Like

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Malawian(m): 10:24pm On Jan 17
Which part of Yorubaland is his dad from?
pquaver:

His father is yoruba the momis igbo.. So is more like chinedu rhodes vivour...

So omoluabi annd igbo amaka to d world.. More like
Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by ghettochild4u(m): 2:09am On Jan 18
Where is his Dad in all of this documentary??¿
Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Konquest: 2:11am On Jan 18
omojoibo:
As an NBA champion, the game of basketball has taken Giannis Antetokounmpo all around the globe, not only in terms of physical presence but also in regards to influence. But out of all the places that the superstar athlete has touched down in, there was one locale that was calling him, a country that he'd never been: Nigeria.

While the world knows Antetokounmpo for his Greek nationality, popularly touted as the "Greek Freak," a nickname he's embraced, those closest to him call him "Ugo." It's the star's Nigerian name, as he's the son of parents Charles and Veronica Adetokunbo. They immigrated from Lagos to Athens, having to change their surname to Antetokounmpo in the process, and there, the star and three of his four brothers were born.

Since then, the Greek-Nigerian has accomplished plenty,going from playing in youth clubs in Athens to being drafted into the NBA, becoming a champion in 2021 and being named one of the league's greatest players of all time as part of the NBA 75th Anniversary Team. But in all those years, his 29 years specifically, he'd never been home home.

So this past summer, after missing out on the chance to visit Nigeria in 2020 due to the pandemic, Antetokounmpo and his mom, Vera, made the trek to his father's land. For his first trip to Lagos, the star was also accompanied by a film crew, including director Rick Famuyiwa, himself the son of Nigerian immigrants, to capture the experience for a new documentary done with WhatsApp, with whom Antetokounmpo has a partnership

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/now-i-know-who-i-am-giannis-antetokounmpo-makes-an-epic-first-trip-home-to-nigeria-in-moving-doc-ugo/ar-AA1n5gdC?ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=cc9e04fd5bfe4fc8838a546e30211087&ei=37#image=1
Yup! Giannis 'Sina Ugo Adetokunbo... One of five sons of a Yoruba father from Abeokuta in Ogun State and a mother from Delta North (Anioma) in Delta State.

I wish Charles Adetokunbo was still alive to help in fully integrating his four sons who were born in Greece with his paternal roots in Lagos and Ogun States. Coincidentally I watched a documentary film on these boys just yesterday and noticed that the two youngest Adetokunbo boys have strong American accents. Only Giannis and his immediate older brother who both play in the NBA still have the strong Greek accents.

Nice to know Giannis Adetokunbo made it to the motherland for the first time ever.

Only three players in NBA history have earned both the MVP and Defensive Player of the Year awards in the same campaign, with Antetokounmpo (Adetokunbo) and Hakeem Olajuwon being two of those along with Michael Jordan.

#Giannis, walking in the footsteps of my OG, Hakeem "the dream" Olajuwon of the Houston Rockets and the NBA MVP back in 1994.

2 Shares

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:22am On Jan 18
Konquest:

Yup! Giannis Adetokunbo... One of five sons of a Yoruba father from Abeokuta in Ogun State and a mother from Delta North (Anioma) in Delta State.

I wish Charles Adetokunbo was still alive to help in fully integrating his four sons who were born in Greece with his paternal roots in Lagos and Ogun States. Coincidentally I watched a documentary film on these boys just yesterday and noticed that the two youngest Adetokunbo boys have strong American accents. Only Giannis and his immediate older brother who both play in the NBA still have the strong Greek accents.

Nice to know Giannis Adetokunbo made it to the motherland for the first time ever.

#Giannis, in the footsteps of my OG, the NBA MVP, Hakeem "the dream" Olajuwon.

Hehehehehe grin grin grin

If you admit his Mum is Igbo will it kill you or hook you in the throat!? Tomorrow now when he wants to vie for gubernatorial election in Lagos, you wouldn't hesitate to remind him he's 'omoyibo' and tell him to get lost! shocked

3 Likes

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by pquaver(m): 2:31am On Jan 18
Malawian:

Watch the videos... He said it there himself.. Do you know more than him?

