Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,900 members, 7,810,458 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:23 AM

Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail (30208 Views)

Four UK Health Workers Jailed For Abusing Elderly Patient / 313 New COVID-19 Cases, 89 Discharged And 5 deaths On May 24 - (1225 Tested) / 8 New Cases Of Coronavirus In Nigeria. 7 In Lagos, 1 Benue. 89 Confirmed Cases (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by TwoPheus: 7:13am On Jan 19
This is almost the same way some medical practitioners, mostly nurses handle patients in Nigerian hospitals, without any compassion as if they are forced into the job..... nonsense!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by honour7: 7:13am On Jan 19
I am going to saner clime, are you sane enough to be in a saner clime

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by bemeruca: 7:16am On Jan 19
oluwaahmed:

Did you even watch the video? Always quick so support a Whiteman destroying your fellow black. Slave. Can't you see the woman was difficult that people had to come assist. Sending them to jail is just racism

How is that a white man destroying your fellow black man? If that's the case why don't they stay in their own black man country?

An abuse was going on. Bruises was the reason they put up the camera. They could have reported any difficult situation to the children of the woman.

5 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by othermen: 7:16am On Jan 19
For dis place, I dey see comments wey dey give me concern. Dis talk wey dem talk here, e no follow at all. E don happen before, dis pattern of abuse no be today own. No talk say because old person fit dey waka anyhow, e mean say you fit assault am. No dey accept am. As person wey dem dey pay for caregiving, no get excuse to carry leg waka enter abusive behavior.

If you dey see stubborn old person, make you report the matter, talk say e dey affect how you fit take care of the person wey need help. You fit find more training on how to handle difficult behavior, come find solution wey go make sense. People wey don handle similar situations without professional training sabi say patience and compassion dey important when you dey care for sick person.

2 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by gabbytabby: 7:18am On Jan 19
I have stayed in hospital for over 4 weeks and had the opportunity to observe people at work and seen the differences in how people are cared for, the body language.

If someone has dementia they are not there and often need you to pet them even to help them. Some particular staff will come and will be so good that even the difficult ones will at least be quiet or have conversations with them.

Make Una change una bad attitude and respect that money you are collecting to take care of your family as hardship for abroad no be your mate.

Some of them even want to bring down abroad standard to 9ja standard and then wonder why they are receiving so much complaints and are eventually got rid of. They are not going to change their standard for you.

It’s called care for a reason so if you can’t care don’t take a caring job.

Klchnjoku:
Where is the maltreatment?

I didn't see them beating her on any other form of physical abuse.

Anyone who has lived with people with dementia will know taking care of people with dementia are one of the hardest things to do, especially if such individuals are old and stubborn naturally.

Maybe the UK authorities themselves should take it upon themselves to take care of that woman individually for just a week and let's see if they won't do worse to that aged woman than those four Nigerians.

Even if you are patient and have empathy, if you meet individuals who are stubborn.. you will lose every shred of patience and empathy in you and if you are not careful you might physically abuse the patient but from that video there's no form of physical abuse.

Exactly.. most people haven't lived with such people...
If you have lived with a family member especially aged ones who has mental illness, I doff my hat for you cos you are doing a great job.
Aged people with mental illness are even harder to take care of than new born babies

The UK authorities themselves knows this, that's why they gave those people a very short sentence.
Care givers are trying abeg, though some of them are actually wicked but those four have done nothing wrong from that video

Some of you will just open your mouth waaaah.. you are not in those people's shoes so you don't know how hard it is.

If you have lived with aged people who have dementia and on top of that dementia they are stubborn... even you who taking care of them will lose your sanity.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by micodon(m): 7:19am On Jan 19
oluwaahmed:

Did you even watch the video? Always quick so support a Whiteman destroying your fellow black. Slave. Can't you see the woman was difficult that people had to come assist. Sending them to jail is just racism

You're a senseless retard. Would you treat your grandmother that way? Always playing the racism card. They got the job, didn't they?

5 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Yampotatocarrot(m): 7:20am On Jan 19
InvertedHammer:
/
The abuse I noticed:

1). The way they raised her legs.
2). Presence of male caregivers robbed her of her personal dignity and privacy.
It is mostly lack of proper training and less of Nigerian factor in this case.
/

Exactly... To me, those added to the pillow hitting were the abuses I noticed... I don't know, but that might also be the reason they were given short sentences, cos aside that, there wasn't any other case of "abuse"

If the restraining is seen as an abuse, then those with mental issues can sue their caregivers and get them jailed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by 99thEnemy(m): 7:20am On Jan 19
Scentedgrance:
They really tortured this granny.they took their Nigerian wickedness abroad.

You tell them to do this kinda work in Nigeria,watch them to tell you God forbid
Village people no the go strike.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by bemeruca: 7:21am On Jan 19
Klchnjoku:

Anyone who has lived with people with dementia will know taking care of people with dementia are one of the hardest things to do, especially if such individuals are old and stubborn naturally.

