Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,125 members, 7,835,772 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi (23945 Views)

Can Bola Tinubu, Nigeria’s Ailing Kingmaker, Win The Presidency? - AL JAZEERA / Saraki To Tinubu: Nigeria Bigger Than You, I Acted In National Interest / Sit-At-Home: Major Roads And Streets In Awka Deserted (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by IfnobeGod20: 2:03pm On Feb 03
HeeBraHim2:

What you wrote in unverifiable, but I love the fact that you include Lagos in your story.

😂

That alone prove some point .. meanwhile Anambra cannot survive without the federal government allocation.
The way some of you compare Lagos to other states of the federation, shows you don't know anything about the country. The effects in Lagos alone is enough to feed her and those effects have been there since immemorial, before the advent of 1999. The ports, the airport, the textile industries, the markets, many ancient companies. Virtually all the banks headquarters are resident in Lagos. Now, tell me any state that have those things? You guys should stop comparing an already viable state with crawling states. Tinubu was lucky to have administered Lagos State and nothing less. He was able to harnessed the already existing effects there and nothing more.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by ScamDemicEra: 2:04pm On Feb 03
RepoMan007:

The wailing losers have forgotten this. They assume any negative trend can always be used to promote their candidate at the expense of whoever is there now.
..... no politicians is loser in Nigeria situation, the divided suffering common folks are the losers. Labeling your fellow loser "WAILER" is soooo dumb, shows acute lack of understanding of your common oppressors.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by Ezmans: 2:06pm On Feb 03
RepoMan007:

The wailing losers have forgotten this. They assume any negative trend can always be used to promote their candidate at the expense of whoever is there now.
it's only an idiot whose father is poor will believe he him self will be poor too in life
Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by Franking: 2:08pm On Feb 03
RepoMan007:

Whoever is there now should be held responsible the same way he'd have lapped up the encomiums if it had worked. Leave Obi and Atiku out of your lemtations and face the music like the rest of us.
Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by cjfavour(m): 2:09pm On Feb 03
Someone told u that anambra didn't collect bail out and you're still saying this? What's the colour of your hate? Obi is nt the one responsible for the suffering in the country despite all attempts to link him to it by Kperogi and u? How are u sure that anambra can't survive without federal allocation? Small anambra without any federal institution being compared to Lagos and abj always, I like this. PO caused this. My prayer is that one day anambra river port will start working. I wonder how people like you will cry when that happens.
HeeBraHim2:

What you wrote in unverifiable, but I love the fact that you include Lagos in your story.

😂

That alone prove some point .. meanwhile Anambra cannot survive without the federal government allocation.
Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by ClearFlair: 2:10pm On Feb 03
RepoMan007:

Keep deceiving yourselves. Who makes drastic changes without a contingency plan. Now your plan is to be saying other candidates would have done the same. That is your personal opinion lol
Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by Franking: 2:16pm On Feb 03
RepoMan007:
Because of this tiny comment you quote the whole article? Use your brain oga.

I tire o.
grin
Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 2:16pm On Feb 03
Obi might have said he will remove fuel Subsidy , but not so quick like Tinubu as if all his life depends on Fuel Subsidy....

A man who was never part of the previous government of Buhari...

A man who never for once raised voices or made corrections during Buhari's tenure just came immediately into power to start removing things he can't fix ....

Who does that?......
Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by Fiscus105(m): 2:17pm On Feb 03
nairalanda1:

That is the problem with the article.

Mr Kperoogi, like most Nigerians believes that subsides are essential for our economic growth. Well, we tried subsides for over 40 years, and our economy has not grown as it should. Unless he wants to suddenly label all our past NIgerian leaders, the ones he blasted inclusive, as good leaders.

The problem with the subsidy wasn't even the corruption. It was the fact that we were running out of money to maintain fuel below N200 , talkless of below N100 even. It was getting to a point where our debt servicing was above 90% of our revenue.

But people like Kperoogi, and most Nigerians, including here on this site, are in denial. They want subsidy to be kept, and all they believe is that if we eliminate corruption, it would be ok.

Well, it won't. SO long as fuel consumption, production cost, increase, it means that government would be spending more and more and more money on subsides. TO the point that our debt would eat all our earnings, and grow larger than our earnings. Then the economy collapses.

