Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,446 members, 7,830,234 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick (17300 Views)

When Jay Jay Okocha disciplined Oliver Kahn during match (Throwback) / Jay-Jay Okocha And Nwankwo Kanu In A Group Photo With World Football Greats / Jay-Jay Okocha And Others Announce FIFA Best Awards Nominees. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by OgaRico(m): 11:01am On Jan 27
Two male neighbours wey be dey beef for inside our compound because of their wives be forget say issue dey between them when my idolo Jay Jay bi score this goal.

The two men run out of their house come outside with much excitement then hug in celebration of the goal and na so two of them settle o.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by bobonla: 11:06am On Jan 27
happney65:
Aha!

I remember this very well. It was in 2004. I remember watching it at a roadside viewing centre at Olorunsogo.. Okocha just won the BBC African footballer of the year when he singlehandedly brought Bolton Wonderers from Relegation

It was just the stroke of half time. Okocha scored that wonderful goal and we went into half time

Before then, Cameroun has always been our nemesis beating us back to back even with ojoro from their top guy,Issa Hayatou who was the CAF chairman then

We went on to win that game 2-1 and that was what broke the camerounian jinz ever since then..

P.S.Camoroun also had the best of the best in their team then not their current crop of players who I believe we can defeat tonight
I remember watching it in our neighbor house in Cameroon. Hehehe. When Cameroon first scored he was happy, when Nigeria scored, I and my brothers were happy, he then drove us from his house. Lol Mr Ojong very funny man grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by OgaRico(m): 11:09am On Jan 27
Somebody don tell me this same thing wey you just type but I bi feel say him just dey talk for talking sake.
I grow up idolizing him o and if we meet and him form, when I blow me sef go return the forming to am sha.

Kollabo419:
Nna mehnnn

Met this dude at Banana island runway on his regular early morning jogging
Carry cap cover face

What a snubber mehnnn
Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by Adakintroy: 11:11am On Jan 27
If my memory serve me right we still lost that game.

Jay is one of the most over hyped player in football history. Was never well oriented in football as regard end goals. never played with any real intent or purpose just mindless circle dribbles..little wonder caf and the world never confer on him any known award. We nigerian like him but not clubs he played for..once they saw through his cirlcle dribble they were quick to release him. He was not a magician. He was a trick star.

It took the likes of Sam allardice and their decipline antics to get him to play real team football for once in his life and that was at the twilight of his career. That's why his best football days was at Bolton. Otherwise he was just a crowd pleaser with nor ending outcome. For those of you thinking am hating, consider that For all his dribble, he hardly never emerge much as highest goal scorer, or had the highest assist or created the most chance in games. But he will emerge somehow as the most liked and most entertaining Player by the crowd. I mean by the crowd. Crowd have a need to be entertained. Coaches consider mostly ur vital stats.

Football has an end. And that's is what we call the "goals" JJ miss it many time both literally and metaphorical. By literal I mean his shots are wide. I mean way wide at times.

By metaphorically I mean to this day he did not opt for coaching or footballing academy but gambling. Am sure he was throwing away games for money even before he became a full fleshed gambling kingpin. If you are into money that way you into money that way. Bad habit no de start one day.

You call him your legend. I call him distinctively average player.
Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by femi4: 11:12am On Jan 27
Obakoolex:
Yes we remember it was a beautiful retaliation after they scored us few minutes earlier grin

The match was between Etoo and Okocha
And the Attacker called Utaka scored the winning goal from a 'sojunu' pass from Kanu

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by femi4: 11:13am On Jan 27
achorladey:
That player called NDIEFI 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 that day ehn grin grin grin
It was Olembe in 2000,then came Ndiefi in 2002 grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by CaptainFM1: 11:42am On Jan 27
Okocha, BBC player of the year! Funny how he never won African Player of the year.
Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by lomprico(m): 11:54am On Jan 27
Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by oyepaulkay(m): 12:07pm On Jan 27
Tunisia 2004

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by Antai123(m): 12:11pm On Jan 27
G00dharddick:

Which nairalanders?

You should know I don't have time for such people. And obi actually won the last elections massively even though he was rigged out and his votes was highly reduced. This is a known fact. Even one of the river state governments officials said this.
Tell him to read what Jega said recently about the election. He should go back to yesterday post and read the little article by Jega about 2023election.
Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by pkasso(m): 12:12pm On Jan 27
One of the many memorable moments that made Jay-Jay Okocha, Nigeria's most iconic football player. The match was on a Sunday afternoon. We were watching the game on NTA and also listening to commentary on radio. The radio broadcast, of course was some seconds faster than the TV transmission. Cameroon had taken the lead some minutes earlier and halftime was approaching. "Freekick to Nigeria. Okocha standing over it." For a moment, we switched attention from the TV to radio. ". . Gooooalll!!"

