Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,682 members, 7,813,270 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:57 AM

Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail (30230 Views)

Four UK Health Workers Jailed For Abusing Elderly Patient / 313 New COVID-19 Cases, 89 Discharged And 5 deaths On May 24 - (1225 Tested) / 8 New Cases Of Coronavirus In Nigeria. 7 In Lagos, 1 Benue. 89 Confirmed Cases (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Astar007: 2:27pm On Jan 19
Discountsempai:

Yes, but there are also a lot of cases where white people, and non-Nigerians have been abusive to people in their care. And there are many Nigerians who do this job, do it well, and get paid well. Ditto for other non-Nigerians.

You cant compare yourself with white people, that is their land, they have more upper hand than you, same way someone from cotonou cannot compare himself to you in nigeria just because nigeria is ur country even though he might be black....when you go to a foreign land you must behave yourself and focus on your purpose of going there, animalistic trait should be completely stripped of or else its either you go to jail or get killed on the street......

1 Like

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Discountsempai: 2:29pm On Jan 19
Astar007:

You cant compare yourself with white people, that is their land, they have more upper hand than you, same way someone from cotonou cannot compare himself to you in nigeria just because nigeria is ur country even though he might be black....when you go to a foreign land you must behave yourself and focus on your purpose of going there, animalistic trait should be completely stripped of or else its either you go to jail or get killed on the street......

Yes, that is true, but at the end, caregiver abuse is not a black Nigerian thing.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Discountsempai: 2:31pm On Jan 19
Georgeduke84:
Name checkers just left the group due to the Nigerian victims are not Igbos

No such thing as name checking here. Seun has banned it. Take note.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Artiiclebeast: 2:32pm On Jan 19
Discountsempai:

Mr man, there is no need to excuse wrong doing. The caregivers messed up. End of story. If they could not do the job, let them walk away. Simple.

The thing is, at the end, if you want to work as a caregiver in the UK, either you have gone to nursing school, where Matron would have taught you the tricks of the trade, or you go and get a job at TESCO, or learn a skill, or forget about it.

I hear you.

Go and re-read my initial post.

Before these unlucky guys, this has been the case, is currently the case, and will continue to be the case.

Until you understand humans and what mental disorders are, only then will you drop the emotions and face the facts and reality as it truly is in the industry which is a known fact.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Astar007: 2:36pm On Jan 19
Discountsempai:

Yes, that is true, but at the end, caregiver abuse is not a black Nigerian thing.

It's not a black thing but you must know that their actions may affect you personally or someone you know someway somehow cause you are a nigerian like them...it may affect your visa application to UK for example and if you manage to get there it may affect your job search there, it may also make you to experience more racism which may affect your mental health or self esteem..

Do not justify evil....whites cannot come to nigeria and misbehave and you know this...the result will be brutal...
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by femi4: 2:40pm On Jan 19
Artiiclebeast:
What most people do not know about this job is that some of the individuals can be very nasty with words, do horrible things to the care givers, and difficult to work with particularly the seniors with the onset of dementia and all that stuff.

Most people in the field, even the whites, would never categorize this as an outright abuse though.

Human rights, human rights, is how they've emboldened and made the individuals difficult to manage, and when you allow them to keep their human rights in their filthiness and unkemptness, the authorities will still be the ones to complain about abandonment.

If we had a country or leadership, they would have been left to be cleaning up their own mess however it pleases them.

For the op up there saying "People won't do this kind of job in Nigeria but will do it abroad". Your ignorance is "Harvard-trained". What government or private entities will pay people who do these jobs abroad what they make in 3-4 hours daily?

Nonsense.

Modified

I just chose to ignore all the mentions and people saying what they know nothing about.

I know we are always quick to apply emotions over common sense in most cases even when we don't understand the true circumstances not forgetting the bandwagon effect we are blessed with.

You see how one person quoted me without truly understanding my comment to hurl insults and subsequent commenters keyed into the same emotions.

They couldn't reason that if this was truly an abuse, the jail time given them wasn't what they would have been given and what they truly deserved, in my opinion.

However, since this was caught on camera by the family who decided to make a case of it, and then the client passed on maybe a few months later, of course, the judge will pass some form of judgment in a way to acknowledge and compensate their case and bereavement, respectively.

The people quoting me do not understand that what they saw in this short clip could be an hourly or bi-hourly occurrence as a result of her mental state.

Yes, there are laid down protocols and making reports to the effect that the client is refusing help. Now, tell me, if this is even a daily occurrence, shouldn't common sense tell anyone who truly separates emotion from reality that even the management of the facility, all staff, and indeed the regulatory body would have been tired of the many reports and just decide staff can and should do whatever they need to do to get their daily task accomplished without truly "abusing" the client?