That is why over the years, there have been partial removal of subsides, including by this admin. The problem is, the whole subsidy thing has discouraged domestic refining. And now we are about to have a domestic refinery...and subsidy has not yet been removed.

NIger, GHana, and many African countries have working refineries and no subsidies.

THe thing is, subsidy has to go. The annoying thing is that supporting subsidy removal means in the mind of Kperogi and most NIgerians that you are a supporter of the corn, or a tinubu supporter. Pardon. I no dey support APC. Or any other big party. But when I hear that our debt was , until this latest partial removal, eating over 90% of our revenue, what else should I support? Subsidies remaining, and a disaster happening? Or a total removal, and at least some hope we survive long enough for some sort of diversification to kick in (I don't trust that this government is even serious about it self).

Supporting subsidy removal does not mean you support tinubu, IMF, OBi, atiku, gej, buhari, obasanjo, IBB, et. It means you support NIgeria not being like Sri Lanka down the road, where we have no money, and are at the mercy of IMF . INfact, we are already there.

Venezuela has subsidsed fuel for over 60 years. See where they are. Dead broke.

........and who told u subsidy has gone on petrol? How much is diesel and kerosene compare it petrol.

You only succeeded in writing long epistle but full of fallacy.

With the policies that Tinubu embarked upon, the economy will destroy without redemption during his reign.
Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by Franking: 2:18pm On Feb 03
HeeBraHim2:

😂

Will the federal government allow Anambra to manage the natural resources in the state? You can't take from the state and not give it it's share. Concentrate on Tinumbu and his failures and leave Obi and Anambra out of.it.
Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by IfnobeGod20: 2:18pm On Feb 03
nairalanda1:

That is the problem with the article.

Mr Kperoogi, like most Nigerians believes that subsides are essential for our economic growth. Well, we tried subsides for over 40 years, and our economy has not grown as it should. Unless he wants to suddenly label all our past NIgerian leaders, the ones he blasted inclusive, as good leaders.

The problem with the subsidy wasn't even the corruption. It was the fact that we were running out of money to maintain fuel below N200 , talkless of below N100 even. It was getting to a point where our debt servicing was above 90% of our revenue.

But people like Kperoogi, and most Nigerians, including here on this site, are in denial. They want subsidy to be kept, and all they believe is that if we eliminate corruption, it would be ok.

Well, it won't. SO long as fuel consumption, production cost, increase, it means that government would be spending more and more and more money on subsides. TO the point that our debt would eat all our earnings, and grow larger than our earnings. Then the economy collapses.

That is why over the years, there have been partial removal of subsides, including by this admin. The problem is, the whole subsidy thing has discouraged domestic refining. And now we are about to have a domestic refinery...and subsidy has not yet been removed.

NIger, GHana, and many African countries have working refineries and no subsidies.

THe thing is, subsidy has to go. The annoying thing is that supporting subsidy removal means in the mind of Kperogi and most NIgerians that you are a supporter of the corn, or a tinubu supporter. Pardon. I no dey support APC. Or any other big party. But when I hear that our debt was , until this latest partial removal, eating over 90% of our revenue, what else should I support? Subsidies remaining, and a disaster happening? Or a total removal, and at least some hope we survive long enough for some sort of diversification to kick in (I don't trust that this government is even serious about it self).

Supporting subsidy removal does not mean you support tinubu, IMF, OBi, atiku, gej, buhari, obasanjo, IBB, et. It means you support NIgeria not being like Sri Lanka down the road, where we have no money, and are at the mercy of IMF . INfact, we are already there.

Venezuela has subsidsed fuel for over 60 years. See where they are. Dead broke.
I hope you will agree with me that what we call subsidy is the cost of export of the crude oil and the landing cost of the refined oil?
If the above is true. Then, what stops the government from revamping the dying refineries and make them work optimally. I think that will naturally take away the export cost and the landing cost. We are just chasing shadows, thinking we are doing the right thing. Every successive governments refused to revamped the refineries and make them functional. The question is, why do they find it difficult to revamp the refineries but instead take pleasure to go and refine the crude oil outside. No matter how, there will be little gap in price of the refined oil refined locally. The idea that there will be no difference is a big lie from the pit of hell. Even if the sales benchmark is ₦500 and the production cost is ₦350. There would be a gain of say ₦150 for the country.

