Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,810 members, 7,813,667 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:57 PM

Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail (30236 Views)

Four UK Health Workers Jailed For Abusing Elderly Patient / 313 New COVID-19 Cases, 89 Discharged And 5 deaths On May 24 - (1225 Tested) / 8 New Cases Of Coronavirus In Nigeria. 7 In Lagos, 1 Benue. 89 Confirmed Cases (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Edusouls(m): 11:17am On Jan 19
iLoveYouToo:
If you didn’t feel any pity watching that video you’re a psychopath

Did anyone force them to do the job, they were wrong, let them pay the price for their misdemeanors .

You lack human empathy, I don’t blame you much it’s this system I blame
her own children are the ones that lack human empathy they should be the ones taking care of their mentally sick mum and not paying others to bear the suffering of such a Herculean task, the most difficult job on this earth is taking care of a sick person talkless of a mentally sick one with dementia, read up dementia in google , you here talking can even take care of that woman for 2 hours hypocrites everywhere
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by ewelike1rosseuf: 11:19am On Jan 19
Couldn't finish watching the videoCouldn't finish watching the video...
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by DavidEsq(m): 11:20am On Jan 19
Klchnjoku:
Where is the maltreatment?

I didn't see them beating her on any other form of physical abuse.

Anyone who has lived with people with dementia will know taking care of people with dementia are one of the hardest things to do, especially if such individuals are old and stubborn naturally.

Maybe the UK authorities themselves should take it upon themselves to take care of that woman individually for just a week and let's see if they won't do worse to that aged woman than those four Nigerians.

Even if you are patient and have empathy, if you meet individuals who are stubborn.. you will lose every shred of patience and empathy in you and if you are not careful you might physically abuse the patient but from that video there's no form of physical abuse.

Exactly.. most people haven't lived with such people...
If you have lived with a family member especially aged ones who has mental illness, I doff my hat for you cos you are doing a great job.
Aged people with mental illness are even harder to take care of than new born babies

The UK authorities themselves knows this, that's why they gave those people a very short sentence.
Care givers are trying abeg, though some of them are actually wicked but those four have done nothing wrong from that video

Some of you will just open your mouth waaaah.. you are not in those people's shoes so you don't know how hard it is.

If you have lived with aged people who have dementia and on top of that dementia they are stubborn... even you who taking care of them will lose your sanity.

This is where most of you are getting it wrong.. we are humans yes and it's mandatory of us to always be as humane as we can be but what you don't realize is there's a limit to how much everyone can stay humane before they lose their sanity, before they lose any form of empathy, kindness, love etc in them.

You see those care givers I'm ready to die on that hill with them with the video I watched.. as someone who has taken care of a family member with same illness, the only reason that kept me in check was because the said individual was a loved one.

If most of you have taken care of aged family members with mental illness, you all wouldn't be here criticizing those care givers who have done absolutely nothing wrong in that video.

I'm sure someone like Joke Silva, will have a thing or two to tell you of how hard it is to take care of such people.
I really wish u could tell us the most challenging experiences u had in this respect. I really want to know because I feel it's may be an inevitable stage of life I may experience or others may experience at my hand. I wonder if there is a way one can avoid such ailment through a prescribed way of life/health. Satan's deception that caused the fall of Man has really brought man much tragedy 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Litmus: 11:32am On Jan 19
One seem to be a Nigerian. Another, may be a Nigerian, the other two aren't Nigerians. For instance, Tunkara is of Gambia , Sierra Leone, Ghana origin.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by tollyboy5(m): 11:37am On Jan 19
oluwaahmed:

Did you even watch the video? Always quick so support a Whiteman destroying your fellow black. Slave. Can't you see the woman was difficult that people had to come assist. Sending them to jail is just racism
Don't play race card, if you do that to my mum I'll break your head

3 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by emperor4love(m): 11:39am On Jan 19
Artiiclebeast:
What most people do not know about this job is that some of the individuals can be very nasty and difficult to work with particularly the seniors with the onset of dementia and all that stuff.

Most people in the field, even the whites, would never categorize this as an outright abuse though.

Human rights, human rights, is how they've emboldened and made the individuals difficult to manage, and when you allow them to keep their human rights in their filthiness and unkemptness, the authorities will still be the ones to complain about abandonment.

If we had a country or leadership, they would have been left to be cleaning up their own mess however it pleases them.

For the miscreant up there saying "People won't do this kind of job in Nigeria but will do it abroad". Your ignorance is "Harvard-trained". What government or private entities will pay people who do these jobs abroad what they make in 3-4 hours daily?

