Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,914 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours (26924 Views)

CBN Raises Interest Rate (MPR) To 22.75% / Kiki Osinbajo Pens Down Message To Her Father As He Begin Another 4 years / Nigeria Is Finished If Buhari Remains For Another 4 Years - Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Paraman: 6:27pm On Feb 03
It might lead to decrease in importation. That means the need for dollar will also decrease by a little margin

1 Like

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Great0ne1: 6:38pm On Feb 03
DeLaRue:

You think so, but that's not the reality.

There is a pain point at which demand for many imported goods will fall fast. People will simply start buying less and less of them. Whether that pain point is at N1500, N1800, or N2000 to a dollar, I don't know.

But the CBN will have the data. They know. If N1500 doesn't stiffle imports to the level they want, I suspect the CBN will not mind seeing naira close to N2,000 to a dollar.

In some ways, it is to the credit of Mr Tinubu's administration that it is willing to follow this extremely tough path to redirect the economy from import-dependence to greater local production. For a politician facing election in just over 3 years to follow a path that may not show positive results for a few years, is truly brave.

The Nigerian economy was heading for the rocks after over 40 years of mismanagement. Tough decisions are needed to correct long term over dependence on imports.

That naira/dollar pain point is the point at which local production of certain goods starts becoming more viable than importing the same goods. This should translate to us producing more of what we need locally. This will lead to more job creation, less pressure on the naira, and a stronger, more balanced economy in the long term.

But this approach comes with a lot of economic pain initially, as the country is witnessing now.

That's the theory o.

Whether things happen in practice like I stated above is a different matter, because Nigeria's situation often defy economic theory.

Idiot!! You can't even gaurantee 6 hours of electricity and your talking about local production. Pms and gas very expensive. Na your urine dem go use power production plant ? Most of you are complete morons

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by seunmsg(m): 6:44pm On Feb 03
CBN is finally going for broke. It’s a game of you go low and we go lower. The convergence between official and parallel market rate will be achieved at whatever cost. Until we get to that point, the volatility will continue. So,who blinks first between CBN and speculators?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by INTEGRITYA1(m): 6:48pm On Feb 03
It seems Government intend to discourage importation by using high Custom duty as tool.
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by chopnaira: 6:49pm On Feb 03
They are attacking the demand for dollars by increasing import duty to decrease importation. Just CBN governors increase interest rate to reduce inflation.
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Rilwayne001: 6:51pm On Feb 03
immortalcrown:
Raising import duty now means increasing the cost of living.
When I did Economics as a subject in secondary school, I was taught import duty is used to control inflow of foreign goods. That is, low import duty attracts more foreign goods while high import duty discourages patronage of foreign goods.
But today in Nigeria, high import duty does not decrease the demand for foreign goods because consumers in Nigeria refuse to give up on foreign goods. But I don't blame the consumers. The government does not control the standard of local goods. Using local goods is suicidal in Nigeria. Almost everything is faked at traders' backyards.
Some people may praise BAT for this new import duty. The praisers will claim the new import duty will boost Nigerian economy by promoting local goods. But it is not true. Buhari closed borders with the same logic but life has been getting worse after the border closure.

While it’s important for government to play their role of the safety of local products, why are we always blaming the government for everything, even something that we can call our ourselves to take responsibilities for?

People producing these fake products are Nigerians like you and I.

If government is trying its best to get everything working but some of us are sabotaging the efforts, why do we continue to blame government but not the saboteurs?

1 Like

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by bigcasava1(m): 6:51pm On Feb 03
Untill now winners and redeem G/O have not condemn this govt. They are killing innocent people everyday and kidnap innocent people everyday they remain mute, unlike when it was buhari govt.

2 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Benwallt(m): 6:51pm On Feb 03
immortalcrown:

When I did Economics as a subject in secondary school, I was taught import duty is used to control inflow of foreign goods. That is, low import duty attracts more foreign goods while high import duty discourages patronage of foreign goods.

But today in Nigeria, high import duty does not decrease the demand for foreign goods because consumers in Nigeria refuse to give up on foreign goods. But I don't blame the consumers. The government does not control the standard of local goods. Using local goods is suicidal in Nigeria. Almost everything is faked at traders' backyards.

Some people may praise BAT for this new import duty. The praisers will claim the new import duty will boost Nigerian economy by promoting local goods. But it is not true. Buhari closed borders with the same logic but life has been getting worse after the border closure.