1 Like

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Konquest: 2:34am On Jan 18
Malawian:
Giannis' father Charles Adetokunbo hailed from Abeokuta in Ogun State but lived in Lagos with his wife and first born before migrating to Greece in the early 1990s.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Konquest: 3:04am On Jan 18
naptu2:
Someone sold him a Giannis shirt at Balogun and the person didn't know who he was. The person knew Giannis Antetokounmpo, but he didn't know that the person standing in front of him was Giannis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4sgeS1EBLA?si=bRSFZUAr2OH_5RYT
Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Konquest: 3:08am On Jan 18
sukkot:
Very sad story in how his dad and his mother hated each other’s culture and were trying to impose their own respective culture on the children. He said his dad would get angry if his mom tried to teach him Igbo and his mom would get angry if the dad tried to teach him Yoruba and because of that he never learnt any Nigerian language because he didn’t want to let any of his parents down by learning the others language and culture. Such a toxic environment.
Sukkot, Happy New Year once again.

Giannis Adetokunbo could have exaggerated a bit on that... I doubt if the Adetokunbo couple would have been openly hostile to each other's languages like that after being married for so long (Charles Adetokunbo being originally from Abeokuta in Ogun State and Veronica Adetokunbo being from Delta North in Delta State). Moreover they lived in Lagos State where Yoruba is openly spoken before migrating to Greece back in the early 1990s.

It's also the duty of a father to teach his kids his own language and the duty of the mother to teach her kids her own language in a multiethnic marriage. In the event that a woman is very fluent in both languages, then she can teach both since linguists say kids are able to learn or assimilate multiple languages at once.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by Konquest: 3:45am On Jan 18
PoloG:
his name is giannis adetokunbo but spelt in greek form.

he is a proud yoruba blood and not an omo igbo tongue
Even the name "Antetokoumpo" is NOT a Greek name. Many Greeks who were interviewed don't know the literal meaning.
The publication that did the interviews later found out from Giannis that the name means "from across the sea" which is just the same translation of the Yoruba family name Adetokunbo which means "a crown brought from across the sea (or ocean)."

The name Antetokoumpo is just a bastardized or corrupted form of the original family name Adetokunbo. The silly Greek passport guys allegedly misspelled the name but I find the excuse ridiculous. I watched a 2016 NBA documentary and the younger Giannis was still using the surname Adetokunbo when he came in newly to the U.S. from Greece. I strongly wish the whole family could ditch that corrupted version (of the prestigious Yoruba name Adetokunbo) called "Antetokoumpo" and REVERT to the real Adetokunbo family name on their travel passports and on their team jerseys. Period.
Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by itsIYKE(m): 5:02am On Jan 18
Alamu5891:
he never related with Igbo

Him papa name na Charles Adetokunbo
Him mama name na Veronica Adetokunbo

Ugo he's bearing is just a nickname
E pain this one grin
nickname indeed......what is his yoruba name? cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by itsIYKE(m): 5:03am On Jan 18
PoloG:
his name is giannis adetokunbo but spelt in greek form.

he is a proud yoruba blood and not an omo igbo tongue
His name is ugochukwu....what is his yoruba name? grin grin......e pain am
Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by itsIYKE(m): 5:04am On Jan 18
Misterone:
Can Yoruba parents have an Igbo child?
yoruba parents indeed grin, his igbo name is ugochukwu what is his yoruba name?......go and cry by the corner
Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by ariesbull: 5:32am On Jan 18
itsIYKE:
Welcome home Ugochukwu……Igbos are great

2 Likes

Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by yinkeys(m): 5:33am On Jan 18
How many of you stay up late to watch the NBA games ?
Re: ‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . by ariesbull: 5:34am On Jan 18
PROUDIGBO:

The guy is of both Yoruba and Igbo heritage!

He esta kished Igbo learning centre in Lagos...he is more of an Igbo cos he wants his mother tongue to be spike which is Igbo

Though he might have a Yoruba father but what role did he play in bringing Yoruba consciousness in the child ?

So he is more of an Igbo...

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"This Is A Bad Dream" - Emiliano Sala's Father Reacts As Plane Wreckage Is Found / Hazard, Ramos,bale, Modric And Others Resume Training For Real Madrid / 13 Under-16 Soccer Team Trapped In Underwater Cave For 5days In Thailand(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.