Nonsense.
does wat u type make sense or u want to be relevant, if them treat ur gran mama like this I hope you will shoot such person in head...y justify wat is not moral standard with rascim, don't you have human compassion,even if our skins different, that an elderly with dementia and u expect them to act way that will please ur job,were de not paid for there service or were dey forced to take up de job

4 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by emperor4love(m): 11:42am On Jan 19
Edusouls:
her own children are the ones that lack human empathy they should be the ones taking care of their mentally sick mum and not paying others to bear the suffering of such a Herculean task, the most difficult job on this earth is taking care of a sick person talkless of a mentally sick one with dementia, read up dementia in google , you here talking can even take care of that woman for 2 hours hypocrites everywhere
as if u don't know that de government take up de elderly nd take care of them with state fund,is it the first time of hearing it plus do u tink dere are no elderly caregivers in Nigeria....made way una assign to look after ur granny for village no be caregivers be that nd does that stop u ppl visiting ur loved granny occasionally or once a while

2 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Sleekfingers: 12:05pm On Jan 19
oluwaahmed:

Did you even watch the video? Always quick so support a Whiteman destroying your fellow black. Slave. Can't you see the woman was difficult that people had to come assist. Sending them to jail is just racism

Always playing the racism cards......they belong in jail, after serving their various sentences, and deportation....

What are the primary duties of a caregiver to start with?

Ahe is an elderly for heaven's sake...89 years old...who needs serious attention and care. I know that old people can be difficult manage.

but it is part of their job to be patient , talk carefully, encourage the elderly etc

2 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by 12inchess: 12:12pm On Jan 19
Well all I can say is that they know the job they signed up for to get pounds. Na Naija cause am. It Nigeria was good, we won't be having Nigerian bank managers resigning their job here in Naija to do care giver work abroad.

A lot goes on in care giving and mental institutions especially when the patients cannot advocate for themselves. I don't subscribe to jail for them but that they all should be fired from the job. If you cannot do the job then don't accept it.

2 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Sleekfingers: 12:16pm On Jan 19
Tapout:
These are the issues. They will soon start rejecting caregivers from Nigeria.

They won't......
Not all Nigerian caregivers behaves like that.....
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by greypencils: 12:29pm On Jan 19
Na the problem of Japa be this. Oyinbo wey get granny no get time for her wahala hence her being dumped in a home. You that got a job as a care worker is supposed to feed her, change her diapers and give her her bath. Even if you have an uncooperative patient, you cant report too frequently because if you do, you would be regarded as someone not capable of his/her job. Neither can you ignore her when she wets her diapers because that would be you neglecting your job. Your option would be to apply a bit of force. It is that bit of force that landed these ones into trouble. I see no crime committed here except for the man jeering at her and hitting her 'playfully' with a pillow. Is that worth a jail sentence? The bruises that the relative claim was done to the woman was most likely self-inflicted. Now these ones are going to jail and on their return, they will never get jobs again. If they mention japa, na to japa with sense. Get better plan to get better job not all these thankless jobs. If taking care of their granny was that easy, why didn't they do that themselves instead of taking her to a home?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by greypencils: 12:34pm On Jan 19
matify83:
After All the resources committed to Japa , only to end up behind bars for your nonsense character you refused to drop back in naija.

You can take a pig out of the mud but it's impossible taking the mud out of the pig.

Hiss!
Did you watch the video at all?
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Pennilessword1: 12:43pm On Jan 19
Nigerians are naturally bad people..soon the world will ban Nigerians from entering their countries. Nigerians, Natural pariahs .

I ashamed.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by maasoap(m): 12:45pm On Jan 19
Dancebreaker:

This is not entirely true. Some have degrees, including UK health and social care degrees. Some like the flexibility that some other 9-5 jobs may not give them, others may be postgrad students doing it. Even UK citizens born and bred who were nurses, civil servants and others come into the sector later for various reasons.

No various reasons, it is the high pay. Though, anyone can claim that he or she likes helping helpless people grin grin grin

I do not envy those supporting dementia patients in whatever setting . It's a very challenging geriatric condition as it progresses.
Even those otherwise happy doing the job can lose it at times BUT no excuse for their action.

Case closed. Anyone who can't stand the heat should get out of the kitchen.

2 Likes

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Pennilessword1: 12:45pm On Jan 19
greypencils:
Na the problem of Japa be this. Oyinbo wey get granny no get time for her wahala hence her being dumped in a home. You that got a job as a care worker is supposed to feed her, change her diapers and give her her bath. Even if you have an uncooperative patient, you cant report too frequently because if you do, you would be regarded as someone not capable of his/her job. Neither can you ignore her when she wets her diapers because that would be you neglecting your job. Your option would be to apply a bit of force. It is that bit of force that landed these ones into trouble. I see no crime committed here except for the man jeering at her and hitting her 'playfully' with a pillow. Is that worth a jail sentence? The bruises that the relative claim was done to the woman was most likely self-inflicted. Now these ones are going to jail and on their return, they will never get jobs again. If they mention japa, na to japa with sense. Get better plan to get better job not all these thankless jobs. If taking care of their granny was that easy, why didn't they do that themselves instead of taking her to a home?