Meanwhile, that Atiku, Tinubu and Obi says they would remove subsidy, that doesn't mean all of them would follow same pattern to remove it. Aside from Obi, he was the only one that explained what he will do immediately he removed it. He said, he will fight the corruption in the oil industry, empower modular refineries and revamp the existing refineries while the rest just say they would remove and never explain what they would do after removing it.
Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:19pm On Feb 03
rejoice4eva:
Why trying to blame Obi for a Tinubu's failure?......Why shifting responsibility? If the other way round, will Obi get the credit.
Let us call a spade a spade. Hypocrisy cannot get us anywhere.
Tinubu and his cohort failed Nigeria and they should take full responsibility

They’re really annoying…including that Kperoggi dude! When their ‘emperor’ is shown up for the naked and clueless fellow he is, which we warned them about just as we warned them about Buhari, they will start blowing hot useless grammar like we see now with the OP….and try to find a way to rope Peter Obi into taking part of the blame for their own blinkered electoral choice! Peter Obi never said he will remove subsidy in the abrupt and unplanned manner Tinubu did…..shooting from the hips as it were, not caring for the short and long term implications to the poor masses and the economy!

1 Like

Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by seborrhic: 2:22pm On Feb 03
RepoMan007:
The guy must be a born f ool.
Imagine quoting that long essay just to type 3 sentences.
Even if your reply is long,commonsense should tell anyone quoting long posts is annoying

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by pikechukwu6(m): 2:24pm On Feb 03
Same story... Mumunubu dey France for Drugs check up grin
Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by GreenCovering: 2:27pm On Feb 03

The idea that petrol subsidies had to go because they were riddled with corruption and that they consumed a disproportionate share of our national budget is a mere propagandistic cop-out...
I don't agree with above because is it not because of the same subsidy cabal that after the federal government had settled them subsidy money for importing and distributing fuel would then need to borrow money to pay staff salaries? This was common knowledge oga Kperogi.
Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by nairalanda1(m): 2:29pm On Feb 03
Fiscus105:

........abd who told u subsidy has gone on petrol? How much is diesel and kerosene compare it petrol.

You only succeeded in writing long epistle but full of fallacy.

With the policies that Tinubu embarked upon, the economy will destroy without redemption in his hands.

I know subsidy has not gone, son. cheesy
Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by nairalanda1(m): 2:30pm On Feb 03
ReubenE:

You are still parroting this your angst with subsidy. Thought you abandoned it after our last dialogue.
You should be asking yourself why 90% of "our oyel" money goes into debt servicing. It is so because those loans were not used for anything meaningful but looted. If those loans were self servicing, you'll not be talking about 90%

And what's your obsession with the narrative that Nigeria does not have money. I'm beginning to think you are a politician directly or indirectly.
Senators, Reps, Presidency, and government at lower levels budget billions for frivolities and you still believe Nigeria does not have money. It is absurd that it is what affects poor people that y'all always remember that Nigeria does not have money.

All your other points, I need not address them as we've been there before.

Okay, tell me how we would pay subsidy with most of our revenue going for debt service, or please keep quiet.

NO, seriously, even if we get back all the loot, and so forth, we won't still have enough.

Look, I am not excusing any politican, or anyone. COrruption needs to stop

But ending corruption and so forth won't provide enough money for subsidy.

You are free to disagree with me, but we can end corruption, and end subsidy. Neither are good for NIgeria.

Modified

We got to 90% debt service because at the end of the day, oil prices are never where we want them to be all the time.

IN brief, oil should be above 100 or more dollars per barrel for us to earn enough (133 as at 2020)...OIl most of the time has been below that price. Hence we take debts.

Does that mean corruption does not exist or contribute. No. Corruption is there. But our reliance on oil is why we have a debt problem.

That is why government has been told time and time again to diversify the economy.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:39pm On Feb 03
[b]The current state of affairs isn’t unavoidable. It’s the predictable consequence of the pigheaded pursuit of a ruinous policy of subsidy removal from petrol, the lifeblood of Nigeria. I sounded an early warning about this a month before Tinubu was inaugurated.

