Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,122 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours (26957 Views)

CBN Raises Customs FX Duty Rate For Cargo Clearance By 14% / Kiki Osinbajo Pens Down Message To Her Father As He Begin Another 4 years / Nigeria Is Finished If Buhari Remains For Another 4 Years - Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by treesun: 5:18pm On Feb 03
Barely 24 hours after it increased the Customs exchange rate to N1, 356.883 per dollar on Friday, the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, has Saturday morning once again jerked up the rate to N1, 413.62.

The new rate has since been reflected on the Customs trade portal. The increase was vehemently opposed by importers and Customs brokers when it first increased Customs import duty rate by 43 percent on Friday.

Describing the increase as devastating, the Chief Executive Officer of the Centre for the Promotion for Private Enterprise, CPPE, Dr. Muda Yusuf said The drastic upward review of the exchange rate for the computation of import duty from N952 to N1,413.62 would have a negative effect on businesses across all sectors. This is a whopping 42.5% increase. This is like the last straw.

He stated that businesses are yet to recover from the shocks of the new round of currency devaluation resulting from the sudden unification of the exchange rate which has driven the official exchange rate to about N1400.

He said: “It is double jeopardy for the investors across all sectors especially those in the real sector. This action will further fuel inflation as production and operating costs get escalated. The vulnerable segments of the population will be further impoverished as cost push inflation gets exacerbated.

“CPPE appeals to the CBN to reverse this rate hike in the interest of the already impoverished segments of our society and the numerous businesses that are already on the verge of collapse.

“The shocks, disruptions and dislocations are of immense proportions. It is even worse that the rates take immediate effect. This is a policy action that is difficult to justify, especially in the context of the multidimensional headwinds that businesses are grappling with.

“The CPPE recommends that, going forward, the determination of the exchange rate for import duty computation should be treated as a fiscal policy matter and located within the remit of the fiscal authorities which is the finance ministry. This is necessary for proper alignment with extant fiscal policies.

Alhaji Tanko Ibrahim, the National Coordinator of the National Association of Government Approved Freight Forwarders(NAGAFF) told our reporter that the apex bank is not yet done with its fiddling with the Customs exchange rate as it plans to increase it again soon to N1500 per dollar.

”I heard from the grapevine that the CBN plans to push the Customs exchange rate to as high as N1,500 per dollar. That is their target and they are going to do it soon” he claimed.

The agitated stakeholders were still discussing the impact of Friday’s increase before they were once again hit by yet another hike which commentators feared may lead to the collapse of the import business and difficulty of the Nigeria Customs Service to meet its N5.1 trillion revenue target for 2024.

An angry stakeholder who reacted to the latest increase said the development has portrayed the present government as insensitive.

He said: ” The whole situation has given away this government as insensitive to the plight of Nigerians.

“While we are still discussing the implications of Friday’s increase and how it is going to impact the lives of the ordinary Nigerians, this government went ahead to slam yet another increase.

“I don’t know why a government can be so cruel and insensitive the irate freight forwarder lamented.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/02/again-cbn-raises-import-duty-rate-by-another-4-4-in-24-hours/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Bobloco: 5:20pm On Feb 03
shocked

1 Like

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by immortalcrown(m): 5:20pm On Feb 03
Raising import duty now means increasing the cost of living.

When I did Economics as a subject in secondary school, I was taught import duty is used to control inflow of foreign goods. That is, low import duty attracts more foreign goods while high import duty discourages patronage of foreign goods.

But today in Nigeria, high import duty does not decrease the demand for foreign goods because consumers in Nigeria refuse to give up on foreign goods. But I don't blame the consumers. The government does not control the qualities and the prices of local goods. Using local goods is suicidal in Nigeria. Almost everything is faked at traders' backyards.

Some people may praise BAT for this new import duty. The praisers will claim the new import duty will boost Nigerian economy by promoting local goods. But it is not true. Buhari closed borders with the same logic but life has been getting worse after the border closure.

A government that is sincere in raising import duty to improve its economy will first prepare the ground for it. What empowerment has this regime provided for local manufacturers before increasing the import duty? As a matter of fact, many manufacturers recently left the country. Buhari closed borders without protecting farmers from herdsmen and without increasing grants for farming. How could border closure improve agriculture in this situation? This same way, BAT removed fuel subsidy many months ago but no salary increase for civil servants since then. How are the civil servants expected to survive the subsidy removal? In addition to the inflation caused by the subsidy removal, Dollar rate has been rising and import duty just took the same upward direction. Chai!