I took care of my mom. Discovered quite late that she also suffered from dimentia. You have spoken a lot of sense. Too much sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by maasoap(m): 12:46pm On Jan 19
Dancebreaker:

This is not entirely true. Some have degrees, including UK health and social care degrees. Some like the flexibility that some other 9-5 jobs may not give them, others may be postgrad students doing it. Even UK citizens born and bred who were nurses, civil servants and others come into the sector later for various reasons.

No various reasons, it is the high pay. Though, anyone can claim that he or she likes helping helpless people grin grin grin

I do not envy those supporting dementia patients in whatever setting . It's a very challenging geriatric condition as it progresses.

Their families that are paying you to take care of them are not stupid or fo0lish now.

Even those otherwise happy doing the job can lose it at times BUT no excuse for their action.

Case closed. Anyone who can't stand the heat should get out of the kitchen.

1 Like

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by LordIsaac(m): 12:47pm On Jan 19
Scentedgrance:
They really tortured this granny.they took their Nigerian wickedness abroad.

You tell them to do this kinda work in Nigeria,watch them to tell you God forbid
I support more than 20 years in jail for them. It would be sufficient time to reflect on the fact that money is not everything and by that, learn genuine empathy and love for humanity!

1 Like

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Fujiyama: 1:45pm On Jan 19
honour7:
I am going to saner clime, are you sane enough to be in a saner clime

^^^

grin grin grin

This country na wa.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Discountsempai: 1:57pm On Jan 19
koning:
Is this what they call "Abuse". How were they supposed to clean and dress a non cooperative old woman?.

I did not see any abuse. They should have gotten their white supervisor to show them how to wipe this particular lady without removing her clothes or lifting her legs.

They were packing feaces and urine there for christ's sake. The very light pillow smack on the head was totally playful.

I really cannot see what they did wrong in this video.

It's because you have never looked after or experienced looking after a dementia patient...or even had a relative or loved one that has dementia.....or at the very least, work in medicine, that's why you can't see the abuse.

May it never happen to you and your loved ones. I mean it.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Discountsempai: 2:00pm On Jan 19
Edusouls:

So, the children do not have jobs , families, or a life to live?

I do not pray for you to have a relative with dementia, but if it should happen to you, you will see why those children were looking for help with their parent.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by otegbayo(m): 2:02pm On Jan 19
Why!!!!!!!!! yet we wonder why some of them don't like us. The trauma the family would have to live with. We can always do better as Nigerians
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Discountsempai: 2:08pm On Jan 19
oluwaahmed:

If you know the number of white people that have gone to jail for elder abuse, and including in some cases, murder, it far outnumbers black Nigerians.

Someone..a white UK citizen..white man... has been thrown in jail in that same UK in the last few weeks for helping an American dump his dementia father in the UK. The American disappeared before UK authorities could catch him.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Artiiclebeast: 2:11pm On Jan 19
greypencils:

I just chose to ignore all the mentions and people saying what they know nothing about.

I know we are always quick to apply emotions over common sense in most cases even when we don't understand the true circumstances not forgetting the bandwagon effect we are blessed with.

You see how one person quoted me without truly understanding my comment to hurl insults and subsequent commenters keyed into the same emotions.

They couldn't reason that if this was truly an abuse, the jail time given them wasn't what they would have been given and what they truly deserved, in my opinion.

However, since this was caught on camera by the family who decided to make a case of it, and then the client passed on maybe a few months later, of course, the judge will pass some form of judgment in a way to acknowledge and compensate their case and bereavement, respectively.

The people quoting me do not understand that what they saw in this short clip could be an hourly or bi-hourly occurrence as a result of her mental state.

Yes, there are laid down protocols and making reports to the effect that client is refusing help. Now, tell me, if this is even a daily occurrence, shouldn't common sense tell anyone who truly separates emotion from reality that even the management of the facility, all staff, and indeed the regulatory body would have been tired of the many reports and just decide staff can and should do whatever they need to do to get their daily task accomplished without truly "abusing" the client?

Anyone who has ever worked in the industry or is still in it will understand what I'm saying.

There are hardly any care homes/facilities without at least one of these kinds of clients and everyone always understands that this is the only way they can render help to them.

People need to learn, ask questions, and overall, be critical in their thinking.