But it was always obvious to anyone with even a halfway functioning brain that removing petrol subsidies in a weak, oil-producing economy that is organically petrol dependent, that has no well-developed public transportation system, that has weak infrastructures, and that is the poverty capital of the world would trigger infernal anguish on the vast majority of the people and tank the economy to the ground.

I came of age during General Ibrahim Babangida’s regime. IBB started the so-called structural adjustment programs (removal of subsidies, devaluation of the naira, mass retrenchment, etc.), which inaugurated Nigeria’s descent into the abyss. I heard the exact same things the current government is spouting during IBB’s time: that it would get worse before it got better, that after the birth pangs a big bouncing baby would be born, that there was delayed gratification awaiting us if only we could be a little more patient
[/b]

Will nairalanda1 agree

The truth is that we have no original, independent thinkers among people who make or influence economic policies in Nigeria. They are all hopelessly mindless parrots of ill-comprehended economic prescriptions of the Bretton Woods institutions. They do not have the cognitive and intellectual sophistication to transcend what I call derivative or regurgitative knowledge.
JagabanB will say Kperoogi is hating the political class because they are smarter than him
Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by nairalanda1(m): 2:41pm On Feb 03
IfnobeGod20:

I hope you will agree with me that what we call subsidy is the cost of export of the crude oil and the landing cost of the refined oil?

Erm, sorry, but that is not how subsidy works.

Basically, before we imported crude, petrol was sold below the cost of production, and what was paid to NNPC to cover the resulting loss was the subsidy

Then when the ineviatble happened and our refineries crashed, we started having our crude refined abroad at low cost refineries. The petrol was brought in at a price called the landing cost. NNPC and (until 2016) other importers sold that fuel below market price to depots, who sold it at a set price above what they bought it from to the market/independent marketers..

The loss NNPC and other importers paid was covered by.....subsidy payments. Government stopped paying importers in 2016/17, and made NNPC sole importer.

Your definition is not correct.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by Fiscus105(m): 2:42pm On Feb 03
IfnobeGod20:

If the above is true. Then, what stops the government from revamping the dying refineries and make them work optimally. I think that will naturally take away the export cost and the landing cost. We are just chasing shadows, thinking we are doing the right thing. Every successive governments refused to revamped the refineries and make them functional. The question is, why do they find it difficult to revamp the refineries but instead take pleasure to go and refine the crude oil outside. No matter how, there will be little gap in price of the refined oil refined locally. The idea that there will be no difference is a big lie from the pit of hell. Even if the sales benchmark is ₦500 and the production cost is ₦350. There would be a gain of say ₦150 for the country.

Meanwhile, that Atiku, Tinubu and Obi says they would remove subsidy, that doesn't mean all of them would follow same pattern to remove it. Aside from Obi, he was the only one that explained what he will do immediately he removed it. He said, he will fight the corruption in the oil industry, empower modular refineries and revamp the existing refineries while the rest just say they would remove and never explain what they would do after removing it.

Ur definition of subsidy is wrong .

Subsidy = Actual cost - Amount sold it for citizens.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by Jagabanarmy: 2:44pm On Feb 03
ogododo:

https://www.farooqkperogi.com/2024/02/tinubu-nigeria-is-sinking-and-streets.html
I never supported the subsidy remover for obvious reasons and we can see the result today. The precious governments that didn't remove the subsidy aren't fools. They know the consequences and they avoided it.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by Yelight(m): 2:45pm On Feb 03
jmoore:
I find it ridiculous when some folks keep repeating 'Obi also said he will remove subsidy and float the forex'.

There is a difference between words and actions. One might change plans when faced with the negative impacts that may occur.

It is ridiculous to cherrypick the one that suits you. Why didn't Kperogi say anything about how Obi promised to fight insecurity if elected? Tinubu, Obi and Atiku promised to fight insecurity. Why is Tinubu not implementing the fight? Terrorists are doing promo. Kperogi should channel his criticism only on the one elected.

