Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,430 members, 7,815,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel (11301 Views)

FG Minimum Wage Template Will Impoverish Workers – Labour / NLC Issues December 31 Deadline To Fg-minimum Wage / Labour Suspends Strike, Wage Panel Meets Thursday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by Islie: 10:16am On Jan 19
Ahead of negotiations for the payment of a new minimum wage scheduled to commence in April 2024, the organised labour has submitted a list of its representatives who will represent Nigerian workers on the negotiation panel which is set to be constituted by the Federal Government.

For a new minimum wage to be implemented, a tripartite committee is often set up by the Federal Government to ensure smooth negotiations.

For the committee set up by the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari in 2019, the tripartite committee was headed by the then Head of Civil Service of the Federation, Ama Pepple.

The committee also had as some of its members, representatives of the organised labour, comprising the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress, alongside officials of government and the private sector.

The PUNCH had earlier reported that the President Bola Tinubu administration in the 2024 budget proposed the sum of N1tn to cater to minimum wage adjustment and other expenses.

Though the amount would later be streamlined, government officials insisted that the minimum wage would align with the current standard of living in the country.

Since the abrupt removal of subsidy on Premium Motor Spirit, popularly known as petrol, by Tinubu during his May 29, 2023 inaugural speech which led to an unprecedented hike in cost of living, there have been calls for an increase in the minimum wage by the organised labour.

Though the government noted that negotiations were not yet ripe for a new minimum wage, it approved the sum of N35,000 monthly as wage award for workers pending the time when the new minimum wage would commence.

According to the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Muhammed Idris, the new minimum way will commence in April 2024.

Speaking with our correspondent over the telephone on Thursday, the Head of Information of the NLC, Benson Upah, said though the union was not aware of the constitution of a new minimum wage panel, the government asked that the organised labour send a list of its representatives.

“The Federal Government reached out to us to send in our nominees or names of those who would represent us on the committee late last year and we did comply promptly. However, I am not aware the committee has been constituted,” Upah said.

Similarly, TUC Vice President, Tommy Etim, said the unions were worried over the late constitution of the panel. He, however, assured Nigerians that “no stone would be left unturned to effectively negotiate with the government on the National Minimum Wage.”

Earlier in December 2023, the NLC said only an amount reflective of the current economic realities would be accepted.

The NLC President, Mr Joe Ajaero, stated this in Abuja at the 19th edition of the NLC 2023 Harmattan School.

Ajaero, represented by the Vice President of the NLC, Mr Benjamin Anthony, said it was necessary for government at all levels to recognise that life and living conditions were getting more difficult.

https://punchng.com/labour-names-representatives-for-fgs-minimum-wage-panel/

2 Likes

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by Nbotee(m): 10:20am On Jan 19
Hahaha hahaha... The same Labour and govt that claimed they reached an agreement?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by Bobloco: 10:45am On Jan 19
sad
Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by Murf: 10:48am On Jan 19
All this many stories all for nothing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by azadus18: 10:48am On Jan 19
Where are the names

3 Likes

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by Dagger111(m): 10:49am On Jan 19
This is urgently needed.
Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by MrRemedyAlagbo(m): 10:50am On Jan 19
Both labour and the government doesn't mean well for the masses,the labour leaders also fighting for their pockets

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by MadamExcellency: 10:50am On Jan 19
I remember those days when I was part of the Labour Union negotiation team with Emma Ugboaja the present National Secretary. A no-nonsensee set for that matter.

1 Like

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by SmartPolician: 10:51am On Jan 19
Labour should make the minimum wage between 50k - 100k. 200k is unrealistic.

4 Likes

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by Nbote(m): 10:51am On Jan 19
This Labour Union are just using Nigerians to catch cruise

2 Likes

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by cenaman(m): 10:52am On Jan 19
Any amount below #200k should be rejected by labour union.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by Honestey: 10:52am On Jan 19
The only thing I want to hear is strike

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by Lifeinlight: 10:54am On Jan 19
We no trust una again
Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by Beuberry(f): 10:55am On Jan 19
Joe Agbero, be serious this year and see how FG ll respect NLC. I v never seen a NLC president beaten balablue before except you, Jonathan!