I still remember running out of the house into the streets, celebrating even before the free kick hit the back of the net on TV. Those were happy times. Na those days, boys dey follow Super Eagles with passion. If Nigeria dey play match, the streets go dey deserted. Even NEPA wey no dey bring light, dey turn up when Eagles get match.

Whatever happened to the Nigeria Supporters' Club, led by Rauf Ladipo? Those guys were the life of the party, with their awesome vibes. They were famous globally. I believe they were a big part of what made Nigerian teams at all levels successful back then. They created that vibrant atmosphere with their songs and drums and dancing. Those days, if the boys never score and fans were getting impatient, you go dey hear "all we are saying, give us one goal".

A few days, I was listening to Austin Milado's Super Eagles Carry Go on my phone and nostalgia washed over me. That song was a jam. Lagbaja also had one back in the day. ". . tell Brazilia, Tell Argentina, when it comes to soccer. . Nigeria l'oko iya won". Those songs dey ginger players to go all out and die on that pitch. Nothing like that today. All the Afrobeats superstars and mad producers wey we get, none of dem fit enter studio, come up with an inspiring jam, or even a refix of the old ones for the Super Eagles. England have their own football anthem "It's Coming Home", a popular tournament tune dating back to Euro' 96.

Hopefully, the Super Eagles win today and bring smiles to the faces of the millions of Nigerians cheering them on back home.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by happney65: 12:12pm On Jan 27
TheLawAsItIs:

I remember the match too. There was no light back then. I watched it at Powerline, Ijaiye Ojokoro, Lagos from a TV that was powered with a car battery.

Which Olorunsogo by the way, Abeokuta or Ibadan?

Olorunsogo,Ibadan
Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by yemex04(m): 12:16pm On Jan 27
Adakintroy:

Your Memory did not serve you right because Nigeria won this Match 2:1

Jay is one of the most over hyped player in football history. Was never well oriented in football as regard end goals. never played with any real intent or purpose just mindless circle dribbles..little wonder caf and the world never confer on him any known award. We nigerian like him but not clubs he played for..once they saw through his cirlcle dribble they were quick to release him. He was not a magician. He was a trick star.

It took the likes of Sam allardice and their decipline antics to get him to play real team football for once in his life and that was at the twilight of his career. That's why his best football days was at Bolton. Otherwise he was just a crowd pleaser with nor ending outcome. For those of you thinking am hating, consider that For all his dribble, he hardly never emerge much as highest goal scorer, or had the highest assist or created the most chance in games. But he will emerge somehow as the most liked and most entertaining Player by the crowd. I mean by the crowd. Crowd have a need to be entertained. Coaches consider mostly ur vital stats.

Football has an end. And that's is what we call the "goals" JJ miss it many time both literally and metaphorical. By literal I mean his shots are wide. I mean way wide at times.

By metaphorically I mean to this day he did not opt for coaching or footballing academy but gambling. Am sure he was throwing away games for money even before he became a full fleshed gambling kingpin. If you are into money that way you into money that way. Bad habit no de start one day.

You are very well entitled to this your Opinion..We all can not see all things from the same Perceptive,

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by Adakintroy: 12:19pm On Jan 27
yemex04:

Yeah I guess

You are very well entitled to this your Opinion..We all can not see all things from the same Perceptive,
Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by Adakintroy: 12:23pm On Jan 27
yemex04:

Certainly, we can't always see things from similar perspective. But most alternative perspective don't come with details just touchy feelings. How they feel he is the greatest.

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by bionixs: 12:28pm On Jan 27
Men dem
Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by FireUpNow(m): 1:17pm On Jan 27
Trendy247:
We don't have any striker currently. Victor Oshimen just dey do busy body for nothing.

Those supporting Victor Osimhen are not feeding him with good passes.

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by hstar: 1:53pm On Jan 27
Kollabo419:
Nna mehnnn

Met this dude at Banana island runway on his regular early morning jogging
Carry cap cover face

What a snubber mehnnn
U can't blame him bro, Nigeria is dangerous right now, in fact, very dangerous!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by Flamengo: 1:54pm On Jan 27
Marvieduke:
I remembered watching that match, same free kick when he was in Bolton Wanderers.....