Are you taking him serious? You should know they all know their articles cannot fly if Peter Obi's name don't appear in them.
Obi said he will remove subsidy but not all at once, 50% first then use the proceed to improve the economy, study it and then the remaining 50%.
Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by Shikini: 2:47pm On Feb 03
HeeBraHim2:

Use Google. You'll never see anything connecting these states to Buhari's bailout funds

Lagos has been the economic capital of Nigeria long before some of you were born. The city's standing as federal capital territory during the oil boom era, MM Airport, Tincan & Apapa Seaports all made Lagos what it is today. 85% of major roads and 90% of flyover bridges in Lagos were all built by federal govt.

Rivers State on the other hand is the oil capital of Nigeria

Anambra state is the only Nigerian state doing very well financially without federal support or a natural resource unlike Lagos and Rivers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by mofaderera500: 2:47pm On Feb 03
The ship started sinking from day one with just one statement: "Subsidy is gone". It was a total war declarationThe ship started sinking from day one with just one statement: "Subsidy is gone". It was a total war declaration...

1 Like

Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by Anatolia: 2:49pm On Feb 03
This is the best article that summarizes the situation of Nigeria.
Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by Calitoscassius(m): 2:49pm On Feb 03
RepoMan007:
You didn't make any sense either, What is your opinion on the topic? Let's hear you!
Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by nairalanda1(m): 2:52pm On Feb 03
jmoore:
I find it ridiculous when some folks keep repeating 'Obi also said he will remove subsidy and float the forex'.

There is a difference between words and actions. One might change plans when faced with the negative impacts that may occur.

It is ridiculous to cherrypick the one that suits you. Why didn't Kperogi say anything about how Obi promised to fight insecurity if elected? Tinubu, Obi and Atiku promised to fight insecurity. Why is Tinubu not implementing the fight? Terrorists are doing promo. Kperogi should channel his criticism only on the one elected.

Obi would have removed subsidy. It is not because he is as bad as tinubu, but because once he took power he would be faced with the fact that Buhari has left a debt service that takes 90% of our revenue, and our forex reserves are all tied up in loans.

Once faced with that, he would have to cut subsides drastically.

See, TInubu would have loved to keep subsides. Because that means he can sleep in peace and his supporters would not disturb him. But when debt service is as at April 2023 eating 90% of your revenue, you have no choice. Keep subsidy, and you keep kicking the can down the road. The inevitable gets delayed.

At the end, whoever took power, (and this does not mean we should have voted tinubu, tinubu should hav e been voted out, APC had failed Nigeria, and failed to diversify...said diversifcation may have provided cash for maintaining subsides a while longer)...the subsidy was going to go. And even if he removed it a little bit...remember GEJ removed subsidy a little bit, and Nigerians still protested on the street?

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by Anatolia: 2:52pm On Feb 03
Yelight:

Are you taking him serious? You should know they all know their articles cannot fly if Peter Obi's name don't appear in them.
Obi said he will remove subsidy but not all at once, 50% first then use the proceed to improve the economy, study it and then the remaining 50%.

The truth is anybody that wants to remove subsidy or float the naira is an enemy of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by Good2go1: 2:52pm On Feb 03
You may do the same thing but produce different outcomes depending on methodology employed. e.g you cook rice and produce fried rice, jollof rice or coconut rice they are all rice but different taste. Any reasonable person could not have made major decisions on the day of hand over. The wise thing to do is to settle down properly study the fuel price components make enquiries if there's unnecessary price components you remove it and you see subsidy gone without increasing fuel price. That's was what Peter emphasised on. The truth is no reasonable person that will support Tinubu.
RepoMan007:

Re: Tinubu, Nigeria Is Sinking And Streets Are Full Of Tears- Kperogi by JagabanB: 2:55pm On Feb 03
Agboriotejoye:

Will nairalanda1 agree

JagabanB will say Kperoogi is hating the political class because they are smarter than him
If u think u are smarter than the political class, prove it by getting into politics and making the difference, when u sitting and u are talking, it's easy to do.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Experts Kick As 40 Presidential Panels Gulp N20bn / Independent Surveys Give Jonathan Edge Over Buhari / 8000 Boko Haram Members Surrender Voluntarily – Military

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.