Thank you for your experienced post.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Astar007: 2:14pm On Jan 19
ShoeGetSize:

https://punchng.com/video-how-jailed-nigerian-caregivers-maltreated-abused-89-year-old-grandma-in-uk/?amp

This is one of the reason racism will never end, alot of nigerians actually behave like animals, aggressive wild animals....it saddens me cos I can't just understand why they act the way they act....if you are tired of the job the quit peacefully rather than treating an old woman like that......from my observation during this little time I have spent in europe I have seen that the behaviours of our people in nigeria and the people here are not the same....alot of our people think and act like animals..only negativity, its really sad
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Discountsempai: 2:15pm On Jan 19
greypencils:

There is a reason why dem jail am....there are many cases of elder abuse by caregivers that started like that. Infact, there have been similar cases in the UK and US, involving white people all around, caregivers included, where the abuse started small,and ended in serious injury. I can even tell you more self.

There is a reason why they are in jail. Them UK justice system does not want the thing to end in premium tears, no matter how 'light' it may seem to you now.

And taking care of a dementia patient e no easy. Here in Nigeria, a family friend brought his dementia suffering father to look after the man. Na so Papa go dissapear from house, dem go search for am, infact one time they found him in the nearest town...an hour away. One time, I think they had to call Police to help self. Let's not even talk about the fact that they cannot take care of themselves self.

You think say pikin with work, children, responsibility , go have time take care of dementia parent? Shey you know almost everyone in the UK has a job, right?. It is because you have never experienced it, that is why you are saying the children should take care of their mother. Infact in that UK, there is a scarcity of care workers for dementia patients, that is why they are employing immigrants like Nigerians. E no easy, even with high salary.

Don't justify evil. I pray to God you never see dementia in your family. Infact, no demon of dementia shall come near your family. IJN.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Discountsempai: 2:16pm On Jan 19
Astar007:

This is one of the reason racism will never end, alot of nigerians actually behave like animals, aggressive wild animals....it saddens me cos I can't just understand why they act the way they act....if you are tired of the job the quit peacefully rather than treating an old woman like that......from my observation during this little time I have spent in europe I have seen that the behaviours of our people in nigeria and the people here are not the same....alot of our people think and act like animals..only negativity, its really sad

This is not a Nigerian thing, there are cases involving white people, and other immigrants caregivers.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Discountsempai: 2:19pm On Jan 19
Artiiclebeast:

I just chose to ignore all the mentions and people saying what they know nothing about.

Mr man, there is no need to excuse wrong doing. The caregivers messed up. End of story. If they could not do the job, let them walk away. Simple.

The thing is, at the end, if you want to work as a caregiver in the UK, either you have gone to nursing school, where Matron would have taught you the tricks of the trade, or you go and get a job at TESCO, or learn a skill, or forget about it.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Astar007: 2:20pm On Jan 19
Discountsempai:

This is not a Nigerian thing, there are cases involving white people, and other immigrants caregivers.

The behaviour displayed by those agabayas were typical nigerian behaviour, wicked behaviour, lack of patience and empathy, lack of pity and discernment
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Discountsempai: 2:21pm On Jan 19
Johnjustice:

Shit packer, nobody send you to accept the job, if you want to pack shit, pack it well grin

Because it is not like you are packing it for free, you still get the hard currency at the end of the month. grin

1 Like

Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by oluwaahmed: 2:22pm On Jan 19
Discountsempai:

If you know the number of white people that have gone to jail for elder abuse, and including in some cases, murder, it far outnumbers black Nigerians.

Someone..a white UK citizen..white man... has been thrown in jail in that same UK in the last few weeks for helping an American dump his dementia father in the UK. The American disappeared before UK authorities could catch him.
Wow so it's that serious. I thought sending them to jail was even an overkill
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Discountsempai: 2:22pm On Jan 19
Astar007:

The behaviour displayed by those agabayas were typical nigerian behaviour, wicked behaviour, lack of patience and empathy, lack of pity and discernment

Yes, but there are also a lot of cases where white people, and non-Nigerians have been abusive to people in their care. And there are many Nigerians who do this job, do it well, and get paid well. Ditto for other non-Nigerians.
Re: Video Showing Nigerian Caregivers Abusing 89-Year-Old Granny Lands Them In Jail by Discountsempai: 2:24pm On Jan 19
oluwaahmed:

Wow so it's that serious. I thought sending them to jail was even an overkill

Infact there was a similar case to this one, where the relatives put a video camera even. Caregiver was sent to jail. Caregiver was a white female.

Or the one where the elder died, and the caregiver was already raiding the bank accounts. All of them whites.

Sometimes, we need to watch white people news. Especially the crime news. You go see things.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

White Express Egg Yolk Lotion With Spf 15 And Kojic Acid / Emmanuel Oyediran, Beggar Undergoes Surgery For Colostomy Prolapse / Nursing Mother Electrocuted In Benue (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.