Anyone who has ever worked in the industry or is still in it will understand what I'm saying.

There are hardly any care homes/facilities without at least one of these kinds of clients and everyone always understands that this is the only way they can render help to them.

These are individuals who are mostly cunning and would want to take advantage of a new staff by playing the new staff to do everything for them. In such cases, it is even the white bosses who intervene to caution the staff not to fall for their games because the individuals need to be allowed to help themselves to an extent to maintain or gain some extent of independence in their daily lives.

People need to learn, ask questions, and overall, be critical in their thinking.

And yes, I started in this field because it was readily available, a whole different experience for me, and I found it truly rewarding each time I was able to make them happy for the most part.

Yet, I have dealt with even worse cases than this, and I know how it goes. But today, based on recommendations from the places I learned the job from and my experience, I now work for the State Government. I even had 3 different agencies within the same body sending me offers but unfortunately, I can only accept one of them.

If you are willing to understand and learn how this stuff goes, drip emotions, and read my comment with an open mind.

Peace.

When they don't make sense....they come back to support their comments with epistle

1 Like

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Fujiyama: 2:54pm On Jan 19
KaptainAfrika:
"We take good care of our elders unlike in the West." well done caregivers. cheesy cheesy cheesy

^^^
grin grin

You are a desperately wicked man.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by iyababs: 2:55pm On Jan 19
Thank you for this beautiful explanation, nothing more to add. The woman was treated badly, whatever we do, just know that the truth will come to light one day.Treat people well
franchasofficia:
There are more humane ways to handle the woman.

From age 80, most humans become kids and start to act like kids, and at that stage they need compassion and not cruelty.

If you are empathetic in life, no matter what, you will never maltreat anybody even when they push you to the extreme.

Empathy makes us humans.

Can you handle your own mother that way, ask yourself that.

The woman is in agony due to health challenges arising from old age, she need compassionate care and empathy to care for her. Don't support evil in the name of race.

If a caregiver treats your own aged mother that way how would you feel? Will you be happy to watch it?

If you wish to grow old, have it at the back of your mind that you might be in similar mental state like that aged woman they were rough handling. Yes some aged people are more difficult than others to care for, but if you have empathy, you will always try to treat them passionately.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Edusouls(m): 3:13pm On Jan 19
Discountsempai:

So, the children do not have jobs , families, or a life to live?

I do not pray for you to have a relative with dementia, but if it should happen to you, you will see why those children were looking for help with their parent.
brother don’t be too sentimental, the treatment of the woman is a bit harsh which is at times the only way to get things done in this situation, the woman is almost impossible to corporate cos people with dementia are almost brain dead, but putting them in jail is a case taken too far , they secretly installed a camera cos they know staying with their mother is extremely challenging, so the woman is now a trap to her care givers, you blacks should know that whites hates and distastes us, so any little slip they compound the punishment, if it were white caregivers they would just be sacked..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by greypencils: 3:14pm On Jan 19
Discountsempai:

There is a reason why dem jail am....there are many cases of elder abuse by caregivers that started like that. Infact, there have been similar cases in the UK and US, involving white people all around, caregivers included, where the abuse started small,and ended in serious injury. I can even tell you more self.

There is a reason why they are in jail. Them UK justice system does not want the thing to end in premium tears, no matter how 'light' it may seem to you now.

And taking care of a dementia patient e no easy. Here in Nigeria, a family friend brought his dementia suffering father to look after the man. Na so Papa go dissapear from house, dem go search for am, infact one time they found him in the nearest town...an hour away. One time, I think they had to call Police to help self. Let's not even talk about the fact that they cannot take care of themselves self.

You think say pikin with work, children, responsibility , go have time take care of dementia parent? Shey you know almost everyone in the UK has a job, right?. It is because you have never experienced it, that is why you are saying the children should take care of their mother. Infact in that UK, there is a scarcity of care workers for dementia patients, that is why they are employing immigrants like Nigerians. E no easy, even with high salary.

Don't justify evil. I pray to God you never see dementia in your family. Infact, no demon of dementia shall come near your family. IJN.
I believe you've read my write up. No one is justifying evil. I am simply telling you the impossibility of some particular patients that would frustrate you. You can't report them, you must clean them up, the option is to use a bit of force. The force they applied here is not excessive and it doesn't warrant jail time. I made an exception for the man with the pillow. That is wrong whether he was playing with her or not. You that you are replying me, You don't come across as someone that would have the amount of patience required to take care of an elderly person with dementia. It is easy for you to judge. Anyone who doesn't have the patience for old people shouldn't bother getting the job but even the patience of the most patient person can wear thin. Read my initial post again and digest it. I still repeat what I said, the amount of force they applied is not excessive and is not worthy of jail time.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Johnjustice: 3:20pm On Jan 19
Discountsempai:

Because it is not like you are packing it for free, you still get the hard currency at the end of the month. grin
Pack the shit respectfully grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by greypencils: 3:20pm On Jan 19
Edusouls:
brother don’t be too sentimental, the treatment of the woman is a bit harsh which is at times the only way to get things done in this situation, the woman is almost impossible to corporate cos people with dementia are almost brain dead, but putting them in jail is a case taken too far , they secretly installed a camera cos they know staying with their mother is extremely challenging, so the woman is now a trap to her care givers, you blacks should know that whites hates and distastes us, so any little slip they compound the punishment, if it were white caregivers they would just be sacked..
Thank you. If it was a white that did that, that person will not be sent to jail. I am making an exception for the man with the pillow though. He might have been playing with her, but that was excessive.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by 7upnigeria: 3:21pm On Jan 19
matify83:
After All the resources committed to Japa , only to end up behind bars for your nonsense character you refused to drop back in naija.

You can take a pig out of the mud but it's impossible taking the mud out of the pig.

Hiss!

But why will Nigeria be the mud? Cant we just fix our country and make people behave properly even right here in Nigeria.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Discountsempai: 3:56pm On Jan 19
Artiiclebeast:

Until you understand humans and what mental disorders are, only then will you drop the emotions and face the facts and reality as it truly is in the industry which is a known fact.

Actually I do, which is all the more reason why I don't like anyone justifying the bad behaviour of the caregivers

(I work in medicine, and have seen my share of dementia patients. ).
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Edusouls(m): 4:05pm On Jan 19
greypencils:
Thank you. If it was a white that did that, that person will not be sent to jail. I am making an exception for the man with the pillow though. He might have been playing with her, but that was excessive.
its not excessive do pillow hurt people, he was just playing with her, I don’t know how humans easily jugde and Condem others, so pillow is now a weapon? Chai Blackman don suffer for this world
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by lendahand(m): 4:21pm On Jan 19
Scentedgrance:
They really tortured this granny.they took their Nigerian wickedness abroad.

You tell them to do this kinda work in Nigeria,watch them to tell you God forbid
someone will be wiping a white ass and be wearing winter coats to oppress his/her kinsmen back in Nigeria 🥲
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by lendahand(m): 4:23pm On Jan 19
Edusouls:
its not excessive do pillow hurt people, he was just playing with her, I don’t know how humans easily jugde and Condem others, so pillow is now a weapon? Chai Blackman don suffer for this world
Emphasis is on treatment with lack of respect and dignity. It's a count charge.

1 Like

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by greypencils: 4:26pm On Jan 19
Edusouls:
The play was excessive.

1 Like

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by OChimex: 6:58pm On Jan 19
Artiiclebeast:
What most people do not know about this job is that some of the individuals can be very nasty with words, do horrible things to the care givers, and difficult to work with particularly the seniors with the onset of dementia and all that stuff.

Most people in the field, even the whites, would never categorize this as an outright abuse though.

Human rights, human rights, is how they've emboldened and made the individuals difficult to manage, and when you allow them to keep their human rights in their filthiness and unkemptness, the authorities will still be the ones to complain about abandonment.

If we had a country or leadership, they would have been left to be cleaning up their own mess however it pleases them.

For the op up there saying "People won't do this kind of job in Nigeria but will do it abroad". Your ignorance is "Harvard-trained". What government or private entities will pay people who do these jobs abroad what they make in 3-4 hours daily?

Nonsense.

Modified

I just chose to ignore all the mentions and people saying what they know nothing about.

I know we are always quick to apply emotions over common sense in most cases even when we don't understand the true circumstances not forgetting the bandwagon effect we are blessed with.

You see how one person quoted me without truly understanding my comment to hurl insults and subsequent commenters keyed into the same emotions.

They couldn't reason that if this was truly an abuse, the jail time given them wasn't what they would have been given and what they truly deserved, in my opinion.

However, since this was caught on camera by the family who decided to make a case of it, and then the client passed on maybe a few months later, of course, the judge will pass some form of judgment in a way to acknowledge and compensate their case and bereavement, respectively.

The people quoting me do not understand that what they saw in this short clip could be an hourly or bi-hourly occurrence as a result of her mental state.

Yes, there are laid down protocols and making reports to the effect that the client is refusing help. Now, tell me, if this is even a daily occurrence, shouldn't common sense tell anyone who truly separates emotion from reality that even the management of the facility, all staff, and indeed the regulatory body would have been tired of the many reports and just decide staff can and should do whatever they need to do to get their daily task accomplished without truly "abusing" the client?

Anyone who has ever worked in the industry or is still in it will understand what I'm saying.