267 Likes 35 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Penguin2: 5:21pm On Feb 03
Awalokan normally 🤡

Only fools and clowns would be surprised at what is going on right now because we warned, shouted and screamed on top of our voices that this man has nothing to offer but they preferred “Awalokan” to a sensible candidate.

This was same way we warned that Buhari had nothing to offer but they said it was hate. We ended up wasting 8 years of our National life and getting dragged 50 years backwards.

Now we warned that this mannequin was even going to be a bigger disaster but they called us IPOB.

You fools should enjoy the commodity you purchased.

When you remember that 99% of what we use in Nigeria is imported and will all be affected by this clearance rate, that’s when you will realize it’s not a joke.

Ndi ala!

169 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Seefinish: 5:22pm On Feb 03
It is now I know the meaning of " a town hall is different from balablue, bulaba

158 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by LoveLeadsLand(m): 5:23pm On Feb 03
It means further increase in the prices of things across boards. Tougher times ahead but, for the sake of our sanity, let's remember...

1. Tough times never lasts but tough people do.

2. Every problem is an opportunity if only you can take a second look.

3. Elections have consequences. So, let's use this opportunity to learn our hands-on bitter lessons.

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Namaster: 5:26pm On Feb 03
Sometimes, it feels like Tinubu and his minions are ACTIVELY trying to kill Nigerians.

Nigeria is a country that depends HEAVILY on import. From the rice they eat to the bend-down select they wear to the iPhones they use to oppress each other, ALL is thanks to importation.

With what's going on NOW, living is fast becoming UNAFFORDABLE for the average Nigerian.

And Tinubu seems to be more interested in "patchy-patchy economics" rather than fixing the HUGE mess he created.

To buy phones or cars in the next 3 months would require the savings of 3 generations.

88 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by madridguy(m): 5:27pm On Feb 03
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Psalmistproject: 5:33pm On Feb 03
This means that Rice price has just added 4.4%

So if you have been buying rice for 50k then add 4.4% to it. It will give you 52200.

This applies to others.

Now you can clearly see the government wants to kill everyone.

How is this supposed to help the people.

You haven't created jobs or economic facilities and atmosphere to help people build income yet you are directly contributing to more hardship.

This is wickedness from the pit of hell!

I know they did this at a time they feel Nigerians are a little bit happy and distracted by the afcon wins lately.

Nonsense!!

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by KillahPriest: 5:33pm On Feb 03
immortalcrown:
Raising import duty now means increasing the cost of living.

When I did Economics as a subject in secondary school, I was taught import duty is used to control inflow of foreign goods. That is, low import duty attracts more foreign goods while high import duty discourages patronage of foreign goods.

But today in Nigeria, high import duty does not decrease the demand for foreign goods because consumers in Nigeria refuse to give up on foreign goods. But I don't blame the consumers. The government does not control the standard of local goods. Using local goods is suicidal in Nigeria. Almost everything is faked at traders' backyards.
to your credit, you mentioned secondary school. Most of the locally manufactured goods in Nigeria still depend on imported foreign components since you can't have everything you want in one place. I've said it before and I'll repeat myself,, these your people in power are deliberately trying to destroy the economy and that's the only viable excuse for whatever they think they're doing which we're all seeing the effects of. A country can never tax it's already impoverished people out of its financial mess

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by immortalcrown(m): 5:38pm On Feb 03
KillahPriest:
to your credit, you mentioned secondary school. Most of the locally manufactured goods in Nigeria still depend on imported foreign components since you can't have everything you want in one place. I've said it before and I'll repeat myself,, these your people in power are deliberately trying to destroy the economy and that's the only viable excuse for whatever they think they're doing which we're all seeing the effects of. A country can never tax it's already impoverished people out of its financial mess
Yes.

3 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by ivandragon: 5:38pm On Feb 03
This is thier ultimate strategy.

Massively tax the masses to finance his jet life style.

Then they will tell you how income generation has tripled. Do some flashy substandard projects and show them as outstanding achievements while 'he' and his cronies help themselves to the commonwealth.

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by MADIFF: 5:40pm On Feb 03
I don't understand but he is in France enjoying why making life hard for citizens?

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by RepoMan007: 5:44pm On Feb 03
One killer blow after another. The signs of a crushing defeat.