Maybe the UK authorities themselves should take it upon themselves to take care of that woman individually for just a week and let's see if they won't do worse to that aged woman than those four Nigerians.

Even if you are patient and have empathy, if you meet individuals who are stubborn.. you will lose every shred of patience and empathy in you and if you are not careful you might physically abuse the patient but from that video there's no form of physical abuse.

If you have lived with a family member especially aged ones who has mental illness, I doff my hat for you cos you are doing a great job.
Aged people with mental illness are even harder to take care of than new born babies

The UK authorities themselves knows this, that's why they gave those people a very short sentence.
Care givers are trying abeg, though some of them are actually wicked but those four have done nothing wrong from that video

Some of you will just open your mouth waaaah.. you are not in those people's shoes so you don't know how hard it is.

If you have lived with aged people who have dementia and on top of that dementia they are stubborn... even you who taking care of them will lose your sanity.

This is where most of you are getting it wrong.. we are humans yes and it's mandatory of us to always be as humane as we can be but what you don't realize is there's a limit to how much everyone can stay humane before they lose their sanity, before they lose any form of empathy, kindness, love etc in them.

You see those care givers I'm ready to die on that hill with them with the video I watched.. as someone who has taken care of a family member with same illness, the only reason that kept me in check was because the said individual was a loved one.

If most of you have taken care of aged family members with mental illness, you all wouldn't be here criticizing those care givers who have done absolutely nothing wrong in that video.

I'm sure someone like Joke Silva, will have a thing or two to tell you of how hard it is to take care of such people.

How will you see. I hope you don't abuse your spouse.

2 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by OdefaGirl(f): 7:24am On Jan 19
But this old woman na wahala oooo aswear 🤣
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by malvisguy212: 7:25am On Jan 19
Artiiclebeast:
What most people do not know about this job is that some of the individuals can be very nasty and difficult to work with particularly the seniors with the onset of dementia and all that stuff.

Most people in the field, even the whites, would never categorize this as an outright abuse though.

Human rights, human rights, is how they've emboldened and made the individuals difficult to manage, and when you allow them to keep their human rights in their filthiness and unkemptness, the authorities will still be the ones to complain about abandonment.

If we had a country or leadership, they would have been left to be cleaning up their own mess however it pleases them.

For the miscreant up there saying "People won't do this kind of job in Nigeria but will do it abroad". Your ignorance is "Harvard-trained". What government or private entities will pay people who do these jobs abroad what they make in 3-4 hours daily?

Nonsense.
what a stupid comments. if you don't like the job , why did you apply in the first place? which job come easy? it is the kind of you that will do a Google search typing " how do I get rich without stress"

2 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by bemeruca: 7:26am On Jan 19
oxygeng:

i very much agree with your views. your talks are not empty, probably from experience. my only problem with them was falling for the resident and family antics. those that are very quick to install cameras in the room can not stand their mother for five seconds both at home and in the nursing facilities, but very quick to say how much they paid for her to be there.
lesson here is: never try to do everything as your mind dictates, if a resident becomes too difficult to care for, call for help from nurse or a senior on duty.

Even if they cannot stand their mother, they are not abusing her and they paid you to Stand their mother not abuse her.

3 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by descarado: 7:27am On Jan 19
People are actually defending these wicked souls.
I give up cry cry

1 Like

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Faithful007: 7:29am On Jan 19
oluwaahmed:

Come on man. I know racism exists but what these guys did there was very wrong.

I've been around a dementia patient and when they act scared or resist you, all you need to do is to calm them down. Stop whatever you want to do and calm them down first.

That job requires patient and compassionate people not just anybody looking for a job. How would you feel if someone handled your granny like that and even hit her with a pillow?

6 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by owagbeba: 7:30am On Jan 19
RavagedHeart:

Don't mind those people quoting you and twisting the point you're trying to make.
I don't see any single abuse in the whole video. Just people struggling to do their job, and the pillow thing was intended as playful.

I saw what you saw, too. It appears the grandma was refusing the care workers to clean her up. So one was holding her arms while the other took out her diapers and cleaned up. It appears the caregivers were struggling to do the job. The pillow thingy appeared more playful to me than an assault.

Needing two caregivers to clean her instead one person might be an obvious sign that grandma is not making it easy for them to clean her up. Can this scenario be compared to a child refusing an injection in a clinic, one nurse holding the child and the other administers the drug?

Anyway, I wish we all could hear from the caregivers and get a complete picture.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Tapout(m): 7:30am On Jan 19
These are the issues. They will soon start rejecting caregivers from Nigeria.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by oxygeng: 7:31am On Jan 19
bemeruca:

Even if they cannot stand their mother, they are not abusing her and they paid you to Stand their mother not abuse her.
your talk is empty. when those that have been there speak, we can relate.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Geovanni412(m): 7:34am On Jan 19
oluwaahmed:

It's possible the woman herself might have aggressive tendencies coupled with the dementia

We manage properties. On one of the properties we manage, there is an elderly woman over 80 years old. Everytime her brother sends money to her, it is delivered by a courier. Within minutes after signing that she has received the money , she fit grab the courier man for cloth strongly demanding for the same money she just collected.