I got the needed answer in your last paragraph. The attempt is to lower import or discourage it to some extent so we can look inward.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by casualobserver: 6:51pm On Feb 03
Penguin2:
Awalokan normally 🤡

Only fools and clowns would be surprised at what is going on right now because we warned, shouted and screamed on top of our voices that this man has nothing to offer but they preferred “Awalokan” to a sensible candidate.

This was same way we warned that Buhari had nothing to offer but they said it was hate. We ended up wasting 8 years of our National life and getting dragged 50 years backwards.

Now we warned that this mannequin was even going to be a bigger disaster but they called us IPOB.

You fools should enjoy the commodity you purchased.

When you remember that 99% of what we use in Nigeria is imported and will all be affected by this clearance rate, that’s when you will realize it’s not a joke.

Ndi ala!
But excuse me, Tinubu is only doing what Peter so I himself said he would do.

Obi said
1: he would remove subsidy
2: he would abolish the artificial exchange rate

3 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by tommy589(m): 6:52pm On Feb 03
DeLaRue:

There is a pain point at which demand for many imported goods will fall fast. People will simply start buying less and less of them. Whether that pain point is at N1500, N1800, or N2000 to a dollar, I don't know.

But the CBN will have the data. They know. If N1500 doesn't stiffle imports to the level they want, I suspect the CBN will not mind seeing naira close to N2,000 to a dollar.

In some ways, it is to the credit of Mr Tinubu's administration that it is willing to follow this extremely tough path to redirect the economy from import-dependence to greater local production. For a politician facing election in just over 3 years to follow a path that may not show positive results for a few years, is truly brave.

The Nigerian economy was heading for the rocks after over 40 years of mismanagement. Tough decisions are needed to correct long term over dependence on imports.

That naira/dollar pain point is the point at which local production of certain goods starts becoming more viable than importing the same goods. This should translate to us producing more of what we need locally. This will lead to more job creation, less pressure on the naira, and a stronger, more balanced economy in the long term.

But this approach comes with a lot of economic pain initially, as the country is witnessing now.

That's the theory o.

Whether things happen in practice like I stated above is a different matter, because Nigeria's situation often defy economic theory.

He is brave knowing this may cost him reelection.

This measure to discourage importation is going to take many years as you mentioned. And probably many years after he has left to see the result
I am not sure their are serious cotton and tobacco farmers as it was in the past. Some manufacturers,like textiles and cigarettes makers have been disconnected for decades from their local suppliers..

Are these manufacturers/importers going to go back to local production instead of importation that offers less work force and like zero labor/management face off
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by israelmao(m): 6:52pm On Feb 03
Raising import duties amidst high cost of commodities is another economic blunder.This is an import-dependent nation .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Caramia2020(m): 6:52pm On Feb 03
Is like the government wants to reduce the population of the country? That's y they are using these various strategies. Open reduce the population.

1 Like

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by slowice(m): 6:54pm On Feb 03
immortalcrown:

There are no local alternatives to most of the foreign goods imported into the country. And you are typing this rubbish with a low budget foreign used phone.

4 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Lemos14: 6:54pm On Feb 03
casualobserver:

But excuse me, Tinubu is only doing what Peter so I himself said he would do.

Obi said
1: he would remove subsidy
2: he would abolish the artificial exchange rate

You people are despicable . This deflection tactic is outdated. Obi is currently not the C in C. Anything else?

6 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Elliotwaveforec: 6:55pm On Feb 03
seunmsg:
CBN is finally going for broke. It’s a game of you go low and we go lower. The convergence between official and parallel market rate will be achieved at whatever cost. Until we get to that point, the volatility will continue. So,who blinks first between CBN and speculators?
You're the only intelligent poster so far! The gap must be closed and no more parallel market.

CBN working now unlike before
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by slowice(m): 6:56pm On Feb 03
Still teaching Peter OBI a lesson?

2 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by onatisi(m): 6:56pm On Feb 03
Tinubu says we should start planting cassava and maize
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Herkim(m): 6:57pm On Feb 03
Penguin2:
Awalokan normally 🤡

Only fools and clowns would be surprised at what is going on right now because we warned, shouted and screamed on top of our voices that this man has nothing to offer but they preferred “Awalokan” to a sensible candidate.

This was same way we warned that Buhari had nothing to offer but they said it was hate. We ended up wasting 8 years of our National life and getting dragged 50 years backwards.

Now we warned that this mannequin was even going to be a bigger disaster but they called us IPOB.

When you remember that 99% of what we use in Nigeria is imported and will all be affected by this clearance rate, that’s when you will realize it’s not a joke.