16 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by DeLaRue: 5:44pm On Feb 03
immortalcrown:

But today in Nigeria, high import duty does not decrease the demand for foreign goods because consumers in Nigeria refuse to give up on foreign goods.

You think so, but that's not the reality.

There is a pain point at which demand for many imported goods will fall fast. People will simply start buying less and less of them. Whether that pain point is at N1500, N1800, or N2000 to a dollar, I don't know.

But the CBN will have the data. They know. If N1500 doesn't stiffle imports to the level they want, I suspect the CBN will not mind seeing naira close to N2,000 to a dollar.

In some ways, it is to the credit of Mr Tinubu's administration that it is willing to follow this extremely tough path to redirect the economy from import-dependence to greater local production. For a politician facing election in just over 3 years to follow a path that may not show positive results for a few years, is truly brave.

The Nigerian economy was heading for the rocks after over 40 years of mismanagement. Tough decisions are needed to correct long term over dependence on imports.

That naira/dollar pain point is the point at which local production of certain goods starts becoming more viable than importing the same goods. This should translate to us producing more of what we need locally. This will lead to more job creation, less pressure on the naira, and a stronger, more balanced economy in the long term.

But this approach comes with a lot of economic pain initially, as the country is witnessing now.

That's the theory o.

Whether things happen in practice like I stated above is a different matter, because Nigeria's situation often defy economic theory.

53 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by gaby(m): 5:51pm On Feb 03
Finish them oh! Kai

When the religious books stated that " the thief only comes to steal, destroy, and kill" I never understood until these demons came alive.

Which kind wahala be this?

Fuel price will definitely go up in the coming weeks.

Prices of goods and services, the same upward trajectory.

Automobiles and parts, gbagan

Salaries, immobile.

Tinubu is on a mission to loot as much as he can before erasing this contraption. He wants to put his region at par by hook or crook with the North before disintegration..

He truly never believed in one Nigeria.

Congratulations to him and his supporters.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by SoNature(m): 5:52pm On Feb 03
Bola Tinubu has given Yemi Cardoso the opportunity to practice his patchy-patchy voodoo economics!

And as for the outcome, your guess is as good as mine! If Emefiele was bad, Cardoso is worse off!

24 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by happney65: 5:53pm On Feb 03
By the time Tinubu is done with us heen,next time you will get sense.. grin

9 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by TheFreshVanilla: 5:53pm On Feb 03
No government is coming to save you.

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by PressMyButton: 5:54pm On Feb 03
Let CBN squeeze your balls, all ye import gluttons, unproductive beings. Let our naira breett.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Houseontherock1: 5:56pm On Feb 03
undecided

1 Like

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by ZombiePUNISHER: 5:57pm On Feb 03
Remove Subsidy

Increase Taxes

increase import duty

Strangulation of masses has commenced in full force...

Hardship like never seen before is what Tinubu wishes all his supporters

may this refined hardship favour them and their families..

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Brendaniel: 5:57pm On Feb 03
DeLaRue:

There is a pain point at which demand for many imported goods will fall fast. People will simply start buying less and less of them. Whether that pain point is at N1500, N1800, or N2000 to a dollar, I don't know.

But the CBN will have the data. They know. If N1500 doesn't stiffle imports to the level they want, I suspect the CBN will not mind seeing naira close to N2,000 to a dollar.

In some ways, it is to the credit of Mr Tinubu's administration that it is willing to follow this extremely tough path to redirect the economy from import-dependence to greater local production. For a politician facing election in just over 3 years to follow a path that may not show positive results for a few years, it is truly brave.

The Nigerian economy was heading for the rocks after over 40 years of mismanagement. Tough decisions are needed to correct long term over dependence dependence on imports.

That naira/dollar pain point is the point at which local production of certain goods starts becoming more viable than importing the same goods. This should translate to us producing more of what we need locally. This will lead to more job creation, less pressure on the naira, and a stronger, more balanced economy in the long term.

But this approach comes with a lot of economic pain initially, as the country is witnessing now.

That's the theory o.

Whether things happens like that in practice is a different matter, because Nigeria's situation often defy economic theory.

Oga it might just lead to Venezuela or Zimbabwe as long as corruption is still in governance and your government officials are living large on the nations funds...

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by DeLaRue: 6:00pm On Feb 03
SoNature:
Bola Tinubu has given Yemi Cardoso the opportunity to practice his patchy-patchy voodoo economics! And as for the outcome, your guess is as good as mine! If Emefiele was bad, Cardoso is worse off!