WoW

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by hstar: 2:01pm On Jan 27
Vinnie2000:

This Freekick and Match in 2004 was the Talk of the Town for Days. smiley smiley

After Suffering the painful defeat to Cameroon in that 2000 final,
This Victory felt like a Sweet Revenge! smiley

I remember Roger Milla, sweating under the Sunny weather and wiping his Face with Handkerchief. cheesy
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by hstar: 2:03pm On Jan 27
G00dharddick:

Which nairalanders?

You should know I don't have time for such people. And obi actually won the last elections massively even though he was rigged out and his votes was highly reduced. This is a known fact. Even one of the river state governments officials said this.
True
Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by hstar: 2:08pm On Jan 27
EbenezerTriumph:

Issa Hayatou CAF chairman that year
Patrick Mboma
Woke
Robert Song (Captain)
Aladiere Song of Arsenal
Samuel Eto o
Omo them been plenty wey hot that year for Cameroon
Geremi of Chelsea
Ndiefi too was hot
Djemba djemba of man u

By the way, it's 'rigobert' not 'Robert'

And it's 'wome' not 'woke'

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by Excuzeme: 2:30pm On Jan 27
these current set of headless Chickens dont have the football intelligence to play like the Okocha/Yekini era.
Have you seen them score a single Freekick (even to hit target!) in the earlier matches they have been playing?
Ordinary accurate Pass, they cannot make.
I am Patriotic but l am also realistic.

Anyone who invests their good health in this Super Chickens will have depression at the end of the day. grin grin
But we cant blame them, people like that NFF Chairman Amaju Picknick, who wangled himself into CAF now, are to blame.
These Sports Administrators are traitors who destroyed our football, because of the kickbacks they are getting from employing Foreign Coaches (who contribute nadda to our football development, as we can see from the downward spiral of the Super Eagles) and assembling foreign -based players a the bedrock of the Super Eagles.
We all know that African football is not the same as European Football because the style, pattern and energy levels are different.

But is it not foolishness, that we destroy (or fail to work diligently on improving) our own National League, then go and assemble all these second-rate footballers in Europe, and call then our National team?
Every Team that plays well, takes the bulk of its players from their Home League nd that is why we need to develop our Home League, for a country of over 200Million Football-crazy fans.
Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by 642akintoye: 2:48pm On Jan 27
Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by Ubdavis(m): 2:51pm On Jan 27
There would never be a player like JJ from Nigeria again

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by donmik: 3:17pm On Jan 27
Still a clear pic in my memory.
That guy is so hated by Cameroun eh

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by OGHENAOGIE(m): 3:19pm On Jan 27
Olalekanbanky1:

Ok na
I sha know he went through lots of bashing after the match and he announced his retirement. He later came back
what bashing u are just exaggerating oga
Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by shadrach77: 3:23pm On Jan 27
Adakintroy:

No we didn't. Nigeria won that game. John Utaka scored the winner. It ended 2-1 in favour of Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by kevinexit(m): 3:26pm On Jan 27
ecolime:
Jay Jay- He was so good they named him twice cheesy

BTW, I am surprised Osaze Odemwengie played with him and Kanu.

Me too I'm surprised to see Osaze Odemwengie
Never knew Osaze Odemwengie was such an old player. No wonder he played with experience.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by culidea: 3:32pm On Jan 27
happney65:
Aha!

I remember this very well. It was in 2004. I remember watching it at a roadside viewing centre at Olorunsogo.. Okocha just won the BBC African footballer of the year when he singlehandedly brought Bolton Wonderers from Relegation

It was just the stroke of half time. Okocha scored that wonderful goal and we went into half time

Before then, Cameroun has always been our nemesis beating us back to back even with ojoro from their top guy,Issa Hayatou who was the CAF chairman then

We went on to win that game 2-1 and that was what broke the camerounian jinz ever since then..

P.S.Camoroun also had the best of the best in their team then not their current crop of players who I believe we can defeat tonight

I must know you... I watched that match at that same place. Olorunsogo bus stop by the round about... lets connect!
Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by Dybala11(m): 3:37pm On Jan 27
G00dharddick:

Which nairalanders?

This guy and useless propaganda. Say na Rivers State government officials, as per say na dem coordinate the election abi?
Re: Nigeria Vs Cameroon When Jay Jay Okocha Scored Cameroon With Beautiful Free Kick by happney65: 4:15pm On Jan 27
culidea:

I must know you... I watched that match at that same place. Olorunsogo bus stop by the round about... lets connect!

Really?

Sure!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sani Kaita Celebrates His 31st Birthday Today / Arsenal Enter Race To Sign Osimhen From Napoli / Sunday Dare Hints At Sacking Gernot Rohr Over Poor Performance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.