Ndi ala!

Which sensible candidate

They are the same with the same capitalist ideology.

2 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Faposky95: 6:57pm On Feb 03
Penguin2:
Awalokan normally 🤡

Ndi ala!

One thing I know in this country that saddens me is that most are not Nigerians at heart.
Moslem wey go break your head if you yap their boss go call blood of Jesu if motor enter bump and you look outside window dey ask conductor, who get that tyre wey dey role go so.....?!
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by StarRida: 6:58pm On Feb 03
immortalcrown:

When I did Economics as a subject in secondary school, I was taught import duty is used to control inflow of foreign goods. That is, low import duty attracts more foreign goods while high import duty discourages patronage of foreign goods

so what exactly are you saying please
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Lemos14: 6:59pm On Feb 03
slowice:
Still teaching Peter OBI a lesson?

Cc

Casualobserver
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by rspy: 6:59pm On Feb 03
Nigerians keep on enduring like cowards, don't worry your reward Is in heaven

1 Like

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by jmoore(m): 6:59pm On Feb 03
Rilwayne001:

While it’s important for government to play their role of the safety of local products, why are we always blaming the government for everything, even something that we can call our ourselves to take responsibilities for?

People producing these fake products are Nigerians like you and I.

If government is trying its best to get everything working but some of us are sabotaging the efforts, why do we continue to blame government but not the saboteurs?
The government cannot arrest and prosecute the saboteurs? Why are they called government if they can't govern?

2 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Sinayoko1: 7:00pm On Feb 03
I don't know what to say.
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by casualobserver: 7:00pm On Feb 03
Lemos14:

You people are despicable . This deflection tactic is outdated. Obi is currently not the C in C. Anything else?

He said it before the elections and said it only last week that he agrees fully with subsidy removal. His only problem according to him is that the benefits of the subsidy removal are not being felt.

The point here is you have no point. Whoever won the election would have removed subsidies and unified the exchange rate or else the person had no clue. So complaining about a necessary but bitter pill because it is not your guy in power even though he would have done the same is hypocrisy!!!

4 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Akwamkpuruamu: 7:01pm On Feb 03
Poor men go soon chop grass

1 Like

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Lemos14: 7:03pm On Feb 03
casualobserver:

He said it before the elections and said it only last week that he agrees fully with subsidy removal. His only problem according to him is that the benefits of the subsidy removal are not being felt.

The point here is you have no point. Whoever won the election would have removed subsidies and unified the exchange rate or else the person had no clue. So complaining about a necessary but bitter pill because it is not your guy in power even though he would have done the same is hypocrisy!!!

Well for your information I didnt read whatever garbage you wrote up there. Obi is sensible enough not remove subsidy on the very first day of stealing power. Please have shame. At least for the sake of your children.

2 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by casualobserver: 7:03pm On Feb 03
Lemos14:

Cc

Casualobserver

Oga please don’t copy me o. Me I am not feeling any pain o! If anything g I am better off. Copy those whose lifestyle and income in dependent on the economy of Nigeria and want to vote in charlatans. Copy those who want a great country without sacrifice. Copy those who feel they have an entitlement to harvest without sowing. I am based in Nigeria but we are not the same o! Don’t think because we are interacting on Nairaland our economic power and source of income and immunity from the Nigerian economy is the same. It is not me that will suffer for bad choices you make. Whatever happens in Nigeria I am good and if it gets too too bad I have British passport.

The butter pill Nigerians have avoided taking for years they will take and are taking now and if they reject it, the pill they will take in future will be even more unpalatable. Better buckle up and adjust your lifestyles.

2 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Brendaniel: 7:04pm On Feb 03
DeLaRue:

I agree, corruption and 'living large' have been a permanent feature of all Nigerian governments going back several decades.

I actually think the current government are taking some steps to correct these ills. Will they eradicate it...of course not.

Oga I have not seen any step this government has taken to correct it....

1 Like

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Anatolia: 7:04pm On Feb 03
DeLaRue:

That's the theory o.

Have you ever felt the pangs of a dying man because that is what you are suggesting. I perceive you may come from a privileged position. If you were drinking only garri and garri is no longer affordable, you would bear it. You prescribe for people what you cannot bear if you were in their position.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ondo Decides:report Live From Your Area In Ondo State / Pictures Of The Ongoing Urban Renewal Of Eket, Akwa Ibom State By State Govt. / Yahaya Bello Begins Construction Of Ganaja Flyover Lokoja: Pics & Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.