No one who understands economics, and understands that the Nigerian economy was on the verge of bankruptcy when Buhari left, will agree with you.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Balkan(m): 6:01pm On Feb 03
It's crucial to take note of the recent policies implemented by the Nigerian government with regards to importation and duties as these measures may have a range of unintended consequences. Although some may view these restrictions as a targeted attack on the Igbo people and their business practices, it's important to keep in mind that all Nigerians will likely be affected by these changes. The new policies may bring about various unforeseen outcomes, and it's essential for us to wait and see how these measures will play out in the long run. It's plausible that these policies may create new opportunities for Igbo businesses and economic growth, but it's equally possible that they may have negative consequences. Therefore, it's essential to remain optimistic about the future while also being realistic about the potential risks and challenges that may arise as a result of these policies.

But the bottom line is that it is target at Igbos. I am very sure they will always survive it. These fire brigade approach is as a result of clueless people in goveenment. Igbos are known to be die hard and resilient people. Its going to make more billionaires out of them

4 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by aderadio1: 6:02pm On Feb 03
Cut and join approach will not take us out of this quagmire. A well thought out policy will.

Baba people's goodwill is running low. Don't let it this hardship boil over. Even we your supporters will not hesitate to change am for you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Samakus(m): 6:03pm On Feb 03
DeLaRue:

In some ways, it is to the credit of Mr Tinubu's administration that it is willing to follow this extremely tough path to redirect the economy from import-dependence to greater local production. For a politician facing election in just over 3 years to follow a path that may not show positive results for a few years, is truly brave.

The Nigerian economy was heading for the rocks after over 40 years of mismanagement. Tough decisions are needed to correct long term over dependence dependence on imports.

That's the theory o.

Whether things happens like that in practice is a different matter, because Nigeria's situation often defy economic theory.

That's for a country that actually produces. What do we produce here?

Increasing import duty won't turn us overnight producers. Nigeria critical sectors lack capacity to produce. Insecurity and non existent power supply is a key contributor to that

Increasing import duty won't stop or slow down importation. It will only make imported goods super expensive. The bad news, we import virtually everything, so every thing skyrockets

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by DeLaRue: 6:04pm On Feb 03
Brendaniel:

Oga it might just lead to Venezuela or Zimbabwe as long as corruption is still in governance and your government officials are living large on the nations funds...

I agree, corruption and 'living large' have been a permanent feature of all Nigerian governments going back several decades.

I actually think the current government are taking some steps to correct these ills. Will they eradicate it...of course not.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by immortalcrown(m): 6:09pm On Feb 03
DeLaRue:

The Nigerian economy was heading for the rocks after over 40 years of mismanagement. Tough decisions are needed to correct long term over dependence on imports.

That's the theory o.

Whether things happen in practice like I stated above is a different matter, because Nigeria's situation often defy economic theory.
Na so dem close borders but no gain.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by laivwire(m): 6:20pm On Feb 03
DeLaRue:

In some ways, it is to the credit of Mr Tinubu's administration that it is willing to follow this extremely tough path to redirect the economy from import dependence to greater local production.

You can't drive transitions at this pace and at the expense of lives. Are there up to 10 basic amenities in high demand and wholly manufactured in Nigeria? Even the food we consume is grown with imported seeds and agrochemicals. By devaluing the naira, BAT expected increased FDI. Are we seeing that now?

Past administrations have attempted this transition even in more subtle and softer ways and had to backtrack: Obasanjo, Jonathan.

By increasing import duties, they intend to stifle demand for Fx at the expense of Nigerians but that doesn't solve the problem. Vehicle duties, import bans have been increasing for years and they only make things tougher for the average person, they do not reduce their demand.

Instead of the administration introducing palliatives to cushion this transition (like increasing the minimum wage or providing subsidized transport), they are more concerned about increasing import duties and taking hands off the price regulation of vital resources to save face.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by stacyadams: 6:24pm On Feb 03
Brendaniel:

..it's a good thing..maybe by the time hunger waya us Wella we go enter streets go aso rock grin

We are almost getting there small small

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pictures Of Governor Sullivan Chime In Enugu / Akpabio Deported Non-akwa Ibom Indigenes To Lagos / Anyone Saying Chibok Girls Will Return Is Lying – Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.