We don't know how aggressive the old lady was.

Where they acted wrongly is that they failed to follow proper guidelines in their workplace.
I believe in such situations, you are supposed to sedate the patient and not act in the manner they did
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by descarado: 7:34am On Jan 19
RavagedHeart:

Don't mind those people quoting you and twisting the point you're trying to make.
I don't see any single abuse in the whole video. Just people struggling to do their job, and the pillow thing was intended as playful.
Every country has its laws.
Before you and your ilk continue spewing trash,
endeavour to read what constitutes as an abuse, abuse to elderly that lacks capacity in uk constitution.

1 Like

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by itzzkhaliii(m): 7:35am On Jan 19
grin cheesy awon japa by all means gang only go end up cleaning old people yansh grin chaiii money must be made by all means.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by abuhusna1: 7:35am On Jan 19
I don't really blame these guys using iron fist to handle the woman. Sometimes they have over 14 people to attend to and demented patients can be stubborn at times. If it was truly abuse they would have sentenced them to minimum of 5 years.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by olaztek(m): 7:37am On Jan 19
Klchnjoku:

This is where most of you are getting it wrong.. we are humans yes and it's mandatory of us to always be as humane as we can be but what you don't realize is there's a limit to how much everyone can stay humane before they lose their sanity, before they lose any form of empathy, kindness, love etc in them.

You see those care givers I'm ready to die on that hill with them with the video I watched.. as someone who has taken care of a family member with same illness, the only reason that kept me in check was because the said individual was a loved one.

If most of you have taken care of aged family members with mental illness, you all wouldn't be here criticizing those care givers who have done absolutely nothing wrong in that video.

I'm sure someone like Joke Silva, will have a thing or two to tell you of how hard it is to take care of such people.
These people cannot be defended because they're being paid to do the care job.

They're not caring for the old woman for free, so they have to be 100% professional in handling any kind of old people.

1 Like

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by descarado: 7:37am On Jan 19
Geovanni412:

It's possible the woman herself might have aggressive tendencies coupled with the dementia

We manage properties. On one of the properties we manage, there is an elderly woman over 80 years old. Everytime her brother sends money to her, it is delivered by a courier. Within minutes after signing that she has received the money , she fit grab the courier man for cloth strongly demanding for the same money she just collected.

We don't know how aggressive the old lady was.

Where they acted wrongly is that they failed to follow proper guidelines in their workplace.
I believe in such situations, you are supposed to sedate the patient and not act in the manner they did

Shut up.

What do you know about uk constitution and abuse especially abuse to people you are paid to take care of cos they are vulnerable?

2 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by OyinO: 7:39am On Jan 19
Scentedgrance:
Should village people take the blames for their acts?

What kind of question is that? Did he mention village people? Are the villagers responsible for your own wickedness?
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by bemeruca: 7:40am On Jan 19
oxygeng:

your talk is empty. when those who have been there speak, we can relate.

The only empty I see here is your skull. When those who are humane speak, we can relate.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by ChybuzzDD(m): 7:40am On Jan 19
SmartPolician:
I know that an average Nigerian is evil, but those names don't look Nigerian. Please what part of the country do those names come from? North Central? Please don't reply me if you are not sure.

Those names don't look yoruba to you?

Or you're looking for Igbo names??
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Edusouls(m): 7:42am On Jan 19
oluwaahmed:

dont mind the black fools, they think it’s easy handling a demented individual

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Connected1: 7:42am On Jan 19
No Human Sympathy at all.

1 Like

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Geovanni412(m): 7:43am On Jan 19
descarado:

Shut up.

What do you know about uk constitution and abuse especially abuse to people you are paid to take care of cos they are vulnerable?

What I know is that sedation depends on the specific individual and the consent given by the loved ones of the person in the care facility

It also depends on the danger posed by the patient and doctor's prescription to diffuse the situation

So, what do you know?

Enlighten us as the expert rather than throwing light jabs.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Lifestone(m): 7:44am On Jan 19
Scentedgrance:
They really tortured this granny.they took their Nigerian wickedness abroad.

You tell them to do this kinda work in Nigeria,watch them to tell you God forbid
What has this got to do with Nigerians. We are generally a good people in Nigeria
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by SmartPolician: 7:47am On Jan 19
ChybuzzDD:

Those names don't look yoruba to you?

Or you're looking for Igbo names??

Mvgv, you don't even know Yoruba names.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by advanceDNA: 7:47am On Jan 19
OdefaGirl:
But this old woman na wahala oooo aswear 🤣

For her age...89years.... She gets strength ooo

4 pple dey struggle hold am..... cheesy grin

They should have just left her when she refused attention... instead of this forceful approach

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Electrician Electrocuted While Trying To Change Transformer Cable In Abia (Pix) / Young Man Commits Suicide In Delta (Photo) / Is Glaucoma Hereditary? Can It Be Cured?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.