There are hardly any care homes/facilities without at least one of these kinds of clients and everyone always understands that this is the only way they can render help to them.

These are individuals who are mostly cunning and would want to take advantage of a new staff by playing the new staff to do everything for them. In such cases, it is even the white bosses who intervene to caution the staff not to fall for their games because the individuals need to be allowed to help themselves to an extent to maintain or gain some extent of independence in their daily lives.

People need to learn, ask questions, and overall, be critical in their thinking.

And yes, I started in this field because it was readily available, a whole different experience for me, and I found it truly rewarding each time I was able to make them happy for the most part.

Yet, I have dealt with even worse cases than this, and I know how it goes. But today, based on recommendations from the places I learned the job from and my experience, I now work for the State Government. I even had 3 different agencies within the same body sending me offers but unfortunately, I can only accept one of them.

If you are willing to understand and learn how this stuff goes, drop emotions, and read my comment with an open mind.

Peace.

Just shut up.
Will you handle your mom or your dad who is sick that way?
Don't you hear the old lady crying?
Didn't you read her kids put the hidden camera when they noticed bruises and injuries on their mom?
Na so una take wickedness ruin una country and ran to oyinbo land wey still get human sympathy, then want teach them how to be mean and wicked.
Why cant una go learn thousands of skills wey full abroad, like plumbing, electric, etc, you chose care knowing you are dealing mentally people, knowing it requires sympathy not meaness.

1 Like

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by armyofone(m): 7:48pm On Jan 19
The didn't do well at all.

No dignity was given to the old patient.

They should have left and come back instead of all the forces they used.

Hope someone tell their Nigerian family awaiting pound sterling they are in prison in UK and no money is coming.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by maiunguwar: 8:43pm On Jan 19
CameroonPepper:

Very respectful of their elders.
The most respectful tribe in Africa

1 Like

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Fujiyama: 9:21pm On Jan 19
Edusouls:
its not excessive do pillow hurt people, he was just playing with her, I don’t know how humans easily jugde and Condem others, so pillow is now a weapon?

^^^
Yes, pillows can be used to hurt people.

Yes, pillows can be used as weapons.

Every year, people do use pillows to smother or asphyxiate other people.

Just saying.

1 Like

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Reborn001: 1:58am On Jan 20
Artiiclebeast:

Nonsense.

Modified

If you are willing to understand and learn how this stuff goes, drop emotions, and read my comment with an open mind.

Peace.

Your points are well expressed and understood. You really do, have the patience for divergence view. That y u are successful in the field
All the best.

1 Like

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Reborn001: 2:03am On Jan 20
emperor4love:
does wat u type make sense or u want to be relevant, if them treat ur gran mama like this I hope you will shoot such person in head...y justify wat is not moral standard with rascim, don't you have human compassion,even if our skins different, that an elderly with dementia and u expect them to act way that will please ur job,were de not paid for there service or were dey forced to take up de job
That job can make, u lose it as some point.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Edusouls(m): 6:09am On Jan 20
Fujiyama:

^^^
Yes, pillows can be used to hurt people.

Yes, pillows can be used as weapons.

Every year, people do use pillows to smother or asphyxiate other people.

Just saying.
i knew when we were kids pillows was our best tool of playing, now because it involves blacks it’s now a weapon, your going too far about asphyxiation it’s not the content of discussion cos no one was trying to do that, from what am seeing you are a woman cos u reason like one
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Fujiyama: 4:30pm On Jan 20
Edusouls:
i knew when we were kids pillows was our best tool of playing, now because it involves blacks it’s now a weapon, your going too far about asphyxiation it’s not the content of discussion cos no one was trying to do that, from what am seeing you are a woman cos u reason like one

^^^
cheesy

You're obviously trolling. And doing it very angrily too.

There's an art to this thing. Ask the masters to teach you how its done.

1 Like

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by grandstar(m): 3:22pm On Feb 08
Artiiclebeast:
What most people do not know about this job is that some of the individuals can be very nasty and difficult to work with particularly the seniors with the onset of dementia and all that stuff.

For the miscreant up there saying "People won't do this kind of job in Nigeria but will do it abroad". Your ignorance is "Harvard-trained". What government or private entities will pay people who do these jobs abroad what they make in 3-4 hours daily?

Nonsense.

Dementia patients can be very rude. This probably due to the loss of the self contro and discipline they had to put on that we all have when interacting with others before illness too over
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Father4all: 8:31pm On Feb 08
They weren't trained for it. Infact, they are not social workers

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

White Express Egg Yolk Lotion With Spf 15 And Kojic Acid / Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries / Emmanuel Oyediran, Beggar Undergoes Surgery For Colostomy Prolapse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.