3 Likes

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by Skillsnigeria: 10:57am On Jan 19
Okay
Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by ATEAMS: 10:58am On Jan 19
Only u ?
Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by ecolime(m): 11:02am On Jan 19
MadamExcellency:
I remember those days when I was part of the Labour Union negotiation team with Emma Ugboaja the present National Secretary. A no-nonsensee set for that matter.
Are you that woman putting on a Lab coat?

1 Like

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by MadamExcellency: 11:02am On Jan 19
Beuberry:
Joe Agbero, be serious this year and see how FG ll respect NLC. I've never seen an NLC president beat Balablue before except you, Jonathan!

This sacrifice brought peace to Imo State. All those louts, agberos, and police commandants were removed. It was a sacrifice worth paying. We had a peaceful end-of-year and New Year period.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by mobileboy: 11:05am On Jan 19
cenaman:
Any amount below #200k should be rejected by labour union.

how many private business can afford to pay their staff this

can filling station afford to pay their fuel attendants this?
can shopping mall pay their each of their many cashier this?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by Daviddoma(m): 11:06am On Jan 19
Islie:

https://punchng.com/labour-names-representatives-for-fgs-minimum-wage-panel/
What agreement again thought they said everything have been agreed n these govt and lies
Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by MadamExcellency: 11:06am On Jan 19
ecolime:

Are you that woman putting on a Lab coat?

You are sharp.

1 Like

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by OKUCHI11(m): 11:10am On Jan 19
mobileboy:

how many private business can afford to pay their staff this

can filling station afford to pay their fuel attendants this?
can shopping mall pay their each of their many cashier this?
that's the truth... government should focus on others things because an increased minimum wage will just lead to further inflation

1 Like

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by Akwamkpuruamu: 11:10am On Jan 19
MadamExcellency:

Na u wear that lab coat like a small geh
Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by Kinzo0917(m): 11:15am On Jan 19
SmartPolician:
Labour should make the minimum wage between 50k - 100k. 200k is unrealistic.

My thought 💭 aswell

But is not bad if dey start with 200k then dey can negotiate it down

If dey start with 100k, govt won't pay more than 40k

My thought 💭 though
Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by ecolime(m): 11:19am On Jan 19
MadamExcellency:

You are sharp.
Lol

It's easy to figure out as only one woman is there.

Great you played your part in our nation building although I am sure your 'No-nonsense' team is not 100% immune from Ghana-must-go largesse.

I know you won't admit it cheesy
Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by Kinzo0917(m): 11:20am On Jan 19
[quote author=cenaman post=128017335]Any amount below #200k should be rejected by labour

Govt cannot pay 200k as minimum wage na .haba

You want them to use all their revenues in paying only salaeies?

200k.as minimum wage should be a beginner salary in d civil/public service. That means workers from level 5 and above will get even more
Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by Beuberry(f): 11:29am On Jan 19
MadamExcellency:

This sacrifice brought peace to Imo State. All those louts, agberos, and police commandants were removed. It was a sacrifice worth paying. We had a peaceful end-of-year and New Year period.
I no get you o, you mean his beatings was a sacrifice?

2 Likes

Re: Labour Names Representatives For FG’s Minimum Wage Panel by giantstar: 11:29am On Jan 19
After the meeting many stones would be left unturned, because they're just going there to collect their parcels as usual. If labour want to gather supporters for themselves let them go after private sectors who misuses Nigerians anyhow.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reps Reject Motion To Ban Alcohol Sale / Why Would Boko Haram Blast Kano Central Mosque? Join The Talk / NDLEA Can’t Try Me On Drug Trafficking Charge - Abba Kyari Tells Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.